PDA

View Full Version : Rev. E 17" PowerBook mini review

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 07:55 PM
I will try to make this short and sweet.

I received my BTO 17" PowerBook earlier today. It is a BTO because I opted for the 100gb 7200rpm hard drive. I bought it 20 minutes after the Apple Store came back online last Wednesday, shortly after the new PowerBooks were announced. Needless to say, I have been tracking the order like a pair of cats eyes on a mouse.

Upon receiving my PowerBook, I took the birth pictures. Yeah, I know, a bit obssessive, but c'mon, this thing did cost an arm and a leg! ;) After it was done posing for me, I plugged her in to the power adapter and hit the magic button. *doooooooooooooooong*. Pure bliss. The white screen comes up with the grey apple logo. I start searching for dead pixels. Ouch, found one. I look for more. Ok, just one dead pixel. No big deal. Really.

After going thru the setup wizard, I reach my desktop which I will call home. Home has suddenly grown smaller compared to the last home I lived in which was a Rev. C 15" PowerBook. Wow, this is AMAZING! I quickly jump on the internet and open up Safari. Man, did I say this is AMAZING??? Well, it is! I really do feel like I am working on a 20" Apple Cinema Display. This thing puts my 17" Samsung LCD to shame. And I never thought I would say that.

The performance of this thing is unbelievable. I check the System Profiler and much to my surprise, Apple decided to hook me up with the Seagate Momentus 7200rpm hard drive. Nice! I was hoping I would get the Seagate instead of the Hitachi. Wish granted. This thing is super quiet...it's almost...too quiet...:cool:

One problem I did have though, which has now resolved itself, was the screen would flicker every so often. It might do it every minute or it might do it every 20 minutes. Totally random. It seemed to have something to do with the video card. I ended up rebooting the PowerBook, ran the quick hardware test from the cd, saw that everything had passed, and rebooted back to my home. No flickers since. Reboots usually fix things, right? hehe

Ok, I have to keep this is as a mini review so I will stop here. However, I will end with this statement:

If you have any doubts with buying a 17" PowerBook, do not fool yourself. This machine is a marvel. It really is. The build quality is exceptional. The 17" is screen is to die for. It blows the 15" out of the water. It's a little bit bigger than the 15", yes, but it is all worth it. Buy it now!

*** EDIT *** PowerBook birth pictures can be found here (http://www.tekmoe.com/pbbirth/pbbirth.html)

****** EDIT ******

The video issue has seemed to return. I am using dialup right now, transferring mp3s from my iPod to my PowerBook thru the app Senuti. It seems like the video will jump or glitch about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen. Very random. It does for maybe a milisecond. Very fast. It was not doing it last night, but then, I was not using dialup either. Anyone else with a 17" tried using dialup and expierincing this problem?

ctsport1234
Oct 26, 2005, 07:58 PM
Awsome! My next computer will be a 17'' Intel PB :D

Billicus
Oct 26, 2005, 08:08 PM
I have a Rev B 17" PowerBook, I'd be interested to see some pictures of the new version with the HD screen on/off and a couple of screen shots if you could post them, please?

Thanks,

Billicus :)

nospleen
Oct 26, 2005, 08:10 PM
Okay you tease us saying you have pics and then do not post em? Tease!!:D

Chef Medeski
Oct 26, 2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I would have defintely bought it if it hadn't cost three times as much as my puny 12". I personally would rather go for 2 PBs to get a 24" than one which costs more and has a measily 17" :D

zap2
Oct 26, 2005, 08:23 PM
Rev E !!! wow ths PB rev has been out for a long time

intel here we come!

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 08:33 PM
one thing i have noticed is when my display goes to sleep, the light on the front of the powerbook lights up. it does not pulsate. when i wake the display, the light goes off. if i put the powerbook to sleep, the light pulsates like normal. is this a new feature that apple implemented so we would know our powerbooks are turned on and only the display is asleep?

anyone else seeing this?

nospleen
Oct 26, 2005, 08:34 PM
No one answer until we see these alleged pics! ;)

muffinman
Oct 26, 2005, 08:39 PM
congrats on your new powerbook. post the pics!

