PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Announces Upgrade to In-Store Smartphone Trade-In Program

MacRumors
Apr 30, 2013, 03:18 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/30/att-announces-upgrade-to-in-store-smartphone-trade-in-program/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/att.jpgAT&T has announced an upgrade to its in-store smartphone trade-in program (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24128&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36372&mapcode=consumer%7Cwireless). The plan will give an instant credit of at least $100 for any smartphone that is less than three years old, with more recent and valuable phones receiving larger credits.

The credits are good for the purchase any AT&T smartphone or accessories, meaning someone could trade in an older Android smartphone for a new iPhone 4S, or half-price on a 16GB iPhone 5.
Beginning May 1, consumers who trade in their current smartphone to AT&T* will be eligible to receive at least $100 off the purchase of a new smartphone, including the new Samsung Galaxy® S 4, BlackBerry® Z10 or 32 GB HTC One®. These devices are normally $199.99 with a qualifying two-year agreement but, with this limited time promotion, they will be available for $99.99.

This promotion applies to any smartphone AT&T sells, and gives customers access to the latest devices at a fraction of the cost or, in the case of smartphones priced under $99.99, for free.The $100 promotion is for a limited time, though AT&T has not specified when it will end.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Upgrade to In-Store Smartphone Trade-In Program (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/30/att-announces-upgrade-to-in-store-smartphone-trade-in-program/)

SPNarwhal
Apr 30, 2013, 03:30 PM
I wonder what they do with all their trade in phones.
Usually things like this are pretty not worth it, but convenience factor to people is important sometimes.

I wonder if this will effect them in a good or bad way, seeing as if they were to somehow sell the phones at a cheaper rate as used, and off contract, that might cut into their profits for new phones, or might be the pusher for those on the fence.

I'd imagine they would sell indirectly though, not through AT&T themselves, maybe to another company or in more so of a 3rd party fashion.

The only potential downside is that 3 year old android phones I don't think retain a value of 100, but at the same time it does get people to re-upgrade, so that's where it's at anyway for the most part.

Hmm hmm hmm

Dwalls90
Apr 30, 2013, 03:33 PM
Feeling the heat from Tmobile ?

brianc34
Apr 30, 2013, 03:36 PM

My thoughts too. My first reaction was, "ATTs response to t-mobile?"

Mlrollin91
Apr 30, 2013, 03:46 PM
How is this any different than what they have been doing already?
Back in February I upgraded to an iPhone 5 because my 4S broke and they gave me $210 off the cost of my iPhone 5 on a visa prepaid card which could immediately be applied to the balance.

Ajones330
Apr 30, 2013, 03:52 PM
Nothing new about this, the trade in program has been going on and the only thing is the guaranteed $100 for any phone less that 3 yrs old. Seems they would do more advertising on tv...

Mad Mac Maniac
Apr 30, 2013, 03:55 PM
When they say 3 year old phone, is that 3 years from purchase date (and subsequent activation from at&t?? Because the iPhone 3GS was released July of 2009 but were sold until October of 2012 so hypothetically a person could bring an iPhone 3GS to AT&T in October of 2015 and get $100 for a phone that was released over 6 years prior

KieranDotW
Apr 30, 2013, 03:57 PM
Beginning May 1, consumers who trade in their current smartphone to AT&T* will be eligible to receive at least $100 off the purchase of a new smartphone, including the new Samsung Galaxy® S 4, BlackBerry® Z10 or 32 GB HTC One®.

I hate how carriers never advertise the iPhone in their offers. It's like they're being bribed specifically to leave it out.

shanmugam
Apr 30, 2013, 04:02 PM
ATT should have decent unlock policy on the iPhones (very strict even for the customers who are with them long time).

Jumped to t-mobile, no thanks ATT!

fraggot
Apr 30, 2013, 04:09 PM
Funny that this was just posted, I just got a text from Best Buy cause that's where I bought my 4S almost 2 years ago and they'll give me a $200 gift card for my phone that can be used towards a new one.

Lylyluvda916
Apr 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
Or you can keep your phone and unlock it and sell it online.

Unlocked gsm iPhones and some unlocked android phone have great resell value. You can even use it on many prepaid companies and hand it down to a teenage child and not have to worry about overages.

