PDA

View Full Version : [phones] HTC One: Shocked !

zulkiflim
Apr 28, 2013, 02:11 AM
HEya

First of before anyone say anything, my entire household is APPLE centric.

From the media centre to mobile.

I have always told my friend how other brand feels cheap/lackluster.
But with the HTC ONE,the gap has been overcome.

Samsung will always make crappy phone, but HTC One blew my mind.

Not android/crapware/spyware... the build is just much better than the Iphone 5.
Hold it in your hands and you will understand what i mean.

Apple need not change the screen size or whatever, but what ever they come out with will be compared with HTC ONE...not Samsung S4 (which is crap).

Apple really need to wow with the next iteration of the Iphone .

Reminds me of this video where Microsoft spend a LOT of money on advertising instead of fixing the Vista problems.
Likewise, Apple you have a winner with Iphone 5, we dont need more ads, just make sure the next iphone design blow the competition away.

Remember this ad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqugg-br0Cw

:apple: All the way...

SanjeevRana
Apr 28, 2013, 02:47 AM
Agree only on the build quality ...

Rest is still debatable, since I have both devices :)

itsmemuffins
Apr 28, 2013, 04:06 AM
No it's not.

It's all put together with glue. Back plate is glued to the plastic rim, plastic rim can crack (google)

Fake speaker grills glued to the plastic rim can pop off if you drop the phone (google)

Screen glued to the plastic rim and so on and so on.

It's not even a true unibody design like the iPhone 5.

So how exactly is it a better build than the iPhone 5?

SanjeevRana
Apr 28, 2013, 04:14 AM
Great ... thanks for opening an HTC One to prove your point :rolleyes:

Images and links would help ...

Here is mine - http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494/1

Interesting points -
The number one standout feature of the One is certainly the aluminum unibody, which required much custom tooling on HTC's part to achieve the perfect fit and finish.

With the rear case off, we find the One's report card. It looks like straight As, although at this point we are not sure the repairability score will fare so well.

sundog925
Apr 28, 2013, 04:26 AM
If I wasn't an apple whore, I'd be on the HTC One. This is a fact.

maflynn
Apr 28, 2013, 05:03 AM
The HTC One does look great - I'd be all over that if it weren't for the fact I'm in mid-contract.

CEmajr
Apr 28, 2013, 05:55 AM
I agree. The HTC One has done what I didn't think any Android OEM was capable of and outclassed the iPhone in design.

fredaroony
Apr 28, 2013, 05:57 AM
I agree. The HTC One has done what I didn't think any Android OEM was capable of and outclassed the iPhone in design.

The Xperia Z is equally as good..my opinion of course.

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 06:33 AM
How do you know the S4 is crap? Have you used it or you are making baseless assumptions?

vmachiel
Apr 28, 2013, 07:10 AM
How do you know the S4 is crap? Have you used it or you are making baseless assumptions?

Cheap ass plastic design with gingerbread like touchwizz UI and 1000 software feature that nobody uses...

itsmemuffins
Apr 28, 2013, 07:29 AM
And don't forget. The S4 is probably made from the same material your toilet seat is.

Krimsonmyst
Apr 28, 2013, 07:39 AM
Cheap ass plastic design with gingerbread like touchwizz UI and 1000 software feature that nobody uses...

As someone who bought an S4 yesterday - don't let the 'cheap ass plastic' fool you. It is actually a very sturdily built handset. Build quality and build materials are 2 different things.
I don't particularly care for the build materials of the S4, but the build quality is excellent.

If you don't like TouchWiz, there are ways around it. Install a third party launcher - or if you REALLY want, flash a ROM. Either a lite TouchWiz based rom or an AOSP/AOKP one.

And just because YOU don't use the software features, doesn't mean NO-ONE will. I've already set my S4 up as a remote for all the TVs in my house, and using the head tilt to scroll (smart scroll) is great when I'm lying in bed and my arms are under the covers :D

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 07:39 AM
I just picked up a one and like it so far. No question about the build quality. I have a few quirks with sense, but having blinkfeed makes it worth it. That feature alone is the best single news feature I have used.

Davejprince
Apr 28, 2013, 07:43 AM
The One is a good device with a decent build quality, The Galaxy series are good phones, altough the shell is what I dislike.
I do also prefer iOS over Android

Krimsonmyst
Apr 28, 2013, 07:44 AM
I just picked up a one and like it so far. No question about the build quality. I have a few quirks with sense, but having blinkfeed makes it worth it. That feature alone is the best single news feature I have used.