Chrispy
Oct 26, 2005, 08:40 PM
Just a possible solution to your screen flicker... you may want to turn off automatic screen brightness adjustment in the system preferences under displays. I had that on a 15" powerbook I had for awhile and it drove me nuts... took me a bit to figure out that was the culprit. Once I turned it off I never had the problem again :) Congrats on the new system!

PICS PLEASE! ;)

Chrispy
Oct 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
one thing i have noticed is when my display goes to sleep, the light on the front of the powerbook lights up. it does not pulsate.

I, too, have seen this and it may be a new feature.

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
congrats on the pb dude!! we wanna see pix!!!

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 08:45 PM
No one answer until we see these alleged pics! ;)

ok ok! check the end of the review up above. link is provided.

Billicus
Oct 26, 2005, 09:04 PM
ok ok! check the end of the review up above. link is provided.

Thx for those, could you maybe post a couple of screenshots and pictures of the computer booted up? I can't get a good feel for the difference in resolution with just the boot up apple. ^^

Z6128
Oct 26, 2005, 09:06 PM
Congrats on your new PowerBook. i'm deciding between the 15in or 17in one right now :D is the 17in at least somewhat portable? hows the battery life on it too?

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 09:21 PM
Congrats on your new PowerBook. i'm deciding between the 15in or 17in one right now :D is the 17in at least somewhat portable? hows the battery life on it too?

dude it is definitely portable, IMHO. my gf has a 12" pb, i had a 15" pb, and now i have this 17" pb. comparing this 17" to the 12" and 15", it IS portable. !!! believe me !!!

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 09:24 PM
Thx for those, could you maybe post a couple of screenshots and pictures of the computer booted up? I can't get a good feel for the difference in resolution with just the boot up apple. ^^

i will do this when i get home.

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 09:36 PM
tekmoe, im only gonna say this once so listen up! YOU ARE A LUCKY BASTAGE. that is all...

RHMMMM
Oct 26, 2005, 09:42 PM
I also have the new 17" Rev. E PowerBook and have seen the screen flicker issue. Let me make sure we're talking about the right thing:

On mine, it happens randomly also, I'm not sure I'd describe it as a flicker but as a "screen jump" - it looks like the screen shifts for a split-split second down to the lower right. Is this what you're seeing?

My hypothesis: it's a function of the new power savings either in the G4 or it might have something to do with the new chipset and it's interface/bus to the Radeon 9700 Mobility. But, I think it has something to do with the speed clock shifts from power savings.

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 09:59 PM
I also have the new 17" Rev. E PowerBook and have seen the screen flicker issue. Let me make sure we're talking about the right thing:

On mine, it happens randomly also, I'm not sure I'd describe it as a flicker but as a "screen jump" - it looks like the screen shifts for a split-split second down to the lower right. Is this what you're seeing?

My hypothesis: it's a function of the new power savings either in the G4 or it might have something to do with the new chipset and it's interface/bus to the Radeon 9700 Mobility. But, I think it has something to do with the speed clock shifts from power savings.

that sounds right...but it has not displayed this issue since i rebooted the powerbook, ran the hardware test, and booted back up. i've been using it for close to 4 hours now. haven't seen it happen once.

Demon Hunter
Oct 26, 2005, 10:51 PM
That's kind of troubling... I want to upgrade...

17" PowerBooks are the best. :D

RHMMMM
Oct 26, 2005, 11:26 PM
that sounds right...but it has not displayed this issue since i rebooted the powerbook, ran the hardware test, and booted back up. i've been using it for close to 4 hours now. haven't seen it happen once.

Excellent, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it. It's not too annoying, but the first couple times I saw it, I was a little worried - got me thinking loose LCD connection, maybe?

I haven't seen mine do it at all today and I've been on it for a few hours too. Try running something really graphics intensive and then close it out - like a game. The last time I saw it happen a couple times was after I played WarCraft III at full 1680x1050 resolution for a couple hours, then quit the game. It did the screen jump/flicker right after I saw the Desktop

Sounds to me like something we'll just have to live with.

berkleeboy210
Oct 27, 2005, 12:02 AM
My New 15" Also has that same harddrive but it's the 80gb the model number is:

ST9808211A

nospleen
Oct 27, 2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the pics! But, now you are going to think I am a real pain. I would like to see the new screen, do you have any of those shots? By the way, I would call Apple in regards to the flicker.

