Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
35mis8x.jpg

So, there are a couple of ways to remove these duplicate entries.
But it's quite tedious to repeat this process after every app update (which I assume is what triggers the duplicate entries).
So how can one prevent this from happening in the first place?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You need to rebuild the Launch Services Database by entering the following command in Terminal, followed by pressing enter.

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
After you do that, relaunch Finder by holding the Option/Alt key down while you right-click the Finder icon on the Dock, then select Relaunch.

I don't know of any way to prevent it from happening, but it shouldn't happen very often.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

So, there are a couple of ways to remove these duplicate entries.
But it's quite tedious to repeat this process after every app update (which I assume is what triggers the duplicate entries).
So how can one prevent this from happening in the first place?

It seems to be caused by wonky app. update routines. For example, every single time Skitch gets an update through the App Store, I get dup entries for Skitch.

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder

Here is a better Terminal command that will automatically relaunch Finder after the rebuild launch services is done.

I use this Workflow to automate the task with Alfred. You will need to purchase the paid, Powerpack version of Alfred to use Workflows.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Mine is just as bad, it's got so bad that when you hover over the option it lags and stalls the Mac for a few moments!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 21.28.00.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 21.28.00.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 83

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Mine is just as bad, it's got so bad that when you hover over the option it lags and stalls the Mac for a few moments!

I believe we have the record holder right here! :D

Skitch, SnapHeal, and Pixelmator all do this with every App Store update on my machine.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I don't know of any way to prevent it from happening, but it shouldn't happen very often.

Unfortunately it does happen very often. For some apps that is.
You'd' think App Store apps would be excluded from this bug, but in my experience they're actually more likely to have it.

Doesn't anybody have a solution for this problem besides running some script via a paid third-party application?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Doesn't anybody have a solution for this problem besides running some script via a paid third-party application?
You can use the Terminal command, which doesn't require any 3rd party software. If you don't want to use a script, you can simply save the command and paste it into Terminal when needed.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Seems to happen to me when using external drives containing Mac OS X installs. When you plug in an external drive, all the applications are added to the menu. In Lion or Snow Leopard the right click list would eventually auto clear for me when the drives were removed.
Disabling spotlight indexing for these drives would stop it. However, setting this in Spotlight privacy settings in one install partition will affect spotlight settings in all of the others.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Unfortunately it does happen very often. For some apps that is.
You'd' think App Store apps would be excluded from this bug, but in my experience they're actually more likely to have it.

Download this http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xkj1hsaxw3o35ud

Then add the Application or Script to your login items, then each time you boot the script will run and your right click items will be fixed.

If you install an App and must fix it before restarting simply run the Application manually. It should happen almost instantly and the application closes itself and restarts finder for you.

The script included is what the Application runs, you can trash it or add it to your bin folder if you're a terminal person.

Let me know if this works out for you.

(If you aren't sure what the app does and want to make sure I'm not trying to nuke your computer you can look in the app yourself it simply runs the script located @ /duplicate_fix.app/Contents/Resources/script )

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Sure. The free app. Onyx can do this for you. Just go to the tab in my screen shot and check the box, then execute.

All the app is doing is running the script for you. Same end result.

There is a another free app called Cocktail that will do the same thing.

I only mentioned Alfred, because I find it is a quick way to run the script. But there are many ways to get the script executed.

Fm1jrjZ.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.