PDA

View Full Version : It's Game Over for iPhone, If iOS 7...

whocaresit
Apr 29, 2013, 04:24 PM
What ever they do with the flatness in design in iOS 7.. it wouldn't matter, EXCEPT it's Game Over if they decide to remove the ICON / DOCK GLOSS on homescreen. It's what gives a distinctive premium feeling to iPhone over rest of the phones.

The only reason millions choose iPhones over Windows Phones and other phones is because it looks nice and premium when they first look at the homescreen. The rich icon gloss and dock gloss effects are really inviting the user to interact with the device. I love swiping through home screens multiple times a day.. icons are so nice to look and it just that great looking..

What ever they decide to do with iOS 7.. if they ever decide to let go of the ICON GLOSS on homescreen.. iPhone will become the next Windows Phone.. a third tier phone.

rsnapeuk
Apr 29, 2013, 04:26 PM
Gloss or no gloss - its not what I'm or a lot of other iOS users are looking for!

bozzykid
Apr 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
I don't care what they do to the icons if they don't improve the functionality to catch up with Android.

ogremoustro
Apr 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
Most people just get an iPhone because everyone has one not because of its features.

DesertEagle
Apr 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
Sure, I will start using android as soon as iOS get a UI that I'm not entirely pleased with. /sarcasm

Compile 'em all
Apr 29, 2013, 04:32 PM
Most people just get an iPhone because everyone has one not because of its features.

Ah, the urban legend. It still lives. I know it is difficult to believe this but iOS has the BIGGEST library of games, apps, movies, and music available for it. It is easy to use, and looks cool.

Yeah, people buy it because their friends have one. :rolleyes:

Mrbobb
Apr 29, 2013, 04:39 PM
The only reason millions choose iPhones over Windows Phones and other phones is because it looks nice

Dont spin it. YOU LIKE IT.

Maybe setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Jonny Ive, the new boss, is known to not agree with Jobs' UI look design and has quoted saying he likes Windows' Metro. :eek:

lulla01
Apr 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
They are going to wait until iOS 10 to add any cool functionality features

mattdo93
Apr 29, 2013, 04:58 PM
They are going to wait until iOS 10 to add any cool functionality features

iOS X :cool:

tekboi
Apr 29, 2013, 05:02 PM
If anything removing that dated glass look will help the platform. It's Game Over if apple keeps recycling that same old UI design.

BlaqkAudio
Apr 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah, people choose iOS over WP8 because of gloss. That makes total sense :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's because Apple had a 3 year head start on market penetration compared to WP7/WP8

irDigital0l
Apr 29, 2013, 05:15 PM
Good thing Apple isn't listening to you.

MrMacMack
Apr 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
I'm an avid Linux user, but even I think iOS is an excellent operating system. It's designed to work without much, if any errors. I've been using the iPhone for almost 4 years now and never once had a major issue. I can't say the same with android phones though.

Small White Car
Apr 29, 2013, 06:31 PM
I love the assumption being made by the OP that the new look will, obviously, be bad and needs to be hidden.

And in his mind it'll be ok as long as they don't do it in this one critical area.

But hey. Maybe (just maybe) Apple is planning a new look that isn't terrible and won't be a bad thing that has to be hidden in un-important areas of the phone. Maybe...again, I know this is crazy...but maybe they've designed something that they think looks good instead of bad.

Whoah. Wouldn't that be just wild? Hard to believe, I know.

ImpKali
Apr 30, 2013, 12:16 AM
It's just change for the sake of change, I say. Which isn't a bad thing in and of itself as long as the core experience is improved instead of dumbed down (I'm looking at YOU, Windows 8). But I don't use Apple Devices based on how pretty the UI is, I use them because they are fun and intuitive to work with.

I can't help but feel the OP is a joke. Ooh, it's not shiny anymore, everyone's gonna migrate to Android and Windows Phones! If Apple releases a budget iPhone as speculation suggests, then it will pull in even more users to the Apple ecosystem. We're already seeing this with the iPad Mini being so cheap.

sagar4995
Apr 30, 2013, 12:51 AM
i think iOS design is pretty much meaningless to most of us here. It's the functionality I'm concerned about. i couldn't care less if the UI remains the same, but much more added functionality.