Billicus
Oct 27, 2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the pics! But, now you are going to think I am a real pain. I would like to see the new screen, do you have any of those shots? By the way, I would call Apple in regards to the flicker.

I think he's already working on it, as per my request higher up. ;)

nospleen
Oct 27, 2005, 09:15 AM
I think he's already working on it, as per my request higher up. ;)

You sure are demanding Billicus!! :D

Billicus
Oct 27, 2005, 09:50 AM
You sure are demanding Billicus!! :D

Lol... Just interested, that's all. :p

datoby
Oct 27, 2005, 10:16 AM
can u download the video lan player for mac osx (videolan.org), please.
install it and click about vlc, do u hear with the new pbook any whining or chirping?

buttercup
Oct 27, 2005, 01:40 PM
I noticed this too on my new 15" and found it quote annoying. I did find one thing on apple's site saying they had changed the beahviour of the light during a reboot but doesn't explicitly mention anything about it being related to the display going to sleep.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302586

I didnt notice there was a difference in the flicker though, I am glad to hear there is one, I was concerned that I wouldnt be able to tell when it was actually in sleep.

one thing i have noticed is when my display goes to sleep, the light on the front of the powerbook lights up. it does not pulsate. when i wake the display, the light goes off. if i put the powerbook to sleep, the light pulsates like normal. is this a new feature that apple implemented so we would know our powerbooks are turned on and only the display is asleep?

anyone else seeing this?

Aaon
Oct 27, 2005, 02:23 PM
Is that a Thinkpad I see in the background of the photos? What kind is it, and how does the screen compare (size aside)?

matticus008
Oct 27, 2005, 02:33 PM
I'm glad they decided to turn on that LED when the display goes to sleep. It's really hard to tell if it's turned on, otherwise, just by glancing at it. I wonder if they'll implement that in 10.4.3. What is the build number of the OS on the new PowerBooks? I'd bet it's newer than what I'm running.

I'm glad it's not covered in LEDs, but something to indicate power state is, I think, important.

Demon Hunter
Oct 29, 2005, 12:22 AM
I'm glad they decided to turn on that LED when the display goes to sleep. It's really hard to tell if it's turned on, otherwise, just by glancing at it. I wonder if they'll implement that in 10.4.3. What is the build number of the OS on the new PowerBooks? I'd bet it's newer than what I'm running.

I'm glad it's not covered in LEDs, but something to indicate power state is, I think, important.

Yeah, they are running a special build of 10.4.2.

cinder
Oct 29, 2005, 02:15 AM
I got my 17" this morning, same configuration as the original poster

100gb 7200 momentus drive
standard everything else

I am not happy with the screen to say the least - the viewing angle on it is extremely poor. There is no good angle at which I can see the image without some sort of darkening somewhere.
Not to mention the very strange dark ghosting in the bottom corners

I'm very close to returning the whole thing.

there are already posts on Appleinsider and the Apple forums about this issue.
It's not isolated, and it seems to be a general quality issue with the 17" LCDs.

I'm pretty upset right now.

Demon Hunter
Oct 29, 2005, 03:05 AM

standard everything else

I am not happy with the screen to say the least - the viewing angle on it is extremely poor. There is no good angle at which I can see the image without some sort of darkening somewhere.

It's not isolated, and it seems to be a general quality issue with the 17" LCDs.

Damn. That really, really sucks. :(

How will you return it? Just raise a fuss?

BWhaler
Oct 29, 2005, 07:31 AM
I will try to make this short and sweet.
One problem I did have though, which has now resolved itself, was the screen would flicker every so often. It might do it every minute or it might do it every 20 minutes.
****** EDIT ******

The video issue has seemed to return.

I also have the video flicker issue.

I just starting using my new PowerBook (same configuration as you, except I have 1.5MB of memory.

Words cannot express how sad I will be if I need to return this beauty. But, I don't plan on setting it up until 10.4.3 comes out given how shoddy Tiger is right now, so I'd love to hear from Apple ASAP if this is a hardware and not a software issue.

Man, I hope this is just a software issue...

BWhaler
Oct 29, 2005, 07:39 AM
Just a possible solution to your screen flicker... you may want to turn off automatic screen brightness adjustment in the system preferences under displays. I had that on a 15" powerbook I had for awhile and it drove me nuts... took me a bit to figure out that was the culprit. Once I turned it off I never had the problem again :) Congrats on the new system!

