PDA

View Full Version : Hi, my name is John, I'm an Apple Hardware Junky

MacTruck
Oct 26, 2005, 10:41 PM
I have to buy every new thing apple puts out. Got 3 ipods, powerbook, 2 mac minis, dual G5, ordered a quad last week. I have never loved a hardware company so much. The things apple puts out are amazing. I have been waiting my whole life for great tech gadgets and apple keeps making me pull out my credit card.

Any other people out there want to join Appleholics anonymous?

God Bless you Apple, and Damn you too as I am going broke. :D

mcarnes
Oct 26, 2005, 10:51 PM
I hope you've found a way to use it all as a tax write off. :p

I have. And upgrading every year has never looked better. Out with the old (ebay) in with the new to keep the old AGI down. he he.

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 10:53 PM
*raises hand* :o

Lacero
Oct 26, 2005, 10:55 PM
Apple products are not nearly as addictive as when you mix it with macrumors.com. Then it's a deadly combination. :(

SummerBreeze
Oct 26, 2005, 10:59 PM
I prefer the term Macaholic, or credit card putting away impaired.

igucl
Oct 26, 2005, 11:02 PM

I have. And upgrading every year has never looked better. Out with the old (ebay) in with the new to keep the old AGI down. he he.

Is that for AGI, or from AGI? Sorry, I just got home from my tax class.

jsw
Oct 26, 2005, 11:03 PM
Apple products are not nearly as addictive as when you mix it with macrumors.com. Then it's a deadly combination. :(
Actually, I find that MR makes it harder to buy Apple products... knowing that something better is always on the way (and hearing ALL the "faults" with every single item they release). I'm still saving my dimes for that G5 PB! ;)

MR, though... that's an addiction.:o

Clix Pix
Oct 26, 2005, 11:08 PM
Yep, I'd say I definitely fall into this category, too -- buying two new Macs (iMac and PB) in two weeks definitely suggests that I've VERY quickly become hooked. To think that only a couple weeks ago I hadn't even used a Mac before....

OTB

FFTT
Oct 26, 2005, 11:33 PM
I'm fighting the temptation to get a PowerBook every day.

I have a great Rev B dual 2.0 G5 ( 8 DIMM )
My 300 MHz G3 still works flawlessly.
I just blew $1000 on a new M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
and I'm getting ProTools 7 M-Powered.

Even so, I want a portable that is capable of connecting to my Dell 24" display.

If the iBooks had DVI out, I'd be fine, but NO, have to get a PowerBook
just to have that connectivity, but the 12" is so small and it doesn't have
the same audio support that the 15"s do. Oh and new display and better GPU and backlit KB and everything I want in a laptop and now it's cheaper
too.

I'm losing it!

wwooden
Oct 26, 2005, 11:44 PM
I find that MR only feeds my addiction and obsession. Seeing what others have for stuff kinda brings out my competitive nature, it's sad, but it does happen. :)

p0intblank
Oct 26, 2005, 11:51 PM
Yes, Apple is very addicting, and expensive at that! While I only have an iPod and PowerBook at this time (along with other peripherals and accessories), I am still very addicted. I choose which products of their's to buy wisely. The following is what I am buying next, in order:

Apple Cinema Display 23-inch
Apple iPod 60GB
Power Mac G5 Quad (with credit that I hope to acquire... :p)

Like I said, it's an expensive hobby, but so worth it. :D I'm glad I made the switch to the Mac a year ago. I have never been so addicted to a company's products before. Probably my most favorite thing about being an Apple fan is looking forward to their next announcements and never knowing what lies ahead. :cool:

FFTT
Oct 26, 2005, 11:59 PM
I justify my expenditures this way........

A lot of guys my age certainly NEED to go out and spend $50,000
( using a 2nd mortgage ) to get a new BMW Z4.

So what's the big deal if I get a few new goodies

As far as I'm concerned, I deserve to spend a few $1000 every once in a while if it makes me a happier person.

Still losing it!

rt_brained
Oct 27, 2005, 04:15 AM
(in unison) Hi, John.

maddav
Oct 27, 2005, 04:27 AM
I would be, if I could afford all the hardware!!

tsaxer
Oct 27, 2005, 04:50 AM
Does the fact that I clicked this thread to see if anyone had any cool ideas of what I could buy next make me an Appleholic? :D

Chaszmyr
Oct 27, 2005, 04:59 AM
I definitely deserve a spot on the list.

