PDA

View Full Version : Android 4.3?

Michael Goff
Apr 27, 2013, 04:03 PM
As everyone is trying to guess whether the next big Android update is going to be Key Lime Pie or not, and whether the release will be Android 5.X or 4.X, we have yet to hear anything concrete. After getting a tip from an eagle-eyed reader (thanks, deepayan!) and digging deeper, I can definitively tell you that Google is currently working on Android 4.3, and it is still Jelly Bean.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04/26/google-is-working-on-and-testing-android-4-3-its-still-jelly-bean/

Anyone else disappointed? Small number difference probably means small differences. Key Lime Pie might not be coming yet.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 04:11 PM
I suspected KLP would be delayed. Don't expect it till September I'm thinking.

Assault
Apr 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Point updates mean the addition or subtraction or modification of Google apps within the OS, but using the same base code format for developers to easily upgrade. (Google Babble will be in 4.3 for instance.)

Number updates signifies a complete code update. Think how different 2.x was to 4.x or the completely bastardized 3.x was for tablets like the original Galaxy Tabs and Xoom.

While I still believe Google will discuss 5.0 at I/O next month, I don't think they will release any code or make a promise of a specific release date. More like KLP will be released "in the fall" of 2013 (likely around the time Apple releases the iPhone 5s in order to steal some thunder from Apples announcement.)

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 04:16 PM
Point updates mean the addition or subtraction or modification of Google apps within the OS, but using the same base code format for developers to easily upgrade. (Google Babble will be in 4.3 for instance.)

Number updates signifies a complete code update. Think how different 2.x was to 4.x or the completely bastardized 3.x was for tablets like the original Galaxy Tabs and Xoom.

While I still believe Google will discuss 5.0 at I/O next month, I don't think they will release any code or make a promise of a specific release date. More like KLP will be released "in the fall" of 2013 (likely around the time Apple releases the iPhone 5s in order to steal some thunder from Apples announcement.)

Yep. Agreed. I think they are going to go all out with the motorola X and KLP at around same time as the iPhone 5S launch.

AutoUnion39
Apr 27, 2013, 04:16 PM
Well, Apple has been pushing out incremental iOS updates forever and no one seems to complaining, so I really don't care if Google does this, as long as KLP is around the corner.

Explicitic
Apr 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
I won't be disappointed if they don't release it at I/O, I will be disappointed if they don't release something this year.

Honestly, I would much rather them release 4.3 than 5.0 if the updates are going to be incremental. In 5.0, I expect a whole UI refresh.

----------

Thiiiis. They might do what they did with Ice Cream Sandwich. They had a launch event for Galaxy Nexus sometime in the fall where they showed off Ice Cream Sandwich for the first time as well.

Michael Goff
Apr 27, 2013, 04:24 PM
I won't be disappointed if they don't release it at I/O, I will be disappointed if they don't release something this year.

Honestly, I would much rather them release 4.3 than 5.0 if the updates are going to be incremental. In 5.0, I expect a whole UI refresh.

----------

They might do what they did with Ice Cream Sandwich. They had a launch event for Galaxy Nexus sometime in the fall where they showed off Ice Cream Sandwich for the first time as well.

Wait, what?

A whole UI change? What's wrong with the UI we currently have?

Explicitic
Apr 27, 2013, 04:29 PM
Wait, what?

A whole UI change? What's wrong with the UI we currently have?

There's really nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to see a new UI. We've had this UI for 2 years now. :)

Android, with the exception of 1.6 -> 2.0, has received a UI refresh every major release. The UI changed in 2.3 Gingerbread, 3.0 Honeycomb, then 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. I expect Google to continue doing this, unless they are trying to do what Apple does.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 04:32 PM
There's really nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to see a new UI. We've had this UI for 2 years now. :)

Android, with the exception of 1.6 -> 2.0, has received a UI refresh every major release. The UI changed in 2.3 Gingerbread, 3.0 Honeycomb, then 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. I expect Google to continue doing this, unless they are trying to do what Apple does.

They couldn't do "what Apple does" if they tried. If you want to talk about lack of UI refreshes, Apple is king of the hill. ;)

strausd
Apr 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
4.3, new Nexus 7, Motorola X Phone.