PICS PLEASE! ;)

Thanks for the tip, and I really, really hope your trick works.

I noticed this problem right away, and am crushed.

I will be most relieved if this is just a software problem. It'll be even better if it is fixed in 10.4.3. Just as long as it is not a hardware issue requiring a return to Apple.

BWhaler
Oct 29, 2005, 07:45 AM

standard everything else

I have the same problem. Ghosting and flicker. (Same configuration)

WTF Apple?

Kristine
Oct 29, 2005, 08:01 AM
Not to mention the very strange dark ghosting in the bottom corners.

My first 15" Powerbook came with the same issue. Went out and purchased a second 15" Powerbook - it is exactly the same. I am keeping the second Powerbook as the first one also had a dead pixel and problems with the right hand side of the screen. I haven't had any other screen issues (as yet) with either - they are both standard (i.e. no hard drive upgrades etc.).

anyone else seeing this?

Yep. Both my new 15" Powerbooks have this feature.

zap2
Oct 29, 2005, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I would have defintely bought it if it hadn't cost three times as much as my puny 12". I personally would rather go for 2 PBs to get a 24" than one which costs more and has a measily 17" :D

2 12'' PB=3000+tax
1 17'' PB= 2500+tax

If your PB = 1/3 of a new 17'' PB you paid 833.3+tax for it. Were did u get your 12'' PB

Demon Hunter
Oct 29, 2005, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know how widespread this issue is?

Pistol Pete
Oct 29, 2005, 04:04 PM
Awsome! My next computer will be a 17'' Intel PB :D

mine too...

maya
Oct 29, 2005, 04:23 PM
Busted dreams of a 17" PowerBook user. ;) :p

Seriously though Apple seems to have screen issues with the 14" and above. I had a dead pixel and some shadowing on my original PB G3 Pismo. I never had any issues with the 12" iBook G4 though (it was perfect).

Seems the thin frame of the PowerBook could be an issue, not sure just speculating. :)

Get it together Apple, you are charging a lump sum for these systems.

Chrispy
Oct 29, 2005, 04:31 PM

standard everything else

I had that problem too on a 15" latest revision in the upper left corner. I returned it and ordered a 17" iMac.

tekmoe
Oct 29, 2005, 04:49 PM
screenshot from my 17" as requested:

http://www.tekmoe.com/desktop.jpg

RHMMMM
Oct 29, 2005, 04:58 PM
I had that problem too on a 15" latest revision in the upper left corner. I returned it and ordered a 17" iMac.

Did they make you pay a restocking fee?

Chrispy
Oct 29, 2005, 05:01 PM
Did they make you pay a restocking fee?

No, as usual I argued until they went my way. It also helped that I wanted to get an iMac G5 to replace it so they knew they were not completely loosing a customer. Also, it was not a BTO unit so that made things easier. I have been able to return BTO units in the past tho as long as you politely plead your case.

tekmoe
Oct 29, 2005, 05:19 PM
the dead pixel is slowly starting to irritate me. how much arguing would i have to do to try and get another 17"?

i am thinking i could call apple and basically tell them "hey, my friend and i both order 17" powerbooks. his is perfect but mine has 1 dead pixel. why did i have to pay the same price for something that is not as good?"

or i could say "i've been trying to live with this dead pixel but it is bothering me more and more. i am just not satisfied. can you please help?"

something alone those lines might get myself a replacement? but then i am scared i might get another 17" with even more dead pixels.

honestly, the dead pixel does not affect my work. it just hurts to see other people getting 17" powerbooks with no dead pixels at all. that's what i want. if everyone got a 17" with one dead pixel, it would be much more easy to deal with.

tekmoe
Oct 29, 2005, 05:23 PM
Is that a Thinkpad I see in the background of the photos? What kind is it, and how does the screen compare (size aside)?

it's my company's thinkpad t42. awesome x86 notebook. only problem is it does not run mac os x. ;)

the screen looks puny compared to the 17". i call the 17" 'bohemith'.

matticus008
Oct 29, 2005, 05:50 PM
the dead pixel is slowly starting to irritate me. how much arguing would i have to do to try and get another 17"?

i am thinking i could call apple and basically tell them "hey, my friend and i both order 17" powerbooks. his is perfect but mine has 1 dead pixel. why did i have to pay the same price for something that is not as good?"

or i could say "i've been trying to live with this dead pixel but it is bothering me more and more. i am just not satisfied. can you please help?"

something alone those lines might get myself a replacement? but then i am scared i might get another 17" with even more dead pixels.

honestly, the dead pixel does not affect my work. it just hurts to see other people getting 17" powerbooks with no dead pixels at all. that's what i want. if everyone got a 17" with one dead pixel, it would be much more easy to deal with.

