PDA

View Full Version : [phones] S4 vs. HTC One - Which did you buy?

jrswizzle
May 2, 2013, 12:49 PM
So as an extension of the previous thread and poll which asked which would you choose, I'd like to know - of those who bought one or the other - how many of us bought each (and kept one).

Maybe add a little blurb about why you chose the way you did. Both are great devices from what I've read - each with its quirks/drawbacks. No doubt the GS4 will sell as well or better than its predecessor and hopefully the One brings HTC back from the grave as its an exquisitely designed smartphone.

As you can see below in my sig, I'm currently rocking the HTC One - upgraded from a Nexus 4 (which I still have)!

MacRumorUser
May 2, 2013, 01:06 PM
Where's the 'both' option or am I only allowed to tick the one I kept / keep :p :D

I'm happy that I chose the HTC One in the end, but both phones are excellent. Neither is perfect by any means, which means at least their is room for improvement next year, but for me the HTC One is a better fit.

AppleRobert
May 2, 2013, 01:13 PM
Already had the S4, bought the One this morning.

The devils on this forum made me do it.

jrswizzle
May 2, 2013, 01:14 PM
Where's the 'both' option or am I only allowed to tick the one I kept / keep :p :D

I'm happy that I chose the HTC One in the end, but both phones are excellent. Neither is perfect by any means, which means at least their is room for improvement next year, but for me the HTC One is a better fit.

Ya - I wanna know which you bought AND kept.... :p

vikingjunior
May 2, 2013, 02:23 PM
Waiting for Google I/O in 2 weeks then will make a choice.

swamyg1
May 2, 2013, 04:04 PM
I bought the S4, but I'm having some serious second thoughts! The Touchwiz interface is so very painful for me to use and look at. Plus, it's laggy! The phone is a powerhouse, and some of the sensor features are truly amazing, especially the hovering over emails and albums to get previews, it works flawlessly. I've been agonizing whether or not to trade it in for the HTC One.

I am curious to see what it would be like to install pure android on the S4 since the the boot loader has been unlocked. However, I'd rather have a good experience without having to much with too much of that stuff. I'm a newbie to Android and Roms, but I would still give it a shot! If I did that, I would probably lose all the sensor features so there goes that!

I'm coming from an iPhone 5 by the way. Took me quite a few days to like Android, but I must say that I'm really enjoying it! It's a totally different experience after owning every version of the iPhone.

swoosh0217
May 2, 2013, 04:34 PM
I bought the S4, but I'm having some serious second thoughts! The Touchwiz interface is so very painful for me to use and look at. Plus, it's laggy! The phone is a powerhouse, and some of the sensor features are truly amazing, especially the hovering over emails and albums to get previews, it works flawlessly. I've been agonizing whether or not to trade it in for the HTC One.

I am curious to see what it would be like to install pure android on the S4 since the the boot loader has been unlocked. However, I'd rather have a good experience without having to much with too much of that stuff. I'm a newbie to Android and Roms, but I would still give it a shot! If I did that, I would probably lose all the sensor features so there goes that!

I'm coming from an iPhone 5 by the way. Took me quite a few days to like Android, but I must say that I'm really enjoying it! It's a totally different experience after owning every version of the iPhone.

Your situation/experienced is the same as mine. I've owned every iPhone model including the 5. After using the HTC One at the T-mobile store the other day and comparing it to my iPhone 5, I said to myself " I have to get this". The screen on my iPhone 5 looks so small compare to the HTC One but the screen comparison is almost identical. Very sharp and bright!

So I decided to purchase One and I'm very happy. I don't like the S4 because of the AMOLED display. To me, if I'm going to get another phone besides my iPhone 5, its gotta to be the same LCD screen which is why I went with HTC One. :D

xchampx13
May 2, 2013, 04:35 PM
I bought the S4 here, loving it so far :) I don't really have any of the issues a lot of the reviews talk about

bembol
May 2, 2013, 04:41 PM
Why no option for "Both." LOL

I couldn't decide so I picked up the hTc One (32GB, Silver) and Samsung Galaxy S4 (8.44GB, White).

So far I'm loving both, I know I will have to sell one when Note 3 comes out.

MacRumorUser
May 2, 2013, 04:43 PM
and Samsung Galaxy S4 (8.44GB, White).

That made me giggle.... Mind you it is true :)

bembol
May 2, 2013, 05:07 PM
That made me giggle.... Mind you it is true :)

I didn't know until today. I usually have my 64GB but it's on RMA. :(

gmanist1000
May 2, 2013, 05:11 PM
So as an extension of the previous thread and poll which asked which would you choose, I'd like to know - of those who bought one or the other - how many of us bought each (and kept one).

Maybe add a little blurb about why you chose the way you did. Both are great devices from what I've read - each with its quirks/drawbacks. No doubt the GS4 will sell as well or better than its predecessor and hopefully the One brings HTC back from the grave as its an exquisitely designed smartphone.

As you can see below in my sig, I'm currently rocking the HTC One - upgraded from a Nexus 4 (which I still have)!

I bought both to review for my YouTube channel. I'm honestly loving both of them! These are two phones I would strongly consider leaving the iPhone for.

It's so hard to pick a winner between both of them though.... amazing phones. I never thought I would say that with Android.

wVhENRvyzn8

tbayrgs
May 2, 2013, 05:16 PM
HTC One (Dev edition) for me. I wasn't a big fan of the build materials in the latest Samsungs but tolerated it with my Note 2. After using the One for the past 10 days, I wouldn't think of getting another Samsung as they're currently designed. I test drove an S4 at the local carrier shop and after using the One, it feels/looks like a cheap plastic toy (I know it's not, but that's how it feels to me). And while HTC Sense is far from ideal, it's far better than the overblown cartoon-like TouchWiz.

I likely won't consider another Android device until we see the rumored Moto X (or whatever it ends up being called) and the next Nexus.

MacRumorUser
May 2, 2013, 05:19 PM
I bought both to review for my YouTube channel. I'm honestly loving both of them! These are two phones I would strongly consider leaving the iPhone for.

It's so hard to pick a winner between both of them though.... amazing phones. I never thought I would say that with Android.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wVhENRvyzn8)

Yep both killer phones the " better " will really depend on what any individual puts greater importance / emphasis on. There is no right or wrong really as its personal subjective preference, but I am grateful HTC have put out a really decent handset because Android would be worse for ware if there wasn't any competition to Samsung.

gmanist1000
May 2, 2013, 05:22 PM
Yep both killer phones the " better " will really depend on what any individual puts greater importance / emphasis on. There is no right or wrong really as its personal subjective preference, but I am grateful HTC have put out a really decent handset because Android would be worse for ware if there wasn't any competition to Samsung.