MonkeySee....
Apr 30, 2013, 05:02 AM

lolololololololo. Surely you didn't type that with a straight face?

jafingi
Apr 30, 2013, 06:16 AM
Just make the dock like Mountain Lion. No gloss, and much more sleek look.

TheRainKing
Apr 30, 2013, 06:54 AM
What ever they do with the flatness in design in iOS 7.. it wouldn't matter, EXCEPT it's Game Over if they decide to remove the ICON / DOCK GLOSS on homescreen. It's what gives a distinctive premium feeling to iPhone over rest of the phones.

The only reason millions choose iPhones over Windows Phones and other phones is because it looks nice and premium when they first look at the homescreen. The rich icon gloss and dock gloss effects are really inviting the user to interact with the device. I love swiping through home screens multiple times a day.. icons are so nice to look and it just that great looking..

What ever they decide to do with iOS 7.. if they ever decide to let go of the ICON GLOSS on homescreen.. iPhone will become the next Windows Phone.. a third tier phone.

He's right.

iOS has a beautiful, premium look and feel to it which you don't get on other mobile OS. It's important that Apple stay unique and don't turn themselves into just another company.

It's times like this that you really miss Steve Jobs because he would know exactly what to do right now. I feel like the current Apple staff are just guessing and hoping it works out.

CTHarrryH
Apr 30, 2013, 08:14 AM
The look is so less important than function. I really don't care what an ICON looks like I care what the application behind it does and that it functions.

I find it unbelievable how much time and threads are spent on look of screen and icons and Apple is dead, etc. Apple has the best collection of applications, the best method of managing your apps, music, pictures, etc. Look what is happening with Microsoft who went for looks with Windows 8 and not ease of use and required functions.

I know I shouldn't read these threads but Apple isn't so over if most of the people on this board don't agree with any changes. There are actually people who use an iPhone as a phone and not to manage all their life events and also be the nicest looking icons and active screens.

SMDBill
Apr 30, 2013, 08:38 AM
Most people just adapt to the OS they're confronted with. Unless Apple were to really hose the OS in one giant change, people will keep using iOS. There will always be gripes from one side and praise from the other, but as long as they maintain the right balance of happy/not happy customers, sales will continue. Microsoft is learning the hard lesson about completely revamping something into a worse design and I doubt Apple would follow in their footsteps in that regard.

phillytim
Apr 30, 2013, 09:01 AM
I agree that the current iOS gloss & textures are sexy and give it a premium feel to all other mobile OS's.

But I'll bank on what Ive, and his proven track record, puts out for iOS 7 will be great...even if it is flat. I don't give Ive a blank check, as anyone can slip up; but I'll wager that iOS 7 will make the industry jealous once again!

brendu
Apr 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
This thread is hilarious... Everyone complaining about losing Apple's "premium feel" doesn't understand who is now in charge of software design. This guy is renowned for his work in PREMIUM feel in design. You are all going to be praising the new look when you see it.

Rogifan
Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 PM
It's times like this that you really miss Steve Jobs because he would know exactly what to do right now. I feel like the current Apple staff are just guessing and hoping it works out.
Just curious, what would Saint Steve do?

----------

I agree that the current iOS gloss & textures are sexy and give it a premium feel to all other mobile OS's.

But I'll bank on what Ive, and his proven track record, puts out for iOS 7 will be great...even if it is flat. I don't give Ive a blank check, as anyone can slip up; but I'll wager that iOS 7 will make the industry jealous once again!

What makes gloss and textures premium? I'm sorry but these apps do not have a premium feel to them. They're just plain ugly.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4501435537_bfd8ff939a.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/09/09/photo_4_270x406.PNG

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-Shot-2011-10-12-at-14.22.35-1.jpg

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/contacts1.png

http://blogs.cio.com/sites/cio.com/files/u7740/Stocks%20screen%20shot.jpg

http://photos.appleinsider.com/imessage-110610-2.png

jafingi
May 1, 2013, 04:21 AM
What makes gloss and textures premium? I'm sorry but these apps do not have a premium feel to them. They're just plain ugly.

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-Shot-2011-10-12-at-14.22.35-1.jpg

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/imessage-110610-2.png)

Actually, the contacts app is one of the worst. One thing is that the apps look damn ugly, the other thing is that they aren't CONSISTENT!

