Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mukulmehta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2013
I downloaded the world of warcraft for Mac and am having some issues with running this application.

The installation instructions were:
1. Open terminal
2. Right click on World of Warcraft, select view package content.
3. Browse around, look for a file called World of Warcraft. The icon should be blank, and the file size should be larger than the rest.
4. In the terminal, type chmod u+x
5. Drag the file to the terminal, and press enter.

Did that, but getting an error.

-bash: /Users/mukulmehta/Downloads/World of Warcraft - Cataclysm 4.3.4 (15595) Mac/World of Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World of Warcraft: Permission denied

Please help me guys, dying to play this one.
Thanks in advance.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I downloaded the world of warcraft for Mac and am having some issues with running this application.

1. Open terminal
3. Browse around, look for a file called World of Warcraft. The icon should be blank, and the file size should be larger than the rest.

-bash: /Users/mukulmehta/Downloads/World of Warcraft - Cataclysm 4.3.4 (15595) Mac/World of Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World of Warcraft: Permission denied

Thanks in advance.

Those don't look like the instructions from Blizzard, might I ask if this is a legitimate version of the game or something pirated?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I think it's perfectly legal if this is one of them private-server-tailored versions.

My only advice, steer clear of them. If you want to play WoW for free, Bloodcraft has a very good community, if it's still as I remember it. Most other servers are very cash oriented and way more about money than Blizzard, actually.:)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I think it's perfectly legal if this is one of them private-server-tailored versions.

My only advice, steer clear of them. If you want to play WoW for free, Bloodcraft has a very good community, if it's still as I remember it. Most other servers are very cash oriented and way more about money than Blizzard, actually.:)

Hacking the game so you can play for free when the legitimate version is a pay for service is not what I call perfectly legal. At best it is a grey area but without a doubt it is piracy and denying the legitimate developers revenue.

I find it sad and depressing that someones hard work and effort counts for nothing and people say its OK to steal because it's just a computer game not something like a TV.

If you play a game that others spent months if not years making without paying for it then you have no excuse, you are happy to steal and not pay for a creation other people have spent their careers creating.

Defending this is even worse because it is almost like saying stealing stuff on a computer is OK because it's not physical. Does that mean someone emptying your bank account is OK because you know it's just numbers on a webpage?

I spent (along with many others) months on XCOM is it wrong for me to expect people to pay to play the game so me and my fellow developers get paid? I love making games for Mac users but I have a family to feed so I can't work for free! :)

I know we can't stop piracy but I hope we can at least stop the pervasive idea that piracy is legal, completely legitimate to do and does not harm anyone. It is harmful, it is wrong and you are directly hurting the people who make the games you love by stealing, you also help the argument some companies have for restrictive DRM.

[RANT OVER]

Edwin

(This post and sentiments are mine not my employers)

Last edited:

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I do not try to defend that. I simply stated that playing on a private server is not illegal, but I'd agree that both sides prefer it to remain a grey area, as you pointed out.:)

The thing with WoW private servers is, they are mostly crap, bug ridden heaps of Blizzard's content. Back when there was no free trial option, it was good to get the feel of the game before actual purchase.:)

Most people migrate to the real deal after a month or two, anyway. I guess that is why Blizzard does not care much.

I absolutely agree that piracy is evil, but check out the brighter side.:)

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Hacking the game so you can play for free when the legitimate version is a pay for service is not what I call perfectly legal. At best it is a grey area but without a doubt it is piracy and denying the legitimate developers revenue.

I find it sad and depressing that someones hard work and effort counts for nothing and people say its OK to steal because it's just a computer game not something like a TV.

If you play a game that others spent months if not years making without paying for it then you have no excuse, you are happy to steal and not pay for a creation other people have spent their careers creating.

Defending this is even worse because it is almost like saying stealing stuff on a computer is OK because it's not physical. Does that mean someone emptying your bank account is OK because you know it's just numbers on a webpage?

