PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Commercial Pits Apple Against Samsung to Tout Windows Phone

MacRumors
Apr 29, 2013, 12:13 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/29/microsoft-commercial-pits-apple-against-samsung-to-tout-windows-phone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/nokia.jpgMicrosoft has introduced a new commercial (via The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/29/4281894/new-windows-phone-ad-samsung-vs-apple-wedding-fight)) that plays on the ongoing conflict between Samsung and Apple. In the spot, iPhone and Samsung enthusiasts interrupt a wedding with a heated argument over which phone is better.

"Would you mind moving your enormous phone?" an iPhone owner asks a Galaxy user, who goes on to call it "enormously awesome." This kicks off an all out brawl, where insults like "iSheep" and "Copybox" are traded back and forth.

Two Nokia Lumia 920 owners stand by the sidelines, where one asks "You think if they knew about the Nokia Lumia they'd stop fighting all the time?" "I don't know," the other replies. "I think they kind of like fighting." The commercial, which strays away from mentioning specific phone features, positions the Windows Phone as a clear alternative to the iPhone and the Galaxy line, ending with the line "Don't fight. Switch."

Z19vR1GldRI
The Lumia line, which first debuted (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/26/nokia-unveils-first-lumia-phones-based-on-windows-phone-7-5/) in late 2011, sports Microsoft's Windows and marked Nokia's shift away from Symbian. The company's flagship phone, the Nokia Lumia 920, comes in a range of bright colors and sports a 4.5-inch screen, a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, and 1GB of RAM.

A recently conducted survey (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/26/customer-loyalty-could-drive-iphone-market-share-gains-for-years/) shows that Microsoft has a lot of work to do to convince smartphone users to choose its phones over those offered by Samsung and Apple. Microsoft is predicted to show a small amount of growth over the next few years, but is expected to remain dwarfed by iOS and Android phone sales well into the future.

Article Link: Microsoft Commercial Pits Apple Against Samsung to Tout Windows Phone (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/29/microsoft-commercial-pits-apple-against-samsung-to-tout-windows-phone/)

Simplicated
Apr 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
That's really funny, especially the "iSheep" and "copybox" parts :D

SamGabbay
Apr 29, 2013, 12:20 PM
Not going to lie, that superman/apple tattoo move at the end really got me haha

Ice-Cube
Apr 29, 2013, 12:20 PM
That's only cos Microsoft isn't even worth fighting for.

funtime180
Apr 29, 2013, 12:21 PM
Now THATS an add!!!!

spyguy10709
Apr 29, 2013, 12:21 PM
You think if they knew about the Lumia's lack of developer support, functionality, and MS Paint interface, they'd switch?

FTFY

roar08
Apr 29, 2013, 12:22 PM
This is a fantastic commercial.

CGagnon
This'll definitely work! Great ad, Microsoft.

:rolleyes:

Phil A.
That's definitely one of the funniest phone adverts I've seen for a long time :)

cmwade77
Apr 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
You think that if they knew that Nokia is about to go bankrupt, they would switch?

I mean really, this is not a good move in my opinion.

Codyak
Looks like Nokia and MS have been reading Engadget comments.

Simplicated

Might or might not work, but at least they got a lot of exposure. Much like how Samesung got the exposure in the first place by constantly ridiculing Apple.

chuckd83
I guess the Microsoft marketing folks never heard "any publicity is good publicity."

alksion
Apr 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
Must of read through the comment section on Engadget for inspiration in this commercial ;)

Amazing Iceman
Apr 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
That's definitely one of the funniest phone adverts I've seen for a long time :)

Yes, a very original ad. Very well thought, and very funny. It's worth saving for posterity.

I wonder who's in charge of this Ad Campaign.

Sadly, the Windows phone is only good to throw out the window. :D

Tiger8
Apr 29, 2013, 12:29 PM
But I'm still not getting a windows phone :D

They are in the discount bin already, Lumia 920 for $450, HTC 8x for $350

hlfway2anywhere
i like how prevalent the Apple logo was over all else.

MacHiavelli
In a room full of people, only two people have MS phones and they're the domestics. Not a great message for an advert.

fel10
Apr 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
Better than any ad Apple has put out in the last few years.

applesith
Apr 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
Funny ad. Too bad no one is buying the Lumia.

baryon
Apr 29, 2013, 12:32 PM
Is it even legal to directly refer to companies other than yours in an advert? I've never seen ads that do this, at least not on TV!

