Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I have an iMac G4 1GHz with 512MB of memory. When I purchased it used, it was running 10.3.8, then, I upgraded two months ago to 10.4.11. Now, this is my only computer at this moment, and the next computer I will purchase will be an iBook G3. I heard 10.5.8 can run the latest version of Safari (v5) and even older versions of Google Chrome, which is my favorite browser. Should I first upgrade to 1 or 2GB of memory before I install Leopard? Because I'm impatient and I like fast computers.;)

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I have an iMac G4 1GHz with 512MB of memory. When I purchased it used, it was running 10.3.8, then, I upgraded two months ago to 10.4.11. Now, this is my only computer at this moment, and the next computer I will purchase will be an iBook G3. I heard 10.5.8 can run the latest version of Safari (v5) and even older versions of Google Chrome, which is my favorite browser. Should I first upgrade to 1 or 2GB of memory before I install Leopard? Because I'm impatient and I like fast computers.;)

Max out the RAM and upgrade to 10.5.8.

Not sure why you're looking at a G3 iBook, given your need for speed. Those iBooks are also notorious problem makers.

Nov 28, 2010
located
512 MB of RAM is not supported to run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard wants 768 MB of RAM as minimum.
Your iBook, I had the same one with 1.07 GHz, only supports 1.25 GB of RAM, thus you need to replace the one 256 MB module with a 1 GB module, the other 256 MB module is soldered onto the logic board.

While I had 1.25 GB of RAM, running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was not that pretty and I eventually reverted back to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

You can however try and before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard make a clone of your current Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger install onto an external, properly formatted HDD via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper! to revert back to if you deem Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard no to be good enough for your system.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If it were me then I'd definitely max out the memory before doing anything else :)

Edit: The above two posters snuck in while I was typing that!

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Leopard would run on that machine, not overly well, but it'd run on it. I suggest upgrading it's ram to at least 1GB. You can easily get to 1.5GB with a 1GB stick in the user ram slot. Although, if a more modern web browser is all you are wanting, give TenFourFox a try. The latest is based off of FireFox 20 and can run on Tiger.

512 MB of RAM is not supported to run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard wants 768 MB of RAM as minimum.

Leopard's requirements outline 512MB of ram. It runs just fine on it for very lightweight tasks too.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Your iBook, I had the same one with 1.07 GHz, only supports 1.25 GB of RAM, thus you need to replace the one 256 MB module with a 1 GB module, the other 256 MB module is soldered onto the logic board.

While I had 1.25 GB of RAM, running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was not that pretty and I eventually reverted back to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

You can however try and before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard make a clone of your current Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger install onto an external, properly formatted HDD via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper! to revert back to if you deem Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard no to be good enough for your system.

I think you were slightly confused. I have an iMac. Not an iBook. I want to buy an iBook for things like text editing, and maybe almost just for fun.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Ok, basically, I have 512MB in the user slot. I supposed to have 768MB with the additional 256MB stick that was inside, however, when I was replacing the PSU, when I was putting the paste on it, I closed and locked the lid, and it didn't see the RAM anymore. So, how about I buy two sticks of RAM, 2x1GB to get my computer to run Leopard fast? Also, does my iMac supports DL disc burning? If not, does it even read them? And do I have to remove the old paste when removing the lid or can I just put the new one and close the lid?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If your iMac has a DVD burner, it should be able to burn and read dual layer DVDs. When buying new RAM for it, make sure you get low density ram. When opening the iMac again, you should clean the two heatsink contact points and reapply fresh paste.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
When buying new RAM for it, make sure you get low density ram.
What does that means? Does that mean only "PC-2700 DDR-333" memory?

When opening the iMac again, you should clean the two heatsink contact points and reapply fresh paste.
What should I use to clean the paste?

And yes, I have a DVD burner I burned iLife with it fine. So, that means it can burn DL discs? That's great, but I hope that buying DVD's on eBay from China would work with it ;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is high and low density DDR ram. G3 and G4 Macs only work with low density. Use a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean off the old use paste. To double check what your drive can burn, check the drive's abilities in the System Profiler.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…and even older versions of Google Chrome, which is my favorite browser.…
Just a note here. Whatever you do, Chrome will NEVER run on Leopard. Chrome is Intel Mac only. It was Intel only when it was released and even if you somehow managed to find a beta version it would be Intel only too.