I completely agree. We've come to a time where there isn't really a "better" phone, it's all personal preference (and this is a good thing).

dojoman
May 2, 2013, 05:24 PM
S4 is a mess with too many toggles in pull down menu.

swamyg1
May 2, 2013, 06:22 PM
I swear, the Touchwiz interface would not be so bad if it weren't for the ridiculous dialer, messaging, and ringer software. Half of it looks like decently thought out UI while the other half is just HORRID. I mean ugly and unintelligible. It's looks like bad wireframes, not finished design.

From a build perspective, it doesn't really matter to me since I put a hard case on nearly all of my phones... I have small kids and they're crazy!!!

But, imagine running stock Android on the S4. It's the most powerful phone out right now by far. It would be blazingly fast and impressive!!

3bs
May 2, 2013, 06:51 PM

Have you decided which you're keeping? I'm tempted and probably will buy one of them next week.

Edit: nvm saw post #2 and you kept the One.

The Game 161
May 2, 2013, 06:56 PM
S4...but still waiting on it lol

bmac4
May 2, 2013, 06:57 PM
What about the nexus 4? I know it came out at the end of last year, but still has the latest android and will be getting KLP. It is a power house, and smoothness wise keeps up will both of these phone if not even smoother. Sorry I know this phone old news and these are the new "cool" toys. I just thought I would throw that out there.

daveathall
May 2, 2013, 07:01 PM
I completely agree. We've come to a time where there isn't really a "better" phone, it's all personal preference (and this is a good thing).

Yep, I think you are spot on, although I opted for the S4, it could very well have been the HTC One, I am very happy with my choice, from what I have seen, both are absolutely superb.

MacRumorUser
May 2, 2013, 07:38 PM
I swear, the Touchwiz interface would not be so bad if it weren't for the ridiculous dialer, messaging, and ringer software. Half of it looks like decently thought out UI while the other half is just HORRID. I mean ugly and unintelligible. It's looks like bad wireframes, not finished design.

From a build perspective, it doesn't really matter to me since I put a hard case on nearly all of my phones... I have small kids and they're crazy!!!

But, imagine running stock Android on the S4. It's the most powerful phone out right now by far. It would be blazingly fast and impressive!!

Exactly what I feel and the reason in the end I decided to keep the HTC One.

As I said it feels like Samsung hired 46 different design teams and the result from a GUI perspective is inconsistent and at times ugly as sin.

Stock android on an S4 would have been awesome.

steve31
May 2, 2013, 07:42 PM
I have both. Got the S4 for free from a unused company credit I had. But bought the One at full price. Love both but if I had to pick one it would be the One.

The Game 161
May 2, 2013, 07:50 PM
One of those options that are good options either way.

onthecouchagain
May 2, 2013, 07:55 PM
Put me down for the One.

I never gave the S4 a fair chance, and I think I can live with that. The One is shaping up to be a great device. HTC just needs to patch up some issues, give us 4.2, and it should be groovy.

Garen
May 2, 2013, 08:04 PM
Got the the HTC one never considered the GS4.

joshwithachance
May 2, 2013, 08:06 PM
It's the HTC One for me. The S4 is okay, but TouchWiz is beyond bloated, and the phone itself just doesn't feel high end to me.

Dr McKay
May 2, 2013, 08:25 PM
Exactly what I feel and the reason in the end I decided to keep the HTC One.

As I said it feels like Samsung hired 46 different design teams and the result from a GUI perspective is inconsistent and at times ugly as sin.

Stock android on an S4 would have been awesome.

I got the S4, but the instant Cyanogenmod comes out for it, I'll be putting it on.

MacRumorUser
May 2, 2013, 08:27 PM
I got the S4, but the instant Cyanogenmod comes out for it, I'll be putting it on.

It will rock with cyanogenmod :-) I'm a chicken and the rom threads over on XDA always leave me perplexed and running for cover :)

Dr McKay
May 2, 2013, 08:46 PM
It will rock with cyanogenmod :-) I'm a chicken and the rom threads over on XDA always leave me perplexed and running for cover :)

I've never ventured anywhere near custom ROMS before. I've only been with Android for about 6 months when I picked up the Nexus 4. I eventually rooted that. My friend who also knew nothing about custom ROMS managed to learn how to flash one and successfully flashed his GS3 with a ROM in around 30 minutes, so Im hoping the instructions will be clear.

gmanist1000
May 2, 2013, 09:06 PM
Put me down for the One.

I never gave the S4 a fair chance, and I think I can live with that. The One is shaping up to be a great device. HTC just needs to patch up some issues, give us 4.2, and it should be groovy.

Any word on when 4.2 will make its way to the One?

MacRumorUser
May 2, 2013, 09:17 PM
Any word on when 4.2 will make its way to the One?

I suspect HTC will update sense at same time. Just updating the android version without changing anything else wouldn't have any noticeable benefits to the user, so I suspect HTC will roll out a sense update to fix a few things such as more sources to Blinkfeed, option to remove services from gallery (Facebook) and not just albums, and of course put the configurable menu key / back button back into it.

Hopefully it'll arrive sooner rather than later, but as for official confirmation - not yet.

gmanist1000
May 2, 2013, 10:55 PM
I suspect HTC will update sense at same time. Just updating the android version without changing anything else wouldn't have any noticeable benefits to the user, so I suspect HTC will roll out a sense update to fix a few things such as more sources to Blinkfeed, option to remove services from gallery (Facebook) and not just albums, and of course put the configurable menu key / back button back into it.

Hopefully it'll arrive sooner rather than later, but as for official confirmation - not yet.

Makes "Sense". Samsung just pushed out a stability update for the GS4, hopefully we get some love on the One!

swamyg1
May 3, 2013, 12:27 AM
Wow impressive samsung pushed out an update. Can't wait to get that on att. Htc is not so great on the update front from what I hear.

MacRumorUser
May 3, 2013, 01:05 AM
Wow impressive samsung pushed out an update. Can't wait to get that on att. Htc is not so great on the update front from what I hear.

HTC already rolled out an update to improve camera, boomsound and other little bits.

So far it has rolled out to global international devices but not USA ones.

mattopotamus
May 3, 2013, 09:03 AM
there is no clear winner in the s4 vs htc one fight, but in my opinion s4 is better because of its gesture functionality, multitasking, camera, adaptive screen etc.

