PDA

View Full Version : Google I/O 2013

strausd
May 3, 2013, 03:39 AM
Let's start talkin'! Let me hear your wildest predictions and every dream you want to come true at this year's Google I/O.

Updated Nexus 4? X-Phone? Nexus 5? Nexus 7? Nexus 10? Google Glass? I want to hear what you have to say on everything!

JaySoul
May 3, 2013, 05:26 AM
Google are starting to get a real grip, I can sense it.

This is the first event that has me truly excited for what they might demo.

As for what, you've probably named them already.

maflynn
May 3, 2013, 05:32 AM
I'm hoping to see the next version of android and a new N7.

daveathall
May 3, 2013, 05:45 AM
I would like to see a Google Motorola flagship phone that would rival the iP5, S4 and HTC One, a no compromise device made from top quality components and cutting edge software, the price would probably go up but I would be willing to pay the extra. I would like it to be complimented by a syncing programme that would work seamlessly on PC and Mac, Kies and Android file transfer are hit and miss at the moment (IMHO).

maflynn
May 3, 2013, 06:07 AM
I would like to see a Google Motorola flagship phone that would rival the iP5, S4 and HTC One,
Moto has been relatively quiet so a major update to keep them from falling too far behind samsung and htc is needed.

The droid models seem somewhat popular but they need a major head turner like the HTC One.

mattopotamus
May 3, 2013, 06:20 AM
I heard from someone who does the sales flow at ATT that they have been working on something for a motorolla phone that is set for a december release. I don't think this person would lie as he is older and doesn't search tech news. He seemed shocked when I mentioned the rumors of the phone. Maybe we will get official news of it.

Nexus 5, 4.3 featues, babel, nexus tablets

watchthisspace
May 3, 2013, 07:01 AM
I'm very keen to see an updated Nexus 7.

KentuckyHouse
May 3, 2013, 07:24 AM
I just saw where Slashgear is reporting that LG has been tapped again to make the Nexus 5. I don't mind that as I believe they did a great job with the Nexus 4.

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-nexus-5-tipped-as-google-renews-deal-03280432/

I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, I hope we get a preview at I/O. I doubt we will, though, since the Nexus 4 has only been out since November.

As for what I'd love to see in the Nexus 5? Give me LTE and a better camera and I'm sold. That's the only reason I've continued to use the N4's little brother, the Optimus G.

I'm pretty excited for I/O, though. Hopefully Google will knock it out of the park.

daveathall
May 3, 2013, 07:34 AM
As for what I'd love to see in the Nexus 5? Give me LTE and a better camera and I'm sold. That's the only reason I've continued to use the N4's little brother, the Optimus G.

I'm pretty excited for I/O, though. Hopefully Google will knock it out of the park.

Yes, fair comments, I think that LG pulled it out of the bag for the Nexus 4, I don't need LTE ATM because there is none in my area, I don't use my phone camera that much, and TBH, I was very lucky with the battery on my N4, seemingly outperforming other non power users, so all in all, I have no complaints with this phone. I also wouldn't mind seeing them given another go. :)

jdlindsey7
May 3, 2013, 07:35 AM
I want to see the the new Motorola phone and Babel.

onthecouchagain
May 3, 2013, 07:58 AM
My predictions are more modest.

I foresee nexus 4 with 32gb version replacing the price point of the current 16gb (and the 16gb replacing the current 8gb point, just like they did with the nexus 7). I also foresee lte radios too. This will make the value of the nexus 4 wildly popular and good.

I don't foresee new hardware regarding the nexus 5.

I might see Motorola phone X; I feel like that's 50/50. We will see this year's nexus 7 from Asus though. Not much else.

We'll get key line pie preview of course.

That's it.

maflynn
May 3, 2013, 08:01 AM

Preview or something a bit more substantive?

