PDA

View Full Version : Original iBook isn't connecting to the Internet.

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 09:26 PM
I am on version 10.3.9. Whenever I use my password to connect to my internet connection, I always get an error saying the mac failed to connect to the internet! Please help!

BittenApple
May 2, 2013, 09:36 PM
What are the settings that you're using for your wireless network?

eyoungren
May 2, 2013, 09:38 PM
Are you connecting wirelessly? If so, 10.3.9 doesn't support WPA2 or WPA. So, if your router is using anything other than WEP you will either need to upgrade to Tiger or Leopard or use WEP on the router.

justperry
May 2, 2013, 09:41 PM
I am on version 10.3.9. Whenever I use my password to connect to my internet connection, I always get an error saying the mac failed to connect to the internet! Please help!

Which iBook, if it is indeed the first iBook released yours may not support the network protocol.
What is the network security, if it is WPA(2) it might not be possible with your Hardware to connect to the network.

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 09:49 PM
Which iBook, if it is indeed the first iBook released yours may not support the network protocol.
What is the network security, if it is WPA(2) it might not be possible with your Hardware to connect to the network.

It is the first one that is orange on part of it.

JoeG4
May 2, 2013, 09:50 PM
Also, 802.11b airport cards are hit or miss with routers that do 802.11b/g/n on the 2.4ghz band. On my old G4 it'd work with the router in 802.11b/g mode, but as soon as I turned n on, it'd stop being able to connect.

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 09:53 PM
Also, 802.11b airport cards are hit or miss with routers that do 802.11b/g/n on the 2.4ghz band. On my old G4 it'd work with the router in 802.11b/g mode, but as soon as I turned n on, it'd stop being able to connect.

I cannot put an airport card in my iBook because it is an old one.

justperry
May 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
I cannot put an airport card in my iBook because it is an old one.

What does this even mean?

See screenshot.

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:09 PM

See screenshot.

I have a different iBook! It looks different than the one on the screenshot.

Jessica Lares
May 2, 2013, 10:12 PM

See screenshot.

It's a Clamshell.

OP, the AirPort card can be put in there easily by lifting up the keyboard.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iBook+G3+Clamshell+Airport+Card/105/1

Although you are apparently connecting via Wi-fi already...

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:17 PM
It's a Clamshell.

There is a problem, I think I don't have a airport card. If I don't, I can't get a new one because they are expensive.

Jessica Lares
May 2, 2013, 10:23 PM
There is a problem, I think I don't have a airport card. If I don't, I can't get a new one because they are expensive.

Let's figure this out :) ... HOW do you connect? Do you have a wire coming out from the side in the ethernet port, from the menubar? Or...?

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:25 PM
Let's figure this out :) ... HOW do you connect? Do you have a wire coming out from the side in the ethernet port, from the menubar? Or...?

I do use the ethernet port I have, but I can't seem to use it.

Jessica Lares
May 2, 2013, 10:26 PM
I do use the ethernet port I have, but I can't seem to use it.

Have you been able to connect to the internet before at the same location?

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:36 PM
Have you been able to connect to the internet before at the same location?

Yes.

justperry
May 2, 2013, 10:39 PM
It's a Clamshell.

Yeah, realised now, still has Airport Card option though.

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:41 PM
Yeah, realised now, still has Airport Card option though.

I will check for my airport card.

Jessica Lares
May 2, 2013, 10:41 PM
Do you have another computer? Try and use that cable on another machine just to rule out its not that.

Can you show us the windows that you're typing your user info in? Blank it out of course.

You don't need the card, that's only for wi-fi.

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:47 PM
Do you have another computer? Try and use that cable on another machine just to rule out its not that.

Can you show us the windows that you're typing your user info in? Blank it out of course.

You don't need the card, that's only for wi-fi.

No. I only have 1 mac in my house. I am the only one who has one.

Jessica Lares
May 2, 2013, 10:54 PM
No. I only have 1 mac in my house. I am the only one who has one.

