PDA

View Full Version : My HTC ONE Journey

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 10:14 AM
HISTORY

Former owner of iPhone 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S. After having problems with defective Nexus 4's, I went with the iPhone 5 because I wasn't initially impressed with either the S4 or the One. The lenient Apple return policy also afforded me time to make my decision. The jailbroken iPhone 5 actually came close to being a keeper to tie me over until more options came out later in the year, but its instability and the 4" screen couldn't prevail. I had to make a decision.

Ultimately, HTC's amazing offers and value pushed me toward pre-ordering the One. Here are my thoughts...

THOUGHTS

First, let's get the bad stuff out of the way...

-A lot of Sense makes no sense

I could give you example after example, like how you can only configure the dock icons from the app drawer, or how if you want to bring an icon from the app drawer to a home screen, you have to drag it up to the "Shortcut" button and then drag it back down to a home screen. Or how the App Switcher only shows nine apps, and if you swipe one away, it shows eight. Where's the tenth opened app? Who knows! You just get 8 out of 9 with one blank. Swipe more away, more blanks. The App Switcher also does weird things like separate out certain Settings into their own separate "app" so it wastes more space:

http://i.imgur.com/BbKCFRF.png

Why are the Settings, Network Settings, APNs all separated? And yes, believe you me, I had more than 10 apps opened, but because I swiped some away, I get blanks. Maybe this is Sense's way of managing the RAM? I also find the App Switcher strangely cumbersome to use. It squeezes things into a small tile and too often it's hard to tell what app is what. I find myself having to really look for the app I'm trying to switch to, instead of just recognizing it right away.

There are other examples. Like if you launch an app from the App Drawer, when you hit the Home button, it takes you back to the App Drawer. That's just bizarre. If you want to go home to an actual HOME screen, you have to tap Home again.

The question comes down to this: Why would you make Android harder to use than it is? For example, being unable to change your wallpaper from the homescreen (a standard Android feature as far back as I can remember) or the aforementioned issues make no sense. Again, why make things that used to be easier harder and more roundabout to do? Some of these things may not be a big deal (because who changes their wallpaper that often, right?) but others make for a frustrating experience.

The lack of toggles as a standard feature in the pull down menu makes Sense feel behind the competition. Lack of 4.2 also means no single-finger notification expansion either (it requires two fingers, which was a mistake of 4.1 even when it was on stock Android that Google saw to fix right away). And apps like DashClock Widget, one of the most popular and useful apps, isn't compatible because 4.1 doesn't support lockscreen widgets. So when will we get 4.2? Great question. Maybe June when the rumored M4 comes with JB 4.2?

And lastly, the persistent on-screen menu button bar is ugly, obtrusive, a waste of space, and unremovable. It's puzzling how HTC forgot to keep the configurable back button to long press as the menu button. This oversight reeks of carelessness. But they have an opportunity to amend this. Just include it with the 4.2 update. It's up to them to deliver on this. The on-screen menu button pushes third party keyboards (like Swiftkey) up. And it is sometimes there even when there is already a software dedicated menu button from the app. Strange!

http://i.imgur.com/U8u09K5.png

As for Blinkfeed, it's okay. I give HTC props for trying something different, but they should have given people the option to remove it. What if someone likes Sense 5 but doesn't like Blinkfeed? It becomes wasted space, then -- bloatware at its worse; right on a home screen and impossible to remove. If you don't use it, it just sits there with ugly blank tiles. Not to mention I could have a far less obtrusive and, more importantly, a better experience with Flipboard. BlinkFeed really should have been optional.

Ultimately, after a couple of days of being driven nuts by Sense, I had to switch launchers. I went with Nova Launcher, you know, where things actually make sense and Android is allowed to be what it's supposed to be. There were a few impressive things about Sense, but it's the sense-less things that ultimately hurt the experience.

-There's no beating around the bush: The home button configuration sucks

And it sucks even more--like salt on a wound--by the fact that it's been confirmed that the HTC logo is an area that does register touch:

UAIHUfHD9cQ&feature=share&list=UUuhw3rQMHO_Oul-CMi8yp3A

So, why not, HTC? Really, does anyone know the answer to why they went with this configuration? Has there been any [good] explanation?

It would have been symbolic, too... HTC is home.

Or, even better, why not go gesture base like Blackberry has with the Z10? That would have been special. But instead, they put the home button on the right, and for some reason or another, the touch point is either too small or not sensitive enough because it's easy to either miss the home button or just not get a response (it's hard to tell which it is). There are way too many times where I have to hit it again to get it going. The location of it doesn't help with aiming either because you're angling your thumb in such an awkward way.

This is made worse when trying to access the App Switcher, which requires two taps of the Home button. If you miss it the first time or it otherwise doesn't register, you're tapping at least four times just to "quickly" switch apps. Or sometimes it'll only register one of your two taps and it takes you to the home screen instead. Frustrating.

At the end of the day, some will hate it, some will be indifferent, after all, Android devices in the past have had the home button in different places. But maybe that's precisely my point. Those were Androids of the past and I can't help but feel that HTC took a step back in time. There's just no beating around the bush on this one; HTC made a bizarre decision with the home button configuration and there are negative consequences.

-The camera is mediocre

HTC's gamble with 4MP Ultrapixels is, in my opinion, not going to pay off. I've tweaked the settings, I've done a factory reset, I've cleaned my camera glass (by the way, it's a little annoying that it's positioned so low. And when my index finger reaches across the back to hit that out of reach power button it causes smears so I'm constantly wiping to make sure the glass is clean. Annoying).

I've done all I could, but the camera just doesn't deliver in the ways I'd hope it would. The pictures are grainy, noisy, lack color and honestly, the low light stuff isn't even that impressive. It's nice, but even so, everything else is a compromise.

Smartphones have constantly been striving to replace standard pocket cameras and for the most part they've reached that level. Then to read that the One's camera is meant best for "Facebook, Instagram or email" quality pictures feels like a big leap backwards. The 4 megapixels really do matter and you'll be thinking about it in every shot. There's no getting around it. Zoe and some of the other features are really cool, but what's the point if the resolution and quality aren't the best it could be? The Gallery is alive with moving pictures, but what's the point if the pictures aren't impressive?

By the way, the Gallery is cool when it comes alive, but stupidly designed navigation-wise. Also, on the first level in the Gallery, you are forced to have a "Friends" section which links to your Facebook friends. So if you're signed into Facebook, it bombards your Gallery with your friend's pics. It's completely obnoxious that they force this mess on you. But if you're not signed into Facebook, it's just an ugly long gray empty bar. I've researched it and as far as I know, there's no way to be signed into Facebook and opt out of that Friends gallery (even if all your Facebook syncs are off). Big thumbs down for this. Sharing is a little weird, too. It's not a biggie but you have to pick where you want to share it to first, then select the pictures. Feels backwards.

I think there will be two camps here. People who think HTC made the right choice by bucking the megapixel trend and trying something unique, and people who think the compromises aren't worth it. How often do you take shots in the dark or in low light? Can flash solve that problem for you? Are you willing to compromise almost everything else to have good low-light shots? These are the questions to ask to see which camp you fall under.

I would not have minded if they just gave us a solid 13 MP camera. There would've been nothing wrong with that. It is what it is and I apparently don't have the latest camera software, so I'm hoping things will get better. Either way, it's another waiting game with HTC.

-Lack of AWS HSPA+ is a shame for T-Mobile users

This phone is unlocked meant for all GSM carriers, except the one it works on ideally is AT&T because it supports all their bands. For T-Mobile, it supports only HSPA (21 MB/s) and LTE, and doesn't support HSPA+ (42 MB/s) which is what the LTE network falls back to if it should not find LTE.

In NYC HSPA is refarmed but not always reliable. You walk remotely into a building, you lose service or it drops to EDGE/2G. In a car moving? It gets intermittent service. It's sad to still see "E" on a 2013 super smartphone. Some of this is T-Mobile's fault, some of this is HTC's fault. If HTC included the AWS HSPA+ band, it would've covered more ground.

I am optimistic T-Mobile's network will get better when they light up LTE in the summer. For now, be aware if you're buying the unlocked/Developer's Edition from HTC for use on Tmo.

Onto some of the a-little-less-sucky stuff...

-Battery life is good enough

I do almost the same thing on my morning commute. The commute is almost the same distance and time-wise. A little email, a text or two, Flipboard, and browsing the web, then a game or two if the news is slow. When I get into my office, that's usually how I gauge how the battery life fares. It's not scientific, but that's the only time I can do a consistent comparison. Then I see how it goes for the rest of the day.

The One comes in at around the 85% mark. This is not bad, but I wish it was better. For comparison's sake, the iPhone 5 would come in at around 92-94%... The Nexus 4 around 86-88%... and the Galaxy Nexus in at low 90s. Of course, all those phones had their later and more refined software running. So hopefully it'll get better for the One in the future?

It seems to have good standby time. If I don't use my phone for a few hours and pick it up later, the percentage drops maybe 1% or so. As for the rest of the day, with moderate use, it seems to make it into the evening. I've come home with ~30% around 7PM.

Overall, I think the battery is serviceable. It definitely could be better and I do find myself sometimes minding it more than I want to -- as in, thinking about it or making sure I keep an eye on it. Maybe software updates will improve the battery efficiency down the line. One can hope. For now, it's good enough, and shouldn't be a deterrent from getting this device. For HTC, this is a huge compliment.

-Yeah, the power/wake button is a little hard to reach.

But it's not as bad as it was when I had the HTC One X, which I think is where most of my fears about it came from. I still disagree with HTC for their stubborn insistency on placing the power/wake button at the top of their devices. I've said this a million times: as devices get larger, it just makes more sense to place such an important button where it's more readily and easily reachable. I shouldn't have to do any sort of stretching or shuffling to reach it. This is the only button to access your device and without proper widgets/apps the only button to sleep your device too. Why put it out or reach? Nokia, LG, Sony, Samsung, and others have figured it out. (And please don't bring up the IR blaster. No one said the IR blaster had to be the same as the power/wake button.) Don't know why HTC is so stubborn about this. They clearly must have thought about it, but think they're still making the right decision to put it on top. Look at the Droid DNA. Top-center power/wake button. Not an IR Blaster.

While there is shuffling involved in one handed use, thankfully, thanks to the ergonomics of the One, it's relatively manageable. Your mileage may vary, of course. Also, ironically, being so far left makes it just a hair easier to reach with the right hand index finger (than say top right like the HTC One X); the distance is less to "travel" so to speak for the right hand index finger.

Some other minor annoyances involving the location of the power button: The camera glass easily gets smudged when the index finger is reaching up to it. I find myself wanting to use two hands to hit the button more than I want to. And I do find myself inadvertently hitting the volume keys sometimes when I reach up for the power button just like some reviews have warned. It's a little frustrating. I think it's ironic that I'm doing that with this configuration because that's people's defense for the power/wake button on top; so you don't accidentally hit the volume rockers. I've never accidentally hit the volume rockers on a device that had both the volume rockers and power/wake buttons on the sides (opposite). But I'm doing it with the One. Go figure.

Overall, it's not as disastrous as I thought it would be, but its location still doesn't make sense and is cumbersome to use. HTC, stop being so stubbron about this and get with the program.

-Kind of bizarre the USB port is off-center at the bottom. But whatever. Sort of gets in the way when you're using it with your right hand while it's charging. Plus, I imagine it could be annoying for people who already own certain types of docks.

-Notification Light, how I missed thee! But wish you could do more. I love me my notification lights and HTC made this one subtle and placed it cleverly. I just wish it had more usable colors. Also, when charging, there's a consistent red light that stays on, which is fine, but then it doesn't blink or change colors or anything when I get notifications. Weird.

Onto things I like...

-BoomSpeakers seriously rock! Not only do the front facing speaker grills give the device an edgy and aggressive look, they function wonderfully too. You really just have to experience a call on speaker phone for yourself, or Google Navigation in the car, or just playing games/music from the device to really understand how awesome it is. Also, the music quality in general is superb. Music sounds great through the earphones. Tons better than it ever did on the iPhone 5. The One overall is a real audio pleasure.

-It's hard not to fall in love with the design. This has already been discussed to death. It looks great, feels great, and is fun to show off. It really is what the iPhone 5 should have been. The ergonomics also make the device feel great in the hand. It's a lot narrower than I thought it was, and I think that helps.

As for build quality, it feels sturdy and seems well built, but only time will tell if it's just all looks or actually is well built. I sure hope it stands the test of time. I worry about the chamfered edges. And the inability to repair the device easily (or repair it at all?) is worrisome for the future.

I'm using the device with a clear skin on the back, and a generic static screen protector on front. The skin protector is barely noticeable, and I love it:

http://i.imgur.com/ButZ8Cy.jpg

-4.7 inch screen and quality is picture perfect. Screen size, the crispness, the way things look and pop... just everything about the screen is perfect. That's all there is to say. I also personally love that it's 4.7 inches. It makes reaching across the screen a little easier. Not going with the fashionable 5" screen is one "bucking of the trend" that I actually commend HTC for.

-IR Blaster is pretty nifty. It works very well with my TV and Cable Box. Just a handy and convenient feature to have for those times you have your device in hand and the remote is out of reach. NOTE: This doesn't mean it should be the power/wake button. Neat idea, but I still stand by my feelings about the power/wake button being on top as 100% unnecessary.

DECISION TIME

I think it comes down to this: The HTC One is a little bit of the best of both worlds from Apple and from Google... with just a touch from Apple's bad side in some respects with Sense forcing certain things on you... and just a touch from Google's bad side in some respects with the average camera.

It's also amazing to me how a few key decisions can mar an otherwise good experience. The home configuration button just makes no sense. I don't now how else to put it. And it affects more than just the look and feel. It affects how you use the App Switcher, it affects how you use Google Now. It affects how you use the very home button itself.

Likewise, the camera gamble is a big mistake. Maybe the biggest. There's just too many compromises. This is probably the hardest thing to reconcile about this device. This might improve over the next camera software update, though.

Having said all that... I have to admit I am pretty enamored by the One. I won't say it's a keeper until I give the S4 a shot, but I will say I want it to be a keeper. Hopefully HTC will stay in the game with future updates; they will have to prove that they will support their own flagship product with timely and meaningful updates. So far, the fact that they're mum about 4.2 is deservedly worrisome.

Lastly, I won't deny value playing a big part in me wanting to keep this device. The 64GB dev edition is only $650 unlocked and I LOVE having 64GB. Factor in HTC's wonderful trade-in program which will get me back $100 for an old Blackberry Curve that was otherwise just gathering dust and you have a real bargain. They threw in a free case for the delay and free overnight shipping, too. All in all, I spent exactly $549 (tax free) to get one of the biggest smartphones of 2013 with 64GB. You can't beat nor ignore that. It's difficult to ignore what's coming later this year too. If I should, say for example, want the Moto Phone X or the 2013 Nexus, I'll feel much better about spending $550 dollars to have used the One for less than a year. Plus, with 64GB, the resale value would be higher, too. All these considerations will be major factors in my decision.

And because T-mobile delayed the S4 launch, I don't think I'll be able to get the device in hand to do a real side by side comparison in time (HTC only gives you 14 days). I may just have to pick out some time and use a live floor display model to compare. This is good news for the One and unfair to the S4, but that's Samsung's fault for the delay. These are circumstances beyond my control. I'll update in this thread my S4 impressions when I can.

For now, my journey with the One looks like it'll continue even if I think HTC made some flat-out stupid and senseless decisions here and there.

HTC, I'm rooting for you.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 10:20 AM
EDIT: The Dev Edition and the 32GB Unlocked HTC ONE from HTC's own website DOES support T-Mobile's LTE on the AWS band. It doesn't say it, but AWS is 1700/2100 MHz. That'll give you Tmo's LTE when it's lit up in your area.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 10:39 AM
EDIT: The Dev Edition and the 32GB Unlocked HTC ONE from HTC's own website DOES support T-Mobile's LTE on the AWS band. It doesn't say it, but AWS is 1700/2100 MHz. That'll give you Tmo's LTE when it's lit up in your area.

Garen
Apr 27, 2013, 10:45 AM
REGARDING T-MOBILE AND LTE...

I'm learning the unlocked and developer editions DO NOT support Tmobile's 1700 LTE bands.

What the heck. I thought it did. Argh, this really sucks.

I wonder if I should get the T-Mobile version now then... I lose 32GB but gain LTE. Thoughts?

That is what I did I returned my unlock 32G for T-Mobile version it was the right decision and I think you should do it if you'll be using it on T-Mobile network. Shame on HTC selling unlock phones that only can fully be used on ATT network.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 10:47 AM
That is what I did I returned my unlock 32G for T-Mobile version it was the right decision and I think you should do it if you'll be using it on T-Mobile network. Shame on HTC selling unlock phones that only can fully be used on ATT network.

Where are you, if you don't mind my asking? NYC? And if so, is the coverage much much better with LTE than with only HSPA?

It's frustrating that it's not even HSPA+. Just standard HSPA.

HTC sucks for doing this.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
For now, my journey with the One looks like it'll continue even if I think HTC made some flat-out stupid and senseless decisions here and there.

HTC, I'm rooting for you.

Feck Me bud ! Wasn't expecting that :eek: :)

I knew what you would find troublesome, but hey look at my situation now. I'm here not 'anticipating' the delivery of my S4, but almost 'fearing' it.