Mindfield
Apr 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
This ad totally rocks! :D

iglobe
In a room full of people, only two people have MS phones and they're the domestics. Not a great message for an advert.

same here:D

iSolidus
Hilarious ad. The Super-Apple-man ripping his shirt cracked me up!

nwcs
Apr 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
Is it even legal to directly refer to companies other than yours in an advert? I've never seen ads that do this, at least not on TV!

So you haven't seen ads for insurance companies lately? They mention other companies in comparison all the time.

Squilly
Apr 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a Samsung-copier-ad. :rolleyes:
I really enjoyed that commercial though.

BreuerEditor
Apr 29, 2013, 12:41 PM
Now THATS an add!!!!

That's actually an "ad". :rolleyes: And yes...it was funny, but the only product I'll buy from Microsoft is Office.

daneoni
Apr 29, 2013, 12:43 PM
"Is there an app for that?"

Probably not since you're on Windows Phone.

Liquorpuki
Apr 29, 2013, 12:46 PM
I guess the Microsoft marketing folks never heard "any publicity is good publicity."

I think this is the first commercial in a long time that isn't a MS marketing fail

afd
Apr 29, 2013, 12:46 PM
Didn't even make me smile.

cambox
Apr 29, 2013, 12:47 PM
Apple sit up and learn! Thats how you do commercials!

CEmajr
Apr 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
Great commercial. One of the best I've seen in a while and it accurately portrays iPhone and Android stigmas. Good job.

Ryth
Apr 29, 2013, 12:48 PM

Problem is that the "isheep' is such a weak argument.

Calling people sheep because they use the best, highest rated, most reliable and so on product is pretty stupid all around.

simply stunning
Apr 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
This was pretty funny, and good for a laugh in the middle of the day.

ladeer
Apr 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
Before even playing the video I saw the still and asked myself, wait so the people who use Windows phones are the waiters?! What message does it send....?
Otherwise it was kind of funny but a bit over the top, like their Surface commercial, trying too too hard.

5kylar
Apr 29, 2013, 01:00 PM
Great commercial, 10 for creativity and humor :D ...But I'm sticking with my iPhone, and my jailbreak, and the fights. All you docile people can grab a Windows phone and have fun with your 10 whole apps :P One of my best friends has this phone and she hates the darn thing. When I used her phone I was nothing but confused... Kinda like the first time I turned on Win8 lol.

mono1980
Apr 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
It's a funny ad, but why would it make you want to buy a Windows Phone?

John.B
Apr 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
Anyone remember that guy with the Zune tat?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/24251/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

flottenheimer
Apr 29, 2013, 01:07 PM
Have any of you guys experienced many (real) people arguing over which smartphone is the best — outside the tech/nerd sphere?

Where I live (Denmark), it is illegal.

Hastings101
Apr 29, 2013, 01:08 PM
Lol, I think it's great.

SockRolid
Apr 29, 2013, 01:09 PM
Microsoft is predicted to show a small amount of growth over the next few years, but is expected to remain dwarfed by iOS and Android phone sales well into the future.

Ya don't say.

So it doesn't really matter how funny Microsoft's Lumia ads are.
Welcome to the New World Order, Ballmer.

Doctor Q
Apr 29, 2013, 01:13 PM
Since they'll have trouble finding a real customer who wants to swtich, Microsoft should hire Wes Rataushk & Associates for another fake switch ad (http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2002/10/55785)!

OtherJesus
I give MS major props for this commercial. But it's just a commercial and not me buying their phones.

Shaun, UK
Must of read through the comment section on Engadget for inspiration in this commercial ;)

LOL You're absolutely right. They get so heated on there. Great ad. :D

Razeus
Apr 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
I still dislike the bizarre Windows 8 interface.

Karma*Police
Apr 29, 2013, 01:17 PM
Looks like it was "inspired" by Samsung ads poking fun at iPhone users.

ChazUK
Apr 29, 2013, 01:25 PM
I saw the funny side of it. :D Good and from MS.

WoodNUFC
Apr 29, 2013, 01:27 PM
Great ad! Well done by Nokia, Microsoft, et al.

genovelle
Apr 29, 2013, 01:32 PM
I agree. The other funny part is the were hundreds of the other phones but only two windows phones.

jayducharme
Apr 29, 2013, 01:39 PM
It's sort of funny in places but IMO ultimately meaningless, just like their infamous Shoe Circus ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SiBBi35zKY&playnext=1&list=PL0D712F007411A8A5). It does more to advertise devices by Apple and Samsung. The only thing about Nokia and Microsoft that I learn from this is that their phones are brightly colored and their owners are smug.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 29, 2013, 01:43 PM

It's completely legal, but you normally don't because a lot of people buy products based on name recognition alone, and so companies don't mention eachother's by name lest they inadvertently canabalize their own sells.