KentuckyHouse
May 3, 2013, 08:07 AM
Yes, fair comments, I think that LG pulled it out of the bag for the Nexus 4, I don't need LTE ATM because there is none in my area, I don't use my phone camera that much, and TBH, I was very lucky with the battery on my N4, seemingly outperforming other non power users, so all in all, I have no complaints with this phone. I also wouldn't mind seeing them given another go. :)

I've actually been really impressed by the Nexus 4 (more than I thought I would be). Keep in mind that I've only played with an actual N4, but I think the OG is a good representation of the N4 considering how closely related they are.

And I felt exactly the way you do before they lit up LTE in my area last November. It's not that I couldn't live without LTE (it's not as fast in my area as it is for others because of some stupid regulations), but it is faster. I think I could easily go back to HSPA+ and be fine, though.

And while I've heard lots of people complain about the camera on the N4, I would assume it has the same camera as the OG, which I've been pleasantly surprised with. It's not as great as the camera on my S3 or iPhone 5, but I didn't expect it to be going in. But it's definitely serviceable and will take good shots if it's needed.

I want to see the the new Motorola phone and Babel.

I definitely agree with both of these, although I'm not much of a Motorola fan myself. I love the build quality and if it comes with stock Android, I'd have to give it another look.

Babel, on the other hand, I'm really interested in. I think it has the ability to really bring messaging on Android to the level of iOS. Why do I say that? Because that's the ONLY issue I've always had with Android is the messaging. My wife has an iPhone and she's constantly wanting to send me multiple pictures at once and Android phones want to play these as slideshows (at a lower resolution). I have to remind her to only send one picture at a time.

Then there's the stupid carrier restrictions on the size of picture messages that apply to Android phones but not iPhones. If she sends me a picture, I get it in full resolution. If I send her one, I have to dumb it down to 300k or less or it won't send. Even using Handcent (which is always the first thing I install on any Android phone), it has to shrink the size down to send. But this seems to be a carrier issue, not necessarily an Android one. I just wish the playing field were level on this one thing. Hopefully Babel will fix that.

Frankied22
May 3, 2013, 08:20 AM
My predictions:

Nexus 4 with 32GB
Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)

Android 4.3 (rumors say KLP will launch with next Nexus in fall)

Android Game Center launch. (Cloud save and sync of Android games, play with friends, leader boards, etc)

Google Babel Launch on Android, iOS, and Chrome. (It will sync across platforms and merge SMS/MMS, G+ Messenger, and G Chat into one app)

Google TV update. (Possibly a pure Google TV to compete with Apple TV with a really low price like $50-$80)

Some showing off of Google Glass. (Emphasis on its design guidelines and how to build an app for it)

Chrome and Chrome OS updates

A HUGE emphasis on Google's new design language "Kennedy" (Google Now Card style with a lot of flat design). We may even see some of this in the new version of Android but I think definitely in KLP.

All attendees will walk away with a new Nexus 4 32GB, a Nexus 7 (2 Gen), a new Google TV, and maybe a pair of Glass. (Pixel is too expensive I give away I think).

onthecouchagain
May 3, 2013, 08:56 AM
Preview or something a bit more substantive?

Who knows, really. Does it make more sense for them to ship KLP with the Nexus 5 than with the new Nexus 7? Don't know.

mattopotamus
May 3, 2013, 09:01 AM
If they add LTE to the nexus 4, would we have to buy a new one or could they just add it via update?

hallux
May 3, 2013, 09:04 AM
The Nexus 11 comment may be right on. These specs were posted as the rumored specs in a thread on an Android site I vist.

NEXUS 11*
- 11 Super PLS TFT screen
- 8 Megapixel (rear camera)
- 2 Megapixel (front)
- octa-core A15 / A7 big.LITTLE chip (Exynos 5410)
- microSD 64 GB
* Needs to get approvement from Google

My Acer seems to be on its last legs, the internal memory seems to be flaking out after only 2 years. If these specs ring true, I'll be first in line for one. I was already considering upgrading as I was running low on storage (16 GB internal storage in my Acer), the recent issues are pushing it.

