PDA

View Full Version : Found iPod: Can Apple tell me owner w/ SN?

deeridiot
Oct 26, 2005, 11:41 PM
I found an iPod (3G, 15GB) at my university. I would like to return it to its rightful owner (though thoughts of keeping it did creep into my mind...), but I don't simply want to take it to the university police. I'm wondering if I get the serial number whether Apple's tech support could tell me the registered owner (if any). My uni's website has a function to search email addresses of students and faculty.

I would just like to try to get it to the right person. They probably aren't registered anyway, but worth a try and better than some creep claiming it.

Thanks.

Josh396
Oct 27, 2005, 12:27 AM
Doing the right thing... I'm impressed. I don't really know if they'll be willing to get involved but they may. I would just try to turn it in at a student center of some sort. Good luck.

shidoshi
Oct 27, 2005, 12:29 AM
You could also see if there are any contacts on the iPod, and contact one of those people to ask if they know anybody who has lost an iPod recently.

IndyGopher
Oct 27, 2005, 12:32 AM
CAN Apple tell you? Of course. WILL Apple tell you? Of course not. Would you want them to? Let's examine the possibilities.

Caller: "I found this iPod, could you tell me who it belongs to?"

Caller wants to know because:
A. He is a good person who wants to return it.
B. He is stalking the person he swiped it from.
C. He found naked pictures of his wife on it and wants to kill the owner.
D. He stole it/shoplifted it and wants to know if Apple can tell

Apple of course has no way of knowing which (if any) of these statements are true (or any number of other possible scenarios).

If you really want to return it to the owner, try looking in the contacts for their vcard.

iSaint
Oct 27, 2005, 12:40 AM
My brother-in-law lost his in Atlanta. Is it a color? I can't remember the gig size, 30 I think.

WillMak
Oct 27, 2005, 12:55 AM
Just leave a note taped on the wall of where you found the ipod. "Ipod found here. email: xxxxx proof of ownership required."

nagromme
Oct 27, 2005, 01:12 AM
Proof of ownership would be pretty simple: they'd just have to name some less-common songs on it :)

Good for you, trying to find the owner. If that fails, you could turn it in to the lost and found with a note listing some of the more unusual songs. That would encourage the lost and found NOT to just give it to the scammer who comes in twice a day to say "I lost my iPod" :p

Ja Di ksw
Oct 27, 2005, 01:38 AM
Very nice of you to do the right thing. Perhaps this will solve the problem of Apple possibly not telling you who it belongs to.

Tell Apple that you have it, give them your e-mail. They can e-mail the owner, and if s/he knows that it is just lost and not you being some crazy ax wielding maniac, she can e-mail you so you two can arrange a meeting.

You're not an ax wielding maniac, are you?

SummerBreeze
Oct 27, 2005, 02:27 AM
It's great that you're doing the right thing. Does your university have an online groups (facebook, livejournal, etc.)? We have a livejournal group, and people often post that they've found keys and phones. I'd say put messages up anywhere you can, (on campus and online). If someone has been looking for it they'll probably be happy to see the sign somewhere.

maxterpiece
Oct 27, 2005, 03:35 AM
It is more likely to get "lost" than found at the lost and found. Reserve the lost and found for lost ID cards and sweatshirts. Not iPods. MOst people aren't as, well, good as you are.

I like the idea of putting a sign and asking for some odd songs on it. It may run out of power before long though, no? Do you have a charger that it is compatible with?

I think if you make the effort to find the owner and s/he doesn't turn up, then it's yours.

Also, I'm not sure where you're located, but you could try posting it on craigslist.org. They have a lost+found section, but be prepared to get a lot of spam.

Oh and 1 final thought, if you leave your ipod on it's default name, it is usual like "John Doe's iPod", no? Maybe if you plug it in and see what it's named, you'll be able to find the person's name.

chucknorris
Oct 27, 2005, 03:44 AM
It's mine. I promise. White? Chrome finish on the back?

Yeah, definitely mine. Please pm me and I'll give you the address to mail it to.

rt_brained
Oct 27, 2005, 04:06 AM
No advice, just a nod and quiet applause. I would have done the exact thing and had the same concern.

Now, if the person who broke into my office last month and stole my stereo was half the person...

Actually, if I found out who did it, I would make them half a person.

rt_brained
Oct 27, 2005, 04:12 AM
It's mine. I promise. White? Chrome finish on the back?

Yeah, definitely mine. Please pm me and I'll give you the address to mail it to.
Note to self: Never lose anything in or around the vicinity of Moscow, ID.

deeridiot
Oct 27, 2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I was guessing that Apple probably couldn't help me out here, but I think these ideas might work.

The iPod has almost default name (ie: "Jane's iPod," but no last name.) Someone showing me their ID to prove the first name and knowning the obscure songs should do the trick. I also like the idea of posting a sign where it was found.

I've got an iPod of my own, so I can charge it to check what music and/or contacts are on it.

Thanks everyone.

I'll post back with what happens.

Squonk
Oct 28, 2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I was guessing that Apple probably couldn't help me out here, but I think these ideas might work.

The iPod has almost default name (ie: "Jane's iPod," but no last name.) Someone showing me their ID to prove the first name and knowning the obscure songs should do the trick. I also like the idea of posting a sign where it was found.

I've got an iPod of my own, so I can charge it to check what music and/or contacts are on it.

Thanks everyone.

I'll post back with what happens.

Jane huh? That narrows it down some...

I liked the suggestion of using Apple as the middleman to contact the owner.

Regardless, good for you for trying to do the right thing. "iPods - bringing out the best in people..."