Late fall, Android 5.0 with Nexus 5.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2013, 04:51 PM

Really interested in seeing what the new Nex 7 brings...

blackhand1001
Apr 27, 2013, 04:54 PM
They couldn't do "what Apple does" if they tried. If you want to talk about lack of UI refreshes, Apple is king of the hill. ;)

I wouldn't really consider 3.0 to 4.0 a complete refresh. 4.0 just brought the changes in honeycomb to the phones.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 04:56 PM

All reports suggest the Motorola X has been delayed till Q3/4 as google were not happy with it.

tjl3
Apr 27, 2013, 05:09 PM
Not to make too big a deal out of it, but have you guys seen the statistics on Android versions? Less than 2% on 4.2. JB not even the 2nd most used Android version.

I think Google needs to make it a point to port their latest OS to a larger audience. They have done such great work and put in such amazing features since GB, yet roughly half of their user base doesn't get said upgrades.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 27, 2013, 07:51 PM
Not to make too big a deal out of it, but have you guys seen the statistics on Android versions? Less than 2% on 4.2. JB not even the 2nd most used Android version.

I think Google needs to make it a point to port their latest OS to a larger audience. They have done such great work and put in such amazing features since GB, yet roughly half of their user base doesn't get said upgrades.

Most Android phones are not high end phones though. I don't think carriers are going to waste time branding updates for plenty of phones that aren't meant to do much(loosely speaking), compared to top of the line phones.

TacticalDesire
Apr 27, 2013, 08:19 PM
Google doesn't and can't control who gets the updates. That's up to the phones specs, carrier and manufacturer. All three and especially the latter two are what determines when, or if a device will get an update. The core apps are updated separately anyway.

Honestly though, does google really care what version of android a phone is running as long as it's in their ecosystem? Either way, they're generating cash.

Assault
Apr 27, 2013, 08:29 PM

Here are the stats as of April 2nd. And while 4.2.x is only available on a few select phones, that number will increase quite a bit in the next 60 days, with the S4.

http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/2013/4/177011-androiddistributionapril.jpg

torana355
Apr 27, 2013, 08:32 PM
I don't mind a delay on KLP, i prefer Google get it right then rush it out.

tjl3
Apr 27, 2013, 08:52 PM
Here are the stats as of April 2nd. And while 4.2.x is only available on a few select phones, that number will increase quite a bit in the next 60 days, with the S4.

Image (http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/2013/4/177011-androiddistributionapril.jpg)

My point was only that Google has a problem, whether minor, small, big, doesn't matter. Enough resources are devoted to Android such that having only 2% of your user base actually using the latest and greatest, most powerful mobile OS is kind of deflating.

You have to consider too that some of those getting 4.2 are also coming from a 4.2 phone. Look deeper at why so many devices are on GB (not ICS), and see how many are because they are on lower end devices. Then thinking further, how many of those users are going to actually move up in the price scale to aim for a GS4.

This isn't a knock on Android or Google, b/c again I think it is the most powerful mobile OS. There's so much that they've done since 2.0 that isn't getting the exposure it deserves.

spinedoc77
Apr 27, 2013, 08:54 PM
I wonder if ios7 will be that much stronger, although really its playing catch up and its so far behind android in many aspects. The incredibly low adoption rate of new android versions would also affect this.

blackhand1001
Apr 27, 2013, 08:55 PM

Image (http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/2013/4/177011-androiddistributionapril.jpg)

There's really no benefit of 4.2 over 4.1 anyway. I actually have my galaxy nexus running. 4.1.2 cm10 stable as I prefer it.

fredaroony
Apr 27, 2013, 08:58 PM
There's really no benefit of 4.2 over 4.1 anyway. I actually have my galaxy nexus running. 4.1.2 cm10 stable as I prefer it.

Lockscreen widgets in 4.2 is quite an advantage.

blackhand1001
Apr 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Lockscreen widgets in 4.2 is quite an advantage.

Its current implementation leaves a lot to be desired to be honest.