I like the idea of Blinkfeed - I do not like the idea of not being able to turn it off.

noobinator
Apr 28, 2013, 07:48 AM
And don't forget. The S4 is probably made from the same material your toilet seat is.

And aluminum phones are made from the same material as a shasta cola can.

We all know that nothing with high quality is made of plastic right? :rolleyes:

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 07:55 AM

What do you have against plastic? I really wonder what it did to make you so irate.

itsmemuffins
Apr 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
And aluminum phones are made from the same material as a shasta cola can.

We all know that nothing with high quality is made of plastic right? :rolleyes:

It's not the same grade as the can ;)

I didn't say plastic I said Samsung. Nokia makes very high quality plastic phones and so does htc oppo and others.

Samsung makes phones from cheap disgusting plastic. :cool:

----------

What do you have against plastic? I really wonder what it did to make you so irate.

Like everything there are grades of quality and Samsung uses the lowest grade it can get away with.

It's nothing like the quality nokia and htc use and others. ;)

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 08:04 AM
The only plastic parts are the rear cover and the sides. The front is glass.

Also, it's glossy and that may evoke a feeling of cheapness.

itsmemuffins
Apr 28, 2013, 08:12 AM
The only plastic parts are the rear cover and the sides. The front is glass.

Also, it's glossy and that may evoke a feeling of cheapness.

The whole of the inside is plastic as well.

Krimsonmyst
Apr 28, 2013, 08:20 AM

I didn't say plastic I said Samsung. Nokia makes very high quality plastic phones and so does htc oppo and others.

Samsung makes phones from cheap disgusting plastic. :cool:

----------

Like everything there are grades of quality and Samsung uses the lowest grade it can get away with.

The plastic (or polycarbonate, if you want to get technical) that Nokia, HTC and Oppo uses may FEEL better, but if you drop them the plastic will dent, it will scratch, it will chip.

The polycarbonate on the Galaxy phones (S3 and S4) will not. I dropped my S3 3 times over the course of a year. Once was onto a carpark surface, once was onto grass from a picnic table and once was onto tiles outside on my patio, and it hasn't gotten so much as a hairline scratch on it. It does look unpleasant when the back cover flies off and the battery falls out (did 2/3 times), but when you pick it back up and put it back together, it's good as new.

My mum has a Lumia 800, and about a month after getting it she dropped it down the side of her car seat, it fell about a foot and a half. When she picked it up, the corner had been dented slightly, and the casing had a black mark where it had landed on some rubber.

Samsung's plastic goes for function over form, and it does a good job of it. I agree with you that the One looks better, as does the iPhone 5, but when I think of what will happen to that aluminium body when it gets dropped or knocked against something hard, it puts me right off.

itsmemuffins
Apr 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
The plastic (or polycarbonate, if you want to get technical) that Nokia, HTC and Oppo uses may FEEL better, but if you drop them the plastic will dent, it will scratch, it will chip.

The polycarbonate on the Galaxy phones (S3 and S4) will not. I dropped my S3 3 times over the course of a year. Once was onto a carpark surface, once was onto grass from a picnic table and once was onto tiles outside on my patio, and it hasn't gotten so much as a hairline scratch on it. It does look unpleasant when the back cover flies off and the battery falls out (did 2/3 times), but when you pick it back up and put it back together, it's good as new.

My mum has a Lumia 800, and about a month after getting it she dropped it down the side of her car seat, it fell about a foot and a half. When she picked it up, the corner had been dented slightly, and the casing had a black mark where it had landed on some rubber.

Samsung's plastic goes for function over form, and it does a good job of it. I agree with you that the One looks better, as does the iPhone 5, but when I think of what will happen to that aluminium body when it gets dropped or knocked against something hard, it puts me right off.

Indeed that us true because the plastic is so thin there is nothing to dent.

I wouldn't even care but Samsung try's to pass their high end phones as a premium device, which they re clearly not.

daveathall
Apr 28, 2013, 08:27 AM

You got a link to prove that?:rolleyes: What grade aluminium is a can and what grade alluminium is an iPhone? Do you know?

And a link for that?

Something to mull over while you are getting those links;

I would guess that the aluminium on an iPhone 5 is thinner than a tin can.