For what it's worth, Samsung is tapped for building it again. Their self-branded tablet will have a less powerful processor in it.

Thread from that forum, for reference.. http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/716154-confused-about-samsung-tablets.html

RetepNamenots
May 3, 2013, 09:35 AM
The Nexus 11 comment may be right on. These specs were posted as the rumored specs in a thread on an Android site I vist.

NEXUS 11*
- 11 Super PLS TFT screen
- 8 Megapixel (rear camera)
- 2 Megapixel (front)
- octa-core A15 / A7 big.LITTLE chip (Exynos 5410)
- microSD 64 GB
* Needs to get approvement from Google

My Acer seems to be on its last legs, the internal memory seems to be flaking out after only 2 years. If these specs ring true, I'll be first in line for one. I was already considering upgrading as I was running low on storage (16 GB internal storage in my Acer), the recent issues are pushing it.

For what it's worth, Samsung is tapped for building it again. Their self-branded tablet will have a less powerful processor in it.

Thread from that forum, for reference.. http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/716154-confused-about-samsung-tablets.html

Google wouldn't want to sell a Nexus device with 64Gb storage - the most they offer right now is 32Gb in the Nexus 10, and just 16Gb in the Nexus 4. They want people to move towards cloud storage.

And there's even less chance that they'd approve something with an SD card slot!

jrswizzle
May 3, 2013, 09:37 AM
If they add LTE to the nexus 4, would we have to buy a new one or could they just add it via update?

Good question - I don't know given the somewhat confusing rumors and articles that came out earlier this year that said the N4 had LTE support then said it was only for a certain band......

Would be incredibly awesome if they could "flip a switch", but I highly doubt that's the case.

Explicitic
May 3, 2013, 09:52 AM
Their new messaging app, the 'Game Center" like thing, Android 4.3 JB update, new Nexus 7, updated 32GB Nexus 4 + LTE, more about Google Glass (mainstream version), and Google+.

OH, and the KLP logo <3 always excited for the logo revealings!

I seriously doubt they will reveal Key Lime Pie at I/O. They are going to reveal it at a fall device (either a new Nexus device or the rumored 'X' phone, that is if they are not one and the same) launch event.

AutoUnion39
May 3, 2013, 10:09 AM
I think I'm gonna wait an extra week for Google I/O before jumping on the S4, if this upcoming X Phone is coming.

Another issue is that AT&T always gets stiffed when it comes to Motorola phones. I don't want a POS like the Atrix HD.

bmac4
May 3, 2013, 10:36 AM
I am about 95% sure we want sent the nexus 5. It is just too early. The nexus 4 was just released in Nov. They will wait until then to talk about the N5. I cant wait to see what KLP has to offer. I think k Babel is going to awesome. Maybe making it the best chatting app we have seen before. I know a lot of people are excited about the nexus 7 maybe being updated, but I don't have one. I think KLP is the key to the whole thing.

Explicitic
May 3, 2013, 10:53 AM
I think KLP is the key to the whole thing.

I see what you did there ;)

...or didn't intend to do.

KentuckyHouse
May 3, 2013, 11:12 AM
This article goes a little more in depth. I don't know if those rumored specs will turn out to be true for a LG Nexus 5, but if they are, I'm in!

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/03/lg-working-on-a-nexus-5-wants-deeper-partnerships-on-tvs-and-glass-report-claims/

bmac4
May 3, 2013, 11:24 AM
I see what you did there ;)

...or didn't intend to do.

Yes I did intend to. Thanks for noticing.

mattopotamus
May 3, 2013, 12:03 PM
Good question - I don't know given the somewhat confusing rumors and articles that came out earlier this year that said the N4 had LTE support then said it was only for a certain band......

Would be incredibly awesome if they could "flip a switch", but I highly doubt that's the case.

