PDA

View Full Version : Sticky and dirty keys

iConor50
May 1, 2013, 01:51 AM
So recently I noticed a small amount of dirt in the area where the backlight from the keyboard comes out and the left arrow key is VERY sticky and will hardly place, I've no insurance etc so what do I do?:(

sparkie7
May 1, 2013, 03:38 AM
Stop jizzing over your keyboard. :D hehe :p

DesertEagle
May 1, 2013, 03:55 AM
Here is how to clean the keyboard: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226
Stop jizzing over your keyboard. :D hehe :pNo ****. It can even make you go blind.

BenTrovato
May 1, 2013, 09:52 AM
These boards are really sensitive to liquid so watch out for that. If the key is sticky, get a damp cloth, but not damp that water will leak out of it and into the board. Just dab it a few times and if you have a thin piece of plastic you can scrape away the stickiness. Get a dry cloth and rub it all clean. Spray it with compressed air afterward.

The best way to avoid this is to clean it once a week to avoid anything plugging it up.

sparkie7
May 1, 2013, 11:09 AM
The best way to avoid this is to clean it once a week to avoid anything plugging it up.

or keyboard cover?

ratboy90
May 1, 2013, 11:12 AM
I don't know whether this works on MBAs but on my old MBP I could take off the keys and just use compressed air to clean everything.

Or as stated before just fap farther away from your laptop.

iConor50
May 1, 2013, 12:00 PM
These boards are really sensitive to liquid so watch out for that. If the key is sticky, get a damp cloth, but not damp that water will leak out of it and into the board. Just dab it a few times and if you have a thin piece of plastic you can scrape away the stickiness. Get a dry cloth and rub it all clean. Spray it with compressed air afterward.

sorry, i meant sticky as in when pressing it it sticks

ratboy90
May 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
sorry, i meant sticky as in when pressing it it sticks

Take a look at this: http://youtu.be/kh88cn_rtLo and try it. There's no actual risk doing it. Otherwise maybe take it to apple if you still have warranty

iConor50
May 1, 2013, 01:31 PM
Take a look at this: http://youtu.be/kh88cn_rtLo and try it. There's no actual risk doing it. Otherwise maybe take it to apple if you still have warranty

compressed air? wld it work? cos the sticky key just has like dirt under it:confused:

ratboy90
May 1, 2013, 01:34 PM
compressed air? wld it work? cos the sticky key just has like dirt under it:confused:

It did for me when I had a MBP. If all you have is dirt underneath then I'm sure compressed air will help. Plus, there's no harm in trying.

iConor50
May 2, 2013, 11:32 AM
It did for me when I had a MBP. If all you have is dirt underneath then I'm sure compressed air will help. Plus, there's no harm in trying.

just a little scared incase i break something as I've no insurance etc on it:(

rpaloalto
May 2, 2013, 12:47 PM
Dont use water!
I would use isopropyl alcohol that is 99% and some compressed air. Keep your macbook turned off.
The rubbing alcohol evaporates very quickly, but still allows enough time to dissolve any gunk.

Most rubbing alcohol is 70% or 80%, try and find one that is 99%.

ayres
May 2, 2013, 01:27 PM
about once every month, i run a black & decker hand vac over the keys. first i turn my mbp off, and sometimes i hold the computer at an angle or hold it upside down while vacuuming. it seems to work well - has dislodged grit that gets under keys that results in partial 'pushdown'. then i run a optical/electronic wipe (etoh) over and around the keys. (yeah, don't use water, as mentioned above - alcohol evaporates better)

all-in-all, two or three minutes, and done every month, this will keep the keyboard in tip-top condition.

stefanie7055
May 4, 2013, 07:46 PM
Dont use water!
I would use isopropyl alcohol that is 99% and some compressed air. Keep your macbook turned off.
The rubbing alcohol evaporates very quickly, but still allows enough time to dissolve any gunk.

Most rubbing alcohol is 70% or 80%, try and find one that is 99%.

I was about to type pretty much exactly this...minus the particulars about alcohol composition.

I regularly use compressed air on all my studio gear, and then swab with alcohol on a Q-Tip...works wonders for sticky keys.