Memory management / Lag / Touchwiz / Build materials (as opposed to build quality) and yet I'm going to give it a chance simply because I have the opportunity to do so.

If I can't get on with the S4, in all likelihood I'll be back onto the HTC One in 14 days and I'll buy a cheap digital camera to stick in the car when I want better picture quality from a camera (rather than just snapping for social media).

The design of the One is I have no doubt going to be seen in years to come as a classic (yes all classics are flawed in some way). It is a beautiful device and that screen is amazing. The way the black just dissapears into the bezel top and bottom.

At least you have a dev phone. You can guarantee you will be able to load up a custom rom which will address most of your issues including using the centre button for something.

Hopefully HTC will stay in the game with future updates; they will have to prove that they will support their own flagship product with timely and meaningful updates. So far, the fact that they're mum about 4.2 is deservedly worrisome.

Actually I'm surprised at the speediness they are rolling out the 1.29 camera / software fixes update in Europe to not only sim free unbranded handsets, but to carrier handsets too. Normally carriers handsets are left straggling behind, but in this instance its only been at most 5 days. That's surprisingly refreshing and leaves me hopeful.

I imagine they wont just push out 4.2 for updating sakes, they will want to add or refine some of sense too. More blinkfeed integration with apps, more sources for news etc.. Just updating to 4.2 for the sake wont bring that many extra benefits.

So you might see JB 4.2.2 update & Sense 5.0.1 or some such I suspect.

LorPGDL
Apr 27, 2013, 11:20 AM
Why do Americans have to pay so much less for electronics? Seriously, 550 for 64gb!

there is only one store here in Germany offering that version for 770 €!

which is around a 1000 USD!

which is almost double that what you paid!

this $ = € parity in electronics has to stop. i feel like we subsidize your phones, they seriously cannot be making a profit in the US with those prices.

edit: read today that with the upcoming 4.2.2 update the 3 dot menu will disappear.

edit 2: im getting my one tomorrow - i also fear the mediocre camera, im seriously wondering how brian klug of anandtech got such great results, the "real users" seem to contradict his views 180 °

Kashsystems
Apr 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
Why do Americans have to pay so much less for electronics? Seriously, 550 for 64gb!

this $ = € parity in electronics has to stop. i feel like we subsidize your phones, they seriously cannot be making a profit in the US with those prices.

Taxes, transportation duties, and tariffs.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
I may switch to a tmobile version. I didn't realize the unlocked one from HTC doesn't support lte on tmobile. It's a really stupid situation. I lose 32gb and direct updates from HTC. Kind of annoyed.

But I feel coverage and data speeds (something used every day) is more important.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
I may switch to a tmobile version. I didn't realize the unlocked one from HTC doesn't support lte on tmobile. It's a really stupid situation. I lose 32gb and direct updates from HTC. Kind of annoyed.

But I feel coverage and data speeds (something used every day) is more important.

Annoying but if you need those LTE speeds / support 32gb is not too much of a trade off unless you have loads of stuff on your handset.

LorPGDL
Apr 27, 2013, 12:31 PM
Taxes, transportation duties, and tariffs.

i dont think its that simple. i dont know the exact import duties the eu charges or the us, but believe they are not drastically different. ok we get 19 % vat on top, but usually the us states have vat as well, maybe not as high.

transportation costs are of negligible difference im sure.

still doesnt explain the huge price difference. maybe the us citizens have a much lower median disposable income than the eu ones, but i doubt it.

Garen
Apr 27, 2013, 12:31 PM
Where are you, if you don't mind my asking? NYC? And if so, is the coverage much much better with LTE than with only HSPA?

It's frustrating that it's not even HSPA+. Just standard HSPA.

HTC sucks for doing this.

I'm in Los Angeles BTW T-Mobile has 30 days remorse buyer program and so far with exception of Pasadena which my I5 on ATT is getting 70 down and 25 up TM has bested the ATT without the LTE. The HTC is getting between 5 to 16 down and up to 4.5 up in my work area (La Crescenta, CA).

Kashsystems
Apr 27, 2013, 01:07 PM
i dont think its that simple. i dont know the exact import duties the eu charges or the us, but believe they are not drastically different. ok we get 19 % vat on top, but usually the us states have vat as well, maybe not as high.

transportation costs are of negligible difference im sure.

still doesnt explain the huge price difference. maybe the us citizens have a much lower median disposable income than the eu ones, but i doubt it.

Ok to make things easier look at this.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/example-calculation-import-duty-and-taxes-for-a-set-of-golf-clubs/

johnjefferson
Apr 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
<snipped>

I have also seen you posting in the HTC One thread about not liking the battery or the camera plus what you listed above. Thats a lot of complaining for someone who said just a few days ago "I can't tell you how happy I am to be back on Android. It's like waking up from a bad nightmare. Almost everything is so much better and easier on Android. It's such a liberating feeling." Sure about that? :)

bmac4
Apr 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
HISTORY

Former owner of iPhone 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S. After having problems with defective Nexus 4's, I went with the iPhone 5 because I wasn't initially impressed with either the S4 or the One. The lenient Apple return policy also afforded me time to make my decision.

So after your first week or so with the phone do you feel like this is a phone you could keep? I know you had a messed up nexus 4, and the iPhone 5 screen was just too limiting. So is this phone enough to make you keep it? I know you are not a big fan of the camera either, but you did like the galaxy nexus (which I have to say was one of my favorite phone of all time), but it did not have a good camera either. Can you look past that and still like the phone?

LorPGDL
Apr 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
Ok to make things easier look at this.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/example-calculation-import-duty-and-taxes-for-a-set-of-golf-clubs/

apparently according to that site there is no import duty to the us nor the eu- so the only difference is vat. transportation cost is negligible, probably around the same.

so yeah, please enlighten me on the huge difference in price?

fredaroony
Apr 27, 2013, 02:49 PM

edit: read today that with the upcoming 4.2.2 update the 3 dot menu will disappear.

edit 2: im getting my one tomorrow - i also fear the mediocre camera, im seriously wondering how brian klug of anandtech got such great results, the "real users" seem to contradict his views 180 °

Don't feel alone..Australia is one of the biggest ripoff countries in the world. Having said that, the HTC One is still cheaper here than what you're paying.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 02:50 PM
I have also seen you posting in the HTC One thread about not liking the battery or the camera plus what you listed above. Thats a lot of complaining for someone who said just a few days ago "I can't tell you how happy I am to be back on Android. It's like waking up from a bad nightmare. Almost everything is so much better and easier on Android. It's such a liberating feeling." Sure about that? :)

... um, okay. I'm not sure what your point is.

Phokus
Apr 27, 2013, 03:02 PM
Just install nova launcher and all the things you hate about Sense will be gone.

From what i've seen, the camera seems really good, compared to other cameras, even the iphone 5. Yes, the daytime camera is 'worse', but that's only if you're zooming into the picture for 1:1 pixels on your screen or you're printing out a poster. Nobody really does that. If i view the photo full screen, i really don't see the difference.

Low light photo making makes a huge dfference and the One beats everyone else's pants off.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 03:17 PM
Just install nova launcher and all the things you hate about Sense will be gone.

Nova launcher is a godsend. In some ways, it's better than stock Android. This is how "skins" should be. It should add more features and make things easier. Nova does exactly that.

bmac4
Apr 27, 2013, 05:51 PM
Since Couch did not decide to reply to me I will ask you. You seemed to like the HTC One a bit more that he did. Do you think the One will be you long term phone? Did you like it enough to make it you main phone for a while?

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
Since Couch did not decide to reply to me I will ask you. You seemed to like the HTC One a bit more that he did. Do you think the One will be you long term phone? Did you like it enough to make it you main phone for a while?

Here is the dichotomy. A long term phone for me in the past few years is one that lasts 6 months....

But I know what you are asking and honestly if I didn't have the ability to flit around with phones then yes I'd be happy if I had to settle down with one phone only and if that was the HTC One yep, i'd be content.

It seriously is a beautiful handset with a lot of future potential in the choices HTC has made with it.

I think features like blinkfeed which ok is limited at the moment, with proper developer support it could be a genuine game changer. Imagine not only RSS, but your other apps utilising it too. Instagram updates, movie reviews, sports results etc.... It could be a great hub and a really neat way of aggregating your daily app usage into an easily accessible overview.

The HTC One is the first Android handset that I have had NO lag or performance issues, or even needed to consider memory management and 32GB or 64GB goes a long way to justify no micro SD slot.

I love the fact that they have 'rethought' the app drawer and made it more personal. The fact if you wanted you could do away with home screens and just have blinkfeed and the app drawer. Being able to arrange the app drawer and put folders inside is great. When you have a lot of apps, having to scroll through pages of apps is just annoying, especially if there is a lot of bloatware.

Thankfully HTC's minimal design means that there is a refreshing lack of bloatware and even carrier software seems to be minimal.

The speakers / boom sound may not be 'as loud' as you were led to believe, but the clarity and the depth of the sound from such a svelte device is a league beyond any smartphone currently available. Ringtones even sound majestic and full rather than all mid or high range frequency on most phones.

The TV software is well integrated and works very well too. From what I have seen of Samsung's software it actually looks more refined and useful too. I'll be able to confirm this shortly.

In fact just writing this response has made me question why I'm bothering even trying the S4 (other than camera) because the HTC One is one hell of a device.

The colour reproduction on the screen is phenomenal and the 4.7" was easily useable for me with one hand.

Even the stock keyboard on Sense 5 is one of the best stock keyboards available outside of 'swiftkey'. The predictive text is accurate and the swype keyboard is responsive and fast. I installed swiftkey, used it for a day and then went back to Sense 5 keyboard because I felt it was more accurate and more aesthetically in keeping.

Just as the iPhone 4 / 4S would be considered by many a design classic - I do think in 24 months time the HTC One will be looked at in the same light.

I also think the generally glowing appraisal from critics and the panning of the plastic in the recent S4 reviews will add further weight to the idea that the likes of Samsung will go ahead and start looking at matching build materials with build quality. I suspect the Note 3 will indeed be metal.

So yeah, I think the majority of those using the HTC One will be VERY Happy indeed with it.

Even HTC seems to be doing as much as it can to keep dev happy, with easy to unlock boot loader and quick rollout of updates. The difference in 12 months from the One X's often protracted rollout of updates between unlocked and carrier handsets to the HTC One's quick rollout regardless of territory and carrier is night and day and is clear evidence that they 'are' listening to consumer feedback.

If that continues we can assume that the HTC one will be HTC's most supported device.

The issue over its success will come down to marketing budgets and lets face it - samsung will spend millions upon millions more than HTC. But I still think HTC have a big hit on their hands.

Kashsystems
Apr 27, 2013, 08:20 PM
apparently according to that site there is no import duty to the us nor the eu- so the only difference is vat. transportation cost is negligible, probably around the same.

so yeah, please enlighten me on the huge difference in price?

Two things to start off with. HTC One is a Korean Company so it is Korea to the EU.

Now on to the duty calculator.

Assuming you had no trade in and 50 dollars for insurance and shipping.
Also using the point of Origin of Korea to Germany.

The duty calculator figures are:

Importing from: Korea
Importing to: Germany View country guide
The type of product, its value and where it was manufactured
Edit
Product description: HTC One
Product category: Mobile Phone (Upgrade account to get HS code)
Product value: US$574.99
Country of manufacture: Korea
The cost of shipping and insurance of importing
Edit
Shipping costs: US$25.00
Insurance costs: US$25.00
Calculation results
Edit
Total customs value: €480.80
- Duty: €0.00
- VAT: €91.35
Total import duty & taxes due: €91.35
Total landed cost: €572.15

Ok so here i have it for about 572 Euros

Now German carrier O2 is offering the 32 gigabyte HTC One at 661 Euros which equals about United States 881 dollars.

so we have about 89 Euro difference between the two.

Now that difference could be part of how input / output VAT works, exchange rates charges between the Korean Won and the Euro, or additional costs like storage or warehouse fees. Remember VAT is charge twice and the government gets the difference if my understanding is correct.

Hope this helps a little bit.

bmac4
Apr 27, 2013, 09:01 PM
Here is the dichotomy. A long term phone for me in the past few years is one that lasts 6 months....

Thanks for your response. It looks like a great device, and I would not mind trying it out. I can not justify buying it though because I have the nexus 4 and note 2. I love stock android so have no desire to lose the nexus 4. That is the one thing I was worry about with the One. All the HTC sense stuff. I am glad to hear that it seems to work more so than just be something to drag the phone down. I am not sure about your statement about is being the first android phone without lag. What was the last android phone you owned? Both the nexus 4 and note 2 neither have lag for me. Again thanks for the response and keep us posted on which device you like better.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your response. It looks like a great device, and I would not mind trying it out. I can not justify buying it though because I have the nexus 4 and note 2. I love stock android so have no desire to lose the nexus 4. That is the one thing I was worry about with the One. All the HTC sense stuff. I am glad to hear that it seems to work more so than just be something to drag the phone down. I am not sure about your statement about is being the first android phone without lag. What was the last android phone you owned? Both the nexus 4 and note 2 neither have lag for me. Again thanks for the response and keep us posted on which device you like better.

Sorry I didn't reply. I missed your post. I do plan to keep the One. I'm awaiting the camera software update since it seems unanimous that the results are much better. I'm hopeful that'll help me reconcile the hit or miss camera.

Read my OP for more in-depth details why I think One is ultimately a keeper despite HTC making some really stupid decisions.

----------

UPDATE: After some careful consideration, I've decided I am going to return the Dev Edition One and get the One through Tmobile.

I'm really annoyed that HTC made an unlocked GSM phone that is only LTE-capable with one network. That is stupid. What's the point of getting it if you're not on or planning to go to AT&T then?

As a T-Mobile user, you're stuck on HSPA 21 MB/s (not even the good HSPA+ which is 42 MB/s). And you'd think up to 21 MB/s is good enough, right? Except Tmobile's coverage sucks [in NYC]. I am constantly seeing "E" for Edge and "3G" on my device. That's unacceptable this day and age on a 2013 super smartphone.

Again, a huge knock against HTC.

So, reluctantly, I give up the extra 32GBs, the $100 Blackberry Curve trade-in, and the fact that I'll get updates directly from HTC (this one hurts the most).

And for trading all that, I'll get LTE with HSPA+ 42 MB/s to fall back on (and I guess WiFi calling). When you tally the math for the full priced Tmobile HTC One, it comes out to about $630 bucks after tax. That's significantly more than the $550 I paid for the Dev. Edition One (after $100 rebate from the trade-in).

That REALLY sucks, but ultimately, more reliable coverage and faster data service is more important to me. It's something I would use everyday.

Thoughts on whether I'm making the right decision or not?

bmac4
Apr 27, 2013, 10:30 PM
Sorry I didn't reply. I missed your post. I do plan to keep the One. I'm awaiting the camera software update since it seems unanimous that the results are much better. I'm hopeful that'll help me reconcile the hit or miss camera.

Read my OP for more in-depth details why I think One is ultimately a keeper despite HTC making some really stupid decisions.

----------

UPDATE: After some careful consideration, I've decided I am going to return the Dev Edition One and get the One through Tmobile.

I'm really annoyed that HTC made an unlocked GSM phone that is only LTE-capable with one network. That is stupid. What's the point of getting it if you're not on or planning to go to AT&T then?

As a T-Mobile user, you're stuck on HSPA 21 MB/s (not even the good HSPA+ which is 42 MB/s). And you'd think up to 21 MB/s is good enough, right? Except Tmobile's coverage sucks [in NYC]. I am constantly seeing "E" for Edge and "3G" on my device. That's unacceptable this day and age on a 2013 super smartphone.

Again, a huge knock against HTC.

So, reluctantly, I give up the extra 32GBs, the $100 Blackberry Curve trade-in, and the fact that I'll get updates directly from HTC (this one hurts the most).

And for trading all that, I'll get LTE with HSPA+ 42 MB/s to fall back on (and I guess WiFi calling). When you tally the math for the full priced Tmobile HTC One, it comes out to about $630 bucks after tax. That's significantly more than the $550 I paid for the Dev. Edition One (after $100 rebate from the trade-in).

That REALLY sucks, but ultimately, more reliable coverage and faster data service is more important to me. It's something I would use everyday.

Well if you really desire that LTE then good choice, but do you know for sure the coverage is great in NYC? If not not such a great choice. I am on the nexus 4 and gave up LTE and never looked back. Now I do I have note 2 to fall back on if I want LTE, but really I am OK without it.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 10:32 PM
Well if you really desire that LTE then good choice, but do you know for sure the coverage is great in NYC? If not not such a great choice. I am on the nexus 4 and gave up LTE and never looked back. Now I do I have note 2 to fall back on if I want LTE, but really I am OK without it.

Yeah, it's a really sucky trade off.

I'm trying to clarify if the Dev Edition will support HSPA+ 42 MB/s down the road. I'm really confused by this whole refarming and frequency network... Trying to get some answers over at XDA, too.

I've seen threads of the dev edition getting LTE on Tmobile network, and that doesn't make any sense to me (they have pics too) because I thought Tmobile's LTE is 1700 MHz which the dev editions do not have. So I'm just really confused.

Krimsonmyst
Apr 27, 2013, 10:51 PM

Australians get screwed on this as well. I had to pay $798 for my Galaxy S4, and the damn things are manufactured closer to us than most other places.

Taxes and all the other **** makes it painfully expensive.