Quote;

Which brings us to the next key detail with the anodization process: typically, the thickness of the anodization adds about half that thickness to the total aluminum thickness. So if you had an aluminum plate that was 1mm thick and added a 0.2 mm oxide, post-anodization, you would end up with a total material thickness of 1.1mm. With Apple trying to maintain as slim a profile as possible, it's in their best interests to have a relatively thin anodization. Given the graining of the anodization and based on what I've seen from scratching up my own iPhone 5, I think Apple's anodization process results in a super-thin alumina, something on the order of less than a hundred microns, at most; I'm estimating around 50-75um. (I'd also just like to note that in the process of this review, I took a jeweler's screwdriver to the back of my previously pristine iPhone 5. I love you guys, don't ever forget it.)

The oxide is even thinner on the bands, particularly the chamfers, which are just painted metal. So while the entire thing is easy to nick, it seems easiest to scratch off lots of paint on the bands, as well as the various metal edges. The soft-anodized surface is just a magnet. And the thing is, I'm not even sure they have the material thickness to oxidize more of the surface to get a more durable finish. The entire phone is so thin, and especially on the bands, I can't see a way for them to corrode any more of the aluminum than they already have without it raising questions about structural integrity. So, without very special care inside the factories, it's pretty easy to see how defects could occur. The rumors of Apple tightening down on quality control inside the iPhone 5 assembly factories comes as no surprise, since the 5 really does need extra attention to make it out of the factory unscathed.

Taken from;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...one-5-review/3

ucfgrad93
Apr 28, 2013, 08:38 AM
The HTC One does look great - I'd be all over that if it weren't for the fact I'm in mid-contract.

My contract ends next month, and I'm seriously considering going with the One and dropping my iPhone.

Krimsonmyst
Apr 28, 2013, 08:42 AM
Indeed that us true because the plastic is so thin there is nothing to dent.

I wouldn't even care but Samsung try's to pass their high end phones as a premium device, which they re clearly not.

This is such an incorrect statement. What exactly about the Galaxy S4 is not a premium device?

- First handset to have an Octo-Core CPU (in some regions)
- First handset to feature LPDDR3 Memory (HTC One only has LPDDR2)
- Adaptive 1080p AMOLED Display (with a unique diamond pixel arrangement)
- Eye Tracking Technology
- SD Card Support
- Removable Battery
- WiFi ac connectivity

And then you're going to sit there and tell me that it doesn't deserve to be a premium device because the casing on the outside isn't aluminium?

Even if you DID want to pursue this insane train of thought, 90% of people who buy these phones will put cases on them anyway, making your argument moot.

There is a horrible trend in mobile tech circles these days (reviewers do it as well and it frustrates me no end), that if a device isn't made of aluminium and glass then it has a poor build quality - which is a load of crap.
You may not like the materials that the device is encased in, but that doesn't mean it has poor build quality.

If you actually bothered to go and hold an actual S4, you would see that it is an incredibly sturdy and well built handset. The lines are clean, edges are straight, everything fits together perfectly and there is no creaking or slipping.

Call me insane if you wish, but I'll take a functional and well build handset over one that makes compromises for the sake of outer casing any day of the week. It's a shame everyone fawns over glass and aluminium, because there are so many benefits to exploring other options.

Kashsystems
Apr 28, 2013, 08:59 AM
Last night I held both a S4 and One.

The back of the S4 does feel cheaper. It really does. Yet the build quality of the rest of the phone is bar none. The screen and areas of glass of medal is really good.

Now if HTC One had a removable back, I probably would have left with that instead. The One can not be beaten in Sound Quality and looks. It is a sexy phone, but I still want some functionality with a removable back.

And you can't argue that they couldn't do it, because they did in China.

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
The whole of the inside is plastic as well.

Unscrew everything and you'll find magnesium. :)

Mrbobb
Apr 28, 2013, 09:32 AM
Boy the way some ppl react around here, one would think we insulted ur mother.

Lighten up people, is just a gadget.

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 09:55 AM
I like the idea of Blinkfeed - I do not like the idea of not being able to turn it off.

Just use a different launcher and it's gone. You can customize it though. I have it so it just shows news and not Facebook

jamezr
Apr 28, 2013, 10:23 AM
Just use a different launcher and it's gone. You can customize it though. I have it so it just shows news and not Facebook
Yep...a new launcher cure blinkfeed....now how to fix Gallery? It is set exactly like blinkfeed. I can't seem to find a way to just browse my photos. It syncs everything and shows all images just like blinkfeed even though i have it all turned off in Facebook and everything else....might be what tilts the scales to the S4 for me.

JaySoul
Apr 28, 2013, 10:26 AM
This is such an incorrect statement. What exactly about the Galaxy S4 is not a premium device?

