PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to OS X 10.5 Leopard?

garirry
May 1, 2013, 06:52 PM
I have an iMac G4 1GHz with 512MB of memory. When I purchased it used, it was running 10.3.8, then, I upgraded two months ago to 10.4.11. Now, this is my only computer at this moment, and the next computer I will purchase will be an iBook G3. I heard 10.5.8 can run the latest version of Safari (v5) and even older versions of Google Chrome, which is my favorite browser. Should I first upgrade to 1 or 2GB of memory before I install Leopard? Because I'm impatient and I like fast computers.;)

skateny
May 1, 2013, 06:59 PM
I have an iMac G4 1GHz with 512MB of memory. When I purchased it used, it was running 10.3.8, then, I upgraded two months ago to 10.4.11. Now, this is my only computer at this moment, and the next computer I will purchase will be an iBook G3. I heard 10.5.8 can run the latest version of Safari (v5) and even older versions of Google Chrome, which is my favorite browser. Should I first upgrade to 1 or 2GB of memory before I install Leopard? Because I'm impatient and I like fast computers.;)

Max out the RAM and upgrade to 10.5.8.

Not sure why you're looking at a G3 iBook, given your need for speed. Those iBooks are also notorious problem makers.

simsaladimbamba
May 1, 2013, 07:00 PM
512 MB of RAM is not supported to run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard wants 768 MB of RAM as minimum.
Your iBook, I had the same one with 1.07 GHz, only supports 1.25 GB of RAM, thus you need to replace the one 256 MB module with a 1 GB module, the other 256 MB module is soldered onto the logic board.

While I had 1.25 GB of RAM, running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was not that pretty and I eventually reverted back to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

You can however try and before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard make a clone of your current Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger install onto an external, properly formatted HDD via CarbonCopyCloner (http://www.bombich.com) (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here (http://www.bombich.com/download.html) and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) to revert back to if you deem Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard no to be good enough for your system.

How to format a new HDD to install Mac OS X onto (or make a bootable copy onto) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12483448&postcount=22)

Nermal
If it were me then I'd definitely max out the memory before doing anything else :)

Edit: The above two posters snuck in while I was typing that!

Intell
Leopard would run on that machine, not overly well, but it'd run on it. I suggest upgrading it's ram to at least 1GB. You can easily get to 1.5GB with a 1GB stick in the user ram slot. Although, if a more modern web browser is all you are wanting, give TenFourFox a try. The latest is based off of FireFox 20 and can run on Tiger.

512 MB of RAM is not supported to run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard wants 768 MB of RAM as minimum.

Leopard's requirements outline 512MB of ram. It runs just fine on it for very lightweight tasks too.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 07:03 PM
Your iBook, I had the same one with 1.07 GHz, only supports 1.25 GB of RAM, thus you need to replace the one 256 MB module with a 1 GB module, the other 256 MB module is soldered onto the logic board.

While I had 1.25 GB of RAM, running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was not that pretty and I eventually reverted back to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

You can however try and before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard make a clone of your current Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger install onto an external, properly formatted HDD via CarbonCopyCloner (http://www.bombich.com) (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here (http://www.bombich.com/download.html) and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) to revert back to if you deem Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard no to be good enough for your system.

How to format a new HDD to install Mac OS X onto (or make a bootable copy onto) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12483448&postcount=22)

I think you were slightly confused. I have an iMac. Not an iBook. I want to buy an iBook for things like text editing, and maybe almost just for fun.

simsaladimbamba
May 1, 2013, 07:07 PM
I think you were slightly confused. I have an iMac. Not an iBook. I want to buy an iBook for things like text editing, and maybe almost just for fun.

Yes, I was slightly confused, but the same principles about cloning do apply.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 07:14 PM
Ok, basically, I have 512MB in the user slot. I supposed to have 768MB with the additional 256MB stick that was inside, however, when I was replacing the PSU, when I was putting the paste on it, I closed and locked the lid, and it didn't see the RAM anymore. So, how about I buy two sticks of RAM, 2x1GB to get my computer to run Leopard fast? Also, does my iMac supports DL disc burning? If not, does it even read them? And do I have to remove the old paste when removing the lid or can I just put the new one and close the lid?

Intell
May 1, 2013, 07:20 PM
If your iMac has a DVD burner, it should be able to burn and read dual layer DVDs. When buying new RAM for it, make sure you get low density ram. When opening the iMac again, you should clean the two heatsink contact points and reapply fresh paste.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 07:36 PM
When buying new RAM for it, make sure you get low density ram.
What does that means? Does that mean only "PC-2700 DDR-333" memory?