InfiniteLoop1
Oct 27, 2005, 05:25 AM

Solution: Swot credits card with me, and i promise you will not have that problem!

GroundLoop
Oct 27, 2005, 06:00 AM
I am not addicted to upgrading my hardware. I have lived by this rule...

I may only upgrade my computer when the new hardware's performance is double that of my current computer.

Since I have a 1.25 GHz PB now, I am guessing that the new Intel PBs will be at least double the performance.

But I do agree that MacRumors makes it harder for me not to upgrade.

Hickman

combatcolin
Oct 27, 2005, 06:38 AM
New house, lots of things to fix, .... and yet POWERMAC DUAL CORE G5 drool...

MacTruck
Oct 27, 2005, 09:18 AM
I told my wife I was going to sell my current G5 to get the quad but now I secretly don't want to. I want them both. She said how many ipods do you need, I said ALL of them. I'm trying to tell her its an addiction. But I guess I have to sell something. I want to sell my powerbook because its the slowest but I use that portability often. I do tons of video so the faster the better. You know no computer if fast enough for this. If a job takes 12 hrs and you get a G5 its down to 8 and if you get the quad its down to 4 but its still 4 damn hrs. When will this stuff be done in 1 minute? Thats what I am waiting for but ofcourse on my Death Bed apple will release the greatest product.

OH DEAR GOD DON"T LET ME DIE ON A TUESDAY.

pionata
Oct 27, 2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah about the tax off thing.

I just noticed that when I bought my ibook (1800$can back then with taxes, mouse and maxed out ram) and deduced it from my work expenses, it reduce my overall salary by almost 2000$, wich I got back in scolarship the year after becose the ammount of loan-scolarship is based on your salary. So this year I'm going for the cinema 23" and I didnt choose the desktop yet. The more I buy, the less loan I have and the more free money I get!

Im doing this since they decided to cut our scolarship by 2000 a year, Its my way to get back at them and finish with the less dept as possible.

yoak
Oct 27, 2005, 09:38 AM
OH DEAR GOD DON"T LET ME DIE ON A TUESDAY.

:D :D :D That made my day.
Im sitting on the fence for a new iMac, just need to get people to pay what they owe me. Hate having to wait for money:mad:

dmw007
Oct 27, 2005, 09:53 AM
I too am a Mac Addict.....

.....but I will never change my ways! :)

dmw007
Oct 27, 2005, 09:53 AM
But I didn't make it through the last round of iBook updates, and of course, the nano buzz. :p

Some things are just too good to resist! :)

iSaint
Oct 27, 2005, 12:02 PM
(in unison) Hi, John.

lol, great! Exactly what I was thinking!

VanMac
Oct 27, 2005, 12:13 PM
I have to buy every new thing apple puts out. Got 3 ipods, powerbook, 2 mac minis, dual G5, ordered a quad last week. I have never loved a hardware company so much. The things apple puts out are amazing. I have been waiting my whole life for great tech gadgets and apple keeps making me pull out my credit card.

Any other people out there want to join Appleholics anonymous?

I've been an apple fan for the last 6 years. I love everything they make. Instead of buying their hardware, I've been buying stock. Lost money at first, but it has been on a pretty good swing. Finally bought my first hardware this year (see sig), and will be buying more in the months to come. Apple is a great company.

Macabron
Oct 27, 2005, 12:34 PM
I work with after effects and I'm just startiting to learn maya, this is what I love to do, but for the past couple years it's been more of an expensive hobby. I hope to change that in the next couple of weeks. I was away for a couple months so I decided to get an iMac so I could use iChat with my wife, when I got back she wanted me to get rid of the extra computer but after a month she got used to it, I sold it. And now she doesnt want me to spend the money i got from it so I can get her a powerbook! And right now I'm trying to get someone to buy my powerMac so I can get the quad! Expensive if you put it together with my photography "hobby". The other shutterbugs will have to agree with me that you can never have enough lenses!!

Any way, my name is Ramn and I am a Macaholic! :cool:

crazzyeddie
Oct 27, 2005, 12:36 PM

I have.