Dontazemebro
Apr 27, 2013, 09:45 PM
Its current implementation leaves a lot to be desired to be honest.

Agreed, I'm definitely not a fan of the 4.2 lockscreen

Assault
Apr 27, 2013, 10:56 PM
My point was only that Google has a problem, whether minor, small, big, doesn't matter. Enough resources are devoted to Android such that having only 2% of your user base actually using the latest and greatest, most powerful mobile OS is kind of deflating.

You have to consider too that some of those getting 4.2 are also coming from a 4.2 phone. Look deeper at why so many devices are on GB (not ICS), and see how many are because they are on lower end devices. Then thinking further, how many of those users are going to actually move up in the price scale to aim for a GS4.

This isn't a knock on Android or Google, b/c again I think it is the most powerful mobile OS. There's so much that they've done since 2.0 that isn't getting the exposure it deserves.

I understand where you are coming from, I just think the average consumer just doesn't know any better or just doesn't care. Gingerbread is perfectly fine for most people running low to mid tier phones and the stats will only change once people eventually upgrade to newer phones running higher specs capable of handling the newer OS's.

The iGentleman
Apr 27, 2013, 11:08 PM

There is no delay, as KLP was never given a release date. Furthermore, 4.3 has been being tested for a while now, so it has been in existence for some time now.

johnjefferson
Apr 27, 2013, 11:16 PM
There is no delay, as KLP was never given a release date. Furthermore, 4.3 has been being tested for a while now, so it has been in existence for some time now.

Too bad it takes manufacturers and carriers like 6 months or longer after its released for them to update your new phone. All because they need to make sure their bloatware works for it. I much prefer Apple's method where everyone gets it the same day, as it should be.

Explicitic
Apr 27, 2013, 11:20 PM

Goes to show just how amazing Gingerbread was :D
I loved it, at least.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 27, 2013, 11:20 PM
Maybe Google I/O? It's likely that a new Nexus device(s) will be announced. Maybe a new OS to go along with new device(s)? Android 4.3 has been in testing stage for quite some time.

Explicitic
Apr 27, 2013, 11:25 PM
Maybe Google I/O? It's likely that a new Nexus device(s) will be announced. Maybe a new OS to go along with new device(s)? Android 4.3 has been in testing stage for quite some time.

I think Motorola's rumored X phone is going to be the next Nexus device. As someone previously stated, the X phone seems to be delayed until the Q3/4 which would make sense if they wanted to do an ICS-style KLP release. They could host an event for the X phone while also showing off KLP.

Nexus X doesn't sound half bad and would keep their two-syllable device name trend (broken with the Galaxy Nexus, of course...).

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 27, 2013, 11:33 PM
I think Motorola's rumored X phone is going to be the next Nexus device. As someone previously stated, the X phone seems to be delayed until the Q3/4 which would make sense if they wanted to do an ICS-style KLP release. They could host an event for the X phone while also showing off KLP.

Nexus X doesn't sound half bad and would keep their two-syllable device name trend (broken with the Galaxy Nexus, of course...).

Then maybe a new tablet or two since the Nexus 7 is almost a year old? Maybe KLP will focus more on tablets and be released at Google I/O. Smartphones are kind of a saturated market while the tablet market still has plenty of room for growth.

The iGentleman
Apr 27, 2013, 11:59 PM

Babel (which is not what it will be called) is separate from the next version of Android.

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 01:54 AM
Babel (which is not what it will be called) is separate from the next version of Android.

Unless you are working at Google and on the project, everything is a guess. However, the leaked code that has been found has referenced Babel. Could be a code name for the project, I suppose, but since I dont work at Google, I am just guessing.

If common sense were to be used, I would put everything messenging and mms related under Google Talk.

----------

Too bad it takes manufacturers and carriers like 6 months or longer after its released for them to update your new phone. All because they need to make sure their bloatware works for it. I much prefer Apple's method where everyone gets it the same day, as it should be.

Everyone would prefer that method. Even if the manufacturers needed a month to get the code working with their hardware, that wouldnt be bad, but the carriers… uuuggghhh. No one wants their crapware pre-installed anyway. There is no reason they should be involved in the software cycle at all.

