Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why it would need an 8 core GPU when no games on android are really pushing the current GPU's in the S4, Xperia z, HTC One and hardly likely to for a long while yet.

More is better but can also mean more is superfluous.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Why it would need an 8 core GPU when no games on android are really pushing the current GPU's in the S4, Xperia z, HTC One and hardly likely to for a long while yet.

Well the future is going to mobile and the CPU/GPU performance will need to exist at that time. Your phone/tablet will be your computer at home as well.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well the future is going to mobile and the CPU/GPU performance will need to exist at that time. Your phone/tablet will be your computer at home as well.

Oh god I wouldn't want Samsung to design the software on my computer at home as well. seriously......

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

Most most medium to high end gpus have 100s of cores, I don't think the future is going mobile. I think the future is adding mobile to it.

For example do you think call of duty on a phone is a viable experience?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
8 core GPU seems more plausible. Perhaps the Note 3 will have a worldwide Exynos Octa just like the Note 2 with its LTE-capable Eyxnos chipset.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I could careless about those specs. I care more for Android App Developers to actually create optimized native Android apps instead of releasing crappy iOS ports. The poor quality of apps on the play store is what led me to ditch the Note 2 and go back to my iPhone 5.

You can have a device with amazing hardware, but if the software wasn't optimized the the app will run like crap.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
The number of cores in a GPU hardly matters....mobile CPU core count, most of the time, is nothing but a marketing strategy by the company. It hardly ever results in real-world performance on a phone.

The Mali-450 is a fairly outdated GPU that was made for MID-RANGE BUDGET devices. Samsung would not use it in one of their two flagship smartphone lineups.

Mobile CPUs have become fast enough that taking number of cores and benchmarks into account when purchasing a phone is useless. What Samsung really needs to focus on is a new design and a less cluttered UX. Samsung is currently trying to become Apple. The phones and tablets they have released recently all look like or are either miniature or enlarged versions of each other. This works for Apple because of their strong customer loyalty and very simple design but it won't work for Samsung in the long run.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I am not really surprised.

Android seems to feel that they cannot match IOS in terms of ease of use, so they try to compensate by throwing in all sorts of features and specs, so as to have a better selling point.

Now with the S4 boasting the specs it does, the only way any subsequent flagship phone by Samsung can grab headlines is to one-up it again.

Is it me, or is Samsung slowly painting itself into a corner by engaging in a spec-race with itself? Let's see how long it can keep improving on those specs at this current rate, and at what cost to its bottom line.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Software is behind hardware. Hardware is ahead of software.

Which is why each year we get amazing advances with CPU's and graphics cards, yet in 2013 we have Windows 8, which is nowhere near as big as an improvement from Windows XP, than a new Ivy Bridge CPU is versus an Intel III Processor from 2000.

So yeah, you're right. It's easier for Samsung and HTC to double the RAM and contract a company to develop an 8 core mobile CPU for their next phone, than it is to code a mobile OS that is more stable, intuitive, elegant, and cross platform than what Android currently is now.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

I do think about this note3 to avoid traveling with my laptop.
I do not see what's wrong with having extra cpu and gpu this is supposed to be some pro device ...

----------

I'm curious when is the note 3 due for a release ?

IFA Berlin for announcement, commercial release is unknown still

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
lol what a joke. Android is still horribly optimized and lags in the most basic UI transitions. Adding overkill specs would not magically make the UI smoother. And just who is supposed to develop software that utilizes all this power?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
If the software doesn't properly utilize the hardware it's just gonna be a battery killer without real world improvements.

Work on optimizing before increasing specs, battery life is much more important to the average user than specs.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
lol what a joke. Android is still horribly optimized and lags in the most basic UI transitions. Adding overkill specs would not magically make the UI smoother. And just who is supposed to develop software that utilizes all this power?

You have not used pure Android!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

Because Games in Android often have Video Settings like a PC Game. We need to keep improving the hardware anyway so that the lower end can be phased out.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Note 3 (8 core CPU, 8 core GPU?

You have not used pure Android!

I have used stock Android since the days of Android 2.0, across over 10 different devices (including flagship phones and tablets), all the way to the release of 4.2.

Spec-Sheet Stuffer with no true benefit to the end user. Samsung and everyone outside of Apple just don't get it. It's about the experience, not the specs. The Galaxy S4 is a perfect example. Serious specs, serious lag.

Samsung DOES get it. The end-users don't. These are the people who are constantly wowed by the increasingly absurd spec sheets. These people also apparently haven't spent the entire 90s using software that runs at or close to 60 fps and have no idea what smooth transitions even look like.
For the record, iOS isn't smooth either, though it is certainly a big step up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.