When opening the iMac again, you should clean the two heatsink contact points and reapply fresh paste.
What should I use to clean the paste?

And yes, I have a DVD burner I burned iLife with it fine. So, that means it can burn DL discs? That's great, but I hope that buying DVD's on eBay from China would work with it ;)

Intell
May 1, 2013, 07:38 PM
There is high and low density DDR ram. G3 and G4 Macs only work with low density. Use a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean off the old use paste. To double check what your drive can burn, check the drive's abilities in the System Profiler.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 07:43 PM
To double check what your drive can burn, check the drive's abilities in the System Profiler.

How?

Intell
May 1, 2013, 07:44 PM
Apple menu>About this Mac>More Info>Disc Burning

eyoungren
May 1, 2013, 07:46 PM
…and even older versions of Google Chrome, which is my favorite browser.…
Just a note here. Whatever you do, Chrome will NEVER run on Leopard. Chrome is Intel Mac only. It was Intel only when it was released and even if you somehow managed to find a beta version it would be Intel only too.

Chrome has never run on a PowerPC Mac.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 07:48 PM
Firmware Revision: A606
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Media Type: CD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

So, does it burn DLs?

Just a note here. Whatever you do, Chrome will NEVER run on Leopard. Chrome is Intel Mac only. It was Intel only when it was released and even if you somehow managed to find a beta version it would be Intel only too.

Too bad:(I hope Safari 5.0.3 will work as well as a modern browser.

Intell
May 1, 2013, 07:51 PM
So, does it burn DLs?

Too bad:(I hope Safari 5.0.3 will work as well as a modern browser.

No, it does not burn DL DVD, but it should still read them. The stock Safari that comes with Leopard is horribly insecure. If you still want to use Safari or a very close Safari clone, use LeopardWebkit. Do not use the stock Leopard Webkit/Safari.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 08:01 PM
No, it does not burn DL DVD, but it should still read them. The stock Safari that comes with Leopard is horribly insecure. If you still want to use Safari or a very close Safari clone, use LeopardWebkit. Do not use the stock Leopard Webkit/Safari.

The latest version of Safari that Leopard can run is 5.0.3 (I think). I am running Safari 4.1.3 on Tiger. Please tell me that S5 is better that what I'm running.

And for the DL disc, at least it reads them. That's cool.

----------

Wait, how do I burn DMG files without a Mac? I don't have any other Macs in this house.

Intell
May 1, 2013, 08:01 PM
The latest version of Safari that Leopard can run is 5.0.3 (I think). I am running Safari 4.1.3 on Tiger. Please tell me that S5 is better that what I'm running.

Wait, how do I burn DMG files without a Mac? I don't have any other Macs in this house.

While it's better, it isn't that latest and it's just as badly out of date. It should be used for anything other than compatibility testing as it is full of unpatched and known security exploits. Also, buy Leopard. Pirating is not allowed on MacRumors.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 08:04 PM
Also, buy Leopard. Pirating is not allowed on MacRumors.

For 150$? Where can I buy them cheap, if Apple sells SL for 20$?

MisterKeeks
May 1, 2013, 08:44 PM
If all you want from Leopard is a better browser, you would be much better off staying with Tiger and Tenfourfox. If you do try Leo, don't use the default Safari (5.0.6). Use Leopard Webkit instead. It is Safari but the rendering engine is a newer version and is optimized. Also try Aurorafox for a Leo web browser.

Imixmuan
May 1, 2013, 08:47 PM
To everything everyone above has said. A modest comment:

I run Leopard on an ibook G4 1.07 ghz and it's perfectly acceptable, use the 2D dock, disable spotlight (unless you love it, I don't, and EasyFind is a great app), disable v-sync and enable Quartz GL and Leopard will run almost (I said, almost) as fast as Tiger on your iMac G4, once you gotta the RAM. No Classic of course, but you could always use Sheepshaver if you absolutely had to run a Classic app.