I can see the other points, but have you tried the gestures? They are very clunky and actually slow down productivity.

rockitdog
May 3, 2013, 09:09 AM
Put me down for the One (again). Purchasing it again today. Decided life was better with the One than with my iPhone 5.

AppleRobert
May 3, 2013, 09:23 AM
The software version I have on my ONE is 1.29.651.7, I assume the latest.

I had to update several apps since I just got the One yesterday.

Liking it so far but I have to give it as much time as I spent on the S4. Blinkfeed is growing on me.

I'll ask here as I guess it would not matter but I have an old Samsung Exhibit smartphone with music loaded into a folder with the same name and that is where I access it. Can I get that music into Google Play Music so all phones can share what I have?

Something tells me a decision between the S4 and One isn't going to be easy, not necessarily a bad thing as I hope it is going to be tough. :)

----------

I can see the other points, but have you tried the gestures? They are very clunky and actually slow down productivity.

I assume having gestures enabled hurts battery life as well.

gmanist1000
May 3, 2013, 11:05 AM
HTC already rolled out an update to improve camera, boomsound and other little bits.

So far it has rolled out to global international devices but not USA ones.

Weird, I have the unlocked international version but I haven't seen any update with my One.

----------

Put me down for the One (again). Purchasing it again today. Decided life was better with the One than with my iPhone 5.

Purchasing it.... again? You went from iPhone, to One, back to iPhone, now to the One again? Hehehe.

3bs
May 3, 2013, 11:13 AM
I've never ventured anywhere near custom ROMS before. I've only been with Android for about 6 months when I picked up the Nexus 4. I eventually rooted that. My friend who also knew nothing about custom ROMS managed to learn how to flash one and successfully flashed his GS3 with a ROM in around 30 minutes, so Im hoping the instructions will be clear.

It's relatively easy and you probably can't go wrong if you follow the steps. I'm no expert but I've rooted and flashed a Galaxy Nexus, S3, Nexus 4 and 7.

Generally things are easier with Nexus devices.

Six8
May 3, 2013, 11:15 AM
Kept my One for a week then traded for a S4. Couldn't be happier

MacRumorUser
May 3, 2013, 12:07 PM
Weird, I have the unlocked international version but I haven't seen any update with my One.

----------

Purchasing it.... again? You went from iPhone, to One, back to iPhone, now to the One again? Hehehe.

What version number are you on ?

The latest is 1.29.401.12 for unlocked international model.

For carrier versions it's slightly different.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/934036_571995792832424_1342899825_n.jpg

gmanist1000
May 3, 2013, 01:14 PM
What version number are you on ?

The latest is 1.29.401.12 for unlocked international model.

For carrier versions it's slightly different.

Image (https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/934036_571995792832424_1342899825_n.jpg)

I'm on 1.29.1540.3 :confused:

MacRumorUser
May 3, 2013, 01:50 PM
They released an update to the Zoe? Did they give the option of turning off the BlinkFeed upon update??

No. I don't think you'll get that for a while. HTC are trying to court developers and persuade them to integrate their applications with blinkfeed so content from other apps is available on it. By having it on all their devices with sense 5 (and this includes the promised updates to HTC One X, One X+, One S, One SV, HTC butterfly J, Droid DNA etc..) by default it acts as greater leverage in trying to pursuade the developers to support it. By allowing it to be disabled completely it would be counter to their actual gameplan for the device.

I can appreciate you might not like blinkfeed. The only thing I suggest is just using it for your calendar and weather and sticking it a few pages to the left. But personally for me - I like the vision HTC has for blinkfeed and it is one of the features on any smartphone that has the possibly the greatest potential.

----------

I'm on 1.29.1540.3 :confused:

From what I understand its the last part that tells you if you have the newest or not. So its actually .3 software version of 1.29 The bit in the middle it territory / device / carrier

So as .3 is less that .12 - no you don't have the latest version as yet. Hopefully you will get it soon.

1.29.1540.12 or .11 would likely be the update version.

spinedoc77
May 3, 2013, 02:01 PM
I bought neither, I actually went back to an iphone 5. Many things with Android were irking me, and I also felt that both the One and the S4 had flaws that I didn't want to live with. I really leaned towards the One and almost pulled the trigger, but in the end for MY uses and needs I felt more comfortable with the iphone. I will miss Android quite a bit as there was a ton to like.

mattopotamus
May 3, 2013, 02:03 PM
Clunky? I don't think so. Have you seen phonedog's review for the device? Looks seamless. I guess HTC's BlinkFeed puts it down for me. If only they could allow users to turn it off. I mean, i dont want to turn my screen on and watch news coming up..that's a newspaper, not a phone. Anyways, both devices are classy, it's a win win for you if you decide to buy any of em..for me, i guess, the octa core wins.

----------

They released an update to the Zoe? Did they give the option of turning off the BlinkFeed upon update??

I've used one and the gestures are not fluid at all. Eye scroll and air gestures are more cumbersome than anything. Using a finger is a lot more comfortable than tilting my head and the air gestures lag. This is all based on hands on experience.

MacRumorUser
May 3, 2013, 02:06 PM
I bought neither, I actually went back to an iphone 5. Many things with Android were irking me, and I also felt that both the One and the S4 had flaws that I didn't want to live with. I really leaned towards the One and almost pulled the trigger, but in the end for MY uses and needs I felt more comfortable with the iphone. I will miss Android quite a bit as there was a ton to like.

Your experiment with Android was interesting :-) I do think the more you utilise different devices, the more you appreciate the 'good things' in devices that you once took for granted and perhaps never gave any true appreciation for.

The grass is not greener - but different. But sometimes walking in a different field for a while, make you appreciate and perhaps now miss what you had in your old.

Enjoy the iPhone 5 spinedoc it is a great device at the end of the day :)

gmanist1000
May 3, 2013, 02:11 PM
From what I understand its the last part that tells you if you have the newest or not. So its actually .3 software version of 1.29 The bit in the middle it territory / device / carrier

So as .3 is less that .12 - no you don't have the latest version as yet. Hopefully you will get it soon.

1.29.1540.12 or .11 would likely be the update version.

Okay! Thanks for the information. I'll let you know when I get the update :cool:

Lava Lamp Freak
May 3, 2013, 02:13 PM
I'm waiting for the S4 on Verizon. Unless something new for Verizon is announced at I/O, Nexus 4 or X Phone, I'll be getting the S4.