Chrome has never run on a PowerPC Mac.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Firmware Revision: A606
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Media Type: CD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

So, does it burn DLs?

Just a note here. Whatever you do, Chrome will NEVER run on Leopard. Chrome is Intel Mac only. It was Intel only when it was released and even if you somehow managed to find a beta version it would be Intel only too.

Chrome has never run on a PowerPC Mac.
Too bad:(I hope Safari 5.0.3 will work as well as a modern browser.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So, does it burn DLs?

Too bad:(I hope Safari 5.0.3 will work as well as a modern browser.

No, it does not burn DL DVD, but it should still read them. The stock Safari that comes with Leopard is horribly insecure. If you still want to use Safari or a very close Safari clone, use LeopardWebkit. Do not use the stock Leopard Webkit/Safari.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
No, it does not burn DL DVD, but it should still read them. The stock Safari that comes with Leopard is horribly insecure. If you still want to use Safari or a very close Safari clone, use LeopardWebkit. Do not use the stock Leopard Webkit/Safari.

The latest version of Safari that Leopard can run is 5.0.3 (I think). I am running Safari 4.1.3 on Tiger. Please tell me that S5 is better that what I'm running.

And for the DL disc, at least it reads them. That's cool.

----------

Wait, how do I burn DMG files without a Mac? I don't have any other Macs in this house.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The latest version of Safari that Leopard can run is 5.0.3 (I think). I am running Safari 4.1.3 on Tiger. Please tell me that S5 is better that what I'm running.

Wait, how do I burn DMG files without a Mac? I don't have any other Macs in this house.

While it's better, it isn't that latest and it's just as badly out of date. It should be used for anything other than compatibility testing as it is full of unpatched and known security exploits. Also, buy Leopard. Pirating is not allowed on MacRumors.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
If all you want from Leopard is a better browser, you would be much better off staying with Tiger and Tenfourfox. If you do try Leo, don't use the default Safari (5.0.6). Use Leopard Webkit instead. It is Safari but the rendering engine is a newer version and is optimized. Also try Aurorafox for a Leo web browser.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Amen

To everything everyone above has said. A modest comment:

I run Leopard on an ibook G4 1.07 ghz and it's perfectly acceptable, use the 2D dock, disable spotlight (unless you love it, I don't, and EasyFind is a great app), disable v-sync and enable Quartz GL and Leopard will run almost (I said, almost) as fast as Tiger on your iMac G4, once you gotta the RAM. No Classic of course, but you could always use Sheepshaver if you absolutely had to run a Classic app.

Running Leopard gets you Leopardwebkit, a more recent webkit inside your 5.0.6 Safari shell. Many consider it the best PowerPC browser option these days. Yes, there is tenfourkit too, but I haven't personally used it. Mactubes or Youview for Youtube and you're good. Here's a nice recent vid on the tube showing what can be done in 2013 on an imac G4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dpuWCT8yWk

Tiger is....getting old, but so is Leopard....and so am I.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
To everything everyone above has said. A modest comment:

I run Leopard on an ibook G4 1.07 ghz and it's perfectly acceptable, use the 2D dock, disable spotlight (unless you love it, I don't, and EasyFind is a great app), disable v-sync and enable Quartz GL and Leopard will run almost (I said, almost) as fast as Tiger on your iMac G4, once you gotta the RAM. No Classic of course, but you could always use Sheepshaver if you absolutely had to run a Classic app.

Running Leopard gets you Leopardwebkit, a more recent webkit inside your 5.0.6 Safari shell. Many consider it the best PowerPC browser option these days. Yes, there is tenfourkit too, but I haven't personally used it. Mactubes or Youview for Youtube and you're good. Here's a nice recent vid on the tube showing what can be done in 2013 on an imac G4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dpuWCT8yWk

Tiger is....getting old, but so is Leopard....and so am I.

Maybe it's already time for 10.5 Leopard. I don't know, maybe in september or october this year I will upgrade to Leopard, but for now, I don't want to.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I used to use a 1GHz G4 iMac with 512MB memory and 10.5.8 as my main computer as an Apple technician a couple of years ago. It hummed along just fine. You really do get a lot more software with Leopard than with Tiger, but no Chrome. And more memory will certainly be better.

teller

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Why not use an OS that is still developed like Linux or BSD? Moving from an 8 year old OS to a 6 year old OS is hardly an update. You will still be running an old and totally unsupported OS. Wouldn't you rather have something that is up to modern security standards?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.