Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
There has always been a lot of discussion about a satellite radio iPod, despite its relative impractibility. Rumors flew before the 5G iPod was announced as well. Many people pointed to the spiffy new Sirius S50 as 'proof of concept' for why Apple should get together with Sirius or XM to do a satellite radio iPod.

Turns out all such ideas are off the mark, as the S50 doesn't even have a satellite tuner! It plugs into a base unit that has the tuner. So the S50 can only timeshift satellite content. Hmmm, sounds a lot like podcasting! Which brings up some interesting possibilities...

http://www.madmaxmedia.com/2005/10/tmf-satellite-radio-podcasts-why-not.html

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'd be fine if they did a seperate Sirius iPod, but I personally don't want to have to pay for that in every iPod, because God knows I don't want that. It's not impressive to me.

Daniel

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
BurtonCCC said:
I'd be fine if they did a seperate Sirius iPod, but I personally don't want to have to pay for that in every iPod, because God knows I don't want that. It's not impressive to me.

Daniel

I agree. But I don't they even really can, at least 1 with half-decent reception (in addition to line of sight requirement.)

That's why they made the S50 without a tuner, which basically makes it a digital music player like anything else. It of course has a specialized interface, but it's the base unit that actually contains the satellite radio tuner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.