For example, Contacts.app looks like iBooks, but you cannot turn the pages like i iBooks. This inconsistency makes it really difficult to use for novice users. Furthermore, they use the book design in Contacts, but they have "non-book" elements (such as a clickable list, and then suddenly the content on the right page changes).

I'm really looking forward to seeing iOS 7 if there comes UI changes. iOS is beginning to feel old. Not the revolutionary platform it was back then.

fullauto
May 1, 2013, 05:18 AM
I really like notes and find my friends :rolleyes:

Different strokes.

DesertEagle
May 1, 2013, 05:27 AM
I really like notes and find my friends :rolleyes:

Different strokes.

The green felt in GameCenter looks fugly.

TheRainKing
May 1, 2013, 05:38 AM

How should I know? My point was that Steve seemed to know what consumers would love and how to amaze them. If Steve were still in charge of Apple right now, I'd be confident that iOS 7 was going to deliver.

TC03
May 1, 2013, 05:57 AM
I kinda like the skeuomorphisms. :(

Still, Apple has always excelled at design. I'm sure they'll live up to their name.

fullauto
May 1, 2013, 06:44 AM
The green felt in GameCenter looks fugly.

Yeah agreed, stocks is dated and address book could be so much more.. but FMF and Notes are great IMO.

BlaqkAudio
May 1, 2013, 07:03 AM
What makes gloss and textures premium?
That must be why Samsung keeps using glossy plastic in all their phones, for that premium look and feel :D

If Jobs was still around, so would Forstall. We'd just get more of the same (ie. more skeuomorphism).

Rogifan
May 1, 2013, 07:18 AM
How should I know? My point was that Steve seemed to know what consumers would love and how to amaze them. If Steve were still in charge of Apple right now, I'd be confident that iOS 7 was going to deliver.

I guess we just have a difference of opinion. I'm not a fan of designing digital things to look like real world objects. I get it in certain instances, like GarageBand. But why design a contacts app that looks like a book but you can't flip the pages? Or a calendar app where when you go to a new month it rips off the previous month (like you might do with a paper calendar on your desk) but yet you can still flip back to the previous month and it looks as though you never ripped off the page. And what does faux leather and stiching have to do with locating friends?

Steve was great at a lot of things but the idea put forth by some that he was the ultimate arbiter of taste I think is questionable.

TheRainKing
May 1, 2013, 08:15 AM
If Jobs was still around, so would Forstall. We'd just get more of the same (ie. more skeuomorphism).

I guess we just have a difference of opinion. I'm not a fan of designing digital things to look like real world objects. I get it in certain instances, like GarageBand. But why design a contacts app that looks like a book but you can't flip the pages? Or a calendar app where when you go to a new month it rips off the previous month (like you might do with a paper calendar on your desk) but yet you can still flip back to the previous month and it looks as though you never ripped off the page. And what does faux leather and stiching have to do with locating friends?

Steve was great at a lot of things but the idea put forth by some that he was the ultimate arbiter of taste I think is questionable.

Well skeuomorphism is one thing, and I guess it's down to personal taste whether you enjoy it or not. But as for things like glossy icons, layout and the colour scheme for iOS, I happen to think they did a great job with that (ignoring iOS 6) and I would be pretty upset if the next iOS has a more boring and lifeless look.

I'm open to less skeuomorphism, I just don't want iOS to look dull.

bag of kittens
May 1, 2013, 10:18 AM

Uh, no.

JetBlack7
May 2, 2013, 04:44 AM
Ah, the urban legend. It still lives. I know it is difficult to believe this but iOS has the BIGGEST library of games, apps, movies, and music available for it. It is easy to use, and looks cool.

Actually it's true. I have a teacher who has a colleague that bought an iPhone because his work crew had iPhones and he wanted to be part of the group. Even said he knew he spent a lot of money for the wrong reasons.

gadget123
May 2, 2013, 05:07 AM
i agree with you, the gloss on icons is one of the distinguishing feature of iOS and people really like it, if it goes away it may affect sales.

Before I owned an iPhone I seen the 3GS in 2008/09 I think and it looked great OS wise compared to everything else.

Ice-Cube
May 2, 2013, 06:17 AM
Personally I've never heard of anyone showing their preference for iPhones because of how the icons look. Infact it will probably sound ridiculous if the sales person told me to consider buying one cos of the icons.