Would be awesome if it was an update. The think the reason they had to disable LTE is because they did not submit with the FCC. Maybe they will do that and flip the switch :-)

Otherwise they should maybe let us trade our old nexus 4s in and pay a small amount for a new one.

thehustleman
May 3, 2013, 12:04 PM
I'm just curious about what Google is doing to keep outdoing apple.

What new features are coming?

I would like to see a Google Motorola flagship phone that would rival the iP5, S4 and HTC One, a no compromise device made from top quality components and cutting edge software, the price would probably go up but I would be willing to pay the extra. I would like it to be complimented by a syncing programme that would work seamlessly on PC and Mac, Kies and Android file transfer are hit and miss at the moment (IMHO).

Airdroid works perfectly on any type of PC.

daveathall
May 3, 2013, 12:20 PM
Airdroid works perfectly on any type of PC.

Yep, not had any issues with Airdroid. :)

appletoandroid
May 3, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm just curious about what Google is doing to keep outdoing apple.

What new features are coming?

+1

I'm excited to see the Motorola X Phone! Google has been way ahead of the curve for years. Even the slightest incremental change is years ahead of Apple.

sentinelsx
May 3, 2013, 12:49 PM
This is what i am looking forward to:

Unified messaging, preferably built into SMS. And PLEASE release it for most countries instead of USA and UK only.

Google music expanding to Canada and more countries. The awesomeness of the service is moot if i need to use proxy work arounds to use it on my nexus.

Unified game center like app. Basically don't ask developers to create those online bits. Create a solid unified service that game developers can plug in. Will make online gaming much more relevant.

More focus on battery life.

Make it mandatory for all online apps to use google cloud messaging (looking at you facebook) for push notifications instead of constant background processes. BUT allow for two modes, let them bundle the background process thing and make a setting that user can choose to run it in background or idle (through GCM).

Fine tune the UI a bit more. Make it more swipe friendly may be. Publish icon guidelines for app developers and allow better tools to create HD icons to use on current smartphones.

Universal back up and restore function for SMS, app data, and all other things.

and more i will think of later....

Vegastouch
May 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
All im intersted in is what KLP brings and the Nexus 5 and what that will be like and who makes it.

Most interested in the Nexus 7 and whether it wil be a Nexus 8 while keeping the device the same size.

The iGentleman
May 3, 2013, 07:19 PM
I heard from someone who does the sales flow at ATT that they have been working on something for a motorolla phone that is set for a december release. I don't think this person would lie as he is older and doesn't search tech news. He seemed shocked when I mentioned the rumors of the phone. Maybe we will get official news of it.

Nexus 5, 4.3 featues, babel, nexus tablets
A person in sales at AT&T would not be in position to know anything regarding what phone would be released 7 months from now. I can say with almost 100% certainty, this person has no idea what they are talking about.

M

I doubt you'll see anything relating to the version of Android due to be released after the next one. Heck, the name of the release hasn't even been decided on, so I doubt they will be showing anything related to it.

Google Babel Launch on Android, iOS, and Chrome. (It will sync across platforms and merge SMS/MMS, G+ Messenger, and G Chat into one app)

Why do you think it's going to do all of that?

bmac4
May 3, 2013, 08:15 PM
A person in sales at AT&T would not be in position to know anything regarding what phone would be released 7 months from now. I can say with almost 100% certainty, this person has no idea what they are talking about.

I doubt you'll see anything relating to the version of Android due to be released after the next one. Heck, the name of the release hasn't even been decided on, so I doubt they will be showing anything related to it.

No KLP will most likely be announced. Why would it not? What woukd they be waiting on? This is the time of the year they announce the new OS.

tjl3
May 3, 2013, 08:27 PM
No KLP will most likely be announced. Why would it not? What woukd they be waiting on? This is the time of the year they announce the new OS.