After spending some time with both the One and the S4, I just don't like the One. The S4 feels better in the hand. I have an iPhone 5 now and find the S4 more pleasant to hold. I honestly don't understand the complaints about the build of the S4. To each his own.

spinedoc77
May 3, 2013, 02:15 PM
Your experiment with Android was interesting :-) I do think the more you utilise different devices, the more you appreciate the 'good things' in devices that you once took for granted and perhaps never gave any true appreciation for.

The grass is not greener - but different. But sometimes walking in a different field for a while, make you appreciate and perhaps now miss what you had in your old.

Enjoy the iPhone 5 spinedoc it is a great device at the end of the day :)

Yes, I had the Note 2 for 2 months and I just couldn't come to grips with the size (no pun intended) and Android just had some deficiencies for my work flow, not deficiencies in general, but specific to MY work flow and needs.

I like Android quite a bit though, and my experimentation isn't done yet, but there isn't anything out there quite yet to steer me away from the iphone. Keep in mind though I'm a business user, my needs are 80% talk, 5% navigation and 5% messaging pretty much. I had a LOT of fun with Android, it's got some really neat features and will hugely miss widgets which iOS sorely needs.

bembol
May 3, 2013, 03:45 PM
In the Fall, I want to see a hTc One & Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in my signature. Hopefully we get 4.2.2 by then,

Vegastouch
May 3, 2013, 05:07 PM
I havent bought one yet and havent been able to check out a GS4 yet but i do love my GS3. I did mess with a HTC One today.

Nice phone,.....thin and light but i didnt like the light colored one in person. Just dont care for the color. Id get black and i did like the speakers but im just not a fan of HTC and probably wouldnt buy one. I actually liked the Nexus 4 better as far as the feel and look of it but i know the camera on the N4 sucks.

The thing i like about the GS4 is the screen is brighter than the GS3 and comparing my GS3 screen today to the N4, i liked the brighter icons and such so the GS4 will be great in that department so soon ill get to try one out.

May get a GS4 sometime down the road but will wait to see what the info on what the N5 will be like. Im in no hurry.

daneoni
May 4, 2013, 07:32 AM
GS4 is more expensive than the One here and only comes with 8GB of usable internal storage. The choice is obvious.

rockitdog
May 4, 2013, 07:37 AM
GS4 is more expensive than the One here and only comes with 8GB of usable internal storage. The choice is obvious.

They majorly dropped the ball there! Just shows how much useless bloatware they throw on their devices.

MacRumorUser
May 4, 2013, 07:47 AM
They majorly dropped the ball there! Just shows how much useless bloatware they throw on their devices.

They could have mitigated the issue by simply going with 32gb as standard tbh.

The biggest issue with the 8GB is simply down to the fact that currently only apps can be run from main storage and not MicroSD.

Samsung response

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/3/4298230/samsung-microsd-makes-up-for-lacking-galaxy-s4-storage

"To offer the ultimate mobile experience to our users, Samsung provides [a] microSD slot on Galaxy S4 for extension of memory"

Fails to take into account that a user with Horn, Modern Combat 4, Batman, Shadow Gun etc.. is going to be running into storage issues for their apps and no matter how big a MicroSD card slot they have isn't going to rectify it.

The Game 161
May 4, 2013, 08:00 AM
Yeah if you play big games its an issue

Luckily I don't really.

mattopotamus
May 4, 2013, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=MacRumorUser;17226356]No. I don't think you'll get that for a while. HTC are trying to court developers and persuade them to integrate their applications with blinkfeed so content from other apps is available on it. By having it on all their devices with sense 5 (and this includes the promised updates to HTC One X, One X+, One S, One SV, HTC butterfly J, Droid DNA etc..) by default it acts as greater leverage in trying to pursuade the developers to support it. By allowing it to be disabled completely it would be counter to their actual gameplan for the device.

I can appreciate you might not like blinkfeed. The only thing I suggest is just using it for your calendar and weather and sticking it a few pages to the left. But personally for me - I like the vision HTC has for blinkfeed and it is one of the features on any smartphone that has the possibly the greatest potential.

I understand, but how would giving users the capability to turn it on or off as per their convenience be of any harm on what HTC's BlinkFeed will be offering? Magazines and websites will be more than pleased to give their support to a brand which is selling their flagship like crazy..if only it could have that option....but oh well, i still like the One, it's good. :)[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

You're not satisfied by your S4? At all? :confused: okay now that's something which might change my decision. :(

Sorry, I didn't mean it's not a great phone. Just the gestures and smart scroll are more for show than actual use. The screen looks great and b..c it is amoled it is a lot of pop. Personally I think the one is the better design and is more fluid. There is still a little lag on the s4. Overall I went back to the n4 though b.c there is nothing I feel like I am missing out on. I don't take a ton of photos so I mostly care about getting updates at this point. LTE is awesome, but not a deal breaker for me.

LorPGDL
May 4, 2013, 09:55 AM
HTC ONE user here

never really considered the GS 4, the only contender was the Iphone 5 for me, but now that ive used the one for a couple of days ive decided to keep it.

there are very few issued with the one from being the perfect phone, most notable being the camera.

the pictures look great on the ones screen but consistently mediocre on a big screen.

the battery is just average.

no mass storage mode, have to use stupid htc sync manager, not as bad as itunes but still, why would you get rid of one of the biggest advantages of android?

htc blinkfeed lacks feed sources.

dropbox upload unusable because of zoes.

build quality is not perfect. stil very good, just not top notch.

the camera is hard to stomach, everything else is just a minor inconvenience.

gmanist1000
May 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
HTC ONE user here

never really considered the GS 4, the only contender was the Iphone 5 for me, but now that ive used the one for a couple of days ive decided to keep it.

there are very few issued with the one from being the perfect phone, most notable being the camera.

the pictures look great on the ones screen but consistently mediocre on a big screen.

the battery is just average.

no mass storage mode, have to use stupid htc sync manager, not as bad as itunes but still, why would you get rid of one of the biggest advantages of android?

htc blinkfeed lacks feed sources.

dropbox upload unusable because of zoes.

build quality is not perfect. stil very good, just not top notch.

the camera is hard to stomach, everything else is just a minor inconvenience.

I'm curious on what your complaints on the build quality are? I think the design is pretty close to perfect.

----------

There's definitely A LOT of bloatware and crap I just don't need on the GS4... pretty annoying. Luckily, I can just get rid of most of it.

