PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MacBook Air RAM?

hackerwayne
Apr 28, 2013, 07:06 AM
Recently a customer send in a MacBook Air Mid 2010 11" with inconstant start up problem. Some time it starts some time it doesn't.. (Probably 7 out of 10 times it doesn't). Once its started, its perfectly fine. When it doesn't start, it just gives 1 beep at start up (indicate no RAM installed). So this is what it shows when it started up. (see pictures) I suspect that one of the RAM chip is dead, its showing 1.75GB of RAM in System Profiler.

My question is, is it possible to tell the system skip the faulty RAM and boot the system. Cuz i know all other RAM chips are fine, probably 1 or 2 is dead.

Bear
Apr 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
You don't actually know what is faulty. Nor do you know when it may fail completely.

My suggestion would be finding out how much it would cost to repair. And then you can decide to live with it, repair it, or buy a new Air.

If you have AppleCare, then that should cover the repair.

hackerwayne
Apr 28, 2013, 01:08 PM
You don't actually know what is faulty. Nor do you know when it may fail completely.

My suggestion would be finding out how much it would cost to repair. And then you can decide to live with it, repair it, or buy a new Air.

If you have AppleCare, then that should cover the repair.

I do repairs, this is a customers laptop, he obviously does not have Apple Care thats why he sent it to me. Nor he has the money to replace the board. So hes asking if i can do anything bout it. It seemed like no.

oneMadRssn
Apr 29, 2013, 10:19 AM
You have isolated the issue as to having something to do with RAM, but I would not immediately jump to the conclusion that it's some failing RAM chips.

It could be the actual RAM chips or the memory controller (I forgot if it's in the north bridge on this generation of Intels or if it's integrated into the cpu). Additionally, it might not be any of those components but rather the etched circuitry / soldering connecting it all.

Are there are signs that the computer was dropped, or perhaps flexed? It won't help you fix it, but it might help explain the damage.

In the end, there is nothing you can do short of getting a new logic board.

On the bright side: I have had great success parting out macbooks before on ebay, and getting a very solid amount of money back. I bet if you sell the screen, the keyboard, the trackpad, the SSD, the fan, the housing, etc on ebay separately, you would get close to 75% of what it would be worth complete with a working logic board. I don't know if you also offer ebay-ing services to your customers, but it could help offset the cost of a new macbook air.

hackerwayne
May 3, 2013, 02:29 AM
You have isolated the issue as to having something to do with RAM, but I would not immediately jump to the conclusion that it's some failing RAM chips.

It could be the actual RAM chips or the memory controller (I forgot if it's in the north bridge on this generation of Intels or if it's integrated into the cpu). Additionally, it might not be any of those components but rather the etched circuitry / soldering connecting it all.

Are there are signs that the computer was dropped, or perhaps flexed? It won't help you fix it, but it might help explain the damage.

In the end, there is nothing you can do short of getting a new logic board.

On the bright side: I have had great success parting out macbooks before on ebay, and getting a very solid amount of money back. I bet if you sell the screen, the keyboard, the trackpad, the SSD, the fan, the housing, etc on ebay separately, you would get close to 75% of what it would be worth complete with a working logic board. I don't know if you also offer ebay-ing services to your customers, but it could help offset the cost of a new macbook air.

The MacBook was in pristine condition (No dents, drops, flexes). I actually bought the MacBook Air from the customer for parts. Ive reflowed the entire board with a BGA unit and its still the same. To actually fix it i need to know which chip is faulty so it can be replaced, or nor can i tell whether the memory controller is faulty. AHT displayed no trouble was found.

TC25
May 3, 2013, 05:41 AM
The MacBook was in pristine condition (No dents, drops, flexes). I actually bought the MacBook Air from the customer for parts. Ive reflowed the entire board with a BGA unit and its still the same. To actually fix it i need to know which chip is faulty so it can be replaced, or nor can i tell whether the memory controller is faulty. AHT displayed no trouble was found.

Why not just replace all the RAM chips versus spending time trying to determine which one is bad?

hackerwayne
May 3, 2013, 12:13 PM
Why not just replace all the RAM chips versus spending time trying to determine which one is bad?

Chances of failure is high. 1 RAM chip not put on correctly, gotta replace everything again to find out which is bad.