Anyway, on topic - I decided to go with the S4 over the One, and I'm glad I did - this review confirmed a lot of the things I felt would be dealbreakers for me. Namely the camera and the positioning of said camera, as well as the home/back buttons, and sleep/wake.

MacRumorUser
Apr 28, 2013, 01:21 AM

If you need LTE and its worth $80 and 32 GB go for it.

I assume you get your curve back, what do they sell for on Craigslist ?

----------

My last two Android devices were the HTC One X and the Galaxy Nexus.

With both they were mostly smooth but still felt there was a delay between doing things such as launching apps etc.

The HTC One launches apps 'instantly' ... Its just so fast.

And even when launching 9 apps and then going into multi-tasking then back to home there is never a hint of redraw.

Haven't experienced the Note 2 or Nexus 4.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 01:39 AM

Except now I'm really confused. Folks over at XDA say the dev edition will get Tmobile LTE as are a few other websites. But I don't understand how that's possible when the dev edition doesn't have 1700 MHz. Are they getting a different form of LTE from the Tmobile version?

I'm confused by this whole mess.

fredaroony
Apr 28, 2013, 01:45 AM

----------

My last two Android devices were the HTC One X and the Galaxy Nexus.

With both they were mostly smooth but still felt there was a delay between doing things such as launching apps etc.

The HTC One launches apps 'instantly' ... Its just so fast.

And even when launching 9 apps and then going into multi-tasking then back to home there is never a hint of redraw.

Haven't experienced the Note 2 or Nexus 4.

I have Nexus 4 and HTC One X, the nexus is instant but like you said regarding the One X, there can be a slight delay sometimes opening apps.

MacRumorUser
Apr 28, 2013, 02:22 AM
Except now I'm really confused. Folks over at XDA say the dev edition will get Tmobile LTE as are a few other websites. But I don't understand how that's possible when the dev edition doesn't have 1700 MHz. Are they getting a different form of LTE from the Tmobile version?

I'm confused by this whole mess.

Does the Dev edition then actually have more LTE support but maybe locked out via firmware or are they suggesting its T-Mobile who are going to use a different band?

Yeah VERY confusing. I don't envy you.

Thank god LTE doesn't exist here :)

Edit.. Oh I see it now over on XDA. AWS being LTE for T-Mobile and that in some areas H is shown on the device for LTE.

So many standards, so confusing.

What download speeds were you getting when your phone has H displayed?

Fernandez21
Apr 28, 2013, 02:33 AM
Here is a thread at T-Mobile support boards where they ate discussing this and it's still kinda confusing, but maybe it will help you out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.t-mobile.com%2Fthread%2F40516%3Fstart%3D0%26tstart%3D0&ei=Vs98UYSqOYXw8QTg7oCQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFQrAsvEw_YjfuJ0jWesFH1OZSOzw&sig2=s7R4Bel-OUAmZCvuiQxYDA

daneoni
Apr 28, 2013, 05:22 AM
-A lot of Sense makes no sense

This pun is past its sell-by date. Otherwise interesting read. Still...you're VERY picky.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
Here is a thread at T-Mobile support boards where they ate discussing this and it's still kinda confusing, but maybe it will help you out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.t-mobile.com%2Fthread%2F40516%3Fstart%3D0%26tstart%3D0&ei=Vs98UYSqOYXw8QTg7oCQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFQrAsvEw_YjfuJ0jWesFH1OZSOzw&sig2=s7R4Bel-OUAmZCvuiQxYDA

That actually does help, but I'm still slightly confused. Does that mean AWS LTE is a different kind of LTE from Band IV 1700 LTE? And if so, is it worse/better?

I have to assume it's worse in some way because no matter what, the dev edition simply doesn't have 1700 bands.

Right? :confused:

----------

And then there's this from the folks at XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1918521&d=1367142179

I don't understand how that's possible when the dev edition doesn't have 1700 MHz.

What the heck? I mean it's great news, but I just want to be absolutely sure I'm making the right decision keeping the dev edition.

Kashsystems
Apr 28, 2013, 10:41 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/23/4254254/htc-does-what-google-wouldnt-sell-an-lte-phone-without-att-nonsense

This probably what is causing your issues. I guess ATT was pushing LTE lockin and HTC One did their phone in this setup to get around it.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
UPDATE: I've scoured the XDA forums and the final result is:

YES, THE HTC ONE DEV EDITION DOES SUPPORT TMOBILE LTE ON AWS. "AWS" is 1700/2100.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

johnjefferson
Apr 28, 2013, 10:47 AM

YES, THE HTC ONE DEV EDITION DOES SUPPORT TMOBILE LTE ON AWS. "AWS" is 1700/2100.

You are on a MAC forum.. Try an Android or HTC forum dude. It's clear no one here knows because you've asked like 5 times. I wouldn't go to an Android forum if I needed answers about my iPhone......

MacRumorUser
Apr 28, 2013, 10:52 AM

Ok a bit of research suggests YES. Its the same system that has just allowed the iPhone 5 to work on T-Mobiles LTE network. Its the same band AWS 1700/2100 and so if an iPhone 5 on AWS gets TMobiles LTE, in theory any device supporting that same band frequency will also get it. This includes the HTC One.

Basically your dev edition supports AWS LTE but not AWS HSPA+

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 10:53 AM
Ok a bit of research suggests YES. Its the same system that has just allowed the iPhone 5 to work on T-Mobiles LTE network. Its the same band AWS 1700/2100 and so if an iPhone 5 on AWS gets TMobiles LTE, in theory any device supporting that same band frequency will also get it. This includes the HTC One.

Heck ya. I'm keeping the HTC One Dev Edition.

MacRumorUser
Apr 28, 2013, 11:03 AM

It just depends on your t-mobile coverage that they are using AWS LTE if so your sorted, if they use AWS HSPA+ you will only get 3G not HSPA+ speeds.

The only difference between your model and official t-mobile version is additional support for AWS HSPA+ on tmobile specific version which of course means a more consistent level of performance if someone is moving in and out of areas of coverage.

I imagine T-Mobile would eventually be moving HSPA+ areas over to full LTE coverage at some point regardless.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
It just depends on your t-mobile coverage that they are using AWS LTE if so your sorted, if they use AWS HSPA+ you will only get 3G not HSPA+ speeds.

The only difference between your model and official t-mobile version is additional support for AWS HSPA+ on tmobile specific version which of course means a more consistent level of performance if someone is moving in and out of areas of coverage.

I imagine T-Mobile would eventually be moving HSPA+ areas over to full LTE coverage at some point regardless.

Yup. TMobile is lighting up their LTE network in a lot of new places this summer, including NYC. I should be fine without AWS HSPA+. It's still a damn shame it doesn't have this.

And it's really HTC's fault for all this goddamn confusion.

Their website should just say "1700/2100" instead of "AWS". That's what threw people off. By not seeing 1700, people just assume "no Tmobile LTE Band IV on 1700." But AWS is 1700. Argh.

Also, their own website for the unlocked 32GB version says "This will not support Tmobile 1700 MHz LTE."

That's absolutely puzzling because the 32GB also has AWS. So why the heck not? And if it is true, why isn't that same warning labeled for the 64GB dev edition when it has the same exact frequencies as the 32GB unlocked?

HTC... :T

PerfectDB
Apr 28, 2013, 02:40 PM

Hallelujah! Couch has a keeper ...for now at least :p

Seriously though, I really appreciate you posting your views on the One. I very nitpicky myself and switched to the S3/One X/Nexus 4 last year before coming back to iphone for similar reasons to yourself. I'm really tempted by the One and have followed the back-and-forth banter between you & MRU - your experience will go a long way in helping me decide whether to give one a go or not.

That said, I look forward to hearing both your views on the S4 :D

MacRumorUser
Apr 28, 2013, 02:49 PM

That said, I look forward to hearing both your views on the S4 :D

The count down has already begun..... :)

Actually whilst I'm waiting for it to arrive (and my One is gone back for replacment) I'm using a really crappy Samsung toco and as I've been using 'So' many smartphones last few years, the thing that surprised me most is battery life. I'd actually forgot there was a time when battery life was a few days rather than merely a day.....

I'll start a new thread when I get the S4, I've also ordered some accessories so I'll post my thoughts and photos on them too.

At the end of the coming month I will decide which phone is the keeper and which will be sold.

:)

Obscurelight
Apr 28, 2013, 02:56 PM
Yup. TMobile is lighting up their LTE network in a lot of new places this summer, including NYC. I should be fine without AWS HSPA+. It's still a damn shame it doesn't have this.

And it's really HTC's fault for all this goddamn confusion.

Their website should just say "1700/2100" instead of "AWS". That's what threw people off. By not seeing 1700, people just assume "no Tmobile LTE Band IV on 1700." But AWS is 1700. Argh.

Also, their own website for the unlocked 32GB version says "This will not support Tmobile 1700 MHz LTE."

That's absolutely puzzling because the 32GB also has AWS. So why the heck not? And if it is true, why isn't that same warning labeled for the 64GB dev edition when it has the same exact frequencies as the 32GB unlocked?

HTC... :T

The warning is weird but as far as the 32GB unlocked version vs. The Dev edition they are exactly the same. Both will support LTE on the T mobile AWS bands. As far as HSPA+ goes, the HTC Ones will get that signal if it is refarmed to the 1900 band if not then no dice :D

fredaroony
Apr 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
Are any of you guys having issues with build quality? i.e. gaps etc

EstaVidaLoca
Apr 28, 2013, 03:08 PM
I thought we established this weeks ago that the developer's edition would get LTE from T-mobile if it was on in your city but no HSPA.

MacRumorUser
Apr 28, 2013, 03:22 PM
Are any of you guys having issues with build quality? i.e. gaps etc

No gaps or anything like that, but did notice my camera lens was defective with a crescent mark in every photo and in camera viewfinder.

So yeah it's gone back for replacement.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 03:51 PM
I thought we established this weeks ago that the developer's edition would get LTE from T-mobile if it was on in your city but no HSPA.

Yeah. I panicked a little when someone said it wouldn't get lte and then I saw there was no 1700 band.

Didn't realize aws means 1700 (and 2100).

bembol
Apr 28, 2013, 05:15 PM
I agree about the point of hTc logo and size of the Back & Home keys, it took me a while to get used it.

The swipe to wake-up is an amazing feature, I first got a taste of it on the BlackBerry PayBook and recently on the Z10 but I'm still not a fan of OS, Faulty Media and Lack of Apps.

I wish hTc had the swipe-to-wake, their poor decision on the Power Button/IR placement is starting to be a PITA especially when there's no Home Button like on the S4.

kramjam
Apr 28, 2013, 05:36 PM
I wish hTc had the swipe-to-wake, their poor decision on the Power Button/IR placement is starting to be a PITA especially when there's no Home Button like on the S4.

How are former iPhone users getting used to unlocking the One when locked? I'm so used to just hitting the iPhone's home button and swiping to unlock very quickly. Very tempted to order the One Developer edition, just trying to simulate unlocking the phone only with that power button at the top, but I feel like I'd be really missing that home button.

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
How are former iPhone users getting used to unlocking the One when locked? I'm so used to just hitting the iPhone's home button and swiping to unlock very quickly. Very tempted to order the One Developer edition, just trying to simulate unlocking the phone only with that power button at the top, but I feel like I'd be really missing that home button.

That is my biggest complaint with the one. The power button is on the top left and too flush with the top of the phone. Top left seems like it may be better for righties though as I am left handed.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 06:02 PM
I'm really happy I get to keep my Developer's Edition. Again, a big part of keeping this phone is the value of the 64GB with the trade-in program.

Bring on AWS LTE, Tmobile.

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 06:05 PM
I'm really happy I get to keep my Developer's Edition. Again, a big part of keeping this phone is the value of the 64GB with the trade-in program.

Bring on AWS LTE, Tmobile.

A carriers trade in program?

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 06:18 PM
I played with the S4 today, and really, there's no more excuse for HTC to not relocate their power/wake button placement.

I never really had a problem inadvertently hitting the volume rockers when they were on opposite sides of the power/wake button on past devices, but nowadays, this is something that people should be even less worried about.

The S4 places the volume rocker rather high up. You'd have to try to hit the volume rockers at the same time as the power/wake button.

It's not rocket science to just off set both locations to avoid inadvertent presses. C'mon HTC.

And like I said in my OP, ironically, I'm actually inadvertently hitting the HTC One's volume rocker! So much for that argument that the power/wake button is up there to avoid these accidental volume changes.

Get with the times, HTC. Almost everyone else has figured it out.

----------

A carriers trade in program?

HTC's.

http://www.htctradeup.com/htcone/?cid=email_promo_HTCOnePreRegister_terms_HTCOne

I'm getting $100 dollars for an old BB Curve. Didn't you read my OP? :p

----------

I didn't think I'd miss lock screen widgets so much from my Nex 4 days.

Can't wait for 4.2...

tbayrgs
Apr 28, 2013, 07:22 PM
I never really had a problem inadvertently hitting the volume rockers when they were on opposite sides of the power/wake button on past devices, but nowadays, this is something that people should be even less worried about.

The S4 places the volume rocker rather high up. You'd have to try to hit the volume rockers at the same time as the power/wake button.

It's not rocket science to just off set both locations to avoid inadvertent presses. C'mon HTC.

And like I said in my OP, ironically, I'm actually inadvertently hitting the HTC One's volume rocker! So much for that argument that the power/wake button is up there to avoid these accidental volume changes.

Get with the times, HTC. Almost everyone else has figured it out.

My problem wasn't accidentally hitting the volume rockers (though it did happen occasionally using my Note 2 as they are directly across from the power button) but rather alway accidentally turning off the device with my thumb--exact same problem your having with the volume buttons on the One. Wouldn't you be having the same problem if the power button was where the volume rocker is on the One?

I didn't think I'd miss lock screen widgets so much from my Nex 4 days.

Can't wait for 4.2...

Try Widget Locker--allows for lockscreen widgets and custom unlock sliders, including moving their position on the screen. I know you mentioned not liking having to shuffle the device in your hand to be able to quickly wake and unlock the One. Using Widget Locker, I installed the Jelly Bean stock slider in the middle of my home screen. I did it to allow for quick launch of various applications around the slider ring but it also makes it easier to reach with your thumb to unlock.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 07:40 PM
My problem wasn't accidentally hitting the volume rockers (though it did happen occasionally using my Note 2 as they are directly across from the power button) but rather alway accidentally turning off the device with my thumb--exact same problem your having with the volume buttons on the One. Wouldn't you be having the same problem if the power button was where the volume rocker is on the One?

No, because I wouldn't ever have to reach up to the top. There'd be no buttons there.

I'm only hitting the volume rockers on the One when I'm shuffling up and reaching for the top power/wake button.

----------

Try Widget Locker--allows for lockscreen widgets and custom unlock sliders, including moving their position on the screen. I know you mentioned not liking having to shuffle the device in your hand to be able to quickly wake and unlock the One. Using Widget Locker, I installed the Jelly Bean stock slider in the middle of my home screen. I did it to allow for quick launch of various applications around the slider ring but it also makes it easier to reach with your thumb to unlock.

Oh sweet. I will try that!

But I also want lock screen widgets so I can put Power Toggles on the lock screen because I use that widget to sleep the device. I love Power Toggles and have always used this feature on my Android devices.

Tapping to sleep is easier than reaching up and if I can eliminate the frequency of having to reach up that power/wake button, that's a plus. :)

Here's what it looks like. I changed the wallpaper so you can easily see it:

http://i.imgur.com/Hhzbc5X.jpg

But in my real wallpaper, it's super discrete:

http://i.imgur.com/2FTqaOy.png

If I could put one of those suckers on my lock screen, that'd be nice.

tbayrgs
Apr 28, 2013, 08:00 PM
No, because I wouldn't ever have to reach up to the top. There'd be no buttons there.

I'm only hitting the volume rockers on the One when I'm shuffling up and reaching for the top power/wake button.

I certainly can understand how many don't like the reach for the power/wake button on top--personally I like it up there and I'll illustrate why. The first photo is how I would typically hold my Note 2 when using it. The second photo shows exactly where my thumb when holding it in this fashion. And because the Note 2's power/wake button is fairly pronounced, I'd accidentally turn off my phone a lot.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 09:10 PM
There are definitely times when the Home and Back buttons become completely unresponsive.

The entire OS is responsive so I can touch areas of the screen, but the home buttons straight up aren't responding. This isn't "missing" the buttons as it can last for seconds on end.

It seems like a software issue/glitch more than a defective unit because it seems to happen specifically when an app is doing some transitional affect (like when first selecting an app in the Play Store, for example, and it transitions to the app's info).

Am I the only one experiencing this?

tbayrgs
Apr 28, 2013, 09:51 PM
There are definitely times when the Home and Back buttons become completely unresponsive.

The entire OS is responsive so I can touch areas of the screen, but the home buttons straight up aren't responding. This isn't "missing" the buttons as it can last for seconds on end.

It seems like a software issue/glitch more than a defective unit because it seems to happen specifically when an app is doing some transitional affect (like when first selecting an app in the Play Store, for example, and it transitions to the app's info).