Compile 'em all
May 2, 2013, 09:12 AM
Actually it's true. I have a teacher who has a colleague that bought an iPhone because his work crew had iPhones and he wanted to be part of the group. Even said he knew he spent a lot of money for the wrong reasons.

Sure but that group had to start somewhere :).

BaldiMac
May 2, 2013, 09:23 AM
Or maybe it's because Apple had a 3 year head start on market penetration compared to WP7/WP8

Seems to me that Microsoft had the head start in the smartphone market. They simply squandered it. :)

JetBlack7
May 2, 2013, 11:14 AM
Sure but that group had to start somewhere :).

Agreed. Although I don't really know why anyone buy something just to say that they have it. In my mind it's ridiculous...

MEJHarrison
May 2, 2013, 02:33 PM

Actually, it's NOT true. Posting about a single exception in no way invalidates the original assertion. If just means you know someone who had other reasons. Unless you're suggesting that EVERYONE behaves exactly like your friend, with the same needs and motivations?

JetBlack7
May 2, 2013, 02:54 PM
Actually, it's NOT true. Posting about a single exception in no way invalidates the original assertion. If just means you know someone who had other reasons. Unless you're suggesting that EVERYONE behaves exactly like your friend, with the same needs and motivations?

I didn't mean to say that my exception means everything, but some people in this world actually do this. Of course it's a very small percentage.

daviddth
May 2, 2013, 03:06 PM
Well skeuomorphism is one thing, and I guess it's down to personal taste whether you enjoy it or not. But as for things like glossy icons, layout and the colour scheme for iOS, I happen to think they did a great job with that (ignoring iOS 6) and I would be pretty upset if the next iOS has a more boring and lifeless look.

I'm open to less skeuomorphism, I just don't want iOS to look dull.

I think Apple went a fair bit overboard in the quality department, but it was the polished look that actually has kept me enjoying the iOS updates as they have come along. The attention to detail is great and enjoyable, but I could do with a little less polish and a lot more features.

As long as it's not a Win 8 style layout - thats dull, boring and decidedly un-apple IMHO

macmac11
May 2, 2013, 03:50 PM
Other question is: They pulled a lot of OS X 10.9 engineers to work on iOS 7. If iOS gets a really flat design especially calendar, contacts... it will be very inconsistent if the counterpart app on the Mac still has the old look and feel because OS X 10.9 will arrive much later. Besides people who do not immediately upgrade their mac like many companies who stick with a working system, will see the old interface on the mac and some completely new thing on their iDevice with maybe a new way to navigate or use the iOS app.

cmChimera
May 2, 2013, 09:11 PM
Other question is: They pulled a lot of OS X 10.9 engineers to work on iOS 7. If iOS gets a really flat design especially calendar, contacts... it will be very inconsistent if the counterpart app on the Mac still has the old look and feel because OS X 10.9 will arrive much later. Besides people who do not immediately upgrade their mac like many companies who stick with a working system, will see the old interface on the mac and some completely new thing on their iDevice with maybe a new way to navigate or use the iOS app.

They've been saying OS X will see some slight UI changes. Likely making default apps consistent with iOS. Honestly I'm expecting iOS 7 to look a lot more like OS X.

dwaynewilliams
May 2, 2013, 09:37 PM
I think that people are overreacting to the "flatness" rumors about the new UI in iOS. I cannot see Apple designing anything that looks bad. I, for one, am really excited to see what happens with the UI. Nonetheless, it wouldn't be game over for Apple either way. iOS devices have a lot more going for them than just the aesthetics of the UI. These are some of the best devices we have ever seen and people buy them in droves because the user experience is outstanding.

Saladinos
May 2, 2013, 10:06 PM
I think that people are overreacting to the "flatness" rumors about the new UI in iOS. I cannot see Apple designing anything that looks bad. I, for one, am really excited to see what happens with the UI. Nonetheless, it wouldn't be game over for Apple either way. iOS devices have a lot more going for them than just the aesthetics of the UI. These are some of the best devices we have ever seen and people buy them in droves because the user experience is outstanding.

Exactly. People don't give Apple enough praise for the parts of the iOS user experience that are still outstanding.

Scrolling is still better on iOS than any other platform. Since you do that a lot on a phone, it's very important.

Copy & Paste are still better on iOS than any other platform.

