PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 owc hard drive compatibility

rabidz7
Apr 27, 2013, 04:25 PM
Will this SATA II drive work in my SATA I iMac G5?
I have already tried an ocz ssd, a 500 GB SATA II, and a 1 TB SATA III, none worked.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/SSD/Mercury_Electra_3G_Solid_State

Lil Chillbil
Apr 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
I thought that you had a powermac g5, come to think of it you most likely just confused the title

but I thought that all sata II drives were backwards compatable with all sata I hardware

Intell
Apr 27, 2013, 04:53 PM
I thought that you had a powermac g5, come to think of it you most likely just confused the title

but I thought that all sata II drives were backwards compatible with all sata I hardware

Don't you remember, this is the iMac G5 he wanted to make into Intell one by swapping out the logicboard. Some SATA II drives don't down grade themselves to SATA I properly. WD drives are like this. I have a WD Green drive in my G5 that would refuse to work unless I set its jumpers to work in SATA I mode.

rabidz7
Apr 27, 2013, 05:46 PM
Don't you remember, this is the iMac G5 he wanted to make into Intell one by swapping out the logicboard. Some SATA II drives don't down grade themselves to SATA I properly. WD drives are like this. I have a WD Green drive in my G5 that would refuse to work unless I set its jumpers to work in SATA I mode.

I never said I wanted to make the iMac into an intell one.???

----------

I have an iMac and a PowerMac G5 and tons of other computers
Do not just insult me because of my past. I said nothing offensive to you.

Intell
Apr 27, 2013, 05:54 PM

That wasn't you? Oh well, it was something you'd query about at the least.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 27, 2013, 09:06 PM

----------

I have an iMac and a PowerMac G5 and tons of other computers
Do not just insult me because of my past. I said nothing offensive to you.

fine, I will forbo your past and start fresh

rabidz7
Apr 28, 2013, 09:51 AM
'keeks please help.

----------

Would you recommend just getting a hard drive that is known to work?