Sadly, that's just the luck of the draw. Dead pixels are becoming increasingly rare, but they still pop up now and again on computers. I can't think of any company off the top of my head that has a zero dead pixel guarantee, but I seem to recall that one might exist. This is largely a gimmick to steal customers from competitors.

In all fairness, one in 1.76 million is a pretty good failure rate. And if it's not dead and instead "stuck," it's one bad subpixel in 5.29 million. If everything had similar defect ratios, we'd have a world full of amazing products.

I would go with your second option--just letting them know that the dead pixel is bothering you a little. I wouldn't treat the rep as though you deserve a replacement or even mention any other PowerBooks. It's like asking for a partial refund on a lottery ticket because you didn't win. If they're generous, they might offer to waive the restocking fee if it's not BTO. On the other hand, since it's not bothersome enough to return, they'll probably just explain that they can't guarantee flawless displays and apologize.

Chrispy
Oct 29, 2005, 05:54 PM

Where is the pixel located? If you really want them to take care of you tell them that you use the computer for design work and the dead pixel poses a real issue for you. In my case, I do desktop publishing and design so this is true and when I got a powerbook with a dead pixel awhile back I argued this point to them and got the exchange... and that was on a BTO. Also, even tho this may seem questionable, try to find any little thing on the computer.... one key on the keyboard not aligned properly, screen not closing perfectly, border around aluminum enclosure a little off... anything to add to the dead pixel. If they hear two issues they are more likely to do an exchange for you. Also, if you ask for an exchange they are much more likely to give you what you want because you are showing you really want to use that computer but you just want one that works. The design work being affected by the dead pixel argument has always worked for me. Best of luck and if you push your case you should get what you want.

Also, if the person you talk to does not give you the answer you want... call back and talk to someone else. It almost always works :) Oh, and Dell has a no dead pixel guarantee... so you can mention that too.

nospleen
Oct 29, 2005, 07:39 PM

Chrispy, I told you to get the imac from the get go! :D JK. Stinks that the screen issue seems widespread, I was actually thinking of buying a new 15". :(

nospleen
Oct 29, 2005, 07:41 PM

I thought you were having the screen issue that other people are having with the latest PB release? That alone should be reason to get a new one and cross your fingers on the pixels.

generik
Oct 29, 2005, 09:29 PM
Did the dead pixel remain stuck or did it "unstick" itself after a while?

generik
Oct 29, 2005, 09:32 PM

Don't just think about it, I strongly urge you to do it.

Really eats me to see big corps get richer and small consumers getting burned. You probably set aside portions of your salary over a couple months to be able to buy that PB, Apple makes your lifetime's salary in hours.

You deserve better.

cplusd
Oct 29, 2005, 09:35 PM
I bought a new 17 the first day it was announced (shocked one of the local Apple Stores had it in stock already). First I will admit the screen real estate is always a nice option; can't have to much. There were a few things about the 17 that made it impossible for me to like (subjective).

First the viewing range of this new LCD is not that great. Even being centered there was a little darkness (sort of washed out on the left and right side) issue going on, the 15" LCD doesn't suffer from that. Also it had the same dark corner issue that someone posted a picture of. Second I've always used/owned a 15 (ti/al) and I couldn't force myself to like the larger form factor. Third there was the flashing/flickering 1/3 bottom of the screen issue that others have mentioned.

So I decided to take it back and go back to my first and only love; The 15. At first I was afraid I'd miss the extra real estate, but the new 15 has a good amount of real estate (If you're not use to the old 17). Personally I was so used to the old 15, so the new resolution was a big plus. They also seem to tighen up the LCD hinge because now it's tight as a ******* *****.