If 5.0 is delayed to later this year, but Google I/O brings a 4.3, it'll likely not be code named KLP. Granted that is a big IF! And IF they bring out KLP as 4.3, that'd hint that 5.0 will not arrive until 2014. All based on rev numbers of course.

The iGentleman
May 3, 2013, 09:22 PM

Yes this is that time of year, but that doesn't mean it will be "KLP". To this point I've even referred to the next version as KLP because people tend to follow what you're saying if you reference it as something they are familiar with, but really the K release hasn't even been given that name or any other name at all yet. I think there will be a release, just not necessarily the K release.

bmac4
May 3, 2013, 09:28 PM
Yes this is that time of year, but that doesn't mean it will be "KLP". To this point I've even referred to the next version as KLP because people tend to follow what you're saying if you reference it as something they are familiar with, but really the K release hasn't even been given that name or any other name at all yet. I think there will be a release, just not necessarily the K release.

Why woukd they not? Seems like the perfect time. The android phones just released are killing it, and ios 7 is on the horizon. It seems like perfect timing.

adder7712
May 3, 2013, 09:39 PM
Nexus 7S

Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM, higher-resolution screen(?), rear and front-facing cameras, LTE-capable , Android 4.3/5.0

And maybe the X-Phone, Nexus 5?

The iGentleman
May 3, 2013, 09:51 PM
Why woukd they not? Seems like the perfect time. The android phones just released are killing it, and ios 7 is on the horizon. It seems like perfect timing.

They will release what was already in the works to be released.

bmac4
May 3, 2013, 10:04 PM
They will release what was already in the works to be released.

Yes I know that, but I would think that KLP would be in the plans. Just like JB was last year.

The iGentleman
May 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
Yes I know that, but I would think that KLP would be in the plans. Just like JB was last year.

Why would you think that?

bmac4
May 4, 2013, 01:31 AM
Why would you think that?

Because it would seem like google would want to stay on a schedule like Apple does. Each year add a new phone, and a major update to your OS. Maybe I am crazy, but I think that is what a lot of people are expecting.

strausd
May 4, 2013, 04:37 AM
Because it would seem like google would want to stay on a schedule like Apple does. Each year add a new phone, and a major update to your OS. Maybe I am crazy, but I think that is what a lot of people are expecting.

Totally agree. At this point it is only logical for anyone to assume that a new version of Android will be coming out at Google I/O. And with iOS 7 getting a major UI change soon, it would be stupid for Google to release another .X release. 4.2 barely brought anything new. They won't do that a second time around. Plus 4.3 could get a new name. 4.1 got the name Jelly bean, why not give 4.3 a new name?

Essentially Google came out with a new version if Android last year with a new name. We have no reason to believe they won't do the same this year.

Switchback666
May 4, 2013, 05:00 AM
Oh man big year 2013 will be ! Google and Apple will show some cool stuff and whe finally get new consoles :) what more can you ask for ? Mac pro maybe ? :D

mattopotamus
May 4, 2013, 06:54 AM

Sales flow deals with new products well before they are released. I know that for a fact, which added credibility to the source.

bmac4
May 4, 2013, 09:54 AM
Oh man big year 2013 will be ! Google and Apple will show some cool stuff and whe finally get new consoles :) what more can you ask for ? Mac pro maybe ? :D

I know I can wait. Not sure how I feel about new consoles because I still like my PS3 and xbox 360, but what Google is rumored to bring I can't wait.

strausd
May 4, 2013, 02:36 PM

HA! I gave up on waiting for the Mac Pro and built my own workstation. But anyways, thats off topic.

-----------

What time of the day does Google I/O start?

Frankied22
May 4, 2013, 03:59 PM

That's why I have a iPhone 5 and N4 :)

SlCKB0Y
May 5, 2013, 07:44 AM
I would like it to be complimented by a syncing programme that would work seamlessly on PC and Mac, Kies and Android file transfer are hit and miss at the moment (IMHO).