The iGentleman
Apr 28, 2013, 02:16 AM
Unless you are working at Google and on the project, everything is a guess. However, the leaked code that has been found has referenced Babel. Could be a code name for the project, I suppose, but since I dont work at Google, I am just guessing.
I am aware of what the leaks say and show, however my previous statement wasn't a guess.

If common sense were to be used, I would put everything messenging and mms related under Google Talk.[COLOR="#808080"]

I see your logic here, but it's going to go in a different direction entirely.

strausd
Apr 28, 2013, 02:28 AM

Hahaha this comment is so funny. 4.2 will increase in the next 60 days? Essentially 4.2 will increase once it becomes the old version of Android ;)

Versions of Jelly Bean have barely reached 25% and it has been out for almost a year now! :eek:

4.2 has been out almost 6 months and only 2%!

Let's be real, I love my Nexus 4. But those OS upgrade statistic are absolutely pathetic.

Although to be fair, I am sure the statistics for Nexus devices are extremely different :)

spinedoc77
Apr 28, 2013, 06:11 AM
I understand where you are coming from, I just think the average consumer just doesn't know any better or just doesn't care. Gingerbread is perfectly fine for most people running low to mid tier phones and the stats will only change once people eventually upgrade to newer phones running higher specs capable of handling the newer OS's.

I don't know... doesn't Apple have a huge conversion rate when they release a new OS version? Maybe its the notification on the phone, but something motivates most ios users to upgrade whenever apple releases an upgrade. They seem to market this better as well.

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 06:16 AM
Although to be fair, I am sure the statistics for Nexus devices are extremely different :)

Of course, I'd guess ~75% of Nexus devices are running a version of Jelly Bean.

Explicitic
Apr 28, 2013, 06:32 AM
I don't know... doesn't Apple have a huge conversion rate when they release a new OS version? Maybe its the notification on the phone, but something motivates most ios users to upgrade whenever apple releases an upgrade. They seem to market this better as well.

Every iOS user updates to the latest version because they are able to. Apple controls and makes all their devices, which is very few, so they are able to push updates out to them all at once.

It's a little more difficult with Android. Google doesn't control most Android devices and isn't able to simply push out updates like Apple does. First off, there are probably HUNDREDS of Android device manufacturers and they are the ones who control their device's software updates. That, and the carrier if it's not purchased factory unlocked. Carriers probably use up half the time just to add all their bloatware and other crap. Then, finally it is pushed out. Of course, Android device updates take months for the manufacturer to get out, if they do it at all.

That is why we have the developer community. Usually, the newest version of Android is ported to most devices long before the manufacturers do it, if even. For most regular consumers, software updates on Android won't matter much and they probably don't care anyways...

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 09:49 AM
Hahaha this comment is so funny. 4.2 will increase in the next 60 days? Essentially 4.2 will increase once it becomes the old version of Android ;)

Versions of Jelly Bean have barely reached 25% and it has been out for almost a year now! :eek:

4.2 has been out almost 6 months and only 2%!

Let's be real, I love my Nexus 4. But those OS upgrade statistic are absolutely pathetic.

Not sure why it matters to you or why it is funny? I have been running 4.2.2 for a while now, because I have a developer community and the option to root.

Additionally, they lump every Android phone into this pie chart statistic, when what should be viewed (for comparison to Apple) are flagship phones. How many S3's, HTC Ones, Note 2's, etc are running Gingerbread, ICS and Jelly Bean? Look at those stats if you actually want to compare to Apple. You will see a very similar pie chart as Apples when only the high end Android and Google phones are broken down. Instead every single one of those billion handsets running Android are added.
Or Maybe we should include every iPhone, iPad, iPod ever made into the Apple pie chart? All of a sudden, things wont look so pretty. All those 3G's and 3GS's and ipad2's/ipods would make your pie chart look a lot more like Androids. But only the iphone 4 and above are included. I mean, iOS 6 has been out for over 6 months and all those iphones aren't on it? Sad, right?

Every iOS user updates to the latest version because they are able to. Apple controls and makes all their devices, which is very few, so they are able to push updates out to them all at once.