The new LCD is just as bright if not a tad brighter than the 17 DDR I had. So now I'm running with 2GB's of crucial ram and this thing is treating me as good as I'd expect. After owning the 17 I have a lot of respect for the real estate that it offers. But the 15 is a breed of it's own and I now know how much I love her (again It's all subjective).

As corny as it sounds they say to know if true love is real you should let it go to see if it makes its way back to you... Well that's my story about the 15.

tekmoe
Oct 29, 2005, 09:44 PM
i called apple tonight. i explained to them that i think i have a dead pixel. he suggested i go to the apple store to have a genuis look at it. then i told him the alignment on the powerbook is not correct, which is true. i had this same problem with the 12" i bought a couple of months ago and had to return it for an exchange. the manager at the store even told me it was a known issue and he had no problem exchanging it with no restocking fee. the applecare guy told me again to take it to a genuis at the local apple store. i told him i would do so.

i went to the apple store after i ended the call and believe it or not, the same manager who exchanged my 12" a couple of months ago for the alignment problem. i introduced myself and explained the situation and commented about how he helped me last time. he made the process very simple. he basically had a genius look at it, type in some notes and created a case #, and told me to call apple back for an exchange.

in the end, i will call apple tomorrow (they are closed now) and will have them send me a replacement. i would have done an exchange in the store but mine is a BTO with the 7200rpm drive.

i will let you guys know what happens. thanks for the insight.

Chrispy
Oct 29, 2005, 11:25 PM
i called apple tonight. i explained to them that i think i have a dead pixel. he suggested i go to the apple store to have a genuis look at it. then i told him the alignment on the powerbook is not correct, which is true. i had this same problem with the 12" i bought a couple of months ago and had to return it for an exchange. the manager at the store even told me it was a known issue and he had no problem exchanging it with no restocking fee. the applecare guy told me again to take it to a genuis at the local apple store. i told him i would do so.

i went to the apple store after i ended the call and believe it or not, the same manager who exchanged my 12" a couple of months ago for the alignment problem. i introduced myself and explained the situation and commented about how he helped me last time. he made the process very simple. he basically had a genius look at it, type in some notes and created a case #, and told me to call apple back for an exchange.

in the end, i will call apple tomorrow (they are closed now) and will have them send me a replacement. i would have done an exchange in the store but mine is a BTO with the 7200rpm drive.

i will let you guys know what happens. thanks for the insight.

Sounds like a happy ending :) If you work with Apple they will usually take care of you. Sometimes you have to be persistant but in the end they are usually good on their word. Glad to hear it worked out so far. Keep us posted :)

generik
Oct 29, 2005, 11:44 PM
The lower screen flickering issue and inconsistent backlight issues sound quite serious.. dodgy connectors probably?

Do they occur on the 15" too? Suddenly I am more and more worried that when I get my PB I will end up with one of these duds :(

Kristine
Oct 30, 2005, 12:23 AM
The lower screen flickering issue and inconsistent backlight issues sound quite serious.. dodgy connectors probably?

Do they occur on the 15" too? Suddenly I am more and more worried that when I get my PB I will end up with one of these duds :(

I have two 15" REV. E Powerbooks; neither has displayed the flickering or backlighting problem.

tekmoe
Oct 30, 2005, 01:15 AM
Sounds like a happy ending :) If you work with Apple they will usually take care of you. Sometimes you have to be persistant but in the end they are usually good on their word. Glad to hear it worked out so far. Keep us posted :)

i will call it a happy ending when i get a new 17" that does not have dead pixels and the alignment of the screen is good. in the beginning of my review, i said the dead pixel really did not bother me. BUT, after i have thought about it, i have owned 1 ibook and 4 powerbooks. all 5 of these have never had a dead pixels. then i get my brand new 17" that i have been waiting for over 2 months to get my grubby little hands on...and it has a freakin dead pixel. the dead pixel grew on me and started poking at my eye. ok, it wasn't that bad, but still...you get my point. plus, i have talked with numerous other people who have said they have never had a dead pixel on any of their powerbooks/ibooks either. the percentage of people getting a laptop with dead pixel(s) is slim to say the least from what i have seen/read.

my 17" has a very stiff latch button. you can barely push it in with your thumb unless you use your fingernail. this is due to poor screen alignment. the first 12" i bought back in august had a very similar problem which was also due to poor screen alignment. the manager told me this and exchanged the 12" without any questions. knowing this, i used the screen alignment comment for my 17" because i know they will exchange it. when i was at the apple store, i mentioned nothing about the dead pixel. only the screen alignment.

i will call apple tomorrow and see what they have to say. i am 99% sure they will say "we will build another powerbook of the same one you originally ordered and ship it to you asap."

does anyone know if they expect me to ship my powerbook first? or will they ship me the new powerbook and then i ship mine back? will it be only the powerbook, or the entire retail box as if it were brand new?

thanks again guys and girls.