The problem is that this flies in the face of everything Google has been doing recently with their cloud services and would be a step back to the last decade (read Apple) way of doing things.

daveathall
May 5, 2013, 07:46 AM
The problem is that this flies in the face of everything Google has been doing recently with their cloud services and would be a step back to the last decade (read Apple) way of doing things.

Yep, having thought about it that way, fair point. :)

SlCKB0Y
May 5, 2013, 07:49 AM
Essentially Google came out with a new version if Android last year with a new name. We have no reason to believe they won't do the same this year.

No they didn't. 4.1 Jellybean came out late in 2011 and 4.2 Jellybean came out in mid 2012.

----------

Google music expanding to Canada and more countries. The awesomeness of the service is moot if i need to use proxy work arounds to use it on my nexus.

You don't need to do this. You only need to use a proxy/VPN for the initial setup on the Google Music site to sign up for the account. After that you get unrestricted access to it from anywhere in the world (I've been using it for a couple of years from Australia and other non-US parts of the world).

mr.suff
May 5, 2013, 10:30 AM
No they didn't. 4.1 Jellybean came out late in 2011 and 4.2 Jellybean came out in mid 2012.

Not quite. 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich was released November 2011 with the Galaxy Nexus

4.1 - Jelly Bean came in July 2012 with the Nexus 7

4.2 - still Jelly Bean was November 2012 with the Nexus 4 and 10.

Vegastouch
May 5, 2013, 12:28 PM
I see no reason why we wont see a new Nexus and a new OS (KLP) as they have been doing every year. If the XPhone is going to be the thing instead of a Nexus,....well If it is a Motorola, im not much interested.

Michael Goff
May 5, 2013, 01:05 PM
I see no reason why we wont see a new Nexus and a new OS (KLP) as they have been doing every year. If the XPhone is going to be the thing instead of a Nexus,....well If it is a Motorola, im not much interested.

I see a reason why it won't be released... they have been testing Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.

vikingjunior
May 5, 2013, 01:40 PM
My guess is a nexus 5 built by Motorola with KLP. Also a nexus 8 and nexus 11.

Vegastouch
May 5, 2013, 01:44 PM
I see a reason why it won't be released... they have been testing Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.

After some searching, seems KLP wont work on dual core processors and that is the issue. Im sure we will see KLP but later than expected. The GS4 should get it and my guess from reading that they will wait til other quadcore items come out....such as the new Nexus or X Phone, and the new Nexus Tablets.

I guess we will find out more on the 15th.

Michael Goff
May 5, 2013, 02:17 PM
After some searching, seems KLP wont work on dual core processors and that is the issue. Im sure we will see KLP but later than expected. The GS4 should get it and my guess from reading that they will wait til other quadcore items come out....such as the new Nexus or X Phone, and the new Nexus Tablets.

I guess we will find out more on the 15th.

I'm wondering why it won't work on dual core devices. And then, three months after it comes out, I'll likely be flashing Cyanogenmod 11 or whatever, with KLP on my GNexus.

>_>

Vegastouch
May 5, 2013, 02:21 PM
I'm wondering why it won't work on dual core devices. And then, three months after it comes out, I'll likely be flashing Cyanogenmod 11 or whatever, with KLP on my GNexus.

>_>

Thats the rumor anyways. Here (http://www.ibtimes.com/android-43-or-android-50-another-jelly-bean-release-could-save-dual-core-processor-devices-key-lime) is the piece i read on it that suggest dual core is incompatible.

Michael Goff
May 5, 2013, 04:22 PM
Thats the rumor anyways. Here (http://www.ibtimes.com/android-43-or-android-50-another-jelly-bean-release-could-save-dual-core-processor-devices-key-lime) is the piece i read on it that suggest dual core is incompatible.

Oh, they'll probably try to make it that way for "performance reasons", which is another way of saying "Shut up, we can't give the Galaxy Nexus the next version of Android, we just can't.