Everyone already knows what an iPhone is, and a lot of people already know about Samsung, so Microsoft can't hurt themselves by acknowledging the existence of competitive products.

Renzatic
Apr 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
Problem is that the "isheep' is such a weak argument.

Calling people sheep because they use the best, highest rated, most reliable and so on product is pretty stupid all around.

They're not really calling Apple fans iSheep, you know. They're playing off the whole overly defensive brand war fans moreso than making fun of people for using a specific product.

And if you think it's ridiculous, just look at your post.

larrybeo
Apr 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
We really all agree that this was a funny commercial? I'm shocked! :)

----------

It's completely legal, but you normally don't because a lot of people buy products based on name recognition alone, and so companies don't mention eachother's by name lest they inadvertently canabalize their own sells.

Everyone already knows what an iPhone is, and a lot of people already know about Samsung, so Microsoft can't hurt themselves by acknowledging the existence of competitive products.

It is illegal to say something that isn't true about a brand other than your own.

Anti-Lucifer
Apr 29, 2013, 01:49 PM
If you are intelligent enough to decipher the ad message, you will realize there are a ton of iPhone and a ton of samsung users (not even mentioning google, just samsung). What the ad fails is that only those two waiters have windows phones. LOL. That about sums up the entire microsoft mobile phone market.

Bhatu
Apr 29, 2013, 01:50 PM
Dear Microsoft

"Spectating" - So that's the human centric approach you about to follow? But I think your ad actually highlighted best features of both iPhone and Galaxy.

Come on Microsoft! Grow Up!!

Sincerely,
A not so fool Consumer :cool:

bbeagle
Apr 29, 2013, 01:52 PM

It's definitely legal to refer to other companies directly. However, most companies don't, because just mentioning the other company's name is free advertisement of sorts for them. Usually only if you're last place do you mention other companies.

Notice that Geico never mentions other companies by name directly. But Progressive and All-state do.

The only thing you're NOT allowed to do is lie about the competition. You can say something like 'The Microsoft phone is better than the Samsung phone', because 'better' is subjective. You can't, however say 'The Samsung phone doesn't have a camera, but ours does', because that is clearly a lie.

Barlisbre
Apr 29, 2013, 02:00 PM
The ad is somewhat funny, but using the "switch" theme is such an obvious ripoff of Apple's decade old campaign. Typical MS.

Renzatic
Apr 29, 2013, 02:08 PM
The ad is somewhat funny, but using the "switch" theme is such an obvious ripoff of Apple's decade old campaign. Typical MS.

How is this a ripoff of anything Apple's done?

jtrenda33
Apr 29, 2013, 02:12 PM

Pretty sure all the wireless carriers bash each other by name on TV.

Oohara
Apr 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
Well I'll be damned that was actually funny as hell.

zin
Apr 29, 2013, 02:25 PM
I love how it says Do not attempt at the centre bottom as the fighting erupts.

cdmoore74
Apr 29, 2013, 02:26 PM
Didn't even make me smile.

I'm a Android fanboi and that was the best mobile ad I've seen. Better than any Apple commercial and better than the Samsung iSheep commercials.
If you can't smile at this than you're no better than the people in this ad.

johncrab
Apr 29, 2013, 02:26 PM
"Here are TWO things you can buy that are better than a Windows Phone!"

fel10
Apr 29, 2013, 02:30 PM

Companies have been doing this for years.

bossxii
Apr 29, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'm a Android fanboi and that was the best mobile ad I've seen. Better than any Apple commercial and better than the Samsung iSheep commercials.
If you can't smile at this than you're no better than the people in this ad.

Agreed. I use a PC, a mac, iPhone and android products. People get to wrapped up in the brand they forget to even explore the best technology as it evolves.

This was one of the best ad's I've seen from M$ in a very long time. :)

GoldenJoe
Apr 29, 2013, 02:40 PM
Not gonna lie, that was a pretty awesome commercial. Still a terrible platform though, haha.

Smartass
Apr 29, 2013, 02:53 PM
I still dislike the bizarre Windows 8 interface.

bizzare? oh yes because a grid of gazillion static icons is sooo much better...

Razeus
Apr 29, 2013, 02:57 PM

At least I know where they are and what they do. But if you think looking at tiles, all the same color, and different sizes, is good, then have fun.

gatearray
Apr 29, 2013, 03:02 PM

Seriously. Don't these companies realize that most people have absolutely no idea of the kind of idiotic OS-fighting that is commonplace on tech blogs?