- SD Card Support
- Removable Battery
- WiFi ac connectivity

And then you're going to sit there and tell me that it doesn't deserve to be a premium device because the casing on the outside isn't aluminium?

Even if you DID want to pursue this insane train of thought, 90% of people who buy these phones will put cases on them anyway, making your argument moot.

There is a horrible trend in mobile tech circles these days (reviewers do it as well and it frustrates me no end), that if a device isn't made of aluminium and glass then it has a poor build quality - which is a load of crap.
You may not like the materials that the device is encased in, but that doesn't mean it has poor build quality.

If you actually bothered to go and hold an actual S4, you would see that it is an incredibly sturdy and well built handset. The lines are clean, edges are straight, everything fits together perfectly and there is no creaking or slipping.

Call me insane if you wish, but I'll take a functional and well build handset over one that makes compromises for the sake of outer casing any day of the week. It's a shame everyone fawns over glass and aluminium, because there are so many benefits to exploring other options.

Have to agree with most of this.

Tbh I have an iPhone 5 - the first thing I did was put a screen protector and a case.

Build materials are all well and good but I've dropped my phone 3 times, and at that point (as it drops) I couldn't care less about the aluminium and glass "feel" vs plastic etc - I just don't want it to break.

Well-built handsets for the win.

PS - Saying all that, the design of HTC One is stunning, and has taught Apple/Samsung a thing or two about design.

Assault
Apr 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
Any time you prioritize form over function, arguing that another product sucks because function overrides form just makes you look petty.
By the way, the only "premium" aluminum on an iphone 5 is the back plate. Every other part is cheap, low grade aluminum. Same as a soda can.

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 12:07 PM
Yep...a new launcher cure blinkfeed....now how to fix Gallery? It is set exactly like blinkfeed. I can't seem to find a way to just browse my photos. It syncs everything and shows all images just like blinkfeed even though i have it all turned off in Facebook and everything else....might be what tilts the scales to the S4 for me.

Obviously everything is personal preference, but if I didn't like blinkfeed I would have bought a different phone. That was a major selling point for me. I get all of the content I need from everything I am interested in.

gmanist1000
Apr 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
I've had Apple everything for years, I got the HTC One a couple days ago and it's the best built phone of all time. I absolutely love it.

It'll take me a while to get used to Android, though.

rockitdog
Apr 28, 2013, 02:10 PM
I switched from the iPhone 5 to the HTC One and have no regrets. With the exception of working seamlessly with my other Apple products, there is nothing that my iPhone 5 can't do and in most cases the HTC One can do it better than the iPhone can.

If people would give the HTC One a chance and stick with it through the learning curve they'd be impressed with what they find. Unfortunately many of us don't have the patience to stick through it.

----------

Yes, I removed twitter and facebook from it and keep it soley as a news feed and moved it all the over to the left and I hardly even notice its there.

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
I switched from the iPhone 5 to the HTC One and have no regrets. With the exception of working seamlessly with my other Apple products, there is nothing that my iPhone 5 can't do and in most cases the HTC One can do it better than the iPhone can.

If people would give the HTC One a chance and stick with it through the learning curve they'd be impressed with what they find. Unfortunately many of us don't have the patience to stick through it.

----------

Yes, I removed twitter and facebook from it and keep it soley as a news feed and moved it all the over to the left and I hardly even notice its there.

I have the best of both now. I am using nova but set it up so it launches htc sense if I am on the home screen and press the home button. I removed all of the sense home pages except for blinkfeed, so it basically just lancers that.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 02:37 PM
I have the best of both now. I am using nova but set it up so it launches htc sense if I am on the home screen and press the home button. I removed all of the sense home pages except for blinkfeed, so it basically just lancers that.

Clever set up. I love the flexibility of Nova.

Though one might argue you could just use Flipboard. ;)

mattopotamus
Apr 28, 2013, 02:39 PM
Clever set up. I love the flexibility of Nova.

Though one might argue you could just use Flipboard. ;)

I like the blinkfeed better. Coming from the n4, as I'm sure you feel the same way, the speakers are phenomenal :-)

Oppressed
Apr 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
If I wasn't an apple whore, I'd be on the HTC One. This is a fact.

Same here. It's funny but the HTC one is the first Android device that over came the build quality issue I had with Android phones in general. So I found myself asking what keeps me to the iPhone and really it comes down to, for me, the selection of apps and the services that connect my iPad and MacBook together.

kenypowa
Apr 28, 2013, 09:22 PM
HEya

First of before anyone say anything, my entire household is APPLE centric.

From the media centre to mobile.