That is why we have the developer community. Usually, the newest version of Android is ported to most devices long before the manufacturers do it, if even. For most regular consumers, software updates on Android won't matter much and they probably don't care anyways...

Agreed. iOS users are also more apt to update because they can only get new software features when Apple decides it is time to trickle out a tiny bit to their masses.
iOS is years behind Android, so we take simple things like attaching multiple attachments to an email for granted. If Apple allowed this to happen, every iOS user would update immediately. There is little need for most users on Android, because the phone can already do everything a PC can do.

And lastly, Google doesnt have to put out a yearly update to add functionality to Android. Google Apps are updates all the time, allowing individuals to download small files and get updates quickly, unlike with Apple.

JaySoul
Apr 28, 2013, 10:20 AM
Google doesn't and can't control who gets the updates. That's up to the phones specs, carrier and manufacturer. All three and especially the latter two are what determines when, or if a device will get an update. The core apps are updated separately anyway.

Honestly though, does google really care what version of android a phone is running as long as it's in their ecosystem? Either way, they're generating cash.

Not sure.

But I would have thought they'd prefer users to be on newer versions, simply because the user can do more, utilise more cash-generating functions and ultimately make Google look good (plus make more money through location services - e.g. Google Now etc).

daveathall
Apr 28, 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm not bothered if my Android phone stops getting updates after 2 years, my contract expires then so I will just get a newer phone and the cycle of 2 yearly updates just continues, isn't that what happens for most people?

johnjefferson
Apr 28, 2013, 10:35 AM
iOS is years behind Android, so we take simple things like attaching multiple attachments to an email for granted.

This was true maybe a year ago, before iOS 6. Apple has pretty much caught up, especially with a jailbreak. Your example is flawed too. I just attached 5 pictures in an email I just sent a friend from my iPhone.

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
This was true maybe a year ago, before iOS 6. Apple has pretty much caught up, especially with a jailbreak. Your example is flawed too. I just attached 5 pictures in an email I just sent a friend from my iPhone.

Attach a pdf, a picture, a video, a ppt and a doc to the same email. This is what I was referring to. Because iOS lacks access to the file system, you are dependent upon individual apps to upload that apps attachment. i.e. Photo Gallery is needed to attach photos to your email. And then what happens when you wish to attach a file format iOS doesnt recognize? Guess you are just screwed, huh?

And even with a jailbreak the access provided to the file system is crap and requires a lot of use just to remember where files get saved, since you have zero control over that. Android is just like a PC or Mac when it comes to using it.

johnjefferson
Apr 28, 2013, 11:01 AM
Attach a pdf, a picture, a video, a ppt and a doc to the same email. This is what I was referring to.

Who does that? Especially from a phone? Maybe like 1% of phone users LOL

Michael Goff
Apr 28, 2013, 12:45 PM

If there's nothing wrong with it... why change it? Change for the sake of change is BAD.

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 12:47 PM

Not the point. Point is, just like a pc or Mac, you can attach any sort of file to an email with Android. You aren't restricted. Would you buy a Macbook that had the same limitations as an iphone? Doubtful.

johnjefferson
Apr 28, 2013, 12:53 PM
Not the point. Point is, just like a pc or Mac, you can attach any sort of file to an email with Android. You aren't restricted. Would you buy a Macbook that had the same limitations as an iphone? Doubtful.

And you can't run iTunes on Android, I can't watch movies download from my Apple TV on an Android, i cant use imessage on an Android, I can't connect an Android phone to my car and have all my music come up on my head unit.....seems pretty restrictive to me. All depends on what you do with your phone. The things I listed above, most people do every day. Your ridiculous example of attaching every file known to man in one email is a giant stretch no one will ever do..

paulsalter
Apr 28, 2013, 12:56 PM
And you can't run iTunes on Android, I can't watch movies download from my Apple TV on an Android, i cant use imessage on an Android, I can't connect an Android phone to my car and have all my music come up on my head unit.....seems pretty restrictive to me.