QCassidy352
Apr 30, 2013, 04:32 PM
When they say 3 year old phone, is that 3 years from purchase date (and subsequent activation from at&t?? Because the iPhone 3GS was released July of 2009 but were sold until October of 2012 so hypothetically a person could bring an iPhone 3GS to AT&T in October of 2015 and get $100 for a phone that was released over 6 years prior

Gotta be from purchase date. They can't expect you to know when a models was released. Well I guess they could, but it'd make a mockery of the program.

...which means that's probably exactly what AT&T is doing. ;-)

Xenomorph
Apr 30, 2013, 05:30 PM
...so, give them a phone that could have cost up to $849 and get a sweet "$100 off" coupon, followed by years of them sh*****g down your throat with their terrible prices.

What a deal!

samcraig
Apr 30, 2013, 06:06 PM
I hate how carriers never advertise the iPhone in their offers. It's like they're being bribed specifically to leave it out.

It's possible that Apple's contract with ATT and other carriers forbid them to use Apple's name in an ad unless authorized - and it's possible that other manufacturers have no - or looser restrictions.

Treq
Apr 30, 2013, 06:15 PM
Can I put the $100 towards the early termination fee?...

CEmajr
Apr 30, 2013, 07:13 PM

Exactly. Things are changing already.

ricktat
Apr 30, 2013, 08:02 PM
So I read this as any brand of smartphone.

I have an HTC One Virgin mobile that I bought for $49 around Christmas for no reason..

Good now for $100

JoeIsInTheCloud
Apr 30, 2013, 10:00 PM
...meaning someone could trade in an older Android smartphone for a new iPhone 4S, or half-price on a 16GB iPhone 5.

Oh, hey, even trade in their iPhone 5 for the new Blackberry Q10 when it becomes available, as I plan to do. Keeping everything else Apple, but switching back to a physical keyboard, something for which I've ached.

Ideanj
Apr 30, 2013, 10:33 PM
This is the way it works.

1) it has to be 3-yrs from the original phone purchase, not the models release date.

2) prior to this promotion if I traded in an old 3GS the value would have been ~$30. With this new promotion it's bumped up to a minimum of $100 whereas before you would ONLY get $30.

3) if your phones value is higher then $100 then of course you will receive that value instead of the $100 that is advertised. I.E. iphone 5 trade in value is ~$280, you would get the $280 instead of the $100.

Simple as that. Thank you AT&T!

Four oF NINE
May 1, 2013, 07:02 AM
This is the way it works.

1) it has to be 3-yrs from the original phone purchase, not the models release date.

2) prior to this promotion if I traded in an old 3GS the value would have been ~$30. With this new promotion it's bumped up to a minimum of $100 whereas before you would ONLY get $30.

3) if your phones value is higher then $100 then of course you will receive that value instead of the $100 that is advertised. I.E. iphone 5 trade in value is ~$280, you would get the $280 instead of the $100.

Simple as that. Thank you AT&T!

Are there upgrades for additional storage? What about a white iPhone 4S with 64 gb storage?

KentuckyHouse
May 1, 2013, 07:43 AM
Or you can keep your phone and unlock it and sell it online.

Unlocked gsm iPhones and some unlocked android phone have great resell value. You can even use it on many prepaid companies and hand it down to a teenage child and not have to worry about overages.

This.

I just checked to see what the value of my two Android phones would be...pssh.

LG Optimus G 16gb: $100
Samsung Galaxy S3: $128

Really, AT&T? I could easily sell the S3 for $300. Easily. And the Optimus G would go for between $250-$300.

And here's a real kicker...my 16gb iPhone 5?

$272

That's laughable!

The only way this program is worth anything is if you have an old phone that's worth less than $100 on the open market, then at least you'll get more than it's worth.

This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal.

RJCP
May 1, 2013, 08:14 AM
Compared to the deals we have on the uk, this is rather crap... I mean, I was 8 months into a 4S contract and for a limited time, EE offered upgrades into 4G handsets for 25£, trading in your old phone. I got my 5 for 25£.
Couldn't be happier.

TC25
May 1, 2013, 08:36 AM
This.

I just checked to see what the value of my two Android phones would be...pssh.

LG Optimus G 16gb: $100
Samsung Galaxy S3: $128

Really, AT&T? I could easily sell the S3 for $300. Easily. And the Optimus G would go for between $250-$300.

And here's a real kicker...my 16gb iPhone 5?

$272

That's laughable!

The only way this program is worth anything is if you have an old phone that's worth less than $100 on the open market, then at least you'll get more than it's worth.

This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal.

I agree - Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone.

Or maybe people do not want to go to the trouble of selling their old phone on eBay or CL.