I have always told my friend how other brand feels cheap/lackluster.
But with the HTC ONE,the gap has been overcome.

Samsung will always make crappy phone, but HTC One blew my mind.

Not android/crapware/spyware... the build is just much better than the Iphone 5.
Hold it in your hands and you will understand what i mean.

Apple need not change the screen size or whatever, but what ever they come out with will be compared with HTC ONE...not Samsung S4 (which is crap).

Apple really need to wow with the next iteration of the Iphone .

Reminds me of this video where Microsoft spend a LOT of money on advertising instead of fixing the Vista problems.
Likewise, Apple you have a winner with Iphone 5, we dont need more ads, just make sure the next iphone design blow the competition away.

Remember this ad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqugg-br0Cw

:apple: All the way...

This, along with the security personnel ad are two of the best mac vs pc ads.

maxwelltech
Apr 28, 2013, 09:25 PM
No it's not.

It's all put together with glue. Back plate is glued to the plastic rim, plastic rim can crack (google)

Fake speaker grills glued to the plastic rim can pop off if you drop the phone (google)

Screen glued to the plastic rim and so on and so on.

It's not even a true unibody design like the iPhone 5.

So how exactly is it a better build than the iPhone 5?
Never mind.

swoosh0217
Apr 28, 2013, 09:51 PM
I've had Apple everything for years, I got the HTC One a couple days ago and it's the best built phone of all time. I absolutely love it.

It'll take me a while to get used to Android, though.

Ditto... I really like the blink feed but I like what NOVA launcher gives me. There's so many options in NOVA that Sense doesn't have.

Someone here mentioned about going to Gallery section and not able to just see his photo album. You have to click on "My photos" then choose "Albums".

Kashsystems
Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 PM
Same here. It's funny but the HTC one is the first Android device that over came the build quality issue I had with Android phones in general. So I found myself asking what keeps me to the iPhone and really it comes down to, for me, the selection of apps and the services that connect my iPad and MacBook together.

I felt the same way. So I decided yesterday to be brave and take the plunge anyways.

All I have to say is WIDGETS, WHY DOESN'T IOS HAVE WIDGETS.

KennethP4V
Apr 29, 2013, 02:32 AM

- SD Card Support
- Removable Battery
- WiFi ac connectivity

First to say it has octa core and that's kool is totally wrong, it's just another quad core processor. Only 4 cores will run at a time. HTC One has regular DDR 2 not LPDDR2, and the S4 has LPDDR3 not regular DDR3, so there is really no difference in the Ram performance since LPDDR means low profile DDR, it's weak, that's why benchmark test didnt even show how S4 memory was better.

vmachiel
Apr 29, 2013, 03:22 AM
As someone who bought an S4 yesterday - don't let the 'cheap ass plastic' fool you. It is actually a very sturdily built handset. Build quality and build materials are 2 different things.
I don't particularly care for the build materials of the S4, but the build quality is excellent.

If you don't like TouchWiz, there are ways around it. Install a third party launcher - or if you REALLY want, flash a ROM. Either a lite TouchWiz based rom or an AOSP/AOKP one.

And just because YOU don't use the software features, doesn't mean NO-ONE will. I've already set my S4 up as a remote for all the TVs in my house, and using the head tilt to scroll (smart scroll) is great when I'm lying in bed and my arms are under the covers :D

I'm so sorry, but are you only here to promote samsung phones and bash on others? Look at your post history...

SlCKB0Y
Apr 29, 2013, 04:05 AM

What would make you think that these crazy ass fanboys would have to see, touch, hold or use a non Apple product to pass a negative judgement? Are you new here? :D

----------

Unscrew everything and you'll find magnesium. :)

There you go again, trying to let facts and reason get in the way of a discussion?!?!

Krimsonmyst
Apr 29, 2013, 04:34 AM
First to say it has octa core and that's kool is totally wrong, it's just another quad core processor. Only 4 cores will run at a time. HTC One has regular DDR 2 not LPDDR2, and the S4 has LPDDR3 not regular DDR3, so there is really no difference in the Ram performance since LPDDR means low profile DDR, it's weak, that's why benchmark test didnt even show how S4 memory was better.

Still the first phone to use the 2xQuad-Core config - and the first handset to use ARM's big.LITTLE architecture.

----------

I'm so sorry, but are you only here to promote samsung phones and bash on others? Look at your post history...

I just dislike ignorant comments. And I believe credit should be given where it's due. I believe in regards to the S4, there are many ignorant statements being thrown around, and people aren't giving credit for the pretty impressive device that it is.

