PDA

View Full Version : Nokia + Bluetooth Addon + PB = ?

lieb39
Oct 27, 2005, 04:15 AM
Hello everyone,

Question. I have a Nokia 7260 which doesn't have Bluetooth built in. I'm thinking of getting a Bluetooth addon. I'll be buying a Powerbook soon, with Bluetooth integrated with it obviously. I'm just wondering what can I do when I pair the two devices? What data can be sync'd and so on?

Thanks,

lieb39

Moopuna
Oct 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately your Nokia phone will not sync with your Mac. Nokia's software - Nokia PC Suite will only work with Windows computers. I use PC Suite and a DKU-5 cable to back-up, upload ringtones, and upload wallpaper with my Nokia 6016i and my old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop and then I transfer the addressbook data on to my Powerbook via e-mail (I don't use the Dell enough to set up a network - all I really use it for is to back up the Nokia).
Hopefully one day Nokia will offer its software to Macs.

jsw
Oct 27, 2005, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately your Nokia phone will not sync with your Mac. Nokia's software - Nokia PC Suite will only work with Windows computers. I use PC Suite and a DKU-5 cable to back-up, upload ringtones, and upload wallpaper with my Nokia 6016i and my old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop and then I transfer the addressbook data on to my Powerbook via e-mail (I don't use the Dell enough to set up a network - all I really use it for is to back up the Nokia).
Hopefully one day Nokia will offer its software to Macs.
FWIW, some Nokia phones do work... I synched my 3650 and my 9500. Haven't tried the 7260 though. I forget if it's a Series 40 or Series 60 phone. If it's a series 40, you're SOL. If it's a 60, it should work.

BiikeMike
Oct 27, 2005, 03:00 PM
For anything you ever wanted to know about cell phones and more, check out www.howardforums.com

They will tell you how to make it work, and if it wont, if there is a hack to make it work :)

Moopuna
Oct 28, 2005, 10:56 AM
I stand corrected. Apparently there is a work-around way to connect a Nokia via bluetooth to Mac OS X - but it doesn't use Nokia's software. Has anyone tried syncing a Nokia phone to a Mac using the DKU-5 cable? Does anyone know if Nokia PC Suite will work on a Mac running virtual pc? Any help would be appreciated.

BiikeMike
Oct 28, 2005, 03:43 PM
I stand corrected. Apparently there is a work-around way to connect a Nokia via bluetooth to Mac OS X - but it doesn't use Nokia's software. Has anyone tried syncing a Nokia phone to a Mac using the DKU-5 cable? Does anyone know if Nokia PC Suite will work on a Mac running virtual pc? Any help would be appreciated.

did you go to howardforums? I'm telling you, its probably already been discussed, and if not, ask :)

lieb39
Oct 29, 2005, 12:45 AM
Apparently the DKU-5 doesn't work with Macs at all. Either that or I'm doing something wrong (I have one.)

Cheers,

lieb39