Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9underpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Hello:

I was hoping that some of you may be using an Actiontec R1000H router and may be able to give me some assistance with getting this to work with Apple TV.

My setup:

Win 7 Home Premium Desktop
Actiontech R1000H Router (as supplied by phone company for Fibre television)
Ipad 3
Apple TV 3

Issue:

can't stream a movie (MP4 format) or any tv shows purchased from itunes, from itunes on the desktop, to Apple TV. The error message is "an error occured while connecting to the Airplay device Apple TV. The network connection timed out. I've tried both wireless and wired connections between the desktop and the Router. The mp4 movie is fine...tried several different movies, none will stream but all will play in itunes on my pc.

Things that are working properly:

internet, email, etc
I can stream music and photos to ATV...just can't stream a movie
ATV can play Youtube and Trailers with no issues
I can stream from the ipad to Apple TV (including the mp4 movie file)
Apple TV recognizes my Library (inside the Computers icon) and displays and plays these items

What I've tried:

updated itunes and ATV firmware to the latest versions
made sure that home sharing is turned on
rebooted everything (router, ATV, desktop pc)
tried connecting both wirelessly and wired between the router and the pc
moved the pc and router so that both were only a few feet from the ATV
searched for solutions (disable/enable WWM,etc) but nothing seems to help.
tried both a low res and a high res mp4 movie
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

9underpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Actually, I mis-spoke. You disable it on your PC.

Disabled IPv6 and that didn't help. The Apple store gave me another ATV and the problem is still there. However, I installed itunes on an XP pc and streaming works! So, this rules out the router as the culprit. There must be something specific to Windows 7 causing this problem.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Disabled IPv6 and that didn't help. The Apple store gave me another ATV and the problem is still there. However, I installed itunes on an XP pc and streaming works! So, this rules out the router as the culprit. There must be something specific to Windows 7 causing this problem.

Firewall maybe?

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Things that are working properly:

internet, email, etc
I can stream music and photos to ATV...just can't stream a movie
ATV can play Youtube and Trailers with no issues
I can stream from the ipad to Apple TV (including the mp4 movie file)
Apple TV recognizes my Library (inside the Computers icon) and displays and plays these items

Your last sentence above suggests that you can play all the items. Do you mean you can play items except the movies and TV shows?

If so I would suggest the problem is the DRM. The other items that you can play do not have the DRM wrapper, but movies and TV shows from iTunes do. One possible reason is that either your PC is not authorized or your Apple TV is not logged into the iTunes store.

9underpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Your last sentence above suggests that you can play all the items. Do you mean you can play items except the movies and TV shows?

If so I would suggest the problem is the DRM. The other items that you can play do not have the DRM wrapper, but movies and TV shows from iTunes do. One possible reason is that either your PC is not authorized or your Apple TV is not logged into the iTunes store.

I cannot stream movies or tv shows (purchased from the iTunes store) from iTunes to Apple TV. The error mentioned pops up in iTunes each time I try to do this. I can stream music from iTunes to Apple TV. I have tried both with the firewalls (windows and router) enabled and disabled. Apple TV is logged into the iTunes store.

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Why not use the "cloud" feature of your ATV and just stream your purchases from the ATV itself instead of from the desktop? Your computer doesn't even need to be turned on to watch movies or shows purchased from the iTunes store.

9underpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Why not use the "cloud" feature of your ATV and just stream your purchases from the ATV itself instead of from the desktop? Your computer doesn't even need to be turned on to watch movies or shows purchased from the iTunes store.

Yes, thanks I will do that. I can also add the files to my Library on my pc and can access the "Computers" icon on ATV. It just doesn't make sense why itunes won't work.

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
You should try disabling all firewall and anti virus software on the Win 7 PC and testing. If it works re-enable one at a time until it breaks again. I had issues with Symantec blocking the ports required for airplay. I ended up moving to another product could never get Symantec to work with airplay.

9underpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
You should try disabling all firewall and anti virus software on the Win 7 PC and testing. If it works re-enable one at a time until it breaks again. I had issues with Symantec blocking the ports required for airplay. I ended up moving to another product could never get Symantec to work with airplay.

Thanks Lumpy05. Tried that on the weekend with no success. I'm using Bitdefender Anti Virus and Firewall. I may have to completely uninstall it instead of just disabling it.

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
I cannot stream movies or tv shows (purchased from the iTunes store) from iTunes to Apple TV. The error mentioned pops up in iTunes each time I try to do this. I can stream music from iTunes to Apple TV. I have tried both with the firewalls (windows and router) enabled and disabled. Apple TV is logged into the iTunes store.

Unfortunately, I have no idea why this is happening to you. I still think it is somehow DRM related because it affects purchased movies, but not purchased music, but I have no idea what. All I can suggest is for you to try this at a friend's house who has an Apple TV or visit an Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.