MacRumorUser
May 4, 2013, 12:00 PM
no mass storage mode, have to use stupid htc sync manager, not as bad as itunes but still, why would you get rid of one of the biggest advantages of android? .

Nope you don't have to use that, just download android file transfer and it'll basically allow straight drag and drop on your mac. HTC Sync manager is never used by me.

I used it on the S4 too because Samsung Kies on Mac is even worse than HTC Sync :-)

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Vegastouch
May 4, 2013, 12:11 PM
They could have mitigated the issue by simply going with 32gb as standard tbh.

The biggest issue with the 8GB is simply down to the fact that currently only apps can be run from main storage and not MicroSD.

Samsung response

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/3/4298230/samsung-microsd-makes-up-for-lacking-galaxy-s4-storage

Fails to take into account that a user with Horn, Modern Combat 4, Batman, Shadow Gun etc.. is going to be running into storage issues for their apps and no matter how big a MicroSD card slot they have isn't going to rectify it.

They do make a 32GB version if im not mistaken. Is it not out yet? And you can always root your phone and delete all the bloatware and unroot it.

MacRumorUser
May 4, 2013, 12:23 PM
They do make a 32GB version if im not mistaken. Is it not out yet? And you can always root your phone and delete all the bloatware and unroot it.

Yeah it's not out anywhere yet.

LorPGDL
May 4, 2013, 01:08 PM
I'm curious on what your complaints on the build quality are? I think the design is pretty close to perfect.

----------

There's definitely A LOT of bloatware and crap I just don't need on the GS4... pretty annoying. Luckily, I can just get rid of most of it.

indeed, the design is very close to perfect. but i am talking about fit and finish here - at least with my model it is not "zero-gap" as advertised, there are noticeable gaps between the aluminium speaker grills and the polycarbonate layer they rest upon. furthermore, there is a noticeable height difference between the glass and the speaker grills, its not plain. the micro sim trays plastic feels rougher than the rest too.

so all in all, greatly designed phone, build quality not so much. its a known issue here in germany where weve already got it for 2 months now.

@macrumoruser: cheers for that, no more stupid htc sync manager for me! i agree, kies was even worse, only thing worse was itunes :D

onthecouchagain
May 4, 2013, 01:15 PM
Nope you don't have to use that, just download android file transfer and it'll basically allow straight drag and drop on your mac. HTC Sync manager is never used by me.

I used it on the S4 too because Samsung Kies on Mac is even worse than HTC Sync :-)

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Android File Transfer is better but it's not perfect. Wish it would just be a regular ol' "hard drive" when plugging into Macs. :T

Anyway, do you know how to prevent the HTC Sync folder from opening? It's really annoying to have to X it away each time I plug into my comp.

MacRumorUser
May 4, 2013, 01:31 PM
Android File Transfer is better but it's not perfect. Wish it would just be a regular ol' "hard drive" when plugging into Macs. :T

Anyway, do you know how to prevent the HTC Sync folder from opening? It's really annoying to have to X it away each time I plug into my comp.

Don't know.

Even the S4 doesn't mount like an external drive either. Is it google that has done away with it in JB ?

Sync folder, you mean the one that as the software pre-loaded on? If so not sure but should be a simple apple script to stop it mounting.

Vegastouch
May 4, 2013, 06:19 PM
Don't know.

Even the S4 doesn't mount like an external drive either. Is it google that has done away with it in JB ?

Sync folder, you mean the one that as the software pre-loaded on? If so not sure but should be a simple apple script to stop it mounting.

It should mount as a external drive. I think you have to download some drivers.

onthecouchagain
May 4, 2013, 08:52 PM
I never knew you really couldn't load apps onto the expandable SD card. That really makes it a lot less of an advantage than everyone makes it out to be.

MacRumorUser
May 5, 2013, 12:24 AM
It should mount as a external drive. I think you have to download some drivers.

But where do you get the driver? Maybe if you install Kies ?

Vegastouch
May 5, 2013, 12:35 AM
But where do you get the driver? Maybe if you install Kies ?

Its been awhile so yeah, either from Kies or Samsungs website but I do believe the drivers were included in Kies.
Maybe someone else can confirm that as well.

gmanist1000
May 5, 2013, 05:01 PM
indeed, the design is very close to perfect. but i am talking about fit and finish here - at least with my model it is not "zero-gap" as advertised, there are noticeable gaps between the aluminium speaker grills and the polycarbonate layer they rest upon. furthermore, there is a noticeable height difference between the glass and the speaker grills, its not plain. the micro sim trays plastic feels rougher than the rest too.

so all in all, greatly designed phone, build quality not so much. its a known issue here in germany where weve already got it for 2 months now.

@macrumoruser: cheers for that, no more stupid htc sync manager for me! i agree, kies was even worse, only thing worse was itunes :D

Interesting. My model doesn't have any of those things you mentioned. Maybe quality control issues? I have, however, heard of those issues from other people.

LorPGDL
May 6, 2013, 05:37 AM
Interesting. My model doesn't have any of those things you mentioned. Maybe quality control issues? I have, however, heard of those issues from other people.

hmm, maybe i should return it then. a bit scared ill get one without the nokia microphone then though.

mattopotamus
May 6, 2013, 07:07 AM
hmm, maybe i should return it then. a bit scared ill get one without the nokia microphone then though.

how can you tell which microphone you have?

MacRumorUser
May 6, 2013, 07:11 AM

Actually any you will pick up now will have the nokia microphone. The injunction stops them from using them, but they 'are' allowed to use parts stock they already have - and likely they will have quite a lot of them stockpiled.

Fynd
May 6, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hard to go wrong here, but now that I have CM10 on my S4 I'm beyond happy with my choice. I feel like I have a nexus... that has a 5" 1080p screen, an sd card slot, a 2600mah removable battery, a fantastic camera, a physical home button and LTE. The hardware underneath really flies now :)

I was NOT happy with my S4 on stock, it was a laggy mess. Stuttering, delays, etc made it feel like a 2 year old pre-JB device.

My only real issue with the phone now is the screen has a greenish tint when viewin off-angle. Minor, but worth mentioning.

lazard
May 6, 2013, 10:11 AM
holding out for the 32gb S4.

FlipCup
May 6, 2013, 10:26 AM
I still have yet to choose a One or S4. I am leaning towards the One, mainly because I don't feel like waiting for the 32GB Samsung S4. I also like the idea that the One has already been rooted and has ROMs available. Only if AT&T would release some damn information about the 32GB S4!!!