In fact, it's interesting that Samsung, too, draws their marketing inspiration from this same vocal minority of 14 year-old high school kids whom define themselves by their choice of cell phone operating system. It's not only Samsung commercials, but they also seem to design their products for this tiny group, as well.

Anti-Lucifer
Apr 29, 2013, 03:02 PM

The static grid of gazillion icons isn't much better but it is what it is: apps you push to open. While having live tiles is all the rave, who spends their time looking at their dashboard? When I use my device, I jump straight into an app, focusing 100% of my time in it. I don't care for all the widgets and distractions; only if they are notifications for me to check on such as email, text, news, etc.

While the layout is stale and bland, it does get the job done. Go ahead and ask yourself how much time you spend OUT OF AN APP? 99% of the time, you are in an app. The other 1% of the time, you spend scrolling and flicking your dashboard.

Macthemaca
Apr 29, 2013, 03:07 PM

Very funny if you are 12

Kabeyun
Apr 29, 2013, 03:14 PM
A noble effort! Don't know how much it'll help sales, but it's definitely the right ad.

Yamcha
Apr 29, 2013, 03:14 PM
That was a great ad in my opinion. Funny stuff :P

chrf097
Apr 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
The only reason I'm not on Windows Phone yet is because 2 of my vital must have apps aren't on the platform yet, but its been announced that one of them is coming, so once they both hit Windows Phone I'm switching for sure.

Mr.damien
Apr 29, 2013, 03:30 PM
Better than any ad Apple has put out in the last few years.

yeah, if you don't care about what your phone can offers. While it's a (very) funny app, what other choice Microsoft got ? Nothing. Their phones provides what competitors are giving since many years.

Negritude
Apr 29, 2013, 03:47 PM
That was freaking hilarious! :D

And to those making classist and elitist comments about the fact that the people in the commercial with Windows phones are waiters, %^#$%# you. The majority of Americans are working people, doing just those sort of jobs that you look down on.

rdlink
Apr 29, 2013, 04:17 PM
We really all agree that this was a funny commercial? I'm shocked! :)

----------

It is illegal to say something that isn't true about a brand other than your own.

Well, it's also illegal to say something that isn't true about your own brand...

Shrink
Apr 29, 2013, 04:19 PM
Well, it's also illegal to say something that isn't true about your own brand...

Well, I believe that is VERY broadly defined. "Puffery" (exaggeration) of your product's virtues is OK.

rdlink
Apr 29, 2013, 04:22 PM
Well, I believe that is VERY broadly defined. "Puffery" (exaggeration) of your product's virtues is OK.

Well, of course. That's advertising. But, "Our car will accelerate from 0-300 mph in 2.6 seconds." might get Kia in trouble... ;)

Sardonick007
Apr 29, 2013, 04:27 PM
Not that I'd own one, because I don't want to reboot my phone as much as a desktop, but that is one darn cool commercial. Fun to watch for sure.

ChristianJapan
Apr 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
This was funny; nice to start a day with a huge smile :D

it will not make me switch; but it was entertaining

hortod1
Apr 29, 2013, 04:33 PM
The girl is hot

aristotle
Apr 29, 2013, 04:35 PM
The only reason I'm not on Windows Phone yet is because 2 of my vital must have apps aren't on the platform yet, but its been announced that one of them is coming, so once they both hit Windows Phone I'm switching for sure.
Twitter?

I could never "switch" to windows phone because I would be throwing away hundreds of dollars worth of software let alone not being able to find replacements for them on windows phone.

I also cannot stand those damn tiles because they remind me of megablocks. It is the UI for preschoolers.

Oppressed
Apr 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
Sounds like a Samsung-copier-ad. :rolleyes:
I really enjoyed that commercial though.

Actually I thought this ad had a much different feel then the Samsung ads. Are they both poking fun at certain phone users? Sure, but the mood in this one is a lot more comical than the coldness of the Samsung ad.

This ad was spot on and something everyone can laugh at. Will I buy a Windows phone? No, but hey Microsoft can put out some cool ads.

pacalis
Apr 29, 2013, 05:20 PM
That was a hilarious ad.

I originally wrote that it highlights the shortcomings of the Nokia, but I guess the big win here is to put Windows into the conversation as a third alternative.

ChristianJapan
Apr 29, 2013, 05:39 PM
I could never "switch" to windows phone because I would be throwing away hundreds of dollars worth of software let alone not being able to find replacements for them on windows phone.

agree; thats the downside of an eco system; you are "doomed" to stay or write off some money. Not much different to other systems like cameras/lenses etc (I could not switch from Canon to Nikon without loosing quite some $$$ in gLass).