Running Leopard gets you Leopardwebkit, a more recent webkit inside your 5.0.6 Safari shell. Many consider it the best PowerPC browser option these days. Yes, there is tenfourkit too, but I haven't personally used it. Mactubes or Youview for Youtube and you're good. Here's a nice recent vid on the tube showing what can be done in 2013 on an imac G4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dpuWCT8yWk

Tiger is....getting old, but so is Leopard....and so am I.

garirry
May 1, 2013, 09:02 PM
To everything everyone above has said. A modest comment:

I run Leopard on an ibook G4 1.07 ghz and it's perfectly acceptable, use the 2D dock, disable spotlight (unless you love it, I don't, and EasyFind is a great app), disable v-sync and enable Quartz GL and Leopard will run almost (I said, almost) as fast as Tiger on your iMac G4, once you gotta the RAM. No Classic of course, but you could always use Sheepshaver if you absolutely had to run a Classic app.

Running Leopard gets you Leopardwebkit, a more recent webkit inside your 5.0.6 Safari shell. Many consider it the best PowerPC browser option these days. Yes, there is tenfourkit too, but I haven't personally used it. Mactubes or Youview for Youtube and you're good. Here's a nice recent vid on the tube showing what can be done in 2013 on an imac G4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dpuWCT8yWk

Tiger is....getting old, but so is Leopard....and so am I.

Maybe it's already time for 10.5 Leopard. I don't know, maybe in september or october this year I will upgrade to Leopard, but for now, I don't want to.

666sheep
May 1, 2013, 10:48 PM

Nope. 512MB is officially fine. http://support.apple.com/kb/sp517
But reasonable minimum for it, to not being slow as hell, is 1GB. 1GB + CI capable graphics card makes 10.5 useable even on 867 MHz Quicksilver.

Regarding the OP: I'd stay with 10.4 on this machine.

Jethryn Freyman
May 2, 2013, 10:46 AM
I used to use a 1GHz G4 iMac with 512MB memory and 10.5.8 as my main computer as an Apple technician a couple of years ago. It hummed along just fine. You really do get a lot more software with Leopard than with Tiger, but no Chrome. And more memory will certainly be better.

teller
May 2, 2013, 11:57 AM
Why not use an OS that is still developed like Linux or BSD? Moving from an 8 year old OS to a 6 year old OS is hardly an update. You will still be running an old and totally unsupported OS. Wouldn't you rather have something that is up to modern security standards?

MisterKeeks
May 2, 2013, 03:09 PM
Why not use an OS that is still developed like Linux or BSD? Moving from an 8 year old OS to a 6 year old OS is hardly an update. You will still be running an old and totally unsupported OS. Wouldn't you rather have something that is up to modern security standards?

Maybe he prefers the Mac OS?

garirry
May 2, 2013, 03:58 PM

What are you talking about? I purchased my iMac three months ago, and do you think I'm doing it for no reason? You want me to run 10.8 on my mac? The maximum it can run is 10.5, so, I don't see your point :confused: You want me to upgrade right?

MisterKeeks
May 2, 2013, 04:52 PM
What are you talking about? I purchased my iMac three months ago, and do you think I'm doing it for no reason? You want me to run 10.8 on my mac? The maximum it can run is 10.5, so, I don't see your point :confused: You want me to upgrade right?

His point is that instead of using OS X 10.5, why don't you use Linux, which is more up to date.

My personal response to that is: I prefer the Mac OS. I have used Linux on x86 and PowerPC hardware. I prefer Mac OS X. If I want to use Linux, I wouldn't get a Mac.

garirry
May 2, 2013, 04:54 PM
If I want to use Linux, I wouldn't get a Mac.

Same with me...

But I like Mac OS way more than Linux.

skateny
May 2, 2013, 08:22 PM
I'm too busy to be playing around with Linux. Plus, I just don't like it.

Linux never became the magical alternative to Windows and Mac OS that it's adopters prophesied.

garirry
May 2, 2013, 08:29 PM

Linux never became the magical alternative to Windows and Mac OS that it's adopters prophesied.

That's why I don't like PCs. You only choose Windows or Linux, and they both are too bad to be useable. I prefer Mac OS, that's way better, way more stable.

MisterKeeks
May 2, 2013, 08:43 PM
That's why I don't like PCs. You only choose Windows or Linux, and they both are too bad to be useable. I prefer Mac OS, that's way better, way more stable.

Before this turns into a flame war, I think we should note that for some people, Linux works.

AtmChm
May 2, 2013, 08:53 PM
You should think about WHY you would want Leopard vs. Tiger. If it's for the added features such as Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, etc. then you will want to seriously consider Leopard, even on a lower spec machine. However, if you want speed from the OS without having to mess with turning things off, then Leopard is not for you on a 1 GHz iMac. Leopard will run slower, no way around that (other than disabling things as has been suggested). I have the same iMac you have, and for a while I ran Leopard on it, but eventually went back to Tiger, because it was noticeably slower with Leopard, AND I really did not need the added features of Leopard as compared to Tiger. I don't use that mac any longer, but the only PPC Mac I would install Leopard on is a G5, which has the processing power to handle the greater 'bulk' of Leopard.