I'm just saying I don't believe it will be necessary and that Cyanogenmod will probably find a way to put it on my GNexus.

mattopotamus
May 5, 2013, 05:19 PM
Oh, they'll probably try to make it that way for "performance reasons", which is another way of saying "Shut up, we can't give the Galaxy Nexus the next version of Android, we just can't.

I'm just saying I don't believe it will be necessary and that Cyanogenmod will probably find a way to put it on my GNexus.

That may be true. Also could be a way for them to try and get more users on the same version of android. Gingerbread is still the most common.

SlCKB0Y
May 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
Not quite. 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich was released November 2011 with the Galaxy Nexus

4.1 - Jelly Bean came in July 2012 with the Nexus 7

4.2 - still Jelly Bean was November 2012 with the Nexus 4 and 10.

Wow... I totally messed that up... I was posting really late at night. My original point still stands though - no change of release name in 2012.

Lava Lamp Freak
May 5, 2013, 07:39 PM
Wow... I totally messed that up... I was posting really late at night. My original point still stands though - no change of release name in 2012.

The release name did change in 2012 for the release of 4.1, but not for 4.2. It isn't unreasonable to expect a new name this year, whether it is at I/O or a later release.

SlCKB0Y
May 6, 2013, 05:18 AM
The release name did change in 2012 for the release of 4.1, but not for 4.2. It isn't unreasonable to expect a new name this year, whether it is at I/O or a later release.

What I meant was that "the only releases in 2012 were named Jelly Bean".

There's pretty compelling evidence that we're getting 4.3 at I/O. Only question is whether this is 4.3 JB or 4.3 K**

vikingjunior
May 6, 2013, 08:20 AM
All we need is a upgraded nexus 4 with 32 gb, lte, better camera and battery. $350!

Switchback666
May 6, 2013, 09:38 AM
All we need is a upgraded nexus 4 with 32 gb, lte, better camera and battery. $350!

Sounds nice, but other than the storage bump i dont think whe will get anything else.

Dontazemebro
May 6, 2013, 12:48 PM
I just want to see what the Googorola X is bringing to the table (hopefully). We know Nexus devices will never be chock full of features and it's about time we see some feature rich aosp love.

Knowing Motorola though, I hope they don't screw this one up.

Carlanga
May 6, 2013, 12:57 PM
I just want to see what the Googorola X is bringing to the table (hopefully). We know Nexus devices will never be chock full of features and it's about time we see some feature rich aosp love.

Knowing Motorola though, I hope they don't screw this one up.

They are now owned by Google, so if they screw it up then Google screwed it up.

The iGentleman
May 6, 2013, 02:21 PM

That article is merely speculation and fabrication. They haven't based that on anything substantial. Could it happen? Sure, but at this point, that is just something they made up on their own.

Tig Bitties
May 6, 2013, 02:58 PM
I will bet 99% there will still be a Nexus phone released this Fall. Come October / November, Google will be selling an LG made Nexus-Five, running Android 5.0, with a 5" screen, on the 5th birthday of Android. That is almost guaranteed.

And Motorola will release their new "X" line of phones this Summer / Fall, but they won't be pure "nexus" style devices, will run a stripped down version of Motoblur, with a little bit of carrier bloatware. These "X" phones will not be 100% pure stock vanilla Android, most likely 75% stock, mixed a little bit with the new Motoblur.

So come this Fall, we will see both a Nexus-Five phone, and Motorola "X" phone.

I suppose in the future couple years away, we might finally see an Google only made "nexus" phone, all made in house from Motorola engineers and manufacturing, with no Motorola branding on it at all. But not sure if Google has plans to really turn Motorola into a in-house Google manufacturer ? Or will they just try to keep them always as "Motorola" branding ?

Faux Carnival
May 6, 2013, 03:02 PM
This will be one hell of an event!