PDA

View Full Version : MacMini Upgrade?

seabass069
Oct 27, 2005, 03:19 PM
With a new version of the MacMini out, where can I buy a new motherboard and processor for my MacMini. I have a 1.42 with 32mg of video. Since I have been reading that a newer MacMini, 1.5 and 64 mb of video is in production, can I buy the new parts?

Danksi
Oct 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
With a new version of the MacMini out, where can I buy a new motherboard and processor for my MacMini. I have a 1.42 with 32mg of video. Since I have been reading that a newer MacMini, 1.5 and 64 mb of video is in production, can I buy the new parts?

It may be cheaper overall to sell your existing model and buy a new one...

feakbeak
Oct 28, 2005, 02:24 PM
The Mac Mini uses a custom-designed ITX mobo with the GPU and other various chipsets mounted directly on the board. Apple doesn't sell this part and you'd be hard-pressed to find a suitable replacement for an upgrade. If you did, it would be costly and very difficult to replace.

You are probably better off buying a new Mac Mini, or if you are interested in upgrading your hardware often, buy a PowerMac or build a PC if you don't mind Windows so much.

I'm more like you, I like upgrading things myself but Mac doesn't let you do that much other than with the pricey PowerMac line. I bought a Mac Mini to take OS X for a spin and I am impressed with it so next time I buy a Mac (if I can't buy and install OS X on generic x86 hardware) I'll be getting a PowerMac. It would be a beautiful thing to build a nice AMD-based box that I could keep updated and dual-boot OS X and Windows. *keeps fingers crossed*