I also cannot stand those damn tiles because they remind me of megablocks. It is the UI for preschoolers.
Wait of flat iOS7 :eek: I fear that :apple: comes a bit closer to the MS-tile-style :eek:

osofast240sx
Apr 29, 2013, 05:42 PM
Missed opportunity. Should have aired on super bowl sunday.

BlueParadox
Apr 29, 2013, 05:52 PM
Apple sit up and learn! Thats how you do commercials!

I'd direct this sentiment more towards Samsung - this Windows ad is fun and far from insulting, unlike some of Samsung's recent commercials.

Great ad. Creative and very funny.

xdxdaustin
Apr 29, 2013, 05:55 PM
This. Is. Freaking. Epic.

Boe11
Apr 29, 2013, 06:14 PM
Not interested in a windows phone but that was a fantastic ad. Top notch production value, great casting, and consistently funny writing. I lost it on the search karate guy.

Christian 5G
Apr 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
I am not interested in any other phone other than iphone, but the commercial is awesome! Great job who did it.

MartiNZ
Apr 29, 2013, 06:23 PM

For me it's Pocket Frogs, and the community associated therewith :). Other than that I'd happily try a WP8 phone. Of course I could get another iOS device for the purpose, but while I'm still on contract, might as well keep going.

The ad was pretty cool, though I still think their original ones for WP7 with people crashing and falling and dropping their other smartphones were better. Now getting into the same territory as Samsung with ripping the users of the 'competing' brands, it almost felt like MS gatecrashed a Samsung ad! Good production values, but almost nothing about the phone it was actually trying to promote ... much like the Surface click ads really.

a0me
Apr 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
That was a lot funnier than the dumb Samsung ads.

shiseiryu1
Apr 29, 2013, 06:36 PM
That commercial sucks. I still don't know what Windows Phone does...much less what it does BETTER than iPhone or Android (if anything). I don't know how much they spent producing that commercial but they might as well have flushed it all down the toilet.

What they need to do is show the phone in action and give reasons why it's better.

I'm so tired of all Microsoft commercials showing people flipping, dancing, fighting....everything but using the devices to improve their lives. Gosh!

bedifferent
Apr 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
Just saw this commercial and laughed my a$$ off. Props for nailing the stereotypes and the fighting that exists between techies.

(esp. loved the Siri jabs) :D

Michael Scrip
Apr 29, 2013, 07:29 PM
In the words of Josh Baskin... "I don't get it"

Outside of internet comments... I've never seen anyone "fight" with a user of another platform.

Perhaps iPhone and Android users are spending their time enjoying their phones... using tons of great apps... taking pictures and sharing them... etc.

But the commercial does paint a picture of the current smartphone landscape:

100 iPhone and Android users... and only 2 Windows Phone users :)

Jett0516
Apr 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
omg that was an amazing ad....I"m gonna go and get me a nokia now.

tranceking26
Apr 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
If people let adverts tell them what to do then they need to grow a spine

Childish tactic to make people stereotyped over a phone now is it.

Didn't even look at the advert or the phone as it's a microsoft product. 9 times out of 10 they are an epic fail.

Sadly I have to put up with vista on my laptop and I die a little inside each time I switch it on. Wonder how many features are stolen from the iPhones too.

Doctor Q
Apr 29, 2013, 08:00 PM
That commercial sucks. I still don't know what Windows Phone does...much less what it does BETTER than iPhone or Android (if anything).
But now you're talking about their product, which is one goal for advertisers.

pacalis
Apr 29, 2013, 09:04 PM
That commercial sucks. I still don't know what Windows Phone does...much less what it does BETTER than iPhone or Android (if anything). I don't know how much they spent producing that commercial but they might as well have flushed it all down the toilet.

What they need to do is show the phone in action and give reasons why it's better.

It isn't better, so your approach wouldn't work.

But a lot of people still don't know what they want in a phone or what to buy. The "undecided voters" of the phone world. This add puts Microsoft in the conversation.

HiRez
Apr 29, 2013, 09:20 PM
The ad is well made and it's funny, but I think they did a poor job making a case for why you (the consumer) should want an MS/Nokia phone. What's the point?

SockRolid
Apr 29, 2013, 09:35 PM
The ad is well made and it's funny, but I think they did a poor job making a case for why you (the consumer) should want an MS/Nokia phone. What's the point?