If you are looking for fast and up to date web browsing, there are several options other than Safari as have been mentioned. I happen to like Camino. I find it faster than TenFourFox, but others like the latter better. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), Apple has tied each major version of Safari to the operating system. So, the only version they are serious about updating (with few exceptions) is the one on Mountain Lion. So, with any PPC mac, you can forget Safari and use something else that is still supported.

----------

Before this turns into a flame war, I think we should note that for some people, Linux works.
Agreed, but why would you shell out the money for a Mac to run Linux vs. buying a pc and running Linux?

Lil Chillbil
May 2, 2013, 09:03 PM

welcome to the PowerPC forum where the year is always 2008

its hipster bro :p

MisterKeeks
May 2, 2013, 09:04 PM
Agreed, but why would you shell out the money for a Mac to run Linux vs. buying a pc and running Linux?

I wouldn't, which is why I use OS X on my Macs. Maybe some people prefer the hardware, I don't know. I don't really care what hardware is in my machine, as long as it runs OS X.

Jethryn Freyman
May 3, 2013, 01:33 AM
6 years old vs 8 years old, there was still a hell of a lot of dev work that went into those two years. And if I remember correctly, PPC Leopard even got a security update from Apple last year. Far more third party developers who still develop for PowerPC do it with 10.5 being required, there's just so much more underlying framework that Tiger doesn't have.

Maybe he prefers the Mac OS?
And this.

His point is that instead of using OS X 10.5, why don't you use Linux, which is more up to date.

My personal response to that is: I prefer the Mac OS. I have used Linux on x86 and PowerPC hardware. I prefer Mac OS X. If I want to use Linux, I wouldn't get a Mac.
I agree here... I will say I've tried Lubuntu 12.04 on my 1GHz eMac... software support was hideous to say the least, Linux support on x86 isn't absolutely horrible, but it's complete s*** as far as PPC Linux goes, it's even extremely sparse compared to what PPC OS X has. Hell, Panther runs more.

Fragmentation... lack of support... it varies of course, but PowerPC distros of Linux are the absolute epitome of every weak point of Linux, with the possible exception of "'security' by obscurity".

You should think about WHY you would want Leopard vs. Tiger. If it's for the added features such as Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, etc. then you will want to seriously consider Leopard, even on a lower spec machine.
Yeah some of those features, especially if you really *are* super budget constrained and the only Mac you can afford to own is something like a 533MHz G4 tower and want all the features you can get without caring for speed.

but the only PPC Mac I would install Leopard on is a G5, which has the processing power to handle the greater 'bulk' of Leopard.
Or a dual CPU G4 with a Core Image graphics card and 1GB+ of memory. Upgrading my 466MHz G4 with Leopard from the oldschool ATI Rage 16MB graphics card to a 128MB Radeon 9600 XT gave it an insane speed boost. Kind of like when I initially upgraded the same machine under Tiger from 256MB of memory to 768MB or 1GB or something.

garirry
May 3, 2013, 08:42 PM
Ok, I'm enough with Mac vs Linux war. Please stop, it's already enough for me... By the way, the web browser you suggested for me for Leopard, is there the same browser but for Tiger?

MisterKeeks
May 3, 2013, 08:49 PM
Ok, I'm enough with Mac vs Linux war. Please stop, it's already enough for me... By the way, the web browser you suggested for me for Leopard, is there the same browser but for Tiger?

Who?

garirry
May 3, 2013, 08:50 PM
Who?

Everyone who argument to Mac OS vs Linux.

G4TheWin
May 3, 2013, 09:43 PM

There is TenFourKit, which is similar, but its last update was in September. Also, there aren't any extensions and there's no ad blocking. There's a Webkit browser called OmniWeb that's been around since the NeXT days. It also has ad blocking and flash blocking. However, TenFourFox runs the best on my iBook G4 with Tiger, and with some extensions (Adblock Plus, Flashblock, Quicktime Enabler, NoScript) and a few about:config tweaks from a list by another user on the forum, it runs quite fast. However, NoScript is kind of a pain to configure the whitelist, but with sites that don't need it, stopping JavaScript (not related to Java, by the way) speeds stuff up. Also, to the people complaining about security holes: I use my iBook daily with TenFourFox set up with enabled plugins. However, Java's still turned off, and Flash is blocked by default with Flashblock. As long as you start the firewall and turn on stealth mode in Settings, nobody's getting into your Mac.