Sorry, no issues here, other than my occasional bad aim when trying to hit them. The capacitive buttons on my Note 2 are certainly more forgiving, my guess being they have a larger responsive area. That being said, I haven't had any issues with the buttons responding, again assuming I'm actually hitting the targer. :D

johnjefferson
Apr 28, 2013, 09:55 PM

I thought this phone was a dream and you were so glad to be rid of ios and the iPhone? You sure complain about it a lot. I've never had an iPhone do this, but I've had Androids do it. You wanted Android back, so there ya go.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
Holy crud, it's an issue for sure:

7v5Oc5-7rbA

I'm still trying to dig whether this is an actual defect or if it's a software issue. My guess is software.

In the comments section, you can see some people chiming in, too, with running into the same problem with their own One's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v5Oc5-7rbA

Goddamn, HTC.

----------

Yup, software issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2245637

----------

I thought this phone was a dream and you were so glad to be rid of ios and the iPhone? You sure complain about it a lot. I've never had an iPhone do this, but I've had Androids do it. You wanted Android back, so there ya go.

This is not an insult: You need to learn how to read and comprehend. Let's break down what you have here:

I thought this phone was a dream.

Read the OP.

you were so glad to be rid of ios and the iPhone?

I'm not "so glad." I'm very super duper glad.

I've never had an iPhone do this.

An iPhone doesn't have capacitive buttons. So yeah, I've never had an iPhone do this either. Thanks for sharing.

You wanted Android back, so there ya go.

There I go, indeed. Troll much?

johnjefferson
Apr 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
You're touching it wrong :). Seriously though, do you have a screen protector on it?

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
The good news is HTC seems to be aware of the problem and a software update that does increase the sensitivity of the capacitive buttons is coming.

HOWEVER, I'm not convinced that'll necessarily fix the issue I'm experiencing and seeing on YouTube. It's not an issue of sensitivity. It's an issue of the buttons flat out not responding. I mean, how many times do these guys in the video have to press the button to get it to register? Try counting. It's ridiculous.

I hope the software update fixes more than just sensitivity. I think it's something worse than just sensitivity. Seems during certain times, it just stops recognizing touch.

7v5Oc5-7rbA

qrXuEtR4sks

Kashsystems
Apr 28, 2013, 10:24 PM
The good news is HTC seems to be aware of the problem and a software update that does increase the sensitivity of the capacitive buttons is coming.

HOWEVER, I'm not convinced that'll necessarily fix the issue I'm experiencing and seeing on YouTube. It's not an issue of sensitivity. It's an issue of the buttons flat out not responding. I mean, how many times do these guys in the video have to press the button to get it to register? Try counting. It's ridiculous.

I hope the software update fixes more than just sensitivity. I think it's something worse than just sensitivity. Seems during certain times, it just stops recognizing touch.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7v5Oc5-7rbA)

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qrXuEtR4sks)

I hope this is fixed in about 4 weeks, my wife is really eyeing this phone.

Fernandez21
Apr 28, 2013, 10:39 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7v5Oc5-7rbA)

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qrXuEtR4sks)

I never had that happen to me on the capacitive buttons, but it has happened to me on chrome, sometimes when I load chrome and its busy trying to load the old page from memory, I'll hit the refresh button so it loads new content instead but the refresh button won't register for a couple of seconds.

Edit: Just read this somewhere else. Go into settings and then gestures and disable the 3 finger HTC gesture and see if that helps. I just did it so I can't confirm if that fixes it or not.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 11:35 PM
Edit: Just read this somewhere else. Go into settings and then gestures and disable the 3 finger HTC gesture and see if that helps. I just did it so I can't confirm if that fixes it or not.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll give that a shot too and update.

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2013, 12:26 AM
I told you it was a software bug and that the recent update rolled out here included fixes. ;)

Like all software bugs there will be users who don't experience it, and those that it affects more pronounced.

At least the fix is already rolling out for those that do have it.

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 07:55 AM
I told you it was a software bug and that the recent update rolled out here included fixes. ;)

Like all software bugs there will be users who don't experience it, and those that it affects more pronounced.

At least the fix is already rolling out for those that do have it.

My concern is that it's more than just a sensitivity issue. Either way can't wait for fix.

I'll report back about turning off the 3 finger gesture feature to see if that fixes the issue.

jrswizzle
Apr 29, 2013, 10:42 AM
My concern is that it's more than just a sensitivity issue. Either way can't wait for fix.

I'll report back about turning off the 3 finger gesture feature to see if that fixes the issue.

FYI - got my One from AT&T on Friday and haven't experienced a single problem with the capacitive buttons. I even tapped rapidly in intervals of two taps just to test because of your issues and it responded every time.

Wonder if yours is defective or if I have a newer software version with a fix in it?

dojoman
Apr 29, 2013, 11:39 AM

I just had this problem yesterday. Originally I thought it was my screen protector and it was fine but it came back again. I couldn't press either buttons for a few minutes until I had rebooted the phone.

bmac4
Apr 29, 2013, 11:57 AM
FYI - got my One from AT&T on Friday and haven't experienced a single problem with the capacitive buttons. I even tapped rapidly in intervals of two taps just to test because of your issues and it responded every time.

Wonder if yours is defective or if I have a newer software version with a fix in it?

Oh you got the One. Are you not using the nexus 4 any more? How do you like having a skinned android phone?

jrswizzle
Apr 29, 2013, 12:08 PM
Oh you got the One. Are you not using the nexus 4 any more? How do you like having a skinned android phone?

The One is my primary phone, but I kept my N4 - selling my old 4S to help offset the cost of the One.

So far its fantastic. The One is a beautifully designed phone and I really like Sense (both aesthetically and the features like Zoe and Blinkfeed). The display is gorgeous, though I'm only noticing minimal difference between it and the iPhone 5 (both being top-of-the-line IPS LCDs with the One having a higher PPI), but the size of display adds to its awesomeness.

And those Boomsound speakers.....wow.

All-in-all, this might be the best phone I've ever used - the whole package (outer design, elegant UI, beautiful screen, blazing fast). I still love my iPhone 5 - but the negatives I'd heard about like the camera and battery life have been non-issues for me. The battery life is adequate - plenty for my uses - and the camera has been surprisingly good.

On my 5-point scale, the HTC One gets a 4 (with the only knock being against customer service - if I have a problem with my One, I'd likely have to go through HTC......nothing will beat having an Apple store within 10 miles of my house).

bmac4
Apr 29, 2013, 02:09 PM
The One is my primary phone, but I kept my N4 - selling my old 4S to help offset the cost of the One.

So far its fantastic. The One is a beautifully designed phone and I really like Sense (both aesthetically and the features like Zoe and Blinkfeed). The display is gorgeous, though I'm only noticing minimal difference between it and the iPhone 5 (both being top-of-the-line IPS LCDs with the One having a higher PPI), but the size of display adds to its awesomeness.

And those Boomsound speakers.....wow.

All-in-all, this might be the best phone I've ever used - the whole package (outer design, elegant UI, beautiful screen, blazing fast). I still love my iPhone 5 - but the negatives I'd heard about like the camera and battery life have been non-issues for me. The battery life is adequate - plenty for my uses - and the camera has been surprisingly good.

On my 5-point scale, the HTC One gets a 4 (with the only knock being against customer service - if I have a problem with my One, I'd likely have to go through HTC......nothing will beat having an Apple store within 10 miles of my house).

Wow that is some high praise. So which line did you trade the One for the iPhone 5 or N4? Did you get the carrier model of the phone? It is good to hear that you like the phone, and nothing major you don't like. I keep hearing it is the best android phone you can buy right now.

I understand your concerns about customer service. Nothing compares to being able to walk into an Apple store and just getting a new device if yours does not work properly. I have had issues with Apple before, but at least I could just go right back to the Apple store. Until Google makes their own stores or hardware (which I don't see either happening) their customer service will never be as good.

mattopotamus
Apr 29, 2013, 02:26 PM
I hope this is fixed in about 4 weeks, my wife is really eyeing this phone.

I have not had a single problem with it not responding. It is small, so if I miss it then it does not work :)

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 02:37 PM
I just want to clarify that the "freezing" of the capacitive buttons is uncommon, maybe even rare. So those that aren't experiencing it, I hope it stays that way.

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 02:55 PM
A few more things I'm enjoying about this phone:

-The Phone app rocks. The location of every button is really well placed. And the use of screen real estate is really nice. I like that the dial-pad doesn't go too far up so you don't have to reach slightly for the 1, 2, 3 buttons. It's also nice that the top half previews the previous phone call for you. While you're in a call, the screen is really nice too. Just really well designed and thought out.

-This sounds trivial, but the Clock app is really nice too. I love that you can change the tabs so that Alarms show first if you want (because not everyone needs World Clock to be the first thing you see). And the alarms are very easy to set. I love that it snaps to every 10 minutes; set an alarm and scroll through the minutes, you'll see what I mean. It makes it a little easier/faster.

Kudos to HTC for these few areas of Sense.

jrswizzle
Apr 29, 2013, 03:03 PM
Wow that is some high praise. So which line did you trade the One for the iPhone 5 or N4? Did you get the carrier model of the phone? It is good to hear that you like the phone, and nothing major you don't like. I keep hearing it is the best android phone you can buy right now.

I understand your concerns about customer service. Nothing compares to being able to walk into an Apple store and just getting a new device if yours does not work properly. I have had issues with Apple before, but at least I could just go right back to the Apple store. Until Google makes their own stores or hardware (which I don't see either happening) their customer service will never be as good.

The iPhone 5 is a work phone (it belongs to me, but my company requires an iPhone) so I replaced the Nexus 4.

And yes, I got the AT&T version - a small amount of bloatware and the AT&T symbol on the back is actually engraved in the aluminum and looks quite nice and inconspicuous.

All-in-all I do believe the HTC One is Android's strongest offering to date - including the GS4, though I admit, I haven't used one extensively.

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 03:11 PM
The iPhone 5 is a work phone (it belongs to me, but my company requires an iPhone) so I replaced the Nexus 4.

I think the One is easily a better phone that the Nexus. It's only disadvantage is its price.

But I'm happy to pay a little extra for 64GB storage and LTE.

Seeing what HTC has done here by including LTE on the unlocked One (both the 32GB and 64GB dev edition) brings me hope that Google can pull off the same thing for the 2013 Nexus. There should be no more excuses for not putting LTE on the next Nexus. I don't think people will give that a pass anymore.

jrswizzle
Apr 29, 2013, 03:16 PM
I think the One is easily a better phone that the Nexus. It's only disadvantage is its price.

But I'm happy to pay a little extra for 64GB storage and LTE.

Seeing what HTC has done here by including LTE on the unlocked One (both the 32GB and 64GB dev edition) brings me hope that Google can pull off the same thing for the 2013 Nexus. There should be no more excuses for not putting LTE on the next Nexus. I don't think people will give that a pass anymore.

Oh I agree - LTE was something I missed on my Nexus 4 - especially since I had it on my iP5. I'm keeping the Nexus 4 as a backup phone (especially since its unlocked, I plan on using it in Italy on a cheap prepaid SIM) and to test out Google's Android updates.

But the HTC One is an absolute pleasure. I paid $450 (used my early upgrade) to grab the 32GB (more than enough for me) and I'll be selling my old iPhone 4S + a lifeproof case and otterbox commuter for roughly $350.

Well worth the $100!

bmac4
Apr 29, 2013, 03:32 PM
Oh I agree - LTE was something I missed on my Nexus 4 - especially since I had it on my iP5. I'm keeping the Nexus 4 as a backup phone (especially since its unlocked, I plan on using it in Italy on a cheap prepaid SIM) and to test out Google's Android updates.

But the HTC One is an absolute pleasure. I paid $450 (used my early upgrade) to grab the 32GB (more than enough for me) and I'll be selling my old iPhone 4S + a lifeproof case and otterbox commuter for roughly $350.

Well worth the $100!

That is awesome to here. I still love stock android, so I don't think I will be getting the One. But if HTC keeps this up I might have to check out next years flagship phone from them.

Oh be careful in Italy we don't need another American unlawfully put in jail there.

Markyboy81
Apr 29, 2013, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=onthecouchagainThe 4 megapixels really do matter[/QUOTE]

I don't really understand this statement. Surely 4 megapixels is more than ample for viewing on a 1080p screen, which can only display 2 million pixels anyway? There's no indication that you viewed the pictures anywhere else than on the phone itself, so you wouldn't have been able to distinguish a 4 megapixels picture from a 40 megapixel picture, based on megapixels alone (unless you're zooming in more than 2x and pixel peeping)
So the issue with the pictures must be for other reasons I would've thought.

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2013, 04:59 PM

-The Phone app rocks. The location of every button is really well placed. And the use of screen real estate is really nice. I like that the dial-pad doesn't go too far up so you don't have to reach slightly for the 1, 2, 3 buttons. It's also nice that the top half previews the previous phone call for you. While you're in a call, the screen is really nice too. Just really well designed and thought out.

-This sounds trivial, but the Clock app is really nice too. I love that you can change the tabs so that Alarms show first if you want (because not everyone needs World Clock to be the first thing you see). And the alarms are very easy to set. I love that it snaps to every 10 minutes; set an alarm and scroll through the minutes, you'll see what I mean. It makes it a little easier/faster.

Yep it's the 'simple' ui refinements that make a big difference. Even swiping to the right and getting your favourites in dialler is really easy.

The S4's dialler is overly big and cartoony / childlike IMO.

Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
Yep it's the 'simple' ui refinements that make a big difference. Even swiping to the right and getting your favourites in dialler is really easy.

The S4's dialler is overly big and cartoony / childlike IMO.

The dialer on the US version is completely white and looks horrible, IMO. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Sense, the Sense interface at this time looks more mature and professional.

If you haven't seen the difference between the US and International dialer, look at this video, starting at 8:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TnHg8QP3Wfs#t=481s

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
The dialer on the US version is completely white and looks horrible, IMO. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Sense, the Sense interface at this time looks more mature and professional.

If you haven't seen the difference between the US and International dialer, look at this video, starting at 8:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TnHg8QP3Wfs#t=481s

They're all ugly. Its just a sliding scale ;)

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 07:34 PM
HOW TO GET A NEARLY FULL GESTURE BASE HTC ONE, No Root, No Tricks, No cost. Just Android customization and apps, baby:

Using Swipe Pad (which now works tons better on the One), I've set up my portals like this. To activate, I gesture up from the HTC logo (very BBZ10 like. Yes!). This can be done from anywhere and any app.

Then the "Home" portal obviously brings you back to the home screen. Then the two portals around it are to put the device to sleep (via an app that's called Screen Off and Lock) so I don't always have to reach up to the power/wake button.

Then the above level of portals are my most frequented apps. I didn't set anything higher but that may yet come. You can add almost anything you want! (Home portal is already a default choice in SwipePad, FYI).

Anyway, links to the apps I use below.

A full gesture base HTC One. The only time I have to really reach up to press the power/wake button is to wake the device. I can tolerate that. :)

http://i.imgur.com/WYPiBCL.png

SwipePad: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.conduction.swipepad.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm1vYmkuY29uZHVjdGlvbi5zd2lwZXBhZC5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

Screen Off & Lock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock

----------

I should add there is one obstacle to Swipe Pad. Guess what it is?

Yes, the dreaded on-screen menu bar.

Now more than ever, HTC needs to get rid of that sucker. It plagues the device so.

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 08:05 PM
Anyone know of an app that is just a short cut to the app switcher? Would love to load an app onto one of the portals to allow app switcher instead of double tapping the home capacitive button.

It would give me the perfect trifecta on the bottom row of portals: Sleep, Home, App Switcher.

Anyone?

EDIT: Good ol' Nova Launcher comes to the rescue. If you make one of your portals a short cut to Nova Launcher actions, one of the options is "Recent Apps".

Trifecta! No need to double tap that silly home capacitive button. :D

http://i.imgur.com/kaLmwa9.png

onthecouchagain
Apr 29, 2013, 11:19 PM
Does anyone else notice that they don't get data connection when they're on a call with the One?

Or is it just me (or is it just Tmobile)?

MacRumorUser
Apr 30, 2013, 12:08 AM
Does anyone else notice that they don't get data connection when they're on a call with the One?

Never noticed bud.

Fernandez21
Apr 30, 2013, 01:39 AM

Since you mentioned earlier that your on edge a lot, if your on edge you dont get simultaneous phone and data. You should get it if your on wifi, 3g, and lte. Can't speak about t-mobile though, I'm on AT&T.

mattopotamus
Apr 30, 2013, 06:14 AM

I like everything about the sense UI for the most part except that I cannot change the size of the icons. I really like small icons and they seems massive with sense.

MacRumorUser
Apr 30, 2013, 06:26 AM
I like everything about the sense UI for the most part except that I cannot change the size of the icons. I really like small icons and they seems massive with sense.

Actually do you know what.... on the GS4 they are even bigger. I've been trying to reduce them all yesterday but can only do so in another launcher. :o

In another launcher on the S4 there is a font size discrepancy. The fonts on the front are very small, so you have to change font size in displays. Only problem is whilst turning it to large or largest it makes the font on the home screen easier to see, on Apps it make the font 'ridiculously huge'... so I can't get a balance between the two currently.

mattopotamus
Apr 30, 2013, 06:29 AM
Actually do you know what.... on the GS4 they are even bigger. I've been trying to reduce them all yesterday but can only do so in another launcher. :o

That is why I am deciding to keep the nexus. I always feel like I need a launcher to get the customization that I want. Once I put a launcher on the phones they look and feel nearly identical, plus I will still get updates. I am hoping that either 4.3, KLP, or whatever comes out next really incorporates a lot of the option you get with a launcher: changing icon size, changing the actual icon, hide apps in the app drawer, gestures, etc.