I agree, very restrictive

If Apple opened up their apps to other platforms I would still be using them

TacticalDesire
Apr 28, 2013, 01:59 PM
And you can't run iTunes on Android, I can't watch movies download from my Apple TV on an Android, i cant use imessage on an Android, I can't connect an Android phone to my car and have all my music come up on my head unit.....seems pretty restrictive to me. All depends on what you do with your phone. The things I listed above, most people do every day. Your ridiculous example of attaching every file known to man in one email is a giant stretch no one will ever do..

So because an Android phone doesn't work in a proprietary, walled ecosystem, that's a restriction imposed by android and not apple? Not sure if I follow your logic. Those are apples restrictions, not Googles. Same thing with your head unit. That's the manufacturers limitations. Not Androids.

Flawed logic is flawed.

Explicitic
Apr 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
If there's nothing wrong with it... why change it? Change for the sake of change is BAD.

Because after two years and with a new version (4-5), I expect something new. Most Android fans feel the same way. It's keeps people interested.

Michael Goff
Apr 28, 2013, 02:14 PM
Because after two years and with a new version (4-5), I expect something new. Most Android fans feel the same way. It's keeps people interested.

:|

So you'd rather them bring out a new, likely buggy, UI just because you get bored of things actually working?

blackhand1001
Apr 28, 2013, 02:33 PM

So you'd rather them bring out a new, likely buggy, UI just because you get bored of things actually working?
Android 4 ice cream sandwich proved that you can literally overhaul the entire interface and have it as stable as the previous version if not more stable.

I do hope that Google keeps the holo UI as its pretty much perfect. Just needs a few tweaks. Hopefully they revert the 4.2 camera app. The 4.1.2 version was much better

Explicitic
Apr 28, 2013, 02:40 PM

I don't understand. What makes you think a new UI would be buggy?

strausd
Apr 28, 2013, 02:42 PM
Not sure why it matters to you or why it is funny? I have been running 4.2.2 for a while now, because I have a developer community and the option to root.

Additionally, they lump every Android phone into this pie chart statistic, when what should be viewed (for comparison to Apple) are flagship phones. How many S3's, HTC Ones, Note 2's, etc are running Gingerbread, ICS and Jelly Bean? Look at those stats if you actually want to compare to Apple. You will see a very similar pie chart as Apples when only the high end Android and Google phones are broken down. Instead every single one of those billion handsets running Android are added.
Or Maybe we should include every iPhone, iPad, iPod ever made into the Apple pie chart? All of a sudden, things wont look so pretty. All those 3G's and 3GS's and ipad2's/ipods would make your pie chart look a lot more like Androids. But only the iphone 4 and above are included. I mean, iOS 6 has been out for over 6 months and all those iphones aren't on it? Sad, right?

Why would you only compare flagship phones? That sounds dumb.

Not sure why you got all defensive and upset. Sounds like for whatever reason you assumed I was anti-Android. You know what happens when you assume... :D

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 02:42 PM

Again, you fail on subjects you know nothing about. Android phones and tablets can access and use data stored in iTunes.

But I d2cided to expand my home NAS to be OS agnostic, so any device can use my library. I use iFlicks to install all the proper metadata and convert my TV shows and Movies for my NAS, making every file accessible to any device can easily access my library via my network.

And just because your cars head unit is limited, doesnt mean everyone's is. I for example have a head unit that can use any phone with bt capability. But, that is the difference between cars, not some imaginary restriction. Additionally, you have an option to upgrade your head unit to something more modern.

And I will never understand why you believe iMessage is some magical Apple invention, that makes texting a euphoric experience. It is a stolen product from Blackberry and not even as good as BBM. I would be embarrased to have it on Android. But like iMaps and Notification Center, it's just another cheap Apple knock-off.

Why would you only compare flagship phones? That sounds dumb.

Not sure why you got all defensive and upset. Sounds like for whatever reason you assumed I was anti-Android. You know what happens when you assume... :D

Why would you assume I was defensive, or upset, or calling you anti-android or assaulting you, in my post? I suggest you reread my post. There is nothing negative said about you or anyone. I simply compared stats. Unless, you meant to quote someone else?

