PDA

View Full Version : Screwy Headphone jack on Powerbook...

BiikeMike
Oct 27, 2005, 03:11 PM
So if I use the headphone jack on my farily new (~2 months) Powerbook, and put the connector all the way in, only one side works. If I pull it halfway out they both work.

Being a sound tech, I would think that this is a problem with the stereo jack, and when I pull it half way out it is probably running in mono.

Any suggestions?

alexprice
Oct 27, 2005, 05:30 PM
So if I use the headphone jack on my farily new (~2 months) Powerbook, and put the connector all the way in, only one side works. If I pull it halfway out they both work.

Being a sound tech, I would think that this is a problem with the stereo jack, and when I pull it half way out it is probably running in mono.

Any suggestions?

In the "Sound" preference pane in "System Preferences", is the balance set correctly?

BiikeMike
Oct 27, 2005, 07:45 PM
In the "Sound" preference pane in "System Preferences", is the balance set correctly?

Yep :)

broncoball
Oct 27, 2005, 07:50 PM
this same exact thing happened to my with my ipod remote. so i brought it in to the apple store and showed it to the person at the genious bar and they gave me a new one. being that u hav only had this for 2 months its still under warrenty and u can probly replace it

BiikeMike
Oct 27, 2005, 08:01 PM
this same exact thing happened to my with my ipod remote. so i brought it in to the apple store and showed it to the person at the genious bar and they gave me a new one. being that u hav only had this for 2 months its still under warrenty and u can probly replace it

I wonder if they'll give me one of the new ones? :p

Squonk
Oct 28, 2005, 11:22 AM
I wonder if they'll give me one of the new ones? :p

Good luck on that one... :p

broncoball
Oct 30, 2005, 02:21 PM
the same thing just happened to my powerbook that i got yesterday tell me if they exchanged it.

grubber
Nov 14, 2005, 02:38 PM

My headphone jack has only put out one side now for a couple months and I just googled the problem and got here.... and now I feel stupid. That's what the problem was. I wonder how it got set like that! Well, thanks to Alexprice for pointing out the obvious and saving me an embarrassing trip to the Apple Store!

stevep
Nov 14, 2005, 03:07 PM
This is a common problem with lots of 3.5mm jacks. The cure (if you can call it that!) for a jack that works if you pull it out slightly is to fit one or two plastic washers onto the stem of the jack, pushing it (or them) all the way up to the shroud. If they're a loose fit, put a dab of superglue on to hold them. (But let it dry before testing for gawds sake).
I've even drawn a pic for you....