I do not take a lot of pictures, so a passable camera is all I really need. This may sound weird, but the more I have used the n4 the more the speakers seem to have "broken in." I may be crazy, but I really feel like it is louder than when I first got the phone. Also, I thought the wireless charger was just a convenience, but once I switched phones and lost it and then went back the the nexus, I appreciated it that much more.

sofakng
Apr 30, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hey guys... I'm a long-time iPhone user who purchased an HTC One. (I've owned every single iPhone since the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 5)

To be honest, I'm a bit torn between the HTC One and my iPhone 5.

I feel that the 4.7" screen is a tiny bit too big because it's difficult to use one-handed so I would have rathered 4.5" I think or maybe even 4.3". I've also had strange problems with Bluetooth, etc.

I was also extremely annoyed the three dot menu bar, but I flashed a custom kernel and it completely solved that problem. You can also turn the HTC Logo into a menu button and it works good... (it actually senses the black area around the logo so sometimes it's picky, but it's only for the menu button)

Furthermore, the kernels feature swipe-to-unlock or swipe-to-lock gestures so you don't even have to use the power button if you don't want to.

Anyways, I really wish the iPhone was a bit larger and allowed applications to be installed from other places besides the app-store, but since that isn't a possibility I'm torn between the HTC One and my iPhone 5.

As a final thought, I did have a lot of problems with my iPhone 5. I would say it was the first phone that gave me lots of problems and as I mentioned, I had every phone.

For example, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I was using the data connection and received a phone call, it would go straight to voicemail. I'm on AT&T and this shouldn't happen. So far with my HTC One I've successfully received every phone call even while using data.

Anyways, we'll see what I decide. I still have a couple more days...

Right now I'm leaning towards buying an iPad Mini and using my iPhone 5. A huge part of that decisions is the games though...

onthecouchagain
May 2, 2013, 10:34 AM
I gots to tell ya, this is shaping up to be my favorite device I've owned of recent past. The last time I felt this good about a device was when I had my beloved Galaxy Nexus.

HTC just needs to send out that update patch to aid the camera, rid us of that godforsaken on-screen menu button, and fix the capacitive keys. Those three changes would go a long way in making the experience even better. 4.2 with lockscreen widgets and single-finger notification expansion wouldn't hurt either.

So, c'mon HTC. You got me on board; now make me a believer!

PS. As if I haven't made clear before, I'm running Nova Launcher. The experience would not be as pleasant on Sense.

Dmaynard83
May 7, 2013, 11:22 AM
Few reasons I'm getting the s4 over the one :

Galaxy S4 Pro Points over the HTC One
- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera)
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview)
- Bigger Battery
- SwiftKey used for Stock Keyboard

HTC One Pro Points over Galaxy S4
- Design
- Better front facing camera
- Better stock UI

OVERALL WINNER: Samsung Galaxy S4

MacRumorUser
May 7, 2013, 11:41 AM

- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Bigger Battery

- Design
- Better stock UI

Having actually had BOTH devices...

The Faster processor nullifies the bigger battery. In my day to day life the s4 was worse on battery. Given the same daily load the s4 used far more battery than the HTC one.

Swiftkey used for keyboard on S4 doesn't make any tangible difference because the s4 keyboard is pretty awful. There is far too much spacing between letters and the predictive engine isn't as good as swiftkey itself. The HTC one keyboard is excellent and features Swype keyboard Los and its spacing is excellent. Its quite possibly the best keyboard on any android device.

MicroSD slot only matters if your carrying a lot of music or video because applications can not be stored on it. If you pick up the 16gb S4 you will get only 8.5gb for application, regardless of microSD.

Multi-phone speaker (group play) realistically going to be used? How many S4 owners do you bump into and go - "hey lets all play this song!" I think vast majority of folks would rather have decent stereo speakers on their own device. Dual, quadruple or 5 tinny sounding loudspeakers all clattering out the same high frequency sound is utterly moribund without proper mid or bass levels.

LIVEFRMNYC
May 7, 2013, 11:43 AM

- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Bigger Battery

- Design
- Better stock UI

The HTC one does have a LED notifier. It's discreetly place in the speaker grill on the left side.

sentinelsx
May 7, 2013, 11:55 AM

- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Bigger Battery

- Design
- Better stock UI

Heh, i knew i should have bought an 18 wheeler instead of the puny car i drive :(

Dmaynard83
May 7, 2013, 12:00 PM
Having actually had BOTH devices...

The Faster processor nullifies the bigger battery. In my day to day life the s4 was worse on battery. Given the same daily load the s4 used far more battery than the HTC one.

Swiftkey used for keyboard on S4 doesn't make any tangible difference because the s4 keyboard is pretty awful. There is far too much spacing between letters and the predictive engine isn't as good as swiftkey itself. The HTC one keyboard is excellent and features Swype keyboard Los and its spacing is excellent. Its quite possibly the best keyboard on any android device.

MicroSD slot only matters if your carrying a lot of music or video because applications can not be stored on it. If you pick up the 16gb S4 you will get only 8.5gb for application, regardless of microSD.

Multi-phone speaker (group play) realistically going to be used? How many S4 owners do you bump into and g o- hey lets all play this song! I think vast majority of oljs would rather have decent stereo speakers on their own device. Dual, quadruple or 5 tinny sounding loudspeakers all clattering out the same high frequency sound is utterly moribund without proper mid or bass levels.

I think after playing around with my friends one I prefer the swiftkey from the app store.

Having the option for more storage with the sd card is just a plus. Nice to put movies videos or music on.

Also the ability to swap out a battery when your low is awesome having one battery always charging so you don't have to plug your phone when it's low.

sentinelsx
May 7, 2013, 12:02 PM
Also the ability to swap out a battery when your low is awesome having one battery always charging so you don't have to plug your phone when it's low.

Kind of kills the "mobility" point once you start micromanaging the "always charging" aspect.

mattopotamus
May 7, 2013, 12:06 PM
The HTC one does have a LED notifier. It's discreetly place in the speaker grill on the left side.

qft. I actually really like the notification light and location on the ONE.

Dmaynard83
May 7, 2013, 12:09 PM
Kind of kills the "mobility" point once you start micromanaging the "always charging" aspect.

Seems more mobile to me the ability to carry an extra battery

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 08:37 AM
i was confused between htc one and the samsung galaxy s4. this thread helped me make my decision, the samsung galaxy s4. i really want that 13mp camera and touchwiz.

The S4 would be a much better phone 'without' Touchwiz....

cuzo
May 8, 2013, 10:03 AM
So is onthecouch happy with it so far?

Fernandez21
May 8, 2013, 10:31 AM
Don't think so.. that's like saying iPhone would be a great phone without iTunes...phones are rated as per the features and tools built-in, they cant be changed according to what people think.

I think phones are rated on how they perform, not on how many features they have. I would rather a phone that performs 5 features flawlessly than a phone with a 100 features that are hit or miss.

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 03:30 PM
So is onthecouch happy with it so far?

Yep, other than a few gripes that can be corrected via software updates :)

Razeus
May 8, 2013, 04:04 PM
I gots to tell ya, this is shaping up to be my favorite device I've owned of recent past. The last time I felt this good about a device was when I had my beloved Galaxy Nexus.

HTC just needs to send out that update patch to aid the camera, rid us of that godforsaken on-screen menu button, and fix the capacitive keys. Those three changes would go a long way in making the experience even better. 4.2 with lockscreen widgets and single-finger notification expansion wouldn't hurt either.

So, c'mon HTC. You got me on board; now make me a believer!

PS. As if I haven't made clear before, I'm running Nova Launcher. The experience would not be as pleasant on Sense.

Is HTC even going to give it 4.2.2? Why did they ship with 4.1.2?

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 04:13 PM
Is HTC even going to give it 4.2.2? Why did they ship with 4.1.2?

Of course they are :rolleyes:

They shipped with 4.1.2 but its a heavily modified and optimised 4.1.2. Its not the same as a stock google rom remember. HTC's 4.2.2 will have the base enhancements from google but a lot more enhancements by HTC, so it takes time. Added to the act they are bringing it to older devices too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E99w8MHOavg

It will get 4.2.2 (the pre-release test rom is already leaked) and they are also bringing 4.2.2 and Sense 5 to the HTC One X, One X+, Butterfly J, Droid DNA...

It will get KLP a few months after KLP's release, around Q4 2013...

zbarvian
May 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
Of course they are :rolleyes:

They shipped with 4.1.2 but its a heavily modified and optimised 4.1.2. Its not the same as a stock google rom remember. HTC's 4.2.2 will have the base enhancements from google but a lot more enhancements by HTC, so it takes time. Added to the act they are bringing it to older devices too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E99w8MHOavg

It will get 4.2.2 (the pre-release test rom is already leaked) and they are also bringing 4.2.2 and Sense 5 to the HTC One X, One X+, Butterfly J, Droid DNA...

It will get KLP a few months after KLP's release, around Q4 2013...

That's assuming KLP will be released by Q3 2013. From what I've read, it seems 4.3 JellyBean is more likely (sigh)...

jimbo1mcm
May 13, 2013, 02:54 AM

Had the HTC One for 18 hours. The home/wake button on top was an unbelievable PITA. I couldn't get past that. If I could have, then I would have installed a Nova launcher or Apex.

kramjam
May 13, 2013, 03:06 AM
Had the HTC One for 18 hours. The home/wake button on top was an unbelievable PITA. I couldn't get past that. If I could have, then I would have installed a Nova launcher or Apex.

Back to the iPhone then? Or Galaxy S4

jimbo1mcm
May 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
Back to the iPhone then? Or Galaxy S4

Had my Iphone 5 warming up in the bullpen and just pulled it out again. Waiting for Google event and a new Nexus announcement, but will probably be disappointed. Nothing will happen until late fall with a pure Nexus I think.

Fireblade
May 13, 2013, 04:27 AM
The S4 would be a much better phone 'without' Touchwiz....

Not for everyone, I kinda like Touchwiz for some reason.
So please do not speak for everyone.

MacRumorUser
May 13, 2013, 04:32 AM
Not for everyone, I kinda like Touchwiz for some reason.
So please do not speak for everyone.

I have never spoken for everyone and if you had read my posts prior you would have known that.

Fireblade
May 13, 2013, 04:35 AM
I have never spoken for everyone and if you had read my posts prior you would have known that.

You said that the S4 without Touchwiz would be a better phone, which simply isn't true.

MacRumorUser
May 13, 2013, 04:43 AM
You said that the S4 without Touchwiz would be a better phone, which simply isn't true.

Now who is making a definitive statement. Please don't make definitive statements because you don't speak for everyone either !!!! :rolleyes:

Fireblade
May 13, 2013, 04:51 AM
MRU, I really appreciate you, so this is my last comment in this case ;).

As you see, we both have different opinions in case of Touchwiz, so we both should say:
IMO the S4 would be a better/worse smartphone with/without Touchwiz :p.
Peace

MacRumorUser
May 13, 2013, 05:02 AM
MRU, I really appreciate you, so this is my last comment in this case ;).

As you see, we both have different opinions in case of Touchwiz, so we both should say:
IMO the S4 would be a better/worse smartphone with/without Touchwiz :p.
Peace

deal ;)

peace is restored :)

walie
May 16, 2013, 10:12 AM
Do you notice that there is sometimes a delay after swiping to a pad and the app actually opening with swipepad. It pops up a toast notification saying "starting app" and it takes a couple of seconds before the app actually starts.

HOW TO GET A NEARLY FULL GESTURE BASE HTC ONE, No Root, No Tricks, No cost. Just Android customization and apps, baby:

Using Swipe Pad (which now works tons better on the One), I've set up my portals like this. To activate, I gesture up from the HTC logo (very BBZ10 like. Yes!). This can be done from anywhere and any app.

Then the "Home" portal obviously brings you back to the home screen. Then the two portals around it are to put the device to sleep (via an app that's called Screen Off and Lock) so I don't always have to reach up to the power/wake button.

Then the above level of portals are my most frequented apps. I didn't set anything higher but that may yet come. You can add almost anything you want! (Home portal is already a default choice in SwipePad, FYI).

Anyway, links to the apps I use below.

A full gesture base HTC One. The only time I have to really reach up to press the power/wake button is to wake the device. I can tolerate that. :)

http://i.imgur.com/WYPiBCL.png

SwipePad: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.conduction.swipepad.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm1vYmkuY29uZHVjdGlvbi5zd2lwZXBhZC5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

Screen Off & Lock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock

----------

I should add there is one obstacle to Swipe Pad. Guess what it is?

Yes, the dreaded on-screen menu bar.

Now more than ever, HTC needs to get rid of that sucker. It plagues the device so.

onthecouchagain
May 16, 2013, 01:26 PM
Do you notice that there is sometimes a delay after swiping to a pad and the app actually opening with swipepad. It pops up a toast notification saying "starting app" and it takes a couple of seconds before the app actually starts.

I've uninstalled Swipepad. It's too slow. I've probably experienced something similar to what you're describing. I've just gotten used to the damn Home button being on the right and hope that HTC pushes out the software update to fix the capacitive buttons sooner than later.

Peterg2
May 16, 2013, 02:58 PM
I've uninstalled Swipepad. It's too slow. I've probably experienced something similar to what you're describing. I've just gotten used to the damn Home button being on the right and hope that HTC pushes out the software update to fix the capacitive buttons sooner than later.

I don't believe that you are with Sprint (T-Mobile?), but users there received an update today fixing, inter alia, the capacitive button issue. So it really depends on your carrier.

onthecouchagain
May 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
I don't believe that you are with Sprint (T-Mobile?), but users there received an update today fixing, inter alia, the capacitive button issue. So it really depends on your carrier.

Developer edition straight from HTC. Why aren't we getting it first? :confused:

walie
May 16, 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm trying to like this phone, it seems the internet is leaning towards the HTC One, but I don't think its the phone for me. Just can't get used to the power button placement and there are a bunch of quirks on the phone that I just don't get.

I guess i'll try the S4 out :(

onthecouchagain
May 17, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm beginning to see lte more and more on my phone around parts of nyc (not just in the subways). I'm beginning to think tmobile is really rolling out lte in nyc. Woohoo.

MacRumorUser
May 17, 2013, 08:50 AM
I'm beginning to see lte more and more on my phone around parts of nyc (not just in the subways). I'm beginning to think tmobile is really rolling out lte in nyc. Woohoo.

I dream of the day the LTE icon is displayed on mine :)

El3ctronics
May 17, 2013, 09:16 AM

T-Mobile or AT&T?

MacRumorUser
May 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
T-Mobile or AT&T?

Neither. I'm in Ireland. We don't have LTE yet on any carrier.

jimbo1mcm
May 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
Has the capacitive button software fix been rolled out on:

1. T Mobile
2. ATT
3. Developer Edition

My biggest gripe would be the waking up the device by pressing the difficult to reach power button. Is there a way around this by using an app?

rockitdog
May 17, 2013, 02:32 PM

The LTE just popped up on my HTC One for the first time today!!! I'm T-Mobile and in the Minneapolis area. It's just rolling out today! So happy to see it!

LSUtigers03
May 17, 2013, 02:46 PM

I remember how excited I was when I first saw LTE on my One X last May. I used 600mb in data in about 5 minutes running speed tests.

sentinelsx
May 17, 2013, 03:13 PM
Has the capacitive button software fix been rolled out on:

1. T Mobile
2. ATT
3. Developer Edition

My biggest gripe would be the waking up the device by pressing the difficult to reach power button. Is there a way around this by using an app?

I would like to know this too. Is this fixed?

Or does flashing something like android revolution fix the capacitive buttons?

Peterg2
May 20, 2013, 09:19 AM
Developer edition straight from HTC. Why aren't we getting it first? :confused:

Do you see the 1.29.1540.16 update on your phone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2287499

onthecouchagain
May 20, 2013, 09:25 AM

I'm traveling and will have to check when get back home. Can't wait.

jrswizzle
May 20, 2013, 09:29 AM
I'm traveling and will have to check when get back home. Can't wait.

I'm still on 1.26.510.16......stupid AT&T.

At any rate, if the dev edition is getting an update, that means the rest of us are too far behind.

Twixt
May 20, 2013, 09:37 AM
Two things to start off with. HTC One is a Korean Company so it is Korea to the EU.

Edit
Edit
Calculation results
Edit

Now German carrier O2 is offering the 32 gigabyte HTC One at 661 Euros which equals about United States 881 dollars.

Now that difference could be part of how input / output VAT works, exchange rates charges between the Korean Won and the Euro, or additional costs like storage or warehouse fees. Remember VAT is charge twice and the government gets the difference if my understanding is correct.

Insured shipping depends on boat size and load, not so much about price of goods. It will vary from 20 usd to 200 usd per metric ton depending on distance and goods type. In your cost breakdown, 50 usd is way too much

sentinelsx
May 20, 2013, 09:47 AM

Edit
Edit
Calculation results
Edit

I am amazed no one caught this yet.

Htc is from Taiwan. Not Korea. Samsung and LG are from Korea.

tbayrgs
May 20, 2013, 10:43 AM

Got it on my Dev edition this morning.

onthecouchagain
May 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
Got the update too. No change log that I know of. Just says bug fixes. Sweet.