MacRumorUser
May 6, 2013, 10:32 AM
Hard to go wrong here, but now that I have CM10 on my S4 I'm beyond happy with my choice. I feel like I have a nexus... that has a 5" 1080p screen, an sd card slot, a 2600mah removable battery, a fantastic camera, a physical home button and LTE. The hardware underneath really flies now :).

Question does putting CM10 on it remove the samsung camera app, therefore you lose all the smart auto and HDR settings...

Fynd
May 6, 2013, 10:51 AM
Question does putting CM10 on it remove the samsung camera app, therefore you lose all the smart auto and HDR settings...

Yep, removes samsung's app. CM's camera app is good, though. ~20 scene settings, including several night modes. Power shutter/volume zoom, sd card saving, burst mode, touch focus options, iso options, live filters, handsfree, size settings, exposure, HDR, etc are all there. Just missing the special shots (drama, beauty face, etc).

gmanist1000
May 6, 2013, 10:51 AM
I still have yet to choose a One or S4. I am leaning towards the One, mainly because I don't feel like waiting for the 32GB Samsung S4. I also like the idea that the One has already been rooted and has ROMs available. Only if AT&T would release some damn information about the 32GB S4!!!

I've always been the type to say waiting for something you REALLY want is best. You never know what could have been.... but if you're that impatient then it's not like the One is a bad choice :)

soulreaver99
May 6, 2013, 10:52 AM
I went with the HTC One mainly because of internal storage and the developer edition supporting AT&T LTE in the US. I know that the Galaxy S4 has microSD expandability but those are only good for media files. I've run into storage space issues when I had the Galaxy S3 and the Note II so I wanted to try something different. So far I am happy with the HTC One :)

MacRumorUser
May 6, 2013, 10:58 AM
Yep, removes samsung's app. CM's camera app is good, though. ~20 scene settings, including several night modes. Power shutter/volume zoom, sd card saving, burst mode, touch focus options, iso options, live filters, handsfree, size settings, exposure, HDR, etc are all there. Just missing the special shots (drama, beauty face, etc).

Cool thanks :-)

LorPGDL
May 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
Actually any you will pick up now will have the nokia microphone. The injunction stops them from using them, but they 'are' allowed to use parts stock they already have - and likely they will have quite a lot of them stockpiled.

thats the thing, i have no idea how many they have stockpiled, could be enough for a week, a month, but probably not much more as then the storage costs would be too high - its all about a lean supply chain.

i have no idea how to check which microphone is built in other than sawing the phone in two, but i believe the replacement will be quite inferior.

gmanist1000
May 6, 2013, 10:15 PM
I went with the HTC One mainly because of internal storage and the developer edition supporting AT&T LTE in the US. I know that the Galaxy S4 has microSD expandability but those are only good for media files. I've run into storage space issues when I had the Galaxy S3 and the Note II so I wanted to try something different. So far I am happy with the HTC One :)

Doesn't the GS4 have 64GB of storage? And to get that with the One you need AT&T... correct me if I'm wrong.

mattopotamus
May 8, 2013, 07:07 AM

thats the thing, i have no idea how many they have stockpiled, could be enough for a week, a month, but probably not much more as then the storage costs would be too high - its all about a lean supply chain.

i have no idea how to check which microphone is built in other than sawing the phone in two, but i believe the replacement will be quite inferior.

Could one of you elaborate on this? Are some using Nokia HD mics and some not? Is it possible the new mics would be better?

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 08:27 AM
Could one of you elaborate on this? Are some using Nokia HD mics and some not? Is it possible the new mics would be better?

Basically HTC are using a special HDR microphone in the one.

But a teardown revealed the part was actually a Nokia HAAC, which Nokia developed 'exclusively' for Nokia handsets.

Clearly HTC's suppliers sold HTC HDR microphones that they had signed an exclusivity agreement with Nokia to produce.

This ruling basically says HTC can use up their supplies but must cease using them once they have used up that supply chain, and therefore HTC must source a new microphone part.

However yes you are quiet right, there is no reason to not believe that the new part could actually be 'better' than the current Nokia HAAC part. But I imagine in reality whatever they swap to, it will be virtually indistinguishable to most users regardless.

mattopotamus
May 8, 2013, 08:28 AM

But a teardown revealed the part was actually a Nokia HAAC, which Nokia developed 'exclusively' for Nokia handsets.

Clearly HTC's suppliers sold HTC HDR microphones that they had signed an exclusivity agreement with Nokia to produce.

This ruling basically says HTC can use up their supplies but must cease using them once they have used up that supply chain, and therefore HTC must source a new microphone part.

However yes you are quiet right, there is no reason to not believe that the new part could actually be 'better' than the current Nokia HAAC part. But I imagine in reality whatever they swap to, it will be virtually indistinguishable to most users regardless.

Thank you good sir!

zbarvian
May 8, 2013, 09:46 AM
Put me down for the One.

Dang, why the change of heart? Last time I checked, you were pretty smitten by the S4 still.

3bs
May 8, 2013, 10:22 AM
although i love that all aluminum uni-body of HTC one but i will buy the galaxy s4 because i love that 1080P AMOLED screen, 13MP camera, air-view, touch-wiz, swift-key keyboard, etc. it's an amazing phone.

SwiftKey is available on the Play Store.

LorPGDL
May 8, 2013, 10:40 AM

as much as i would like you to be true, i would not be as sure that there are mics out there that perform as good as nokias. however, i have no idea about the technology so i just wish and hope :)

MacRumorUser
May 8, 2013, 03:29 PM
Dang, why the change of heart? Last time I checked, you were pretty smitten by the S4 still.

That was ages ago ;)

Or at least it seems like it :)

zbarvian
May 8, 2013, 09:08 PM

That was ages ago ;)

Or at least it seems like it :)

Yeah, I haven't been on here for a while. Good decision on his part, if I do say so myself.

maxosx
May 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
Just received my HTC One, will root it on my day off. I don't care for the stock config. But that's also why I enjoy Android, I've been rooting for years. XDA is but one example of a one stop resource for all kinds of builds, ROM's, etc.

Just finished rooting & performing a lot of optimizing of my S4, I'm a bit more fond of Samsung so I already knew exactly how I wanted it.

I'm so glad we have choices. I still use my iP5 but less & less. If Apple gives us a 5" display I'll buy one immediately. The rest is of little interest, it's already a good basic smartphone.

----------

SwiftKey is available on the Play Store.