How about Windows PCs?

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 10:56 PM
How about Windows PCs?

I am using that right now.

Jessica Lares
May 2, 2013, 11:14 PM
I am using that right now.

Can you try the ethernet cable on it? Or is there not one on that machine?

AlexS08
May 2, 2013, 11:20 PM

I will try

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 08:44 AM
It isn't working.

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 09:07 AM
It isn't working.

While you are all thinking about it, I am going to be watching Shark Tales on my XBOX.

Intell
May 3, 2013, 09:42 AM
The original Airport B card can connect to WPA networks, but only if the OS is 10.3.9 or higher. It is one of the very few B cards that is able to connect to a WPA network. If it is having problems connecting to a WPA network, check your router's wireless mode. If it is set to B/G/N on 2.4Ghz, it may not connect. Try setting it to B/G and connecting. Some router's 2.4Ghz N modes don't play well with the Airport card.

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 09:57 AM
The original Airport B card can connect to WPA networks, but only if the OS is 10.3.9 or higher. It is one of the very few B cards that is able to connect to a WPA network. If it is having problems connecting to a WPA network, check your router's wireless mode. If it is set to B/G/N on 2.4Ghz, it may not connect. Try setting it to B/G and connecting. Some router's 2.4Ghz N modes don't play well with the Airport card.

:confused:

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 10:47 AM
Well, if the ethernet cable doesn't work, then it's your ethernet cable. Who is your ISP?

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 12:21 PM
Well, if the ethernet cable doesn't work, then it's your ethernet cable. Who is your ISP?

I don't know how to find my ISP.

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
I don't know how to find my ISP.

You don't know your internet provider? :rolleyes:

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
You don't know your internet provider? :rolleyes:
I do know my internet provider. It is belkin.

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 12:54 PM
I do know my internet provider. It is belkin.

That is your router. Not your ISP. What model is it though? Let's take a look at it.

Did you figure out whether your iBook has an AirPort card? Look through your System Information.

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 12:57 PM
That is your router. Not your ISP. What model is it though? Let's take a look at it.

Did you figure out whether your iBook has an AirPort card? Look through your System Information.

I have an AirPort card.

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 01:06 PM
I have an AirPort card.

Okay then. Which Belkin router do you have? Is it fairly new?

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 01:07 PM
Okay then. Which Belkin router do you have? Is it fairly new?

I don't know.

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 01:09 PM
I don't know.

Well, figure it out buddy :), because we can't really help you if you can't give specifics. Should give you some numbers at the bottom of it if you pick it up or turn it around.

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 01:12 PM
Well, figure it out buddy :), because we can't really help you if you can't give specifics. Should give you some numbers at the bottom of it if you pick it up or turn it around.

Firmware Version 1.00.02 (Jul 31 2008 22:32:30)
Boot Version V0.13
Hardware F5D8236-4v1(01)
Serial No. 12834823606830

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 01:22 PM
Okay, so it's the F5D8236-4 N, good to know!

Yeah, I just checked the specifications, and it requires Tiger. That iBook does not support it.

An ethernet cable should be able to just be connected anyway, and you won't need any passwords or anything. You just connect it and open Safari or whatever. You'll see something like <--> on the menubar to confirm you're on the internet.

AlexS08
May 3, 2013, 01:44 PM
Okay, so it's the F5D8236-4 N, good to know!

Yeah, I just checked the specifications, and it requires Tiger. That iBook does not support it.

An ethernet cable should be able to just be connected anyway, and you won't need any passwords or anything. You just connect it and open Safari or whatever. You'll see something like <--> on the menubar to confirm you're on the internet.
Should I try the internet cable from my PC now?

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 02:45 PM
Should I try the internet cable from my PC now?

I would do that. If it works, then you know you have a bad cable.

SawyerTHEBEST
May 3, 2013, 10:23 PM
Had to do this once after Reseting the PMU