321estrellas
May 21, 2013, 03:01 AM
Just switched from the iPhone 4, and had the HTC One for almost a week now. I still love the iPhone and Apple, but dreading that their next update probably won't be anything revolutionary, I desperately needed something fresh after 2+ years, and iPhone 5 wasn't it. It wasn't going to be Samsung's S4 either because I want to support the underdog (I like Apple too much and didn't like Samsung's anti-Apple campaign haha). So I figured, by the time my contract is up with the HTC One in 2-3 years, perhaps I'll consider switching back to iPhone if by that time, everything feels fresh again.

Naturally, there were a lot of things I compared it to the iPhone with, and there are a few very small details that I miss on the iPhone, like:
- tapping the top bar to scroll to the top (useful when browsing Facebook or Twitter for a long time)
- having a button at the front to wake the phone up
- how the display wakes up when you receive a notification (I downloaded an app called SMS Wakeup to solve that...but only for text messages)
- how when you send a text, you can immediately type another text message (vs. having to tap the text box again on the HTC One)

All that aside, there are a lot of things I love about the phone, but I'm sure they've been beat to death from previous posts. But if you were to ask anyway, it was the build quality and feel that really sold me. The great speakers are a bonus (I'm not too picky on sound quality, and when I am, I'm wearing headphones). I don't need removable batteries (I'm fortunate to charge during work), external storage (32GB is plenty for me), or a 13 MP camera (I'm usually just posting camera pics on facebook).

For such a great phone, I really hope the HTC One doesn't end up unnoticed in the long run, only to be overshadowed by Apple and Samsung's overwhelming popularity...

Fouracre44
May 21, 2013, 04:48 AM
Having just returned a HTC one, I can safely say the following :

Windows Phone 8 > iOS > Android.

KentuckyHouse
May 22, 2013, 07:48 AM

I respect your opinion, but funny enough, my order would go exactly opposite that.

Android > iOS > WP8

To each their own.

ppeyton1143
May 22, 2013, 08:37 AM

yep, i also returned my htc one, i couldn't tolerate the camera and sense.
but my order would be like this:
iOS > Android > Windows

Fouracre44
May 22, 2013, 11:33 PM
I respect your opinion, but funny enough, my order would go exactly opposite that.

Android > iOS > WP8

To each their own.

Don't get me wrong, Android is an excellent platform. For me, it was about having a phone that was simple to use and intuiative, in terms of customising the phone and apps available etc.. android blows windows out of the park.

But I had to be honest with myself and get something that was easy to use as well as being fun & awesome, fluent live tiles & an incredibly simple and quick interface. For me, the HTC one was a great device, just not a great phone! Best looking phone hands down, best media consumption device etc.. just for a phone the android platform doesn't offer me an easy to use platform, I prefer windows OS. iOS is a little better than android.

LorPGDL
May 23, 2013, 03:47 AM
Don't get me wrong, Android is an excellent platform. For me, it was about having a phone that was simple to use and intuiative, in terms of customising the phone and apps available etc.. android blows windows out of the park.

But I had to be honest with myself and get something that was easy to use as well as being fun & awesome, fluent live tiles & an incredibly simple and quick interface. For me, the HTC one was a great device, just not a great phone! Best looking phone hands down, best media consumption device etc.. just for a phone the android platform doesn't offer me an easy to use platform, I prefer windows OS. iOS is a little better than android.

im aways baffled when i read this, but what is hard to use or do with android? i cannot think of a single thing thats hard to do on the platform, but can think of several that are a pain to do on ios and windows phone. :)

Fouracre44
May 23, 2013, 05:55 AM
im aways baffled when i read this, but what is hard to use or do with android? i cannot think of a single thing thats hard to do on the platform, but can think of several that are a pain to do on ios and windows phone. :)

It's not that it's difficult that's probably the wrong choice of word. I don't find anything on a phone " difficult " I'm quite good with most tech, and am familiar with most mobile platforms - Android, iOS and now Windows Phone.

I think that android struggles to be as fluent and easy to use. You may not be able to understand this, if you work in a certain job. For me, it's because of the tasks I want my phone to perform. Don't worry I'm not bagging android, it's an excellent platform. As a phone I'll take windows.

Reason being, I use my mobile device at work on site, when I want to use my phone it's got a large phone button, and a large text button, the settings are all organised, neat & tidy and the tiles look great and are just easy to swipe through, I don't particularly enjoy the app drawer organisation of android.

I suppose this is possible to do with any phone, but after actually experiencing windows on a mobile device, I have to said I enjoy using the tiles more than the app drawer. This would be a pain for someone who uses their mobile for heaps of media consumption, apps etc. me I use my device more for emails, phonecalls above all else, texting & simple things like xbox & nokia Music... navigation, this phone makes it incredibly easy while maintaing a fluent & simple organised interface.

I'm not biased, I owned and returned the HTC one, played around with the Gs4, the iphone 5, note two.... I've done and used every mobile operating system and had the chance to enjoy each one. Windows is best for me :)

skinnylegs
May 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago. I did so primarily because I was bored with my iPhone and wanted to see what Android was all about. For whatever its worth, here's my take. Mind you, some of my observations have little to do with the HTC One and/or Sense UI; they are specific to Android OS phones in general.

Also, I should preface myself by saying that I am not trolling. Feel free to read through one of my many posts throughout the years I've been on this site. I have a 15" Retina Display MBP, iPad Mini and Apple TV. I have also owned every model of iPhone since standing in line for the better part of a day when they were first released. I am essentially an Apple guy.

Anyway. Here's where I'm at with this HTC One.....

Strengths:

- Outstanding build. I love the look and feel of the HTC One. Dare I say it looks
like something Apple may have built? One of the problems I've had with Android phones is the build quality. I'm not down with the plastic on the S4 and the glittery black on the back of the Nexus 4. Stuff like this make a phone look cheap IMO.

- 4.7" display. .....most of the time. When I'm not driving, I love the 4.7" display. The extra real estate makes using this phone more enjoyable. That said, there are those times when I'm driving around that I wish I had a 4' display. :) I'm wondering what this phone would be like at 4.5"?

- Speakers rock! The dual speakers on the One are arguably the best speakers on any phone available.

- BlinkFeed. Love it. Love it. Love it. I am coming to find that BlinkFeed is either a love or hate relationship but include me in the "love it" camp. What can I say. I'm a news junkie and BlinkFeed is like heroin. "Nuff said. For those of you that don't like it, I can foresee an update from HTC that provides the ability to disable it.

- Lock Screen. I like the option of having different types of lock screens (wallpaper, productivity, photos, music or none). I also like being able to pull down my notifications menu from the lock screen.

- Home screen. BlinkFeed, time and weather. Perfect. Simply perfect. By the way, the weather app is cool and seems to be pretty darn accurate.

- Notifications. I'm sure that part of this has to do with the larger display but notifications are clearly displayed and the ability to swipe individual notifications off the screen is a nice feature.

- Customization. This is a really broad topic but Android devices are *obviously* much more customizable. From live wallpapers to widgets, you can make your phone truly *your* phone. My current setup is as follows. Screen 1 is obviously Blink Fee. Screen 2 has a calendar widget and various toggle widgets including Brightness, Wi-Fi, Hotspot and Sync All. Screen 3 has sticky note widgets. That's it. That's my setup. Where are the app icons? Read the next item. By the way. Don't like my setup? No problem. Create your own. That's part of the beauty of Android OS. .....and no. Moving an app icon from one screen to another on your iPhone is not customization.

- App drawer. One of my biggest complaints about iOS is that when you download an app, the icon for said app will populate to one of your screens. There is no way around this. Sure, you can put 'em in folders or whatever but the reality is that they are still there. The problem with this is that my iPhone is littered with app icons. Three pages of app icons. Yucky. Messy. Cluttered. On my One, I simply depress the center app drawer icon on my dock and there they are all in glorious alphabetical order. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Furthermore, I can choose "Hide Apps" from within settings and have seldom used apps not even show up in the app drawer. This app drawer thing is *huge* for me as I am an organizational freak.

Weaknesses:

- No universal search feature. You can't blame this on Android devices 'cause Apple has a patent on it so they are between a rock and a hard place but I do miss this feature.

- Google Play. Don't get me wrong, Google Play gets the job done. It really does. That said, after using it for a couple weeks you see the advantage of having apps pass a stringent approval process. A lot of the apps in Google Play are utter crap and should be pulled immediately. Not to mention those apps that do nothing more than litter your notification center with ads.

- Camera. I think HTC could have knocked this ball out of the park if they had included a better camera. It's simply not up to par with the iPhone camera. Furthermore, good luck texting or emailing one of those HD videos you take. Can't be done because the file size is too big. IMO this is the One's weakest link. If there is any redeeming quality, it is the Zoe. The way the One takes your stills and Zoe's and puts them into an event that automatically produces a 30 second video complete with sound and effects is awesome.

That's all I can think of for now. The bottom line for me is that the pluses outweigh the minuses so for now I'm sticking with the HTC One.

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago..........

Congrats and great reading your thoughts. Certainly agree with you on the Camera. I think if we'd got an 8-13mp camera it would have been cherry on top of the otherwise great cake.

But hey-ho they have to give us something to want in the HTC One2 ;) :p :D

daveathall
May 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago.

Excellent post, really enjoyed reading it. Enjoy your new phone. :)

skinnylegs
May 25, 2013, 01:57 PM
I think if we'd got an 8-13mp camera it would have been cherry on top of the otherwise great cake.

But hey-ho they have to give us something to want in the HTC One2 Couldn't agree with you more!

@daveathal: Thanks, buddy!

demisb
May 25, 2013, 02:35 PM
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago. I did so primarily because I was bored with my iPhone and wanted to see what Android was all about. For whatever its worth, here's my take. Mind you, some of my observations have little to do with the HTC One and/or Sense UI; they are specific to Android OS phones in general.

Also, I should preface myself by saying that I am not trolling. Feel free to read through one of my many posts throughout the years I've been on this site. I have a 15" Retina Display MBP, iPad Mini and Apple TV. I have also owned every model of iPhone since standing in line for the better part of a day when they were first released. I am essentially an Apple guy.

Anyway. Here's where I'm at with this HTC One.....

Strengths:

- Outstanding build. I love the look and feel of the HTC One. Dare I say it looks
like something Apple may have built? One of the problems I've had with Android phones is the build quality. I'm not down with the plastic on the S4 and the glittery black on the back of the Nexus 4. Stuff like this make a phone look cheap IMO.

- 4.7" display. .....most of the time. When I'm not driving, I love the 4.7" display. The extra real estate makes using this phone more enjoyable. That said, there are those times when I'm driving around that I wish I had a 4' display. :) I'm wondering what this phone would be like at 4.5"?

- Speakers rock! The dual speakers on the One are arguably the best speakers on any phone available.

- BlinkFeed. Love it. Love it. Love it. I am coming to find that BlinkFeed is either a love or hate relationship but include me in the "love it" camp. What can I say. I'm a news junkie and BlinkFeed is like heroin. "Nuff said. For those of you that don't like it, I can foresee an update from HTC that provides the ability to disable it.

- Lock Screen. I like the option of having different types of lock screens (wallpaper, productivity, photos, music or none). I also like being able to pull down my notifications menu from the lock screen.

- Home screen. BlinkFeed, time and weather. Perfect. Simply perfect. By the way, the weather app is cool and seems to be pretty darn accurate.

- Notifications. I'm sure that part of this has to do with the larger display but notifications are clearly displayed and the ability to swipe individual notifications off the screen is a nice feature.

- Customization. This is a really broad topic but Android devices are *obviously* much more customizable. From live wallpapers to widgets, you can make your phone truly *your* phone. My current setup is as follows. Screen 1 is obviously Blink Fee. Screen 2 has a calendar widget and various toggle widgets including Brightness, Wi-Fi, Hotspot and Sync All. Screen 3 has sticky note widgets. That's it. That's my setup. Where are the app icons? Read the next item. By the way. Don't like my setup? No problem. Create your own. That's part of the beauty of Android OS. .....and no. Moving an app icon from one screen to another on your iPhone is not customization.

- App drawer. One of my biggest complaints about iOS is that when you download an app, the icon for said app will populate to one of your screens. There is no way around this. Sure, you can put 'em in folders or whatever but the reality is that they are still there. The problem with this is that my iPhone is littered with app icons. Three pages of app icons. Yucky. Messy. Cluttered. On my One, I simply depress the center app drawer icon on my dock and there they are all in glorious alphabetical order. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Furthermore, I can choose "Hide Apps" from within settings and have seldom used apps not even show up in the app drawer. This app drawer thing is *huge* for me as I am an organizational freak.

Weaknesses:

- No universal search feature. You can't blame this on Android devices 'cause Apple has a patent on it so they are between a rock and a hard place but I do miss this feature.

- Google Play. Don't get me wrong, Google Play gets the job done. It really does. That said, after using it for a couple weeks you see the advantage of having apps pass a stringent approval process. A lot of the apps in Google Play are utter crap and should be pulled immediately. Not to mention those apps that do nothing more than litter your notification center with ads.

- Camera. I think HTC could have knocked this ball out of the park if they had included a better camera. It's simply not up to par with the iPhone camera. Furthermore, good luck texting or emailing one of those HD videos you take. Can't be done because the file size is too big. IMO this is the One's weakest link. If there is any redeeming quality, it is the Zoe. The way the One takes your stills and Zoe's and puts them into an event that automatically produces a 30 second video complete with sound and effects is awesome.

That's all I can think of for now. The bottom line for me is that the pluses outweigh the minuses so for now I'm sticking with the HTC One.

Great reading, and nice to see you' re enjoying Android and one of it's newest flagships:thumbup:

sentinelsx
May 25, 2013, 06:38 PM
It's not that it's difficult that's probably the wrong choice of word. I don't find anything on a phone " difficult " I'm quite good with most tech, and am familiar with most mobile platforms - Android, iOS and now Windows Phone.

I think that android struggles to be as fluent and easy to use. You may not be able to understand this, if you work in a certain job. For me, it's because of the tasks I want my phone to perform. Don't worry I'm not bagging android, it's an excellent platform. As a phone I'll take windows.

Reason being, I use my mobile device at work on site, when I want to use my phone it's got a large phone button, and a large text button, the settings are all organised, neat & tidy and the tiles look great and are just easy to swipe through, I don't particularly enjoy the app drawer organisation of android.

I suppose this is possible to do with any phone, but after actually experiencing windows on a mobile device, I have to said I enjoy using the tiles more than the app drawer. This would be a pain for someone who uses their mobile for heaps of media consumption, apps etc. me I use my device more for emails, phonecalls above all else, texting & simple things like xbox & nokia Music... navigation, this phone makes it incredibly easy while maintaing a fluent & simple organised interface.

I'm not biased, I owned and returned the HTC one, played around with the Gs4, the iphone 5, note two.... I've done and used every mobile operating system and had the chance to enjoy each one. Windows is best for me :)

On the other hand I get turned off the moment I see those tiles. Waste of space in my opinion.

Night Spring
May 26, 2013, 01:19 AM

Really? I'm not doubting you, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Are there any articles or forum discussions on this topic? I'd love to read this patent, it'd be interesting to see exactly what Apple has patented.

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2013, 02:05 AM
Really? I'm not doubting you, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Are there any articles or forum discussions on this topic? I'd love to read this patent, it'd be interesting to see exactly what Apple has patented.

By universal search does he mean search your phone as well as internet? Because it does indeed do that..

Here is a quick search for run and see how it shows content on my phone..

jaymzuk
May 26, 2013, 03:06 AM
Picked up my HTC One on Friday and here are my initial thoughts:

Design: Far and away the best looking phone I've ever used. Sits in the hand perfectly, the increased size (Coming from a 4S) isn't an issue at all. It's stunningly good looking. Fit and finish is perfect. Lock screen button placement will take a bit of getting used to.

Battery: I caned the battery from 8am yesterday with games and music and it lasted me until 7pm. Can't fault it, but will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Features: Best speakers on a phone, love them, and the screen is amazing too. Blinkfeed is a slight annoyance, but I've tucked it into a dark corner of my homescreens, so it's about as much of an annoyance as Siri is. The camera is plenty good enough (I'm no David Bailey, nor will I pretend to be, unlike many a basher on these forums). Speedwise, this thing is a beast, but that goes without saying. It's extremely fluid. Android is perfectly good these days, it's certainly come a long way since I last owned an Android device, which was the original HTC Desire.

Overall, I'm really pleased with it. I won't get into an Android vs iOS debate because if it's good enough, it's good enough, and Android is certainly there now. But the HTC One really brings back memories of the original Motorola Razr. Such a clean design and fantastic feel in the hand, love it.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 12:26 PM
By universal search does he mean search your phone as well as internet? Because it does indeed do that..

Here is a quick search for run and see how it shows content on my phone..
I guess it's a lawsuit Apple has against Samsung. My bad.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 02:11 PM
OK. There is a universal search feature but not implemented as well as in iOS.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 05:55 PM
Maybe somebody can explain this to me. Why do I have to **** videos at 176 x 144 in order to text then? Never was an issue with my iPhone. iOS compresses videos before sending them but the quality is still excellent. At 176 x 144 they're barely discernable.

sentinelsx
May 26, 2013, 06:06 PM
Maybe somebody can explain this to me. Why do I have to **** videos at 176 x 144 in order to text then? Never was an issue with my iPhone. iOS compresses videos before sending them but the quality is still excellent. At 176 x 144 they're barely discernable.