It's my favorite. A strong plus for Android phones.

soulreaver99
May 8, 2013, 11:46 PM
I got a Galaxy S4 for work and was excited right up to the point where I held it in my hands. I never realized how cheap the phone feels especially on the edges. The build quality is worse than the Note II and I don't remember the GS3 feeling this bad. In terms of use, the phone feels laggy and I ran into some issues when using the email app where the keyboard doesn't pop up unless I completely close and restart the app.

My HTC One is being exchanged right now because of a dead pixel. Hope to get it back soon. I'm going to tinker with the S4 in the meantime and hopefully the experience will get better. You can take my opinions with a grain of salt but this is my experience so far and I did not have a good first impression.

ajumbaje
May 9, 2013, 11:28 AM
How is audio output through the headphones for each device? I'll be using bluetooth or a wired headset(nothing too fancy).

Currently have an iPhone 4S in case anyone can make a comparison

dapitts08
May 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
just sold my iPhone 4s today and got the HTC One.

so far no complaints.

i haven't used it much yet though.

gmanist1000
May 9, 2013, 02:53 PM
How is audio output through the headphones for each device? I'll be using bluetooth or a wired headset(nothing too fancy).

They sound the same to me. Is there really a difference between devices on each? Messing with the EQ on different phones can make them sound different, though.

----------

I got a Galaxy S4 for work and was excited right up to the point where I held it in my hands. I never realized how cheap the phone feels especially on the edges. The build quality is worse than the Note II and I don't remember the GS3 feeling this bad. In terms of use, the phone feels laggy and I ran into some issues when using the email app where the keyboard doesn't pop up unless I completely close and restart the app.

My HTC One is being exchanged right now because of a dead pixel. Hope to get it back soon. I'm going to tinker with the S4 in the meantime and hopefully the experience will get better. You can take my opinions with a grain of salt but this is my experience so far and I did not have a good first impression.

It feels cheaper than most phones, yes... and if you bend the phone (even slightly) you will hear lots of nasty cracks and pops.

----------

just sold my iPhone 4s today and got the HTC One.

so far no complaints.

i haven't used it much yet though.

Be sure to check back and tell us your thoughts, I'm curious!

MacRumorUser
May 9, 2013, 03:35 PM

I did this test side by side..... Other than camera test this was one of the more important test for me as I do like using my phone to listen to music to.

Unquestionably the HTC One wins. Without beats enabled the sound is very similar to each other, with beats enabled you hear a lot of crisper extra detail in your music. A guitar riff or a violin solo that was hidden in the track is suddenly audible on the one. Beats audio works with bluetooth too. So yeah for clarity of sound through a complete mix of music - the one wins.

Added to the fact that the stock music app is better on the HTC one - the Samsung music app is barebones - means it further wins the music test. Add FM radio built into the One and none for the S4 too.

Regardless of those things, just on sound quality alone - the sound quality on headphones is better - no question imho.

ajumbaje
May 9, 2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks, MRU.

Also saw some reviews on amazon that the spigen ultra crystal(my preferred brand) screen protector causes the capacitive buttons to be less sensitive. Didn't see those reviews on the same protector for the gs4. Any other brand suggestions for screen protectors besides zagg(don't like them)?

ajumbaje
May 9, 2013, 06:40 PM
I did this test side by side..... Other than camera test this was one of the more important test for me as I do like using my phone to listen to music to.

Unquestionably the HTC One wins. Without beats enabled the sound is very similar to each other, with beats enabled you hear a lot of crisper extra detail in your music. A guitar riff or a violin solo that was hidden in the track is suddenly audible on the one. Beats audio works with bluetooth too. So yeah for clarity of sound through a complete mix of music - the one wins.

Added to the fact that the stock music app is better on the HTC one - the Samsung music app is barebones - means it further wins the music test. Add FM radio built into the One and none for the S4 too.

Regardless of those things, just on sound quality alone - the sound quality on headphones is better - no question imho.

Saw this review:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4-review-914p8.php

I'll probably test each phone in store with the earbuds/bluetooth headphones I use

3bs
May 9, 2013, 10:16 PM
My One should be arriving next week :D

MacRumorUser
May 10, 2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks, MRU.

Also saw some reviews on amazon that the spigen ultra crystal(my preferred brand) screen protector causes the capacitive buttons to be less sensitive. Didn't see those reviews on the same protector for the gs4. Any other brand suggestions for screen protectors besides zagg(don't like them)?

That was prior to the new software update. There was a software bug for some people where the capacitive buttons were not responding. Any screen protector then exacerbated it. However it is now fixed in the latest update.

I use the spigen ultra crystal on mine right now. No problems at all.

kasakka
May 10, 2013, 05:09 AM

That sounds terrible to me. It sounds like some sort of multiband compressor/EQ thing that mangles the original music so that it's just LOUD which most people perceive as "better sounding". Maybe that guitar riff was meant to be low in the track?

That said, not impressed with the S4.

tensiondeadache
May 10, 2013, 06:21 AM
Just ordered an S4 from T-Mobile on the phone at 4 am (semi impulse buy), should have it by Wednesday. It will complement my unlocked Nexus 4 and HTC 8X.

Couldn't resist the 13MP camera, the 1080p display, the camera software, it will be my high end Samsung phone, so I'll get to see what they're software is all about.

MacRumorUser
May 10, 2013, 09:19 AM
That sounds terrible to me. It sounds like some sort of multiband compressor/EQ thing that mangles the original music so that it's just LOUD which most people perceive as "better sounding". Maybe that guitar riff was meant to be low in the track?

That said, not impressed with the S4.

Not at all, trust me I live in a recording studio ;) (well technically to the side of a recording studio ;) ) So I do appreciate sound.....

The One's beats audio brings a clarity out the instrumentation, a clarity that I would hear if I played the same song/track on the vastly too expensive for its own good equipment down in the studio.

The finer details in sound that some mp3 playback can be lost, or simply fall by the wayside, be drowned out.

What were talking about here is not bringing for example a violin pluck above everything else, what it does do is make you able to hear that there was a violin pluck in the first place, where on the S4 you would have simply not known it was there at all.

gmanist1000
May 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
if the nexus 5 or the x-phone arent unveiled at this year's google I/O then i will think about buying the GS4.

I would think one would have to be revealed.... Google hasn't released a phone in a long time! Well, it's time.

----------

You know i think there is really not a need for the little nifty tricks that Samsung's S4 plays, they look cheap, especially that hand wave thing. HTC one on the other hand, it's just so darn good looking. If i had not bought an iPhone 5 last month, I'd have gone for the HTC myself. I think i should be getting one for my mother, looks slick, seems easy to use, and most importantly, i love it! :p

But will your mother love it? :cool:

LIVEFRMNYC
May 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
http://youtu.be/QATGs4kzfl4

Hour long comparison.

