Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Dear Users,

I hope someone can grant me the answer I am looking for.

To start off ny issue, I had a macbook pro 2012 with a 500g standard hd. Now I purchased win7 , created a partition (split disk in 2 even partitions) and installed win7 on the bootcamp partition. Worked completely fine.

Now I decided to install a 512gb SSD as my main disk running OSX. I took out my cd drive and placed the old hd in its place (running windows). So I deleted the osx partition of that windows drive. So in this case I had a 500g hd using only 250g for my windows.

I wanted to use the full capacity of that disk. So what I did is a week ago, I purchased a physical copy of windows 8. My thoughts were, format the old hd and use it completely to install win8 on it.

Now formatted the hd, went to my ssd, ran bootcamp and it restarted booting from the win8 cd. I followed a few steps untill I came to decide which disk win8 should be installed on: Issue 1: I couldn;t select any disk, so I selected the bootcamp disk (hd) formatted it but still continue was grayed out for me. I view issues and it said : Can;t select the disk for the operating system, enable disk controller in the BIOS. This is weird, since macbooks do not have a BIOS?

after screwing around trying to fix this, I desperately gave up on win8 .... ( I still want this to work so if any1 has got some ideas? couldn't find any way to fix this on google).

Now I just wanted my old setup back, which means having win7 on the old hd , built in along side in my mbp. But suddenly when I boot from my win7 cd I get a black screen with a flashing white dash....

I googled around people saying I need to fix my MBR. How to do this on a mac which does not boot from windows disks?

And most importantly , how do I get windows (pref win8) running AGAIN on my MBP?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!!!

Joey

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Now I decided to install a 512gb SSD as my main disk running OSX. I took out my cd drive and placed the old hd in its place (running windows). So I deleted the osx partition of that windows drive. So in this case I had a 500g hd using only 250g for my windows.

Reverse the position of the 2 disks. Windows can't boot from a disk, SSD or otherwise, that's in the DVD bay. There's no performance difference between the two SATA connections; both are 6GB SATA.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
It is my understanding that Boot Camp is designed to work only with partitions on a single drive, not with two distinct drives.

You had a great idea for setting up your computer as you wanted. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to mesh with Apple's ideas.

Edit: Apparently I'm completely wrong about this. Just did my research, which I should have done before posting. Looks like it doesn't matter which drive you use for Windows.

Last edited:

Satoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Progress

Yeah haha , bascicly just installed the drive and the original hd to its place, now I could read disks again and now selecting the disks for install. I'll trie updating as soon as I have installed. Can I reverse the cd drive and ssd again tho after Ive installed win8 or will it have trouble booting?

jrabbit

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
St. Louis, MO
You *can* boot from the drive in the optical bay. The trick is to have things set up in the HDD bay first, then switch the drives. Here's the way I did it:

1. Have the normal OS X partition all squared away in the HDD bay. Leave the optical drive in the optical bay.
  2. Swap the drive so the target of your Boot Camp is in the HDD bay. Boot from the OS X drive mounted externally (in an enclosure or using a SATA-to-USB adapter rig). Leave the optical drive in the internal bay.
  3. Run through the Boot Camp setup with the target disk. At the time I did it, I went through a full Windows 7 installation, then upgraded to Windows 8. The newer Boot Camp should support Windows 8 from the start.
  4. Swap all the drives around, and test.
  5. To make my life easier, I installed rEFIt to manage the boot menu.

I now have OS X on a SATA III SSD in the HDD bay, and a SATA II SSD in the optical bay with a Windows 8 Boot Camp partition and an extra OS X data partition on that one. My late 2011 MBP only supports SATA II in the optical bay, so be careful about that--it saved me money on the drive, but I tested the SATA III drive in the optical bay, and ran into problems, so for my machine it was required.

Note that there is a bit of drive swapping here; I just used Scotch tape to hold things in place rather than screwing/unscrewing the drive mounts until I was done and finished with testing. Just be careful...

Satoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Worked

Yes I got itmup and running. I indeed put the hd back in the original bay and the opticaldrive in its original place. Managed to install win8 and bootcamp. Than swapped the optical bay out again and the had to the optical bay. Than put my ssd in in.

:D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.