Jeez, the arrogance of some people. :rolleyes:

KentuckyHouse
May 1, 2013, 09:10 AM
I agree - Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone.

Or maybe people do not want to go to the trouble of selling their old phone on eBay or CL.

Jeez, the arrogance of some people. :rolleyes:

How is that arrogance? Pointing out that it's highway robbery? Maybe you need to check the attitude at the door.

BTW, there are other places to sell/buy cell phones safely from the comfort of your own living room. Personally I never use CL/eBay to sell and buy. The likelihood that you'll end up with a blacklisted device is just too great.

TC25
May 1, 2013, 09:20 AM
How is that arrogance?

The following statement, which clearly implies there can be no good reason for anyone accepting ATTs offer.

"This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal. "

KentuckyHouse
May 1, 2013, 09:22 AM
The following statement, which clearly implies there can be no good reason for anyone accepting ATTs offer.

"This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal. "

Yet you conveniently ignore the paragraph just before that stating it works for people that have phones worth less than $100.

Just stop. You're trying to find stupidity where there is none. And in the process you aren't exactly helping your cause.

TC25
May 1, 2013, 09:52 AM
Just stop. You're trying to find stupidity where there is none. And in the process you aren't exactly helping your cause.
One final correction...I was not looking for stupidity, I was looking for arrogance and I found it.

I believe people are smart enough to determine whether this ATT offer works for them without you assuming it's all about money, as if convenience and simplicity are not worth something to some people.

/end

Arran
May 1, 2013, 09:57 AM
I wonder what they do with all their trade in phones.

Crush them? Or send them to another country to be sold?

I wonder if AT&T's goal is simply to take old phones out of circulation in the US? That would prevent US customers buying them on the second-hand market and then using them on T-mobile's "no-contract" plan?

Customers being free of contracts. That must annoy AT&T.

KentuckyHouse
May 1, 2013, 10:01 AM
One final correction...I was not looking for stupidity, I was looking for arrogance and I found it.

I believe people are smart enough to determine whether this ATT offer works for them without you assuming it's all about money, as if convenience and simplicity are not worth something to some people.

/end

/opened back up

"Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone"

Did you or did you not say this? That's what I thought.

I agree that convenience and simplicity are worth something. But are they worth $100? $200? The fact is, an iPhone 5 16gb can easily bring between $450-$500 on a forum like CTO or Swappa. Would it be worth it to sacrifice $178 (if you take the low end of what you could get for the phone)? I don't know about you, but that sure seems like a lot of money to me.

Look, I'm just saying people should do their homework before jumping on "deals" like this. Carriers don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They're going to take your good condition phone and do exactly what you could've done with it...sell it to a reseller and make a profit. So, would you rather make the profit or give it to the carrier? I think they make enough of that as it is.

sentiblue
May 1, 2013, 10:18 AM
I dont get it when AT&T calls it "$100 promotion".

Isn't it true that if I sell my old iPhone 4S 16GB on eBay... I will get much more than $100?

dwward
May 1, 2013, 10:41 AM

I've been an AT&T mobile customer since 1999, and have grandfathered unlimited data for my iPhone. I recently added a line and was able to change my plan (so old the salesman had never seen it before) to a family plan and KEEP MY UNLIMITED DATA on my iPhone.

I was very surprised. It was my understanding that AT&T was not allowing anyone to do this. I wondered if it wasn't in response to Tmobile, etc. competition.

Kevtech1
May 1, 2013, 12:37 PM
look, I get that not everyone has good transaction history or any history on eBay but I can't imagine letting my iphone 3gs go for $100 when on ebay it would pull close to $200 if its in good condition! Someone on here stated they would get $280 for their iPhone 5?? Are you kidding me? You could make $500+ on eBay!

KentuckyHouse
May 1, 2013, 01:14 PM
I dont get it when AT&T calls it "$100 promotion".

Isn't it true that if I sell my old iPhone 4S 16GB on eBay... I will get much more than $100?

Yes, yes, yes...

That was the exact point of my post above.

look, I get that not everyone has good transaction history or any history on eBay but I can't imagine letting my iphone 3gs go for $100 when on ebay it would pull close to $200 if its in good condition! Someone on here stated they would get $280 for their iPhone 5?? Are you kidding me? You could make $500+ on eBay!

That was me. I checked my iPhone 5 earlier this morning (you actually have to enter your IMEI and phone number to do so).