Vegastouch
May 12, 2013, 03:28 PM
http://youtu.be/QATGs4kzfl4

Hour long comparison.

Thats one long video. One that i couldnt watch all of it, skipped through parts and did watch most of it and it did do one thing........ for me anyways. No question ill be getting a GS4 over the HTC One.

Really after seeing that video, it is no contest. Hands down the GS4 is better except for those that must have a metal back which i dont care about.

LIVEFRMNYC
May 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
Thats one long video. One thast i couldnt watch all of it, skipped through parts and did watch most of it and it did do one thing........ for me anyways. No question ill be getting a GS4 over the HTC One.

Really after seeing that video, it is no contest. Hands down the GS4 is better except for those that must have a metal back which i dont care about.

At least she time coded it in the description. Otherwise I wouldn't have watched the whole thing either.

onthecouchagain
May 12, 2013, 03:48 PM
What Google and/or the OEMs need to really figure out next is how to have their phones ignore inadvertent palm touches. It really gets in the way of one handed use.

I like that devices have gotten narrower so they can help accomodate one handed use, but sometimes when reaching across, your palm inadvertently still presses the lower corners and it can really get in the way of what you're trying to do, especially when typing/swiping.

MacRumorUser
May 12, 2013, 04:08 PM

The difference between the two isnt merely down to casing though and there are likewise many software & hardware features on the One that the S4 doesn't offer, and vice versa...

For me the S4 hardware was great but I just couldn't take to Touchwiz for lots of different reasons, but I fully understand that others do like it.

The main thing is that we at least have two fantastic devices which offer genuinely quality choices for android users :)

Either choice of handset and people can't go far wrong, but it is refreshing to see HTC deliver a device that has put a genuine question / debate in people's minds rather than Samsung having a free ride after the success of the S3. Unquestionably the more competition, the better for consumers.

Vegastouch
May 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
The difference between the two isnt merely down to casing though and there are likewise many software & hardware features on the One that the S4 doesn't offer, and vice versa...

For me the S4 hardware was great but I just couldn't take to Touchwiz for lots of different reasons, but I fully understand that others do like it.

The main thing is that we at least have two fantastic devices which offer genuinely quality choices for android users :)

Either choice of handset and people can't go far wrong, but it is refreshing to see HTC deliver a device that has put a genuine question / debate in people's minds rather than Samsung having a free ride after the success of the S3. Unquestionably the more competition, the better for consumers.

Yeah i guess, but i dont use the TouchWiz launcher. I dont like it at all. I use either Nova or Apex. I dont mind the other TW features like the dialer and contacts.

swamyg1
May 12, 2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah i guess, but i dont use the TouchWiz launcher. I dont like it at all. I use either Nova or Apex. I dont mind the other TW features like the dialer and contacts.

I cannot stand the TouchWiz dialer and contacts. I'm using exdialer and patiently waiting for cyanogenmod. love the gs4 though!

jrswizzle
May 13, 2013, 01:21 PM
That was prior to the new software update. There was a software bug for some people where the capacitive buttons were not responding. Any screen protector then exacerbated it. However it is now fixed in the latest update.

I use the spigen ultra crystal on mine right now. No problems at all.

I've run into this problem. I never really had any issue with the capacitive buttons, but after installing my spigen screen protector, it seems they aren't as responsive.

Being that I'm on AT&T, I have a feeling I'll be waiting to see this software update that fixes it.....

I'm currently on 1.26.502.10

DesertEagle
Jun 22, 2013, 07:08 AM
I went with the S4, which is my first non-iPhone mobile since 2009. I wanted a bigger screen and SD card slot, and the switch to Android was painless. Since I have very simple taste when it comes to UIs, I didn't mind switching from iOS to Touchwiz. It felt a bit odd at first, though (I've never used Android before, let alone Touchwiz), so it took me a good couple of hours to get used to it.

I got some good advice from MacRumorUser by reading his very detailed comparison of Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One. Although he actually ended up with the HTC One, I was convinced already after reading his reviews that the S4 would suit me better.

steve31
Jun 22, 2013, 08:13 PM
I went with the S4, which is my first non-iPhone mobile since 2009. I wanted a bigger screen and SD card slot, and the switch to Android was painless. Since I have very simple taste when it comes to UIs, I didn't mind switching from iOS to Touchwiz. It felt a bit odd at first, though (I've never used Android before, let alone Touchwiz), so it took me a good couple of hours to get used to it.

I got some good advice from MacRumorUser by reading his very detailed comparison of Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One. Although he actually ended up with the HTC One, I was convinced already after reading his reviews that the S4 would suit me better.

Great phone. I have both the One and the S4 and both are great phones. But I also think that I prefer the S4

snowcrash
Jun 23, 2013, 11:12 PM
I was on the fence for a while but decided to go for the S4. After going to my AT&T store many times and playing with them both over and over again I just like the look, feel and pop of TW over Sense. Which is surprising because after watching all the reviews and videos for both my mind was made up to get the One until I actually spent some time with them both.

I'm just waiting for AT&T to carry either the 32gb or 64gb in white. Once I see either one in stock I'm jumping all over it. I'm too OCD for a black phone and the fingerprints drive me batty. I know I can get SD storage but only having like 9gb on my phone (which I often use as a laptop replacement) would cause me too much stress lol.

LSUtigers03
Jun 24, 2013, 10:09 AM
I have an S4 right now. I'm going to use it for a week or two and see how I like it and decide if I want to return it for the One.

TacticalDesire
Jun 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
I actually don't mind the look of touchwiz that much but the performance impact it makes is what I don't like.

LSUtigers03
Jun 24, 2013, 08:26 PM
I actually don't mind the look of touchwiz that much but the performance impact it makes is what I don't like.

The hit to performance is what I don't like. Other than that I like the features Samsung has put in. Now that I have a custom recovery on my s4 I'm going to try a touchwiz rom that performs better.

jcpb
Jun 24, 2013, 11:40 PM
I'm waiting for Google's version of the S4, at the meantime I'm sitting on the ZeroLemon that arrived yesterday.

One big detail I don't like at all about the HTC One is the battery. Being non-removable is one thing, but being not user-serviceable at all really bites.

Granted, the One has better sound, but to me it's meaningless - I already have an iPod and the line-out capability to an external amp for that purpose.