Michael Goff
Apr 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Android 4 ice cream sandwich proved that you can literally overhaul the entire interface and have it as stable as the previous version if not more stable.

I do hope that Google keeps the holo UI as its pretty much perfect. Just needs a few tweaks. Hopefully they revert the 4.2 camera app. The 4.1.2 version was much better

Except that Android 4 had about a year to become stable as it was essentially a modified Honeycomb. This wouldn't have such benefits.

Remember Honeycomb, when they brought forth big sweeping UI changes? It was buggy.

Remember that Firefox is trying out a new UI? It's buggy.

New UI generally means they haven't had years and years to test it out. That means it will have bugs.

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 03:04 PM

Because all software coming out of Apple these days is buggy. iOS6 has been particularly troublesome for both enterprise and consumers.

daneoni
Apr 28, 2013, 03:10 PM
Because all software coming out of Apple these days is buggy. iOS6 has been particularly troublesome for both enterprise and consumers.

Source? personal anecdotes on a forum doesn't count either.

Michael Goff
Apr 28, 2013, 03:40 PM

Huh?

What does an Android UI have to do with Apple?

:confused:

Explicitic
Apr 28, 2013, 03:57 PM
Except that Android 4 had about a year to become stable as it was essentially a modified Honeycomb. This wouldn't have such benefits.

Remember Honeycomb, when they brought forth big sweeping UI changes? It was buggy.

New UI generally means they haven't had years and years to test it out. That means it will have bugs.
Are you saying they should simply keep the Holo theme? If Google does indeed release another iteration of Jelly Bean, it's likely that they're doing so to buy extra time to refine 5.0 Key Lime Pie.

I don't expect them to release a new UI now. I expect it in KLP, not in 4.3 or any other 4.x release they have planned. It wouldn't make sense to release a completely new version of Android and keep the same interface. It may works for operating systems like Windows Phone and iOS but for Android, it just doesn't.

Michael Goff
Apr 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
Are you saying they should simply keep the Holo theme? If Google does indeed release another iteration of Jelly Bean, it's likely that they're doing so to buy extra time to refine 5.0 Key Lime Pie.

I don't expect them to release a new UI now. I expect it in KLP, not in 4.3 or any other 4.x release they have planned. It wouldn't make sense to release a completely new version of Android and keep the same interface. It may works for operating systems like Windows Phone and iOS but for Android, it just doesn't.

I'm saying I'd rather want them to refine the Holo UI than throw something new for the sake of throwing something new. There are changes that can be made without everything being new.

Besides, there's only so much you can DO with an interface.

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
Source? personal anecdotes on a forum doesn't count either.

Here's a nice snapshot of a simple Google search.

adder7712
Apr 29, 2013, 02:08 AM
I remembered old rumours that Android 2.4 is slated to be ICS.

cynics
Apr 29, 2013, 06:52 AM

I didn't find Honeycomb to be buggy at all. There were some issues adjusting to a tablet format but HC was basically the test bed for Ice cream sandwich. I only ever used Honeycomb in its vanilla form on a Motorola Xoom, I don't know if skinned versions were buggy or not.

mattopotamus
Apr 29, 2013, 07:18 AM
yeah, totally disappointed:mad:. had been reading key lime pie rumored features for about an year.

I agree it is disappointing, but small differences could make a big difference. Even 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 was big for people on the nexus in terms of battery life.

Michael Goff
Apr 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
I didn't find Honeycomb to be buggy at all. There were some issues adjusting to a tablet format but HC was basically the test bed for Ice cream sandwich. I only ever used Honeycomb in its vanilla form on a Motorola Xoom, I don't know if skinned versions were buggy or not.

At what point did you get the Xoom? Because 3.1 and 3.2 did a lot to fix what started off as meh in 3.0.

yeah, totally disappointed:mad:. had been reading key lime pie rumored features for about an year.

I know!

4.3 makes it seem like... well, nothing important. :|

kenypowa
Apr 29, 2013, 10:38 AM
I know!

Seriously? You haven't even heard of any new features and you are disappointed already. Good grief.

Michael Goff
Apr 29, 2013, 10:53 AM
Seriously? You haven't even heard of any new features and you are disappointed already. Good grief.