The consistency of the hierarchical navigation (back button always in the corner, animations to guide you and imply how to return) is still a fantastic bit of design that beats how you navigate apps on other platforms (e.g. Android's click-links-and-use-the-back-button philosophy) for intuition.

Apple needs to do more in that direction. Yes, a visual refresh is important - but its not what people love about the design of iOS.

Sdahe
May 2, 2013, 11:02 PM
I think the flat icons are gonna look interesting... Is that's the case in ios7

BlaqkAudio
May 3, 2013, 12:02 AM
Seems to me that Microsoft had the head start in the smartphone market. They simply squandered it. :)
Yeah, but that was when smartphones were more geared towards enterprise and resistive touchscreens were all the rage.

Unhyper
May 3, 2013, 05:01 AM
I don't give a **** about gloss. I do care about app selection, stability, and performance. I have had two Android devices, and both were laggy piles of **** with poor app offerings. It would take a lot more than ugly icons to move me to a different platform.

BaldiMac
May 3, 2013, 07:42 AM
Yeah, but that was when smartphones were more geared towards enterprise and resistive touchscreens were all the rage.

So? You suggested that people were choosing iOS over Windows Phone because of the head start. Not because of the actual product. :)

charlituna
May 3, 2013, 01:07 PM

Or it isn't because the vast majority doesn't agree with your opinion that it is the dock gloss etc that makes the iphone feel 'premium'

----------

The ironic part is that he really didn't know. Apple doesn't do focus groups etc. Basically Steve decided what they were going to give folks and told them to like it and they did. Rather than finding out what they wanted and giving that to them

----------

Other question is: They pulled a lot of OS X 10.9 engineers to work on iOS 7.

We don't know that they pulled 'a lot' of engineers. Or even that it was as implied because the software is behind schedule. This 'pull' could have been planned from the start. To have fresh eyes to help debug and to make sure that the two UIs are in sync with various changes.

----------

I don't give a **** about gloss. I do care about app selection, stability, and performance.

I think the vast majority would agree with this. Forstall and his team spent a lot of time putting in cute easter eggs of moving shadows on the knobs and buttons and missed huge bugs in iOS 6. THAT is likely a key factor in why he's no longer with the company. If Ive removing the cute means more time to look for and correct bugs then all the better

Rogifan
May 3, 2013, 01:17 PM
The ironic part is that he really didn't know. Apple doesn't do focus groups etc. Basically Steve decided what they were going to give folks and told them to like it and they did. Rather than finding out what they wanted and giving that to them.

There's a lot of romanticizing of Steve Jobs going on since you he died. People b*tched about Apple and what it was/wasn't doing just as much then than they're doing now. This idea that Steve Jobs is the only one who would know what to do, the only one with good taste, the only one who knows how to come up with innovative products is hogwash.

charlituna
May 3, 2013, 01:25 PM
There's a lot of romanticizing of Steve Jobs going on since you he died.

That started well before he died. It's a major factor in why the stock dropped to under $100 when folks found out he was sick

Rogifan
May 3, 2013, 04:36 PM
That started well before he died. It's a major factor in why the stock dropped to under $100 when folks found out he was sick

True. But it seems worse now.

Toltepeceno
May 3, 2013, 06:27 PM
This thread is hilarious... Everyone complaining about losing Apple's "premium feel" doesn't understand who is now in charge of software design. This guy is renowned for his work in PREMIUM feel in design. You are all going to be praising the new look when you see it.

THIS is what I am hoping for.

theking79
May 5, 2013, 06:57 AM

You clearly know nothing about design.

Gloss and glass effects are considered to belong in the year 2000 in the design world, it was part of the "web 2.0" era where everything had a glossy glass effect.

That glass effect looks cheap and tacky and as any designer would tell you, it is poor design.

JohnLT13
May 5, 2013, 07:13 AM
Some people just get an iPhone because everyone has one not because of its features.

I edited your post:D Yes some people get an iPhone just to have one.

saberahul
May 5, 2013, 09:59 AM
People over think too much. The iPhone does everything once could want from a mobile device. The variety of apps keep me up to date on everything and the phone calls (the most basic feature) works very well with the proximity sensor. Android or BB or anything else may do the same but I haven't found the fluidity in any other phone. I could care less how the UI looks till the time it looks at least decent and does the job it is meant to.