I can't help how you interpret my comments.

clborden
Apr 29, 2013, 04:38 AM
Maybe you guys that bought one can help me here... I really want to get one also, but I'm concerned with how I'd get media on and off the device. I am not interested in using Google Music, as I like my stuff stored not streamed. Anyway, I need to add and remove movies and tv shows regularly. Is there an iTunes-like solution, or am I stuck with Android File Transfer & iSyncr? I know Samsung has Kies, but TBH it's a miserable experience...especially on a Mac.

Any ideas?

Krimsonmyst
Apr 29, 2013, 04:41 AM
Maybe you guys that bought one can help me here... I really want to get one also, but I'm concerned with how I'd get media on and off the device. I am not interested in using Google Music, as I like my stuff stored not streamed. Anyway, I need to add and remove movies and tv shows regularly. Is there an iTunes-like solution, or am I stuck with Android File Transfer & iSyncr? I know Samsung has Kies, but TBH it's a miserable experience...especially on a Mac.

Any ideas?

What exactly is wrong with iSyncr? I've used it for just over a year now and it's never skipped a beat in syncing my iTunes library.

clborden
Apr 29, 2013, 05:13 AM
What exactly is wrong with iSyncr? I've used it for just over a year now and it's never skipped a beat in syncing my iTunes library.

My issue is that it only does music...which is fine, but I'd love something similar to iTunes or a very improved version of Kies. I know iSyncr works fine, but it doesn't play nice with AFT, or especially Kies (if I'm brave enough to try it again). I usually use AFT for movies and iSyncr for music, but I'd like one seemless solution...that's all. As far as I know, there's nothing, but I'm still fairly new to Android. I was hoping HTC had something...

vmachiel
Apr 29, 2013, 05:35 AM
Still the first phone to use the 2xQuad-Core config - and the first handset to use ARM's big.LITTLE architecture.

----------

I just dislike ignorant comments. And I believe credit should be given where it's due. I believe in regards to the S4, there are many ignorant statements being thrown around, and people aren't giving credit for the pretty impressive device that it is.

I can't help how you interpret my comments.

Hmm I'm sorry then. I just got the feeling that you are only on this forum to promote samsung, as that is all you seem to be doing.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 29, 2013, 05:39 AM
I was hoping HTC had something...

Anyone tried this?
http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2013, 05:56 AM
Anyone tried this?
http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/

Yeah its OK but as always Android syncing software and macs always seem to be just 'so so'....

HTC Syn Manager software pops up for install once you plug in your HTC one anyway, though I urge people to go and download the latest version instead.

Krimsonmyst
Apr 29, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hmm I'm sorry then. I just got the feeling that you are only on this forum to promote samsung, as that is all you seem to be doing.

I apologise if it comes off this way, but I, just like everyone else on here is just chasing a phone that works the best that it can. For me, the iPhone is too outdated and stale, and the HTC One, while very impressive in many areas, has too many tradeoffs for me to seriously consider it.

I've used a Galaxy S2, 3 and now 4, and I still think that Samsung provides the best overall package. I apologise if you think I'm too pro-Samsung, but I'm just giving my honest opinion on what I feel is the best hardware/software atm.

ernbrdn
Apr 29, 2013, 06:54 AM
Who really cares about what material your phone is made of. I case you haven't noticed a large percentage of people slap big gaudy cases on any phone they own. Why worry if your phone is made of aluminum, plastic, recycled rubber, of glass when you just goin to slap a 3lb case on it regardless.

maflynn
Apr 29, 2013, 06:58 AM
Who really cares about what material your phone is made of. I case you haven't noticed a large percentage of people slap big gaudy cases on any phone they own. Why worry if your phone is made of aluminum, plastic, recycled rubber, of glass when you just goin to slap a 3lb case on it regardless.

Totally agree, any material has its advantages and disadvantages. Aluminium can cause detuning. Glass in the back certainly looks great, but can break. Plastic is durable, i.e., doesn't shatter but can scratch and if not done right may feel too plasticy and cheap. The Palm Pre had this criticism.

I'm more concerned about the build quality, insofar how it will hold up from usage, and the overall experience. From what I've read both the One and S4 are highly regarded in this department though the One has the edge in some areas - at least by some reviewers.

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2013, 07:29 AM
Have both phones now. Both phones are great build quality - build materials are subjective.

Some may prefer the tapered back and the coolness (as in literally colder) feel of the HTC one.

The S4 is warmer in the hand and does feel different, but it doesn't feel cheap.

