Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
So this shootout has only confirmed what I believed about the new display in the GS4. Is one heck of a display. Incredible color accuracy. Interesting that auto brightness increases the screens brightness beyond what is possible from manual setting it. So basically in bright sunlight, set it to auto. I've never use auto, so I'll have to look into this when I get my S4.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Is it just me or since the S4 release drew near we suddenly have lots of new accounts popping up that just praise the S4 and link to another site?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah a slew of newbies on an apple-centric site posting in a rather obscure sub-forum is always a little suspicious.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
So this shootout has only confirmed what I believed about the new display in the GS4. Is one heck of a display. Incredible color accuracy. Interesting that auto brightness increases the screens brightness beyond what is possible from manual setting it. So basically in bright sunlight, set it to auto. I've never use auto, so I'll have to look into this when I get my S4.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

If you look at the breakdown, the iPhone 5 is actually the better display :) The only part it loses out to the S4 is at the 30 degree viewing angle. The iphone either pretty much matches or exceeds the S4 in everything else.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
If you look at the breakdown, the iPhone 5 is actually the better display :) The only part it loses out to the S4 is at the 30 degree viewing angle. The iphone either pretty much matches or exceeds the S4 in everything else.

You seem to have a different opinion to the author of the test.

Quote;

The iPhone 5 is significantly brighter than the Galaxy S4, particularly for screens with mostly peak white backgrounds. Its color calibration is a bit better, although the Galaxy S4 has a more accurate White. The Galaxy S4 has a much bigger screen, higher resolution, higher PPI, much darker blacks, and better screen uniformity than the iPhone 5. They each have their own particular strengths and weaknesses, but if you scan our color coordinated Comparison Table below, both displays are quite good and comparable overall – so it’s currently a tie – we’ll see how they both evolve and improve in the next generation…

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
You seem to have a different opinion to the author of the test.

Quote;

The iPhone 5 is significantly brighter than the Galaxy S4, particularly for screens with mostly peak white backgrounds. Its color calibration is a bit better, although the Galaxy S4 has a more accurate White. The Galaxy S4 has a much bigger screen, higher resolution, higher PPI, much darker blacks, and better screen uniformity than the iPhone 5. They each have their own particular strengths and weaknesses, but if you scan our color coordinated Comparison Table below, both displays are quite good and comparable overall – so it’s currently a tie – we’ll see how they both evolve and improve in the next generation…

Yea, the iPhone 5 is also 8 months old. I am sure Apple will up their screen quality very soon :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Why are most of these replies skeptical about the original poster? The review wasn't biased, it had good information and I haven't seen another post about this topic.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why are most of these replies skeptical about the original poster? The review wasn't biased, it had good information and I haven't seen another post about this topic.

OP only ever seems to have made posts about the GS4 or how its better than its competitors.

Very strange for someone in a Mac-centric website.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
OP only ever seems to have made posts about the GS4 or how its better than its competitors.

Very strange for someone in a Mac-centric website.

You're right about that, but having seen the GS4 in person he is right about the screen, and the article was good.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

And this point is very crucial. Since we hold the phone using one hand our eyes are always looking at the screen at an angle. So you are more likely to get the brightness and color loss (plus the white "mist" due to backlight reflection) on the ip5. This can destroy the viewing quality on the iphone. Also, the contrast ratio gives the S4 a more stunning and vivid picture/screen. Lastly the most important factor is the much larger screen of the S4. These 3 factors alone are enough to make S4 screen much better in my book since these factors affect daily use (unlike a brighter screen which only matters when using outdoor, color accuracy is also not that important since most of the time we are not looking at photo but icons/images/gif/text etc)

Last edited:

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
You think that the iPhone 5S will have an upgraded screen?

How much more can they upgrade it? Assuming they're not changing the screen size, I don't see why they'd just up the resolution for the sake of it, and the LCD panel is already as good as it is going to get, imo anyway.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
How much more can they upgrade it? Assuming they're not changing the screen size, I don't see why they'd just up the resolution for the sake of it, and the LCD panel is already as good as it is going to get, imo anyway.

I was responding to johnjefferson's post, he seems to think that Apple will be updating their screen sometime soon, perhaps your question would be better answered by him. :)

TBH, I agree with you, to my eyes (old) there isn't much more that they can do with that size screen. I don't think that the 5S will get a larger screen, john will be along shortly, I'm sure to give us his take on it.:)

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Interesting. I didn't know the iPhone 5's screen was as good as it is. When I've compared it to my 4, I couldn't tell a difference.

Still, good to see display tech pushing on and Samsung is still pushing the envelope in more areas than just features, cpu and camera.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Interesting. I didn't know the iPhone 5's screen was as good as it is. When I've compared it to my 4, I couldn't tell a difference.

Still, good to see display tech pushing on and Samsung is still pushing the envelope in more areas than just features, cpu and camera.

ehh....there is a big difference in the saturation between the 4/4S and the 5. The colors have way more pop.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
The following images show the difference between the S4, iPhone5 and HTC One. The images are in that order as well. When you look at the screens, it is very apparent that the One has the best display, the S4 is a close second and the iPhone5 looks like it belongs in a 1980's Atari game.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I can't speak from experience about the GS4 - though I've read great things about the display that say SAMOLED is finally catching up to IPS LCDs in terms of color reproduction accuracy.

I will say though, as an owner of both the iPhone 5 and the HTC One - the increased PPI of the One does little to enhance the display quality. While it is somewhat noticeable, it is by no means a huge difference. I would say its less of a difference than pre-retina iPads to retina iPads and many people couldn't tell the difference there (and I think they're insane....).

Anyways, as far as display quality goes, I think the market is plateauing. Displays can get more color accurate (though the iPhone 5, HTC One and GS4 are all pretty close to max) and more power efficient, but I think it's safe to say, simply increasing the PPI from here on out will be just another marketing ploy to make one's phone seem better than the others' when the reality is no added benefit to the end user.

EDIT: As for Assault's pictures above me, I'd venture a guess to say most (if not all) won't be zooming in to see every individual pixel - ever.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Display quality for my old eyes is not actually that important, reading from a normal distance I would not be able to see pixels no matter what phone is in front of me. :)

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
The following images show the difference between the S4, iPhone5 and HTC One. The images are in that order as well. When you look at the screens, it is very apparent that the One has the best display, the S4 is a close second and the iPhone5 looks like it belongs in a 1980's Atari game.

Don't understand this comparison at all. Even if you held your phone against your eye your wouldn't see pixels at this level.

Display quality for my old eyes is not actually that important, reading from a normal distance I would not be able to see pixels no matter what phone is in front of me. :)

Ya it's actually the opposite, where display quality/pixel density gets more distinguished by people w/ exquisite eye sight (not me either =D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.