While you can go the eBay or Craigslist route, I don't like doing electronics on eBay (too many scammers) and the way PayPal has trended towards favoring the buyer, even if they're pulling a scam saying they never received the device, I stay away from it. And I don't like having to meet up with people, so Craigslist is out too.

Since XDA closed down their Marketplace, other reputable websites/forums have popped up to take their place. CTO (Cell Trader Online) is a great forum to sell/trade phones on with a lot of the best sellers/buyers from XDA migrating over there.

Swappa is another website that works well. The nice thing about them is that they require you give the IMEI when listing a phone and they check it against the blocked database to make sure it isn't a stolen/blacklisted phone. You can buy/sell on there with confidence that you aren't buying a bad device.

Both these sites provide for buyers/sellers to leave feedback about deals, so you can check up on people before going through with a transaction.

ricktat
May 1, 2013, 02:00 PM
If you have a crappy Smart phone worth less that $100 then , this is a deal..

If you don't... Move along... nothing to see...

Ideanj
May 1, 2013, 03:58 PM
Are there upgrades for additional storage? What about a white iPhone 4S with 64 gb storage?

Yes the current system allows higher capacity devices to have a higher trade in value.

b166er
May 1, 2013, 06:38 PM
They offered me $120 for my Lumia 920. That's actually more than the Lumia cost on contract haha.

I probably will wait and see what happens with these phantom 32GB Galaxy S4's.

KentuckyHouse
May 1, 2013, 06:49 PM
They offered me $120 for my Lumia 920. That's actually more than the Lumia cost on contract haha.

I probably will wait and see what happens with these phantom 32GB Galaxy S4's.

I'm waiting for the 32gb to show up as well. But you could probably sell your 920 on CTO or Swappa for $250-$300 if you went that route.

Greg.
May 2, 2013, 05:08 AM
So is MacRumors just a advertising platform for AT&T now? This story has nothing to do with Apple. :rolleyes:

alent1234
May 2, 2013, 06:31 AM

And you will pay 30% of that in fees with a risk of chargeback
The shipping alone will cost $20 or so

b166er
May 2, 2013, 09:48 AM
I'm waiting for the 32gb to show up as well. But you could probably sell your 920 on CTO or Swappa for $250-$300 if you went that route.

Yeah I was planning to keep it as a back up for the first few weeks anyway, so I probably wouldn't trade it in with ATT. I sold my iPhone 4S on eBay in December for $450! I've had pretty good luck selling all my old gadgets so I'd rather take my chances.

Oui
May 2, 2013, 11:35 AM
It's pretty simple really.
If you want use this program use it, If not don't

dwward
May 3, 2013, 02:52 PM
So is MacRumors just a advertising platform for AT&T now? This story has nothing to do with Apple. :rolleyes:With AT&T being the exclusive US iPhone service provider the first few years, many iPhone owners and MacRumors users have AT&T service, myself included.

I found the thread helpful and relevant to my iPhone ownership. :apple:

maxosx
May 3, 2013, 09:12 PM
If you honestly believe AT&T or any other carrier is "feeling the heat" from T- Mobile, you are seriously out of touch.

I'm rooting for T-Mobile to simply stay alive & grow. They've got serious challenges to deal with. We all need them even if we don't use them.

But that's obvious to those who understand business.

----------

So is MacRumors just a advertising platform for AT&T now? This story has nothing to do with Apple. :rolleyes:

Once you've had a chance to improve your reading comprehension, you'll quickly realize what fair and wonderful web site MacRumors is.

Toltepeceno
May 5, 2013, 05:12 PM
It's really no different from people that trade in cars rather than sell them. Trade ins get far less than sales whether they make it look like they do not or not. I don't like trading in, but LOTS of people do it as i am sure lots of people will do this.

I would ask people complaining about this if they have ever traded in a car. If so you lost FAR more than anyone that will trade in a phone, unless you traded in a toy car or something.

----------

Once you've had a chance to improve your reading comprehension, you'll quickly realize what fair and wonderful web site MacRumors is.

Unless you count the people that despise android or windows with a passion and use any chance to let everyone know it.:) Yes, i know the other side has it's share of haters also.

kwonie312
Sep 16, 2013, 09:59 PM
Anyone knows if this "promotion" is still running? I have an unused 8gb iphone 3gs and it would be nice if AT&T gives $100 credit for the trade-in of the phone, which I am hoping to use for iphone 5s purchase.

Thanks in advance.