Desperate stab at getting attention. You know, to try and remain relevant in the 21st century.

turtlez
Apr 29, 2013, 10:08 PM
cool phone but I bet it will run into the same problem android devices have. Fragmentation. Hardware is nothing without software and vice versa.

----------

I agree, the only thing they say about the phone is it was rated well in one review lol

JAT
Apr 29, 2013, 10:54 PM
Well, of course. That's advertising. But, "Our car will accelerate from 0-300 mph in 2.6 seconds." might get Kia in trouble... ;)

Apparently Ford claiming theirs can fly is ok.

Toltepeceno
Apr 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
Great ad, cracked me up. I still don't want a windows phone though.

charlituna
Apr 29, 2013, 11:22 PM

Yep. As long as the info you give is true

Radiating
Apr 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
What's the deal with ads that don't actually point out the technical merits of the device? Are people really dumb enough to buy into them.

These are even a step down from Samsung ads which point out useless features or make nonsensical insults of competitiors.

Iamthinking
Apr 29, 2013, 11:37 PM
I showed this ad to someone and when it was over they asked if I could rewind and show it again. How many ads have you watched lately that you wouldn't mind watching over again?
Apple should find out who is behind this ad and hire them! Now!

-iamthinking

maxosx
Apr 29, 2013, 11:42 PM
A brilliantly funny ad.

I'm _not_ advocating for Microsoft, yet I'm not counting them out just yet. They have more resilience than some are aware of.

dazed
Apr 29, 2013, 11:51 PM
Love that ad. Sums up the current state of affairs between Apple and Samsung quite nicely.

Never used a windows phone but at least it differs from the rest. Who'd have guessed Microsoft could do something original!!

pickaxe
Apr 30, 2013, 12:10 AM
That is a really great commercial. The guy flying 5 feet in the air into a cake really cracked me up.

Michael Scrip
Apr 30, 2013, 01:01 AM
But now you're talking about their product, which is one goal for advertisers.

Talking about Windows Phone... sure.

But apparently more people already have iPhones and Android phones... so much so that they are fighting over them.

They're taking pics, using Siri, S-Beaming, all sorts of stuff. And playing Candy Crush.

And the people who have iPhones and Android phones are also showing their friends all the cool stuff they can do with their phones. Personal recommendations are very powerful.

So... we can talk about Windows Phones until we're blue in the face. But people are gonna have more contact with actual iPhones and Android phones... and this commercial won't do much to stop that.

tech4all
Apr 30, 2013, 01:35 AM
The ad basically describes internet forums that debate the same old topic. :D

iomar
Apr 30, 2013, 05:55 AM
I loved the ad! This goes to tell you that we appreciate creative work. Even if it's not from Apple.

MonkeySee....
Apr 30, 2013, 05:59 AM
Awful ad.

Rogifan
Apr 30, 2013, 06:25 AM
The ad basically describes internet forums that debate the same old topic. :D

To which 99% of the general public is clueless about. What about this ad makes someone want to buy a Nokia phone?

Prototypical
Apr 30, 2013, 08:09 AM

Before even playing the video I saw the still and asked myself, wait so the people who use Windows phones are the waiters?! What message does it send....?

Wow... my smug-meter is off the charts. :rolleyes: Oh no, the "help" is using the same phone as me? Good Heavens! Buffy, ring the local Verizon shoppe! Acquire for me the most expensive phone they sell! This is PREPOSTEROUS! Next thing you know, they'll be allowed to VOTE! ....and, and, and MARRY!

I'm not sure what fairy land you two live in, but I couldn't care less what phone my food server owns. Absolutely nobody will pick up on that except self-indulgent snobs who define themselves based on the "status" of their possessions.

DJJAZZYJET
Apr 30, 2013, 08:45 AM
Search 'one trick pony'. haha :P

roadbloc
Apr 30, 2013, 09:21 AM
Enjoyable commercial. I agree with it too. My Lumia is the best phone I've ever had.

Prime85
Apr 30, 2013, 09:37 AM
Otherwise it was kind of funny but a bit over the top, like their Surface commercial, trying too too hard.

Their surface commercial was horrible. What does break dancing have to do with a computer? Made no sense at all.

This commercial i believe was also a failure. It showed off the features of the iPhone and the Galaxy phones (i don't know 1 person with a galaxy phone that actually uses that beam feature) and neglected to show any features of the phone that this commercial was actually about.

chacha
Apr 30, 2013, 09:39 AM
Funny ad. Too bad no one is buying the Lumia.