SpyderBite
May 5, 2013, 11:08 AM
Whenever I see an absolute in the topic I scroll through the thread to see if the OP has contributed to the conversation. If not, then it's a Troll.

Some good points though here and there from those that did contribute. :)

kmj2318
May 5, 2013, 03:11 PM
I don't see the designs going completely flat, just flatter and less exuberant. Here's a mockup that's been circulating online, I think it will go somewhere in this direction, just like the new music app in iOS 6.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/kmj2318/0-attnZnWChPL0Y_kJ_zps20f808ed.png

Also, I think the overall direction will be similiar to how the facebook icon evolved.

http://www.rizwanashraf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/facebook-iPhone-app.jpg

http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/blog/en/2013/04/facebook-for-ios-icon.jpg

cmChimera
May 5, 2013, 06:27 PM
I don't see the designs going completely flat, just flatter and less exuberant. Here's a mockup that's been circulating online, I think it will go somewhere in this direction, just like the new music app in iOS 6.

Image (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/kmj2318/0-attnZnWChPL0Y_kJ_zps20f808ed.png)

Also, I think the overall direction will be similiar to how the facebook icon evolved.

Image (http://www.rizwanashraf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/facebook-iPhone-app.jpg)

Image (http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/blog/en/2013/04/facebook-for-ios-icon.jpg)

I hope they manage to clean up that settings menu a little bit. I'm starting to find it cumbersome.

AustinIllini
May 6, 2013, 02:06 PM
I kinda like the skeuomorphisms. :(

Still, Apple has always excelled at design. I'm sure they'll live up to their name.

I like skeumorphic animations. Like when you delete a pass from passbook. The shredder is kind of cool. However, I do not enjoy the skeumorphic "look". I for one hope they keep things like transitions (opening a new app and such). I find that (and things like expose and minimizing on mac) pleasing.

JetBlack7
May 7, 2013, 05:10 AM

Image (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/kmj2318/0-attnZnWChPL0Y_kJ_zps20f808ed.png)

Image (http://www.rizwanashraf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/facebook-iPhone-app.jpg)

Image (http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/blog/en/2013/04/facebook-for-ios-icon.jpg)

I like this design a lot. It's much more beautiful and appealing.

cocky jeremy
May 11, 2013, 11:26 PM
Personally I've never heard of anyone showing their preference for iPhones because of how the icons look. Infact it will probably sound ridiculous if the sales person told me to consider buying one cos of the icons.

Sales guy: What are you looking for in a phone?
Customer: I really want reflective, glossy icons..

Sales guy would probably laugh in his face. lol.

Slamd
May 12, 2013, 07:47 AM

I thought the icon gloss was a setting, let Apple add gloss or leave it when you upload your app? Other than that, simplicity usually wins in my opinion but looks are no deal-breaker. Functionality <3

kmj2318
May 12, 2013, 04:35 PM
I thought the icon gloss was a setting, let Apple add gloss or leave it when you upload your app? Other than that, simplicity usually wins in my opinion but looks are no deal-breaker. Functionality <3

Yeah, it's actually the default unless you intentionally disable it. I think it's telling that a lot of apps are getting away from it.

cynics
May 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
I hope they manage to clean up that settings menu a little bit. I'm starting to find it cumbersome.

Isn't it though. It's starting to feel like new features are being crammed into iOS to me. Like an afterthought and not a very good one at that.

Personally I don't think *I* should be able to think of a better layout for settings being I'm not a developer or anything like that. But I think I could.

navra233
May 13, 2013, 10:22 AM

:D Its true in many cases. But it is also common that a product get popularity when it having something extra in features.:)

Edslunch
May 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
It's game over if IOS7 fundamentally changes the UI paradigm. Too many grandmothers and completely non technical people use and like the current paradigm to make wholesale changes.

Hephaestus
May 14, 2013, 06:40 AM

----------

I'm sorry but these apps do not have a premium feel to them. They're just plain ugly.

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/imessage-110610-2.png)

I still can't believe those Apps made it past the design phase, they all look equally hideous.

nabwong
May 14, 2013, 06:44 AM

I got an iPhone cause it works well.

Rogifan
May 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
I still can't believe those Apps made it past the design phase, they all look equally hideous.