Either way I put cases on my phones so for the most part its all mute.

tbayrgs
Apr 29, 2013, 07:52 AM

Because some of us don't put a big gaudy case (or any case for that matter) on their phone and prefer to use it as is.

vmachiel
Apr 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
I apologise if it comes off this way, but I, just like everyone else on here is just chasing a phone that works the best that it can. For me, the iPhone is too outdated and stale, and the HTC One, while very impressive in many areas, has too many tradeoffs for me to seriously consider it.

I've used a Galaxy S2, 3 and now 4, and I still think that Samsung provides the best overall package. I apologise if you think I'm too pro-Samsung, but I'm just giving my honest opinion on what I feel is the best hardware/software atm.

Yeah I'm sorry too man, I was up late and had just read some stuff about samsung paying people to be totally pro samsung in all kinds of forum. I sounded silly:)

maxosx
Apr 29, 2013, 08:48 AM
It's all put together with glue.

Just like my $3,100 MacBook Pro Retina. :D

sampath
Apr 29, 2013, 10:05 AM
FTC One has regular DDR 2 not LPDDR2, and the S4 has LPDDR3 not regular DDR3, so there is really no difference in the Ram performance since LPDDR means low profile DDR, it's weak, that's why benchmark test didnt even show how S4 memory was better.

LPDDR = Low power DDR. I doubt the HTC One uses "regular" (i.e desktop or laptop grade) RAM and most benchmarks show the S4 slightly ahead of the HTC One despite both being powered by Snapdragon 600 SOCs.

jrswizzle
Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
LPDDR = Low power DDR. I doubt the HTC One uses "regular" (i.e desktop or laptop grade) RAM and most benchmarks show the S4 slightly ahead of the HTC One despite both being powered by Snapdragon 600 SOCs.

The overall benchmark yes, but the memory management is better on the One despite supposedly inferior RAM sticks....

The S4 Snapdragon is also a higher-clocked variant of the normal 600 in the One - likely a main contributor to the higher (though not by much) benchmarks.

Not saying the One is better than the S4 (though for me it is) - just saying that using the fact the S4 uses LPDDR3 doesn't really mean a whole lot given the fact the One does a better job at memory management and performance anyways.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 30, 2013, 03:59 AM
given the fact the One does a better job at memory management

What does this mean?

fredaroony
Apr 30, 2013, 05:16 AM
I agree with you that HTC One is much better in build quality than any other device. but other than that its nothing. i am a type of guy who likes software more than the hardware and thats why i think S4 is better than the One.

That's a pretty big statement, other brands and models are made just as well.

maflynn
Apr 30, 2013, 05:37 AM
i am a type of guy who likes software more than the hardware and thats why i think S4 is better than the One.

Can you expand on that, both are running Android so why would the S4 be better at running software then the HTC One?

MacRumorUser
Apr 30, 2013, 05:51 AM
Can you expand on that, both are running Android so why would the S4 be better at running software then the HTC One?

I'm assuming they mean the 'software' features such as smart stay, smart scroll, air gesture and air view. Basically all the features I had to disable / turn off in order to get the phone to actually perform like a 1.9ghz quad core smartphone should behave.

maflynn
Apr 30, 2013, 05:52 AM
I'm assuming they mean the 'software' features such as smart stay, smart scroll, air gesture and air view. Basically all the features I had to disable / turn off in order to get the phone to actually perform like a 1.9ghz quad core smartphone should behave.

I'm sure they can download similar features if they're not included in the phone. Personally I don't like preinstalled bloat but that's me.

jrswizzle
Apr 30, 2013, 08:26 AM
What does this mean?

Run Geekbench 2 and it gives you four scores that make up the overall benchmark - one of which is the memory score (with regards to RAM performance).

Despite the supposedly inferior DDR2 RAM in the One, it beats the GS4 in this particular area. I only brought it up to disprove the theory that simply because the GS4 has LPDDR3 RAM that means its better.

Hell, the iPhone has always blown this category away even with generally less RAM. It's all about how the software and hardware integrate for maximum efficiency and performance.

Generally where Android phones outclass the iPhone (and in this case where the GS4 beats the One) is in the CPU scores - namely the Integer score.

But we should always take benchmarks for what they are....nothing more than a standard test that, while useful for comparing theoretical output, really has no bearing on real-life usage. Just as comparing a 1.9 gHZ processor to a 1.6 gHZ processor and saying the 1.9 is better has no bearing on real-life usage.

sentinelsx
Apr 30, 2013, 08:30 AM
I agree with you that HTC One is much better in build quality than any other device. but other than that its nothing. i am a type of guy who likes software more than the hardware and thats why i think S4 is better than the One.