Perhaps because ios uses the iMessage service over a data or wifi connection to send that large file, while your android device is making it small to send it over cellular network as a MMS message.

In other words, don't expect iMessage like functionality. Download a social messaging app and use that instead.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 06:51 PM
Perhaps because ios uses the iMessage service over a data or wifi connection to send that large file, while your android device is making it small to send it over cellular network as a MMS message.

In other words, don't expect iMessage like functionality. Download a social messaging app and use that instead.Not true. I've ran my iPhone without iMessage turned on and I was able to text decent video files to both iPhone and Android users. Furthermore, I did it over 4G LTE. This leads me to believe that limiting of file size is either an Android thing or an HTC thing. I don't expect iMessage functionality but I do expect to be able to text videos that the receiver can actually watch. As you can tell, I like this phone but this issue has left me perplexed.

Are you recommending an alternative texting app that doesn't limit file size? if so, I'm down with that. Any suggestions?

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2013, 07:16 PM
Not true. I've ran my iPhone without iMessage turned on and I was able to text decent video files to both iPhone and Android users. Furthermore, I did it over 4G LTE. This leads me to believe that limiting of file size is either an Android thing or an HTC thing. I don't expect iMessage functionality but I do expect to be able to text videos that the receiver can actually watch. As you can tell, I like this phone but this issue has left me perplexed.

Are you recommending an alternative texting app that doesn't limit file size? if so, I'm down with that. Any suggestions?

What's App or google hangouts perhaps.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 07:27 PM
What's App or google hangouts perhaps.Hmmmmm. There are so many things I like about this HTC One but this may be a make-or-break deal for me. Texting video files of good quality should be a basic function of a smartphone and is something I did regularly from my iPhone. I have read *numerous* posts on *numerous* forums and the bottom line appears to be that you *cannot* text decent video files from an Android phone. All videos need to be degraded to MMS quality. Those within the Android community who have responded to queries such as mine have stated that Apple does the same thing by simply compressing the video before sending it. Yeah. They compress it but it still looks really really good on the receiving end of things. I have no interest in sending somebody a link to a video or uploading to an alternate site. I want to text the video file! If someone can prove me wrong; I stand corrected. If not, IMO this is a fail of epic proportions for Android.

ucfgrad93
May 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
If not, IMO this is a fail of epic proportions for Android.

For your needs it might be, but for me not so much. I have never wanted to send a video file in a text message.

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 08:16 PM
For your needs it might be, but for me not so much. I have never wanted to send a video file in a text message.Have you ever sent a picture via text message?

Peterg2
May 26, 2013, 08:41 PM
Hmmmmm. There are so many things I like about this HTC One but this may be a make-or-break deal for me. Texting video files of good quality should be a basic function of a smartphone and is something I did regularly from my iPhone. I have read *numerous* posts on *numerous* forums and the bottom line appears to be that you *cannot* text decent video files from an Android phone. All videos need to be degraded to MMS quality. Those within the Android community who have responded to queries such as mine have stated that Apple does the same thing by simply compressing the video before sending it. Yeah. They compress it but it still looks really really good on the receiving end of things. I have no interest in sending somebody a link to a video or uploading to an alternate site. I want to text the video file! If someone can prove me wrong; I stand corrected. If not, IMO this is a fail of epic proportions for Android.

I am not sure how this works but a couple of decent reviews on other sites: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ravidapp.videomessenger

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 08:44 PM
I am not sure how this works but a couple of decent reviews on other sites: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ravidapp.videomessengerThanks! I'm gonna try it right now!

skinnylegs
May 26, 2013, 08:57 PM
I am not sure how this works but a couple of decent reviews on other sites: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ravidapp.videomessengerNice find! The app doesn't allow you to send MMS but it does send an email with a link. Not bad. Not the same but not bad and props to you for suggesting this app.

Peterg2
May 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
Nice find! The app doesn't allow you to send MMS but it does send an email with a link. Not bad. Not the same but not bad and props to you for suggesting this app.

As I said, I was not sure how this worked as I have not tried it, but this app does not get over one of your primary objections which was sending an email link :)

ucfgrad93
May 26, 2013, 11:32 PM
Have you ever sent a picture via text message?

Plenty of times. Never had a desire to send a video via text.

KentuckyHouse
May 26, 2013, 11:47 PM
This isn't an Android problem, per se (the limiting of file sizes on picture or video MMS). The reason you get better quality MMS on the iPhone (even before iMessage) is because AT&T gave Apple a sweet deal when they were the lone carrier of the iPhone. Hopefully, eventually, Android will build up enough clout to demand the same type of deal.

It's the one thing that drives me crazy about Android as opposed to iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and I use Android. If she sends me a MMS, the picture is large and barely compressed. If I send her one, however, the quality of the picture is usually crap. It's annoying as heck, but the overall experience of Android devices makes it worth it.

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2013, 02:28 AM
Nice find! The app doesn't allow you to send MMS but it does send an email with a link. Not bad. Not the same but not bad and props to you for suggesting this app.

Would Dropbox suffice? Can you not upload video clip to Dropbox and then message the folks the link to it?

sentinelsx
May 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
Not true. I've ran my iPhone without iMessage turned on and I was able to text decent video files to both iPhone and Android users. Furthermore, I did it over 4G LTE. This leads me to believe that limiting of file size is either an Android thing or an HTC thing. I don't expect iMessage functionality but I do expect to be able to text videos that the receiver can actually watch. As you can tell, I like this phone but this issue has left me perplexed.

Unfortunately I am not able to as I don't use that feature often :(

I guess that is another must have in google hangouts. Time to make a suggestion.

If that is very important to you though I guess your best choice is to use an iPhone. Needs before wants :)

skinnylegs
May 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
This isn't an Android problem, per se (the limiting of file sizes on picture or video MMS). The reason you get better quality MMS on the iPhone (even before iMessage) is because AT&T gave Apple a sweet deal when they were the lone carrier of the iPhone. Hopefully, eventually, Android will build up enough clout to demand the same type of deal.

It's the one thing that drives me crazy about Android as opposed to iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and I use Android. If she sends me a MMS, the picture is large and barely compressed. If I send her one, however, the quality of the picture is usually crap. It's annoying as heck, but the overall experience of Android devices makes it worth it.Thank you for explaining this to me. Now it makes complete sense. :)

----------

Would Dropbox suffice? Can you not upload video clip to Dropbox and then message the folks the link to it?Hmmmm. That sounds like a good idea. I have DropBox. Use it for my company files but have never used it for pics. Gonna look into that right now. Ravid gets the job done but requires sending an email. I'd prefer a link in a text message to an email. Thanks!

KentuckyHouse
May 27, 2013, 03:16 PM
Would Dropbox suffice? Can you not upload video clip to Dropbox and then message the folks the link to it?

Good suggestion MRU. I really need to start using all the cloud services I've got for this purpose. Between Dropbox, Drive, etc, I've got like 130 gb of storage space.

cuzo
May 27, 2013, 08:37 PM
I think I'm dumping my iPhone 5 and my reasons are small screen and the lack of not being able to use call blocking programs.

Also some of the programs like drop of are better on android.

onthecouchagain
May 27, 2013, 10:33 PM
Love this article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/26/4366104/size-matters-how-i-went-from-an-iphone-to-a-really-big-android-phone

Especially this:

But I was wrong. By the end of the trip I was emailing other Verge writers, effusively praising the glories of Android. Rdio worked beautifully! The notifications were so much better than the iPhone’s! My email, oh God, my email. I composed long, beautiful emails in dead spots where I had no service and it quietly sent them later on. The Twitter app seemed... better. It loaded faster, I thought. The battery life was better than my iPhone’s. I could effortlessly Gchat, 24 hours a day! Editing documents on my phone was something I could actually do realistically now. Oh, and the maps put the iPhone 4 to shame. There were other, smaller things, too, but I can’t remember them, because it’s now been so long since I touched an iPhone.

Some of this stuff is amazingly accurate. I especially agree about her thoughts on emailing and maps. The talking points against android are growing ever slimmer, too, now that more stock android options are becoming available.

Good read.

Night Spring
May 28, 2013, 12:47 AM
I composed long, beautiful emails in dead spots where I had no service and it quietly sent them later on.

What does iOS do in this case? I know I've composed emails on my iPad while offline, and they get saved to an Outbox, but I can't recall if I needed to do anything to send them, or if it automatically sent when it got reconnected to the Internet.

onthecouchagain
May 28, 2013, 07:21 AM
What does iOS do in this case? I know I've composed emails on my iPad while offline, and they get saved to an Outbox, but I can't recall if I needed to do anything to send them, or if it automatically sent when it got reconnected to the Internet.

Don't remember myself. But I know that ios if you don't get service you can't send messages nor browse the Web nor check your emails. With Gmail I know I can open up old mail as far back as I want. Messages "send" but really send later. Can't do that on ios. As for safari if you have no service it just blanks out on you. With chrome the page stays so you can at least finish reading what was already loaded. It also allows you to go back. With safari going back gives you that black page again.

I've opened attachments that were never opened before without service too on Gmail.

Zaft
May 28, 2013, 08:04 AM
Love this article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/26/4366104/size-matters-how-i-went-from-an-iphone-to-a-really-big-android-phone

Especially this:

But I was wrong. By the end of the trip I was emailing other Verge writers, effusively praising the glories of Android. Rdio worked beautifully! The notifications were so much better than the iPhone’s! My email, oh God, my email. I composed long, beautiful emails in dead spots where I had no service and it quietly sent them later on. The Twitter app seemed... better. It loaded faster, I thought. The battery life was better than my iPhone’s. I could effortlessly Gchat, 24 hours a day! Editing documents on my phone was something I could actually do realistically now. Oh, and the maps put the iPhone 4 to shame. There were other, smaller things, too, but I can’t remember them, because it’s now been so long since I touched an iPhone.

Some of this stuff is amazingly accurate. I especially agree about her thoughts on emailing and maps. The talking points against android are growing ever slimmer, too, now that more stock android options are becoming available.

Good read.

He is using an iphone 4 though. Which is old now and lags quite a bit.

jaymzuk
May 28, 2013, 04:50 PM
He is using an iphone 4 though. Which is old now and lags quite a bit.

I'm feeling the same way after moving from a 4S.

The HTC One just does exactly what I want and need it to do, with little fuss, great speed and fantastic looks.

After having a HTC One in my hand, the 4S feels slightly like a toy, dimension-wise

skinnylegs
May 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
So after a couple weeks with the HTC One, I have come to the conclusion that each phone has its strengths and weaknesses. There are things the One does better and there are things the iPhone does better. I don't think this is even arguable. If you ditch your iPhone for a One, I guarantee you there are things you will miss. Same can be said if you ditch you iPhone for a One.

Bring on the Frankenphone........

SnowLeopard2008
May 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
I'm feeling the same way after moving from a 4S.

The HTC One just does exactly what I want and need it to do, with little fuss, great speed and fantastic looks.

After having a HTC One in my hand, the 4S feels slightly like a toy, dimension-wise

Try a 5. 4S almost 2 years old. The One is barely a few months old. I love the HTC One for everything except BlinkFeed and maybe Sense. Once they roll out that Nexus edition, I'm on board. It's very close to what Apple would come out with if they made Android devices.

strausd
May 28, 2013, 05:39 PM
Try a 5. 4S almost 2 years old. The One is barely a few months old. I love the HTC One for everything except BlinkFeed and maybe Sense. Once they roll out that Nexus edition, I'm on board. It's very close to what Apple would come out with if they made Android devices.

I am worried that the GE HTC One might have some issues, especially when it comes to what buttons are on the phone. I remember reading an article a few days ago about the specific issues it could run into, but I can't seem to find it.

skinnylegs
May 28, 2013, 05:39 PM
Try a 5. 4S almost 2 years old. The One is barely a few months old. I love the HTC One for everything except BlinkFeed and maybe Sense. Once they roll out that Nexus edition, I'm on board. It's very close to what Apple would come out with if they made Android devices.Funny you should say that. BlinkFeed is the thing I will miss the most if I return to my iPhone. ....and I probably will. The camera is simply not up to par with the iPhone and pictures and videos are a big deal to me. Furthermore, the HTC One Gallery is poorly designed. You know those "digging" commercials HTC One has going on? Try attaching a pic to an SMS and then let's talk about digging. Mind you, I'm not totally bagging on this phone. There are plenty of things I like about it but.....

SnowLeopard2008
May 28, 2013, 05:49 PM

Especially this:

Good read.

And some is amazingly dumb. It has LTE. It has Beats. Go back almost 3 years, NO phone had LTE when iPhone 4 came out or even half a year later. NO phone had Beats (I think). And on top of that, Beats suck pretty bad if you prefer high quality audio. iPhone sized? There's been a bigger iPhone many months before the One.

There are plenty of things about Android that are really truly amazing and even some where Apple got inspiration (notifications). She hit on none of these. LTE? Beats? Sending emails at later time when you have no service currently? She's not the standard smartphone user. She's even beneath the average joe. Don't get me wrong, I love the HTC One. It's a really well designed from hardware to software (although I personally want to remove BlinkFeed). This article is just trash.

----------

I am worried that the GE HTC One might have some issues, especially when it comes to what buttons are on the phone. I remember reading an article a few days ago about the specific issues it could run into, but I can't seem to find it.

As long as they don't add a physical home button, I'm all for it. Physical buttons wear out over time and this is one area I think Android is pretty far ahead. I know there are some discrepancies with vanilla Android's button layout versus what manufacturers actually end up making (looking at Samsung's physical home button) but I'm confident they will work it out.

----------

Funny you should say that. BlinkFeed is the thing I will miss the most if I return to my iPhone. ....and I probably will. The camera is simply not up to par with the iPhone and pictures and videos are a big deal to me. Furthermore, the HTC One Gallery is poorly designed. You know those "digging" commercials HTC One has going on? Try attaching a pic to an SMS and then let's talk about digging. Mind you, I'm not totally bagging on this phone. There are plenty of things I like about it but.....

Each to his own. I read that you can't "remove" BlinkFeed all together. If that is incorrect, then I retract what I said since I assumed what I read was accurate (BlinkFeed being permanently installed unless you root or something like that). I'd rather have it as an app I can choose to download or not download. I prefer Flipboard for my news and such.

I might be in the minority, but vanilla Android on any of the current or past flagship Androids would be incredible. No crapware like what Verizon puts on their phone. No UI stuff like Sense or TouchWiz. No DOA fillerware like Samsung's Auto Scroll and their other nonsense junk on the S3/S4. Just pure vanilla Android. Beautiful.

KentuckyHouse
May 28, 2013, 08:02 PM
I do what a lot of another people here have done...use a different launcher but set a gesture so I can quickly bring up BlinkFeed. I actually like it and I'm sure it'll just get better over time.

I flashed CleanROM 2.5 this morning, so no more bloat for me. The phone's running great although I'm not sure I'll ever get completely used to the battery life after using my Note 2. That thing just pampers you with battery life.

Overall, I really like the One. Like others, I wish the camera was better, but for what it is, it works well.

jaymzuk
May 29, 2013, 03:21 PM

But what's different between the 4S and the 5?

Running iOS6 means the handset was feature complete. Size wasn't a deciding factor in my purchase, so I really don't understand what there is to gain by trying a 5. The times I've used a friend's iPhone 5, I was quite unimpressed

Orlandoech
May 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'm writing my HTC One and iPhone 5 comparisons this

I hope to help people with my review. You can see some of my reviews/guides in my sig.

RetepNamenots
May 29, 2013, 03:28 PM

There's a menu option to disable blinkfeed.

Orlandoech
May 29, 2013, 03:35 PM

Can you tell me where?

Peterg2
May 29, 2013, 03:36 PM

You cannot disable Blinkfeed, but you can simply set another home screen as default. You never have to see Blinkfeed again as long as you do not swipe to it. Pretty simple I would believe. You do not have to have any feeds there at all. It can merely be a blank screen.

For myself, I quite like it and a couple of times a day I will have a browse at the topics.

blairh
May 29, 2013, 03:42 PM
Can you wake the One by tapping the home button or must you press the power button on the top?

Orlandoech
May 29, 2013, 03:48 PM
Can you wake the One by tapping the home button or must you press the power button on the top?

You must tap the button at the top (power), not even the volume button wakes it up. I wish the HOME or BACK button did.

They are apps to get around this though, such as; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wildroid.wake.up.screen&hl=en

Even with the iPhone you have to hit the LOCK button or HOME button, but at least the HOME button in more conveniently located than the POWER button on the HTC ONE.

blairh
May 29, 2013, 06:09 PM
You must tap the button at the top (power), not even the volume button wakes it up. I wish the HOME or BACK button did.

They are apps to get around this though, such as; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wildroid.wake.up.screen&hl=en

Even with the iPhone you have to hit the LOCK button or HOME button, but at least the HOME button in more conveniently located than the POWER button on the HTC ONE.

That's a shame IMO.

MacRumorUser
May 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
That's a shame IMO.

There's actually a custom rom out which allows the home button to wake the device and the HTC button/logo to lock it.

Hopefully HTC release some form of these customisations as I'm a bit too terrified of flashing roms.

onthecouchagain
May 29, 2013, 07:20 PM

Woah. When I get the chance I'm going to research this app. Sounds amazing!