And to think they were probably approved by Steve Jobs. :eek:

BvizioN
May 19, 2013, 10:03 AM

Is it?? :D And their friends buy it because their other friends have it, who saw the other friends buy it and so on and on....? Simple as that, just splash 600 because other friends do it.

Seriously... some people!!

jaenicky
May 19, 2013, 11:00 AM

Seriously I hate the look of those apps especially notepad

ppeyton1143
May 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
nope, actually they will look better and flatter without that gloss. gloss or no gloss, they should roll out a fantastic new design in iOS7.

RTT
May 19, 2013, 04:32 PM
lolololololololo. Surely you didn't type that with a straight face?

Unfortunately it is fact in our world that people do follow others because it is the fashion.

jbenkelman
May 19, 2013, 05:31 PM
iOS 7 will be awesome either way. It will continue to be the best operating system on the market. For me, the look is important, but its the functionality that really matters. I love when things change and look new and fresh, so I am excited for a UI change either way.

Steve Jobs was a huge part of the Apple equation, but that is not to say that the company can not be revolutionary and game changing today. He was not the ONLY one who knew what he was doing there, and to be honest, I think iOS 7 probably still has some influence from Steve. These things don't just happen over night.

otismotive77
May 21, 2013, 07:01 AM
yeah, i love that gloss, that gloss is like a distinguishing feature of iOS, apple should not remove that gloss in iOS7.

GoCubsGo
May 21, 2013, 07:18 AM

Yeah, the glossy dock is exactly the reason I believe I'm holding a premium phone in my hand. :rolleyes:

Please. Apple could get rid of it tomorrow and most users will update to iOS 7 in a heartbeat. It is not game over, Apple isn't doomed, and they still haven't found Jimmy Hoffa.

tekno
May 21, 2013, 07:23 AM
Most people just get an iPhone because everyone has one

This is why I no longer have one. The iPhone's excellent build/features have caused it to become incredibly common. My Mum and Dad have them, as do my grandparents.

Unfortunately, rival phones are just as good (better in some areas, worse in others) and there are many to choose from.

beaniemyman
May 21, 2013, 07:28 AM
all i need is a better design and great performance. i don't care if that gloss is removed. it's a better design what iOS needs.

putongnihongo
May 22, 2013, 06:30 PM
Daring Fireball had a really interesting take on the tinkering of the IOS UI. When the iPhone first came out touch was still a relatively new technology to the average consumer and the Iphone Mac OS as it was called before was good to lead people into the future Jobs envisioned. Right now touch is ubiquitous so there is no need anymore. IOS is the springboard and grid but there are ways of tinkering this UI without making it even more complex that will add greater utility. There has to be a balance between form and function. Metro is very busy making it far on the dynamic side of the utility scale, Android is a hodge podge, and ios is relatively static. What Ive has been assigned to do is how to make iOS more dynamic without losing the simplicity. If that can be pulled off successfully then we might be seeing a very subtle but drastic paradigm shift. Honestly if any company can do it it's apple.

Sdahe
May 31, 2013, 12:19 AM
iOs 7 will be the time to move on to Android.... It's going to be a big disappointment

Peace
May 31, 2013, 12:56 AM
iOs 7 will be the time to move on to Android.... It's going to be a big disappointment

As will the move to android.

;)

It's gotten to the point where smartphones are becoming so yesterday.

Andy-V
Jun 1, 2013, 05:55 AM
Wow, some people really can't handle the fact that after 6 years it's time to give iOS a new look.

charlituna
Jun 1, 2013, 12:35 PM
because OS X 10.9 will arrive much later.

If they follow current trend both will preview at WWDC with Mac OS releasing July/August and iOS later in Sept/Oct

----------

Wow, some people really can't handle the fact that after 6 years it's time to give iOS a new look.

Some people really can't handle the fact that after 6 years Apple isn't doing what thy think Apple should, whether look, features etc

----------

I like skeumorphic animations. Like when you delete a pass from passbook. The shredder is kind of cool.

Yeah it's fun and nifty looking but overall it is pointless and inconsistent with how other apps handle deleting. Plus who knows how much time was spent on that nifty trick rather than debugging or how much code bloat comes from someone that only serves to look fun.

IHailPhilly
Jun 1, 2013, 08:38 PM

Hello I am IHailPhilly and I approve this message! :apple: