Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
I have a 2012 Mac Pro, 4 2TB drives, and the ATTO R608 RAID controller. The MP is running the latest version of OS X server and using all latest ATTO drivers and firmware. Unfortunately, the server regularly crashes with the RAID controller throwing various errors ( heartbeat failed, bus reset, insufficient resources, etc ).

I have been working with ATTO Since mid-February and their latest stance is that there isn't anything wrong with the card?!

The reason I bought this ATTO card is because there were so many positive reviews, but I am not regretting the purchase.

Is anyone else having issues with this card?

tia,
Bill

ortholing

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Planet Terra
Problems with ATTO

I have a 2012 Mac Pro, 4 2TB drives, and the ATTO R608 RAID controller. The MP is running the latest version of OS X server and using all latest ATTO drivers and firmware. Unfortunately, the server regularly crashes with the RAID controller throwing various errors ( heartbeat failed, bus reset, insufficient resources, etc ).

I have been working with ATTO Since mid-February and their latest stance is that there isn't anything wrong with the card?!

The reason I bought this ATTO card is because there were so many positive reviews, but I am not regretting the purchase.

tia,
Bill

HI Bill,
I have the same issues as you do... I have contacted ATTO support many times- no luck so far.
Now I have changed to the Areca 1880X (SAS-SATA RAID controller)- and everything is fine.
One of the minor problems I had with the ATTO card was that the fan control demon accelerated the PCI fan to 2900 RPM- this was too loud for me- but ATTO told me that the card needs this airflow to prevent it from overheating and causing malfunctions. With the Areca card I have a silent MacPro ( it has its own fan) and everything is fine. I plan to sell the ATTO card. Perhaps it will work better on a PC?

ortholing

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Planet Terra
ATTO's info about overheating

tia,
Bill

Here is the PDF file concerning the overheating problems:
ATTO will not use built-in fans on the controller cards...

Attachments

• Technical-Bulletin-Overcoming-Thermal-Issues-with-ESAS-RAID.pdf
    354.4 KB · Views: 219

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
As mentioned in the pdf, I use a pcie fan to blow directly on my R644
Zero heating issues!
But then again it's not used as a server. On 12hrs max

Attachments

• Vantec Fan.jpg
    Vantec Fan.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 114
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.