PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] Just played with a Microsoft Surface today...

XboxMySocks
Apr 29, 2013, 09:01 AM
Does the charger look familiar to anyone else?!

identity
Apr 29, 2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/microsoft-magnetic-patent-application/

xraydoc
Apr 29, 2013, 06:53 PM
Apple also has applied for a patent on a MagSafe-like device with power and data connectivity. It was a news post here like a year ago or so. I wonder which (MS or Apple) was first.

Dr McKay
Apr 29, 2013, 07:02 PM
Apple also has applied for a patent on a MagSafe-like device with power and data connectivity. It was a news post here like a year ago or so. I wonder which (MS or Apple) was first.

Surely Apple patented a specific type/method of magsafe, perhaps MS's is different.

watchthisspace
Apr 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
The shock! The horror! oh wait, it's a power/data connector. :P

blackhand1001
Apr 30, 2013, 12:09 PM
That magnetic type plug was used in older Japanese appliances years before apple used it.

GoCubsGo
Apr 30, 2013, 12:13 PM
But what did you think if the device itself? Honestly, it looks fairly neat to me and every time someone uses one, they dance. I want to dance.

MuffCabbage
Apr 30, 2013, 04:41 PM
But what did you think if the device itself? Honestly, it looks fairly neat to me and every time someone uses one, they dance. I want to dance.

Just ran into someone using a Surface RT and asked how he liked it. He said he likes it and its really useful for him. Then I pulled out my Samsung Ativ 500T and we broke out in dance.

I gotta say the Surface being used with the touch cover looks way slicker than an iPad.

AC Rempt
May 6, 2013, 12:45 AM
The problem with the connector is that isn't enough like the MagSafe connector. When the MagSafe gets into range, it's drawn to the computer, making it a great deal easier to plug in. With the Surface, I really have to maneuver the connector just right for it to snap into place.

It's ironic that they taut how easily the keyboards snap into place when I rarely remove me, but the power cord gets lots of use.

MuffCabbage
May 6, 2013, 04:25 PM
The problem with the connector is that isn't enough like the MagSafe connector. When the MagSafe gets into range, it's drawn to the computer, making it a great deal easier to plug in. With the Surface, I really have to maneuver the connector just right for it to snap into place.

It's ironic that they taut how easily the keyboards snap into place when I rarely remove me, but the power cord gets lots of use.

Yeah that was a big issue people had with the RT version. Ive heard the Pro is better, but I dunno how they missed that detail when they made such a big deal about the keyboard magnets, as you mentioned.

PhoneI
May 6, 2013, 07:52 PM

Yep, I have same issue. Nothing more frustrating than a computer that's runs out of power when you think you have it plugged in.