Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercuriusfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Hello,

I have a 2009 model Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.6.8. Currently, it has the stock Nvidia graphics card in it.

If I were to install a card like an Nvidia GTX 690 while leaving my old card in at the same time, will Mac OS X ignore the incompatible card or will it not work?

The reason is because I want to use the GTX 690 card with Windows 7 on my second drive for VR development. But I still want to be able to use my Mac OS X drive for my studio software.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Clarification: I don't care if Mac OS X uses the card, I just want to know if the card being in there will stop Mac OS X from working, or if it will just ignore the card and carry on as usual (providing I keep the stock graphics card in there too).

Last edited:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hello,

I have a 2009 model Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.6.8. Currently, it has the stock Nvidia graphics card in it.

If I were to install a card like an Nvidia GTX 690 while leaving my old card in at the same time, will Mac OS X ignore the incompatible card or will it not work?

The reason is because I want to use the GTX 690 card with Windows 7 on my second drive for VR development. But I still want to be able to use my Mac OS X drive for my studio software.

Should work that is what people do when the have card that cannot be flashed for OSX but will work in it and they want the boot screen. I'm not so sure that that card will not work as I have just described in OSX you may have two functioning cards under it. If you were to get 680 2gb and flash it as others have done then you will have fully working card in OSX and Windows.

Edit: The working part in OSX would require 10.8.3 I think don't remember seeing no one mention lessor OSs being used.

Last edited:

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
Should work that is what people do when the have card that cannot be flashed for OSX but will work in it and they want the boot screen. I'm not so sure that that card will not work as I have just described in OSX you may have two functioning cards under it. If you were to get 680 2gb and flash it as others have done then you will have fully working card in OSX and Windows.

Edit: The working part in OSX would require 10.8.3 I think don't remember seeing no one mention lessor OSs being used.

Just installed the GTX 690 into my MacPro4,1 and Snow Leopard did not support this card. Updated to 10.8.3 and all is good.

mercuriusfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Did it stop you from booting and working in Mac OS X? That's my question because I want to be able to have it in the machine while I'm using Mac OS.

I don't want to upgrade because some of my software is not compatible with 10.8...

Clarification: I don't care if Mac OS X uses the card, I just want to know if the card being in there will stop Mac OS X from working, or if it will just ignore the card and carry on as usual (providing I keep the stock graphics card in there too).

Last edited:

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Hello,

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Did it stop you from booting and working in Mac OS X? That's my question because I want to be able to have it in the machine while I'm using Mac OS.

I don't want to upgrade because some of my software is not compatible with 10.8...

From all that I have read here, OSX will boot normally. OSX will not be able to use the card due to lack of driver support.
Windows installed on your Mac WILL have driver support, therefore under windows it should still work.
Do a search for the GTX690 on this forum, there is a wealth of info on it.

If others can boot with it in place, to try out many differing drivers, you certainly can skip the drivers and move on to your tasks.

mercuriusfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I didn't want to waste the money on a new card and power supply for it to wreck my computer.
:D

mercuriusfm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Some last clarification if you don't mind...

So with the 2010 Mac Pro having a 980 Watt power supply and using PCI Express 2.... Besides getting a GTX 690, will I need anything else for it work on the hardware end? (OS I know needs to be Win 7 or OS 10.8)

Thanks again!

This answers the question for anyone else asking:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1576131/

Last edited:

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Some last clarification if you don't mind...

So with the 2010 Mac Pro having a 980 Watt power supply and using PCI Express 2.... Besides getting a GTX 690, will I need anything else for it work on the hardware end? (OS I know needs to be Win 7 or OS 10.8)

Thanks again!

This answers the question for anyone else asking:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1576131/

The post you link to talks extensively about PSU enhancements as well. When your card comes, you can assess what connectors, and what additional PSU power you might need.
DO NOT try to run the card without enough power!
All power ports/connectors are not created equal.
Other than that, enjoy!
Builds are a fun challenge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.