And given how fast i usually tend to disable tons of bloatware on touchwizz devices, the software on S4 is nothing to write home about.

Moving my neck to scroll or palms to scroll hints on some sort of severe arthritis developing in the future. Some "natural UI" that is, of course. No wonder they included the S-health app lol :)

mattopotamus
Apr 30, 2013, 08:50 AM
And given how fast i usually tend to disable tons of bloatware on touchwizz devices, the software on S4 is nothing to write home about.

Moving my neck to scroll or palms to scroll hints on some sort of severe arthritis developing in the future. Some "natural UI" that is, of course. No wonder they included the S-health app lol :)

The swipe for back is ridiculously bad =/

MacRumorUser
Apr 30, 2013, 08:51 AM

Samsung invented a solution to a problem that no one was having. A solution that actually takes more time than the original. Gesturing like a demented loon to make a picture scroll is not easier than simple swiping the screen.

Whilst an argument could be made that this feature would be handy in a kitchen for example, I have to say to that NO.

If the phone was asleep / standby, you would still have to turn on the phone / unlock it / launch gallery / launch the photos you wanted to view.... Then wave your hand over it. ?? I mean really think about it. You have to press the screen / device at least 4 or 5 times before you can swipe over a photo so it just makes no sense.

Even still the fact that the gesture require an exagerated movement and there is noticeable delay between the camera recognising what you are actually doing meaning you'll often swipe again thinking it's missed what you want it to do is all just a complete mess.

If samsung wanted to protect the screen from messy hands then surely inventing a new screen protection / covering that made it water proof or extra tough and resilient to grease would have been a far better invention than air gestures.

A feature that barely works, and doesn't solve any real world problem, but when enabled causes real world issues (lag, extra memory usage, extra battery).

I give credit for Samsung trying to invent, but invention for invention sake, and one that doesn't solve the residing issue they are inventing it for - means it's all utterly moribund and redundant.

I like the S4 generally, but I wish samsung had considered user experience as a whole and pushing forward with improvements to the device that benefit all (such as maybe better speakers / better & tougher & oleophobic coated screen for example) without hurting the overall experience of the operating system is the sad truth.

Any feature that has to be turned off in order to preserve the general user experience should either not be there in the first place, or required far better integration with the system ui that it didn't affect it detrimentally.

sentinelsx
Apr 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
Samsung invented a solution to a problem that no one was having. A solution that actually takes more time than the original. Gesturing like a demented loon to make a picture scroll is not easier than simple swiping the screen.

Whilst an argument could be made that this feature would be handy in a kitchen for example, I have to say to that NO.

If the phone was asleep / standby, you would still have to turn on the phone / unlock it / launch gallery / launch the photos you wanted to view.... Then wave your hand over it. ?? I mean really think about it. You have to press the screen / device at least 4 or 5 times before you can swipe over a photo so it just makes no sense.

Even still the fact that the gesture require an exagerated movement and there is noticeable delay between the camera recognising what you are actually doing meaning you'll often swipe again thinking it's missed what you want it to do is all just a complete mess.

If samsung wanted to protect the screen from messy hands then surely inventing a new screen protection / covering that made it water proof or extra tough and resilient to grease would have been a far better invention than air gestures.

A feature that barely works, and doesn't solve any real world problem, but when enabled causes real world issues (lag, extra memory usage, extra battery).

I give credit for Samsung trying to invent, but invention for invention sake, and one that doesn't solve the residing issue they are inventing it for - means it's all utterly moribund and redundant.

I like the S4 generally, but I wish samsung had considered user experience as a whole and pushing forward with improvements to the device that benefit all (such as maybe better speakers / better & tougher & oleophobic coated screen for example) without hurting the overall experience of the operating system is the sad truth.

Any feature that has to be turned off in order to preserve the general user experience should either not be there in the first place, or required far better integration with the system ui that it didn't affect it detrimentally.

Yeah i remember our last year engineering project's professor's comments before letting us free to work:

"It is nice to make fun stuff, but it is much better to make stuff that is practical and will solve an actual need than create another problem." Wonder what samsung engineers think of that.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 30, 2013, 01:29 PM
Run Geekbench 2 and it gives you four scores that make up the overall benchmark...

Thanks for the explanation of what you meant! :)

jrswizzle
Apr 30, 2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation of what you meant! :)

No prob!