Chrispy
Oct 30, 2005, 01:43 AM
I have had many many powerbooks with deal pixels :mad: (3 in a row once). They make you send the powerbook back to them first and then they process your new order. They will send you a fedex label and you send the entire retail box back to them. After 3-5 days they will start to process your return.

Abstract
Oct 30, 2005, 03:46 AM
Seriously though Apple seems to have screen issues with the 14" and above. I had a dead pixel and some shadowing on my original PB G3 Pismo. I never had any issues with the 12" iBook G4 though (it was perfect).

Yes, I think we can start forming your conclusion from a sample size of 2 computers that you have owned.

And guys, don't put up with a screen that "flickers." I don't know why Tekmoe and someone else said, "Whoohoo, it hasn't flickered in 4 hours!!" Guess what? My 12" PBs screen hasn't flickered in 25 months.

BWhaler
Oct 30, 2005, 08:46 AM
Add to my list of flicker, and lookups internet problems...

...an inconsistent backlight.

I just noticed it, and it's terrible.

This 17" PowerBook is going back. I hope the store doesn't give me a hard time.

I am highly disappointed, and nervous since I am not certain the replacement will be any better.

But this is my 4th PowerBook and 3rd desktop in the past 3 years, and the first major problem, so Apple's average is good.

But I am still disappointed. And after the massive quality issues in Tiger, I just hope this is not the beginning of a trend for Apple.

tekmoe
Oct 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
after a one hour phone call with apple, they finally agreed to replace my powerbook all together. they wanted me to send it in for repair but i denied that offer. so i had to go thru 3 people before they agreed to build me another 17" with the 7200rpm drive. it's being built now and will be shipped to me hopefully this week. the lady said it would be shipped next business day. the only thing i have to pay for is to ship back the current 17". oh well.

i just hope the next one does not have any dead pixels and the alignment is much better.

nospleen
Oct 30, 2005, 12:10 PM
after a one hour phone call with apple, they finally agreed to replace my powerbook all together. they wanted me to send it in for repair but i denied that offer. so i had to go thru 3 people before they agreed to build me another 17" with the 7200rpm drive. it's being built now and will be shipped to me hopefully this week. the lady said it would be shipped next business day. the only thing i have to pay for is to ship back the current 17". oh well.

i just hope the next one does not have any dead pixels and the alignment is much better.

That is BS, you should not have to pay for shipping back?!

Chrispy
Oct 30, 2005, 12:14 PM
That is BS, you should not have to pay for shipping back?!

Yeah I never had to pay for shipping when I sent mine back :mad: I have never had a good powerbook experience with the exception of my 12" that I had for awhile. I finally just bailed ship on them all together and ordered an iMac 1.9 17" instead. If I ever get an apple portable in the future it will be an iBook 12" for sure. So sad Apple can't seem to get things right on their powerbook line...

tekmoe
Oct 30, 2005, 01:22 PM
honestly, i wasn't going to argue any further than that. i was pushing my luck as it was. technically, they could have told me "sorry, you are screwed and we can only repair it" because they are protected by their policy. my powerbook was not DOA so they had every right to decline an exchange. i kept pushing and telling them "but your apple care specialist told me on the phone last night that this is what you guys would do. why are you telling me otherwise now?". at that point, they let their defense down and said they would be willing to make an exception. psh.

so to pay 15 or 20 bucks to ship back the "defective" one to get another brand new BTO, i am not mad. i think i did pretty good. she's bumped the shipping method to 2-day express so it should be pretty quick. i checked the order a few minutes ago and it's arleady in the system. it says the latest ship date will be nov 3rd. most likely it will be shipped out tomorrow or tuesday.