MisterKeeks
May 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
Everyone who argument to Mac OS vs Linux.

I meant who/what web browser.

Jethryn Freyman
May 4, 2013, 07:04 PM
TenFourFox. All the way baby!

garirry
May 4, 2013, 07:36 PM
TenFourFox. All the way baby!

Just downloaded it, seems cool. I wonder, is there any TenFourChrome or something?

G4TheWin
May 4, 2013, 08:52 PM
Just downloaded it, seems cool. I wonder, is there any TenFourChrome or something?

There's Stainless, which is something similar, but it uses the system (out of date) WebKit and needs Mac OS X Leopard to run. Tenfourfox is good enough for most people. Did you check out eyoungren's optimization thread? My speed almost doubled after applying these tweaks.

rabidz7
May 5, 2013, 12:41 PM

But it does run Chromium which is the exact same thing.

eyoungren
May 5, 2013, 01:06 PM
Seriously?
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/MacBuildInstructions (http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/MacBuildInstructions)
Prerequisites

An Intel Mac running 10.6 (“Snow Leopard”), 10.7, or 10.8. V8 (http://v8.googlecode.com/) does not support PowerPC, 10.5 ("Leopard") is unable to link the larger Chromium libraries, and the code does not link with linker gcc included with any Xcode version less than 3.2.6

rabidz7
May 5, 2013, 01:32 PM

Never mind this post.
It is not possible to easily use any chromes on PPC.

jbarley
May 5, 2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:

Never mind this post.
It is not possible to easily use any chromes on PPC..

It must be really uncomfortable always having your 'foot stuck in your mouth'.

laptoplover2
Jul 24, 2013, 05:13 PM
If you are definitely going to upgrade to Leopard, definitely you should put in as much ram as you can and make it do it's best.
Leopard doesn't get the latest version of Safari, it goes up to version 5 I think (I just upgraded a MacBook from leopard to snow leopard). It doesn't get the latest iTunes either but it has the latest iTunes 10 I think. Weather you're on Tiger or Leopard though I'd recommend OmniWeb as the browser, it's very fast like Chrome and supports a whole bunch of add-ons and customizations.

garirry
Jul 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
If you are definitely going to upgrade to Leopard, definitely you should put in as much ram as you can and make it do it's best.
Leopard doesn't get the latest version of Safari, it goes up to version 5 I think (I just upgraded a MacBook from leopard to snow leopard). It doesn't get the latest iTunes either but it has the latest iTunes 10 I think. Weather you're on Tiger or Leopard though I'd recommend OmniWeb as the browser, it's very fast like Chrome and supports a whole bunch of add-ons and customizations.

I installed Leopard already on my Mac.

ihuman:D
Jul 25, 2013, 05:17 AM
I buy Macs because they're reliable, of good quality and I can triple boot the with Mac OS X, Linux and Windows without hassle.

garirry
Jul 25, 2013, 07:26 AM
I buy Macs because they're reliable, of good quality and I can triple boot the with Mac OS X, Linux and Windows without hassle.

Same for me here. (Except the fact I don't use dual or triple boot, I use VMWare 5/Parallels 8 for virtualization)

MrPilot
Jul 25, 2013, 03:00 PM
Last update for 10.5 was in 2011, not 2007

----------

the only PPC Mac I would install Leopard on is a G5, which has the processing power to handle the greater 'bulk' of Leopard.

My Powerbook G4 flies with leopard everything turned on and really multi-tasking like putting up a 720p movie on the tv via HDMI while browsing the web or other things on the other screen.

garirry
Jul 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
Last update for 10.5 was in 2011, not 2007

----------

My Powerbook G4 flies with leopard everything turned on and really multi-tasking like putting up a 720p movie on the tv via HDMI while browsing the web or other things on the other screen.

How do you watch 720p videos? My iMac G4 is laggy with HD video.

MrPilot
Jul 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
How do you watch 720p videos? My iMac G4 is laggy with HD video.
XBMC all the way ;)

However your computer might be slower than mine... but download v11 eden of XBMC for ppc and try it out

garirry
Jul 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
XBMC all the way ;)

However your computer might be slower than mine... but download v11 eden of XBMC for ppc and try it out

Very laggy :(