What sort of ingenuous tax shelter have you come up with?

sparky76
Oct 27, 2005, 12:43 PM
I have bought in the last few years a 17" PB (Rev A), a 12" PB Rev B, a dual 2.5GHz PowerMac, a Mac Mini, a 30GB iPod, a 40GB iPod, a 60GB iPod, an iPod Shuffle a 4GB iPod mini, a 4GB iPod nano, a 23" Apple Cinema Display, OS X Panther and Tiger, Wireless keyboard and mouse, 2 wired keyboards and iLife 04 and 05 from Apple. Do I qualify?

Doozy
Oct 27, 2005, 01:05 PM
The hardest part of any addiction are the effects such an addiction has on the ones you love.

If my Apple purchases didn't drive my fiancee totally nuts, I would buy more items. Although, I do have to pry her away from the iMac all the time.

She rolls her eyes everytime she sees an ipod ad on TV, because I have to reminder her that my ipod is broken :mad: and I have misplaced my shuffle. :(

You all have my support.

katie ta achoo
Oct 27, 2005, 01:09 PM
MR, though... that's an addiction.:o

So, how many posts do I make per day?
*sees big number*
Hoooo... sheez....

Well, a MR addiction is better than, say, a chocolate addiction! You don't gain any weight!

/Anyone wanna buy cookies?
//I'll do mail order cookies to raise money for vienna.

jsw
Oct 27, 2005, 01:10 PM
So, how many posts do I make per day?
*sees big number*
Hoooo... sheez....
Amateur. By 0.02 posts/day. As of right now... ;)

katie ta achoo
Oct 27, 2005, 01:33 PM
Amateur. By 0.02 posts/day. As of right now... ;)

I BEG TO DIFFER!

I wonder how much time I've wasted on MR...

oh well, none of it was wasted-- I enjoyed every minute of it!

/Hi, I'm KT and I'm addicted to MR
//I put VBCode in emails
///BUT JSW DOES IT TO!
////*points finger accusingly* that one! Him! right there!

jsw
Oct 27, 2005, 01:35 PM
//I put VBCode in emails
///BUT JSW DOES IT TO!
////*points finger accusingly* that one! Him! right there!
It's true. I do. :o

Sad, really... because sometimes I send it without even noticing.....

MacsRgr8
Oct 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
I was smoke addicted.... I quit that about 8 years ago....no prob (* cough *... well nearly no prob)

I still am AppleAddicted.... they say there is no cure. Got 25 Macs at home.... and don't know why. They just "got here". They are so cute... I can't get rid of them. I had to restrain myself: "QUAD... QUAD... YOU WANT THAT QUAD!!" :eek:
But then I looked at my wallet, shaking my head. The Dual 1.8 just has to last a little longer. Like John, I won't sell it either. None of my Macs.... You don't sell a friend do you??
But I am happy with my 60 GB iPod.... at least I bought some Apple hardware this past couple of weeks... otherwise I had to go into therapy... :o

is there a AppleAnonymous line anywhere?? Or is this it.

Macrumors makes it worse.... all you lot make my addction worse....

Gotta love it here!! :) :cool:

Pistol Pete
Oct 27, 2005, 03:55 PM
:D :D :D That made my day.
Im sitting on the fence for a new iMac, just need to get people to pay what they owe me. Hate having to wait for money:mad:

mine too...lol

biohazard6969
Oct 27, 2005, 04:08 PM
i always have a yearning for the new apple products, i'd LOVE to have a powermac, and i COULD but i wouldn't have a display with it :o thats why i got the iMac, i want to possibly get into hardcore video editing and stuff, but don't have the money for that beefy Quad Powermac *wipes away drool* i WISH i could get it ALL!!!

jadekitty24
Oct 27, 2005, 07:02 PM
I'm most definitely an addict. Unfortunately I cant afford to be buying new hardware all the time. I have 2 800 mhz G3 iBooks running 10.2.8. One has 256 ram, the other 386. I really want 10.4 and 512 ram, airport would be nice, and since all this is stock on the new iBooks I am fighting the temptation to buy new. What I have does the trick...I don't need much seeing how all I do is surf the net, listen to music and store my photos with my computer. Still, this stupid ethernet cord is bugging me and I would love the new os...upgrading wouldn't really make any more sense than buying a new iBook
must......fight..........temptation