I bought a Lumia 620. It's a great phone. So easy to use.
First phone in 5 years that I am still happy with after using it a couple of weeks (Nokia E71, then Samsung Note2, hated them both).

It is also the first Microsoft product I have seen, since let's say MS Office came out 20 years ago) that I have a lot of respect for. I'm a Mac user, and never thought I'd ever be complementing Microsoft on a very nicely produced item. Feels weird to say it, but well done Microsoft !

I love the iPhone, but it doesn't do tethering. And it's twice as expensive as the 620.

mumph
Apr 30, 2013, 09:40 AM
Brilliant.

sofila
Apr 30, 2013, 09:42 AM
In a room full of people screaming and fighting, the only two people keeping quiet and calm have MS phones.

My compliments for not being part of such a bunch of "inferior" people like domestics. You're clearly part of an elite. What a stupid argument

Prime85
Apr 30, 2013, 10:24 AM
I bought a Lumia 620. It's a great phone. So easy to use.
First phone in 5 years that I am still happy with after using it a couple of weeks (Nokia E71, then Samsung Note2, hated them both).

It is also the first Microsoft product I have seen, since let's say MS Office came out 20 years ago) that I have a lot of respect for. I'm a Mac user, and never thought I'd ever be complementing Microsoft on a very nicely produced item. Feels weird to say it, but well done Microsoft !

I love the iPhone, but it doesn't do tethering. And it's twice as expensive as the 620.

iPhone does do tethering, i think it has done it since iOS 4 or maybe 5.

phillipduran
Apr 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
Badbuadbuadubadubadubadubadubaduba, "KARATE!"

aajeevlin
Apr 30, 2013, 10:41 AM
Love the ad, but sorry no windows phone and no Nokia (at least not now). I don't have enough money and time to want to buy a half-assed phone/system plus a two years contract.

F1 Fan
Apr 30, 2013, 10:52 AM
Great ad. Still don't want one. iPhone FTW!

Liquorpuki
Apr 30, 2013, 11:31 AM
What's the deal with ads that don't actually point out the technical merits of the device? Are people really dumb enough to buy into them.

Apple's most famous Mac ad had nothing technical in it

Branding is the most important thing

Attonine
Apr 30, 2013, 11:54 AM

I don't know where you're from, possibly outside of the USA? I noticed when travelling in the US, that referring directly to competitors in ads is quite common. I'm from the UK and it is something that doesn't happen there, or in Brazil where I currently live. Don't know if it's because of legal reasons or just audience reaction?

MuffCabbage
Apr 30, 2013, 11:57 AM
Over a million views in a day. Good job Microsoft, you're solving the big issue which is people not knowing about Windows Phone.

FirstNTenderbit
Apr 30, 2013, 12:50 PM

These are even a step down from Samsung ads which point out useless features or make nonsensical insults of competitiors.

You mean like the latest iPhone ad that shows a bunch of people taking pictures of random stuff? Didn't see many technical merits in that one. Or the one where they flash random pictures and yell (that was horrible).

Unless you count "more photos are taken with an iPhone than any other camera" as a technical merit.

The commercial was funny as hell and fairly accurate portrayal of Apple/Samsung fan boys and girls.

Prototypical
Apr 30, 2013, 01:37 PM

When was the last time a Geico commercial had anything to do with insurance? Yet you remember them. Marketing has succeeded if you remember the name (if not the product). It's to get the idea in people's heads that there is a third option to choose from when buying a phone, and this option might appeal to you if you're not interested in participating in the Great Mobile Pissing Match.

At this point in the game, Microsoft/Nokia is more concerned with planting the seed than selling a specific product.

olowott
Apr 30, 2013, 01:40 PM
just too funny

worth saving.

Renzatic
Apr 30, 2013, 01:54 PM
Apple's most famous Mac ad had nothing technical in it

Branding is the most important thing

This. Advertising is more about sticking an idea in your head and getting you to think about the product more than it is telling you everything about it.

Anyone can find out the tech specs and features of the Surface after a minute and a half on Google. It's getting you to want to look them up in the first place that's key.

edit: what Prototypical said.

KdParker
Apr 30, 2013, 01:55 PM

I hope it does...the wp8 are decent phones and I would to see the feature smart phone become a three horse race.

baryon
Apr 30, 2013, 02:07 PM
I don't know where you're from, possibly outside of the USA? I noticed when travelling in the US, that referring directly to competitors in ads is quite common. I'm from the UK and it is something that doesn't happen there, or in Brazil where I currently live. Don't know if it's because of legal reasons or just audience reaction?