Is it my fault that Google is more tight-lipped than Apple when it comes to Android? If they gave some clues, maybe I wouldn't be disappointed. But so far? NOTHING.

Tig Bitties
Apr 29, 2013, 10:56 AM
I guess the only thing I am looking forward to in 4.3, is this supposed "Google Babel" all in one Messaging service, sort of like iMessage or BB Messenger. Not sure what else 4.3 will add ?

The big features, and major revamp of the Android OS will be in 5.0 Key Lime Pie, now rumored to be delayed until Fall, and launching on the brand new Nexus-Five phone in October or so.

cynics
Apr 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
At what point did you get the Xoom? Because 3.1 and 3.2 did a lot to fix what started off as meh in 3.0.

I know!

Release day. I'm actually on it right now. :)

Michael Goff
Apr 29, 2013, 11:25 AM
Release day. I'm actually on it right now. :)

Then you got lucky, I had quite a few times when the UI would just lag. I had the settings menu crash a couple of times.

cynics
Apr 29, 2013, 11:50 AM
Then you got lucky, I had quite a few times when the UI would just lag. I had the settings menu crash a couple of times.

I actually found Honeycomb app performance more stable then Ice Cream Sandwich. I never really had an issue with the OS itself crashing.

Check this out....

Michael Goff
Apr 29, 2013, 11:51 AM
I actually found Honeycomb app performance more stable then Ice Cream Sandwich. I never really had an issue with the OS itself crashing.

Check this out....

No words can describe how much I envy you right now. >>;

kenypowa
Apr 29, 2013, 12:22 PM
Is it my fault that Google is more tight-lipped than Apple when it comes to Android? If they gave some clues, maybe I wouldn't be disappointed. But so far? NOTHING.

oh boy. Because you don't know anything, you are disappointed. I see your logic. :eek:

Michael Goff
Apr 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
oh boy. Because you don't know anything, you are disappointed. I see your logic. :eek:

No, because I have no info I can only go by previous point releases. Point releases have never been "knock your socks off" in terms of what they provide.

Or I can assume they're changing it up based on not a single piece of information.

SlCKB0Y
May 1, 2013, 04:44 AM
I much prefer Apple's method where everyone gets it the same day, as it should be.

So do what I do and only buy GED devices like Nexus. Pretty simple stuff!

----------

Sounds like for whatever reason you assumed I was anti-Android.

Its amazing how many people make this terrible mistake!

Let me guess, the problem is not due to a personal lack of self awareness of the implications of what your write here and how you come across, the problem is everyone else?

nfl46
May 1, 2013, 04:54 AM
Heck, Google's x.x releases are nearly as big as Apple's major releases. Lol. Apple could take some pointers on how to make x.x release because 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 could have been 6.0.x releases.

animalx
May 2, 2013, 09:36 AM
I guess the only thing I am looking forward to in 4.3, is this supposed "Google Babel" all in one Messaging service, sort of like iMessage or BB Messenger. Not sure what else 4.3 will add ?

The big features, and major revamp of the Android OS will be in 5.0 Key Lime Pie, now rumored to be delayed until Fall, and launching on the brand new Nexus-Five phone in October or so.

Same thing I'm looking forward to. From the sound of it, that will be the only new feature in 4.3 besides tune ups and things like that.

cynics
May 2, 2013, 12:21 PM
So is it confirmed 4.3 will still be Jelly Bean and not Key Lime Pie? I kind of skimmed. :)

mattopotamus
May 2, 2013, 01:49 PM
So is it confirmed 4.3 will still be Jelly Bean and not Key Lime Pie? I kind of skimmed. :)

"those testing pre-release builds of 4.3 thus far have judged it to be a sufficient enough advancement that they mistakenly believed it was the 5.0 Key Lime Pie update. That gives Android fans hope of a major leap forward when Google I/O rolls around in the middle of May and Google shows off its new software."

Switchback666
May 2, 2013, 04:22 PM
Really interested in seeing what the new Nex 7 brings...

I suspect same housing with more ppi and bigger storage, small bump in ram and processor is a given.