Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Ever so often, I'd say about once every day at random times, my speakers click. They can be playing music or playing nothing and they make a quick click noise at a high volume. It's almost scary because you never expect it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
mad jew said:
Is this on all three of your Macs or is it limited to just one?

Well, I only have speakers plugged in 24/7 to my 20" iMac which is the one having this problem. My 17" iMac and 12" PowerBook share a set of Logitech speakers which I never keep plugged in all the time. The speakers on the 20" iMac are the Harman/Kardon SoundSticks II.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Strange, I've never had this problem. Do you use Garageband? If not, open it up and then quit it again to reset core audio (bizarre method, but hey, it's the fastest and easiest). To be honest though, it doesn't sound like a core audio problem but it's still worth a try.

Would it be possible to use the clicking speakers with another Mac and then using the other Mac's speaker with the clicking Mac? It's just to determine if it's speaker-related or Mac-related. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.