I'm from the UK actually, and yeah I'm curious if it's a legal thing or just a habit. I'm used to hearing "other brands" or "our competition" instead of "Pepsi" or "Apple" or whatever. Like those ubiquitous washing powder commercials that always compared the advertised product to "standards washing powders" which didn't mean anything, but they were obviously avoiding naming any brands for some reason. Also on TV if a presenter accidentally mentions the name of another TV station, it gets bleeped out (not always but usually). I never really knew why, maybe they want to avoid advertising their competition, or there's a legal reason which isn't present in the US…

Windlasher
Apr 30, 2013, 02:50 PM
That commercial is complete and utter B.S.

And By B.S. I mean Brilliant ****. :)

See, you wanted to fight me, didn't you ? ;)

----------

I'm from the UK actually, and yeah I'm curious if it's a legal thing or just a habit. I'm used to hearing "other brands" or "our competition" instead of "Pepsi" or "Apple" or whatever. Like those ubiquitous washing powder commercials that always compared the advertised product to "standards washing powders" which didn't mean anything, but they were obviously avoiding naming any brands for some reason. Also on TV if a presenter accidentally mentions the name of another TV station, it gets bleeped out (not always but usually). I never really knew why, maybe they want to avoid advertising their competition, or there's a legal reason which isn't present in the US…

It used to be that you couldn't mention the competitor here in the US. Now pretty much anything goes. They have to make sure the statements cannot be construed as slanderous of false or they will be sued. Opinions or implied preferences are ok though. Its also why you see the paid actor comment at the bottom of the screen some of the time. Thats the advertisers way of saying, "we paid this person to say that".

flottenheimer
Apr 30, 2013, 03:05 PM
Go get 'em, Samsung. Go get 'em.

Windlasher
Apr 30, 2013, 03:09 PM
... No matter what side you are on, that the trolls here cant just say "great commercial", or "not that funny".

They still use it as an opportunity to slam someone, company brand.

It's a cool commercial. Doesn't make me want a MS phone, but I enjoyed it.

jaykk
Apr 30, 2013, 03:43 PM
Something funny from MS, finally, the apple tattoo is really great too.

Than again, Apple icon is one of the most seen icon in every day life. It is plastered all over, be it in coffee shops, bars.

I think there is no such thing as bad publicity, people will recognize one brand from rest of them.

OrangeSVTguy
Apr 30, 2013, 04:06 PM
Looks like free advertising for Samsung and Apple to me. :D

jonnysods
Apr 30, 2013, 08:21 PM
I'm going to say that this is the best ad MS has put out, and the funniest phone ad in a long time.

Solomani
Apr 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
Great funny ad. Still sucky product. Everything is subjective opinion here, including the part where I say it's a great and funny ad.

Nightarchaon
May 1, 2013, 06:30 AM
Is it me or is the advert saying "only service staff use windows Phones" ?:eek:

nancyfromafrica
May 1, 2013, 07:58 AM
A cool advertisement indeed this shows what is going on in the mobile market at present.

b166er
May 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
I saw this on TV the other night. First ad I saw in a while that was actually funny!

WP8 does have it's annoyances though, I can't deny that. I love that if you send a native app to the background using the home button, and then relaunch using a tile rather than from the multitasking menu, it opens two versons of the same app. Then eventually you have 10 sms apps open and the phone starts screaming at you. Really crap oversight there, and the funny thing is it doesn't happen with third party apps! I can use the home button to send twitter to the background and when I relaunch from anywhere the app is right where I left off.

Prototypical
May 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
Is it me or is the advert saying "only service staff use windows Phones" ?:eek:

Only to shallow people, it does.

Nightarchaon
May 1, 2013, 04:48 PM
Only to shallow people, it does.

I shall take that as a compliment :D

luffytubby
May 1, 2013, 05:54 PM
It's entertaining and well made. I am just not sure about the Apple logo at the end. It really is like free commercial press for Apple. It's their iconic symbol and it gets the last big shot.

RenoG
May 2, 2013, 08:55 AM
It's entertaining and well made. I am just not sure about the Apple logo at the end. It really is like free commercial press for Apple. It's their iconic symbol and it gets the last big shot.

Yup and he gets knocked out, so they are hoping it cancels out? I dunno but that was awesome commercial regardless, actually super bowl worthy.

I wanted to like the nokia W8 phone very much. After my contract ended I went to AT&T with the idea of getting it just to change things up a bit and try something new since I've always had iphones. After spending 30 mins in store messing with it I said, 'no way, Theres no way I could be stuck with this for the next two years'. I left with the iphone 5.