AutoUnion39
May 29, 2013, 07:29 PM
OP, I see what you were complaining about. The button layout on the front is terrible. Whoever thought of this needs to get fired. I keep hitting the central HTC logo. And the power button placement is still horrible. Come on HTC.

Peterg2
May 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
OP, I see what you were complaining about. The button layout on the front is terrible. Whoever thought of this needs to get fired. I keep hitting the central HTC logo. And the power button placement is still horrible. Come on HTC.

I got used to this with no effort at all. Not once did I try and press the center "button". "Needs to get fired?". If you had done the *bare* minimum of research like, read a couple of reviews, you would have known this. It is as if you have not read practically anything regarding this phone, despite coming in, especially a couple of months ago, into practically every thread to do with the One.

The way you replied above, "I see what you were complaining ...." you pretend that this was news to you and only discovered it now. However, you knew about this over two months ago in this post as to why you were going for the S4 over the One:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17033568&postcount=53

To quote you: "better button layout (power button on side, home button in middle, etc)" So you knew this and now you express surprise?

AutoUnion39
May 29, 2013, 07:37 PM
I got used to this with no effort at all. Not once did I try and press the center "button". "Needs to get fired?". If you had done the *bare* minimum of research like, read a couple of reviews, you would have known this. It is as if you have not read practically anything regarding this phone, despite coming in, especially a couple of months ago, into practically every thread to do with the One.

pretty much every other smartphone out there has a centrally located home button. what makes HTC so special that they can go ahead the norm?

Peterg2
May 29, 2013, 07:39 PM
pretty much every other smartphone out there has a centrally located home button. what makes HTC so special that they can go ahead the norm?

I repeat, what are you doing trading a phone for the One without essentially knowing anything about it. Did you not go to a store and play with it a few minutes?? You never read one review??

AutoUnion39
May 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
I repeat, what are you doing trading a phone for the One without essentially knowing anything about it. Did you not go to a store and play with it a few minutes?? You never read one review??

:rolleyes:

Looks like we aren't able to complain about something we actually own right?

jesus, the HTC boys are so wound up these days, it's sad.

Peterg2
May 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
:rolleyes:

Looks like we aren't able to complain about something we actually own right?

jesus, the HTC boys are so wound up these days, it's sad.

Some of us are well aware of your previous modus operandi and this seems simply more of the same.

Orlandoech
May 29, 2013, 07:46 PM
HTC designed it that way because of Googles recommendation for riding of buttons.

Samsung is still adding it even though Google has asked them to stop, so Android can get away with physical buttons.

onthecouchagain
May 29, 2013, 09:26 PM
People have a right to try a device out for themselves to "confirm" whether something will indeed bother them or not. Real world usage is quite different than reading reviews or doing research. Not saying none of that is important but just that I can understand someone voicing their complaint even if they already anticapated it.

Having said that I've also gotten used to the home button placement but that's only becaus there's no other choice without rooting. If you want the One, you have to get used to it.

And regardless if someone does or doesn't get used to it, it doesn't change the obvious point that htc could have and should have made the home button the central htc button. Again, it would have been symbolic. "Htc" is home. It's a damn shame they didn't.

skinnylegs
May 30, 2013, 11:26 AM
I've had my One for a couple weeks now and I am sticking with it. Still have my iPhone but it sits in my bedside drawer. In terms of the One - for me - the positives outweigh the negatives and let's face it; there is no perfect phone.

Noticed there were a few comments about the button layout. After two weeks, I instinctively move to the upper left to turn it on or off and I actually think I prefer this placement of the power button. Given the size of the phone and the way I hold it, moving my index finger to the upper left seems more natural than moving my thumb to the upper right.

I am having issues with the Back and Home button. Maybe my phone is defective but in low light conditions these buttons don't alway illuminate. Is anyone else having this problem or is there a setting I'm not seeing?

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 11:29 AM
I am having issues with the Back and Home button. Maybe my phone is defective but in low light conditions these buttons don't alway illuminate. Is anyone else having this problem or is there a setting I'm not seeing?

No it should auto detect the conditions itself and determine whether to illuminate them. I've never had a problem with them.

skinnylegs
May 30, 2013, 11:31 AM
No it should auto detect the conditions itself and determine whether to illuminate them. I've never had a problem with them.Hmmmmm. Maybe mine is defective.

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
Hmmmmm. Maybe mine is defective.

Or software bug.

What software version are you running on yours at the moment.

(are you running the new camera improvements / boom sound audio / capacitive button fixed firmware ? )

Peterg2
May 30, 2013, 11:45 AM
I've had my One for a couple weeks now and I am sticking with it. Still have my iPhone but it sits in my bedside drawer. In terms of the One - for me - the positives outweigh the negatives and let's face it; there is no perfect phone.

Noticed there were a few comments about the button layout. After two weeks, I instinctively move to the upper left to turn it on or off and I actually think I prefer this placement of the power button. Given the size of the phone and the way I hold it, moving my index finger to the upper left seems more natural than moving my thumb to the upper right.

I, too, have this issue and scoured this topic on xda-developers. I believe mine are working "as intended" but not what I would call ideally.

One test is to go into a dark room, wait a bit of time and see, if they indeed do light up a faint level of almost purple (some seem to see only white. Do that a few times and see if this works without fail.

Easier, simply place your hand over the light sensor (two openings at the top left of the speaker grille - that controls the brightness of the buttons) and within a few seconds they should light up no matter what.

It does appear that this is software related and I really doubt this is hardware.

skinnylegs
May 30, 2013, 11:53 AM
Or software bug.

What software version are you running on yours at the moment.

(are you running the new camera improvements / boom sound audio / capacitive button fixed firmware ? )I'm on 4.1.2. As far and I know, I have not updated the OS or Sense since purchasing the phone. I check Software Update frequently but there never is anything. How can I get the updates you mentioned?

----------

I, too, have this issue and scoured this topic on xda-developers. I believe mine are working "as intended" but not what I would call ideally.

One test is to go into a dark room, wait a bit of time and see, if they indeed do light up a faint level of almost purple (some seem to see only white. Do that a few times and see if this works without fail.

Easier, simply place your hand over the light sensor (two openings at the top left of the speaker grille - that controls the brightness of the buttons) and within a few seconds they should light up no matter what.

It does appear that this is software related and I really doubt this is hardware.Thanks for the reply. Thanks for pointing out where the sensors are.When I cover the sensors, the buttons illuminate within a couple seconds but in real world use, they don't always illuminate when they should. Interesting. I wish there was a way to keep them illuminated.

SnowLeopard2008
May 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
But what's different between the 4S and the 5?

Running iOS6 means the handset was feature complete. Size wasn't a deciding factor in my purchase, so I really don't understand what there is to gain by trying a 5. The times I've used a friend's iPhone 5, I was quite unimpressed

First, you already listed one difference. Size. Then comes hardware like camera, microphones, speakers, display technology, CPU/GPU, RAM, etc. There is a whole world of difference between an almost 2 year old electronic device and a few months old electronic device of the same product category. The deciding factor for you was software. Anything physical like hardware or design or physical size was not part of your thought process.

----------

I did not know that. Many of the reviews I've read didn't mention that. Thanks! :)

----------

People have a right to try a device out for themselves to "confirm" whether something will indeed bother them or not. Real world usage is quite different than reading reviews or doing research. Not saying none of that is important but just that I can understand someone voicing their complaint even if they already anticapated it.

Having said that I've also gotten used to the home button placement but that's only becaus there's no other choice without rooting. If you want the One, you have to get used to it.

And regardless if someone does or doesn't get used to it, it doesn't change the obvious point that htc could have and should have made the home button the central htc button. Again, it would have been symbolic. "Htc" is home. It's a damn shame they didn't.

Seeing how open/hacker-friendly Android is in general, I bet someone already released some tweak to change this. If not, that's a good idea for someone who does Android development (like myself).

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 12:24 PM
I'm on 4.1.2. As far and I know, I have not updated the OS or Sense since purchasing the phone. I check Software Update frequently but there never is anything. How can I get the updates you mentioned?[COLOR="#808080"]

No that is android version. If you go into settings, about, software information.

What is the 'software number' not the 'android version'.... :-)

What carrier are you on also ?

----------

I did not know that. Many of the reviews I've read didn't mention that. Thanks! :)[COLOR="#808080"]

You can't turn it off. He or She is wrong.

skinnylegs
May 30, 2013, 12:48 PM
No that is android version. If you go into settings, about, software information.

What is the 'software number' not the 'android version'.... :-)

What carrier are you on also ?

----------

You can't turn it off. He or She is wrong.Ahhhh,=. Gotcha. Software number is 1.26.502.10. HTC SDK API level is 5.12.

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 03:34 PM
Ahhhh,=. Gotcha. Software number is 1.26.502.10. HTC SDK API level is 5.12.

Yeah your running the older software.

We have been updated to 1.29.401.12 + and these have a lot of software fixes.

What carrier are you on ?

skinnylegs
May 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
Really? Cool. AT&T.

Kariya
May 30, 2013, 04:53 PM
Yeah your running the older software.

We have been updated to 1.29.401.12 + and these have a lot of software fixes.

What carrier are you on ?

Mine says 1.29.401.13.

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 04:57 PM
Mine says 1.29.401.13.

I believe you should have the newer update with camera fixes and capacitive button fixes. Your .01 (.13 as opposed to .12) revision ahead too

:) :)

----------

Really? Cool. AT&T.

Have you manually checked for firmware / software update in settings/about/software update.

AT&T have been notorious in the past rolling out updates from HTC.

Kariya
May 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
I believe you should have the newer update with camera fixes and capacitive button fixes. Your .01 (.13 as opposed to .12) revision ahead too

:) :)

Ah i see. Haven't done extensive camera testing because of the crappy weather. Looking to start tomorrow all the way through the weekend.

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
Ah i see. Haven't done extensive camera testing because of the crappy weather. Looking to start tomorrow all the way through the weekend.

Handy tip. Set the settings to sharpness -2 or -1, it improves quality :-)

Macro mode on the HTC one is awesome too. Check that out :-)

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 05:29 PM
Quick snap from earlier. Now my wallpaper, some Irish Hawthorne flowers.

Kariya
May 30, 2013, 05:32 PM
Handy tip. Set the settings to sharpness -2 or -1, it improves quality :-)

Macro mode on the HTC one is awesome too. Check that out :-)

Cheers. Will do.

Fernandez21
May 30, 2013, 06:09 PM
Just got an update to my HTC One (at&t), I'm now on 1.26.502.12. Anyone know what's on this update?

Peterg2
May 30, 2013, 06:19 PM
Just got an update to my HTC One (at&t), I'm now on 1.26.502.12. Anyone know what's on this update?

Seemingly similar to the one that I received in Canada a week or so ago and what Sprint received prior to that.

My experience is a bit more battery life (which was very good prior to that), *perhaps* better capacitive button responsiveness (I think the issue was not the responsiveness but the area of the button). This does not contain the camera update (check your camera app).

Nothing earth-shattering but worthwhile:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/284305-new-software-update-t.html

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2013, 06:21 PM

As far as I can tell it as the boom sound volume fixes and fixes for the capacitive buttons.

Not sure about camera. If you go into settings / apps / all and look for camera. What version software is it showing.

Mines 5.0.582172

----------

Seemingly similar to the one that I received in Canada a week or so ago and what Sprint received prior to that.

My experience is a bit more battery life (which was very good prior to that), *perhaps* better capacitive button responsiveness (I think the issue was not the responsiveness but the area of the button). This does not contain the camera update (check your camera app).

Nothing earth-shattering but worthwhile:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/284305-new-software-update-t.html

You got there before me buddy :)

Fernandez21
May 30, 2013, 09:18 PM
As far as I can tell it as the boom sound volume fixes and fixes for the capacitive buttons.

Not sure about camera. If you go into settings / apps / all and look for camera. What version software is it showing.

Mines 5.0.582172

----------

You got there before me buddy :)

It says 5.0.569008

skinnylegs
May 30, 2013, 10:17 PM
Finally got my update!

EDIT: I think this is just the AT&T update. :(

MacRumorUser
May 31, 2013, 01:32 AM
It says 5.0.569008

Yep so as PeterG2 says. All the fixes except camera update.

----------

Finally got my update!

EDIT: I think this is just the AT&T update. :(

Its still got the capacitive button fixes, general performance and volume / boom sound fixes.

We're not quite sure why they didn't update the camera on your software update compared to some of us in other 'global regions'....

Maybe saving that for the 4.2.2 bigger update due soon..

daneoni
Jun 1, 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm using the device with a clear skin on the back, and a generic static screen protector on front. The skin protector is barely noticeable, and I love it:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/ButZ8Cy.jpg)

Where did you get the clear skin from?

onthecouchagain
Jun 1, 2013, 08:42 PM
Where did you get the clear skin from?

Xtreme Guard:

http://www.xtremeguard.com/HTC-One-Screen-Protectors-p/htc-one-screen-protector.htm#.Uaqi7WSDRDZ

daneoni
Jun 1, 2013, 08:44 PM
Xtreme Guard:

http://www.xtremeguard.com/HTC-One-Screen-Protectors-p/htc-one-screen-protector.htm#.Uaqi7WSDRDZ

Is it liquid or dry application?

onthecouchagain
Jun 1, 2013, 10:02 PM
Is it liquid or dry application?

Liquid, but it's very easy with the One since it's fairly "flat."

MacRumorUser
Jun 2, 2013, 01:51 AM

I put a zagg shield on the back of mine. A spigen SGP ultra crystal on the front, and a special camera lens protector (like a screen protector fr camera lens that doesn't impact clarity).....

and yet I still put a case on ? :D

daneoni
Jun 2, 2013, 05:29 AM

Noted. Thanks.

onthecouchagain
Jun 2, 2013, 09:16 AM
I put a zagg shield on the back of mine. A spigen SGP ultra crystal on the front, and a special camera lens protector (like a screen protector fr camera lens that doesn't impact clarity).....

and yet I still put a case on ? :D

Ha. Gotta protect your baby.

I, personally, hate cases. I just need minimum protection from scratches, which is why I use skins. My front screen protector is also a generic static screen protector.

For times when I need heavy duty protecting (like if I have to toss my phone into a gym bag or something...) I use my trusty Etsy pouch. :)

Daneoni, you might be interested in it:

http://img1.etsystatic.com/016/0/7966789/il_570xN.445575391_5hs2.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/127291060/sale-20-off-felt-htc-droid-dna-butterfly?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=htc+one+m7&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto4&ga_search_type=all

Noted. Thanks.

daneoni
Jun 2, 2013, 01:11 PM
^
Seems nice. Might pick one up. Still pondering whether to wait for the unlocked versions to come back in stock or simply get one from O2.

bionic1ight
Jun 6, 2013, 04:51 PM
Good suggestion MRU. I really need to start using all the cloud services I've got for this purpose. Between Dropbox, Drive, etc, I've got like 130 gb of storage space.

Did you ever find a solution that works out for you?
I'm in the same boat as you with wife having an iphone and we send each other a lot of videos back and forth of our kids at sports events.
I was hoping to find an alternative cross platform messaging app that could send decent quality photos and videos.

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2013, 06:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as you with wife having an iphone and we send each other a lot of videos back and forth of our kids at sports events.
I was hoping to find an alternative cross platform messaging app that could send decent quality photos and videos.

Simple set up a Dropbox account that is shared between you. You upload a video or whatever else to Dropbox and she will be able to access it on her iPhone as soon as its uploaded, same for pictures, files etc..

onthecouchagain
Jun 6, 2013, 07:56 PM
Finally got my $100 rebate card from HTC (or Clover Wireless) in the mail.

Sweeeeet.

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2013, 08:01 PM
Finally got my $100 rebate card from HTC (or Clover Wireless) in the mail.

Sweeeeet.

Cool :cool: can someone send me €100 please :D

skinnylegs
Jun 6, 2013, 09:23 PM
I found Drop Box to be rather slow so I settled on Ravid. Pristine video quality.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 6, 2013, 09:58 PM

I'll probably go the route of setting up a shared dropbox account. There's no way I could get her to use something like Hangouts because she's so married to the SMS app on her iPhone.

You know what would be ideal? If Apple would do something like Google or BlackBerry and bring iMessage to other platforms. That would be perfect. But I'm sure that will never happen.

skinnylegs
Jun 6, 2013, 10:55 PM
I'll probably go the route of setting up a shared dropbox account. There's no way I could get her to use something like Hangouts because she's so married to the SMS app on her iPhone.

You know what would be ideal? If Apple would do something like Google or BlackBerry AMD bring iMessage to other platforms. That would be perfect. But I'm sure that will never happen.
Not gonna happen.

superstarmc
Jun 7, 2013, 08:23 AM
I got to wait until verizon gets this thing.

jrswizzle
Jun 7, 2013, 08:54 AM
Ha. Gotta protect your baby.

I, personally, hate cases. I just need minimum protection from scratches, which is why I use skins. My front screen protector is also a generic static screen protector.

For times when I need heavy duty protecting (like if I have to toss my phone into a gym bag or something...) I use my trusty Etsy pouch. :)

Daneoni, you might be interested in it:

Image (http://img1.etsystatic.com/016/0/7966789/il_570xN.445575391_5hs2.jpg)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/127291060/sale-20-off-felt-htc-droid-dna-butterfly?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=htc+one+m7&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto4&ga_search_type=all

I just picked one up.....you keep pushing them and it seems like the great solution for someone who's not big on cases but wants some protection every now and then :p