I spent (along with many others) months on XCOM is it wrong for me to expect people to pay to play the game so me and my fellow developers get paid? I love making games for Mac users but I have a family to feed so I can't work for free! :)

I know we can't stop piracy but I hope we can at least stop the pervasive idea that piracy is legal, completely legitimate to do and does not harm anyone. It is harmful, it is wrong and you are directly hurting the people who make the games you love by stealing, you also help the argument some companies have for restrictive DRM.

[RANT OVER]

Edwin

(This post and sentiments are mine not my employers)

It's easy for everyone to agree with all of the above. At the end of the day piracy hurts people, period. However, there's a small difference when comes to subscription-based MMO like WoW (and no excuse is intended here, I'm just stating a fact): The majority of the people who play on custom servers would not pay to play WoW at the given time. They consist mostly of veteran players that were too bored/tired from WoW, and they have quitted.

Trying a custom server does not give a real WoW experience, so not addressed for anyone that really wants to play the game and experience the real RPG/MMO feeling. It's for people that want to spend 1 or 2 hours every now and then, by doing something specific to the server: either a PvP with boosted character items/properties, a scaled-down raid with 5 people that normally needs 25 etc. It's a poor imitation of the game. Blizzard is not actually loosing money from them.

I could go even further and tell you that the WoW experience and the lack of features plus the limitations of the custom servers are that many, that actually make some people miss and return to the original game. If not, it becomes dull and boring after a while, anyway.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I do not try to defend that. I simply stated that playing on a private server is not illegal, but I'd agree that both sides prefer it to remain a grey area, as you pointed out.:)

The thing with WoW private servers is, they are mostly crap, bug ridden heaps of Blizzard's content. Back when there was no free trial option, it was good to get the feel of the game before actual purchase.:)

Most people migrate to the real deal after a month or two, anyway. I guess that is why Blizzard does not care much.

I absolutely agree that piracy is evil, but check out the brighter side.:)

I don't know where you're getting the idea that "private" servers are legal. They aren't legal. They are basically "pirate" servers.

There is exactly one legal and ethical way to play the game World of Warcraft and that is to purchase the game and its expansions if desired and pay a monthly fee to play on Battlenet. That is it. That is the one and only legal way to play this game, aside of enjoying the free trial play of course which is also provided by Blizzard.

Good points were made above. While piracy will always be a problem, as individuals we do not have to condone it or worse, participate in it. And people wonder why DRM exists. It's hard to blame companies imo for trying to protect their assets from theft in a world where too many seem to think it is no big deal. Stealing is stealing and playing WoW on a private server is stealing from Blizzard/Activision.

----------

1. Open terminal

Thanks in advance.

I've installed WoW on my iMac and the installation instructions did not have me do any of that. It was a simple thing to do.

I would recommend you contact Blizzard for installation support if you have purchased the game and if not, purchase it and you won't have this problem.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Those instructions are nothing to do with Blizzard, I re installed WOW last week from the Blizzard site, it downloads an installation icon, click on that it opens the client and downloads, no instructions required.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I don't know where you're getting the idea that "private" servers are legal. They aren't legal. They are basically "pirate" servers.

Whether private servers are illegal or not is debatable. I am not a lawyer, but from what I understand, Blizzard does not care unless they charge for game time, which they usually don't.

Playing on one, however, isn't illegal. What could be considered illegal is obtaining a copy of WoW compatible with a certain private server without owning the game already.

I absolutely agree that it's ethically wrong to do so.

The end.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Whether private servers are illegal or not is debatable. I am not a lawyer, but from what I understand, Blizzard does not care unless they charge for game time, which they usually don't.

Playing on one, however, isn't illegal. What could be considered illegal is obtaining a copy of WoW compatible with a certain private server without owning the game already.

I absolutely agree that it's ethically wrong to do so.

The end.

I am too lazy to fire up WoW and read the entire EULA (both of them) just to make a point here but I seriously doubt there is not a provision covering this scenario that makes it illegal. And if running a server for WoW is illegal as in breaking the EULA, it follows that playing on it is as well.

Anyway, I'm fine with this being the end too because as I said, I couldn't be bothered with reading a lengthy EULA over this. I've never bothered reading any of them before. I am not about to start now. lol

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Instead of:
Code:

Try
Code:
4. In the terminal, type [B]sudo [/B]chmod u+x
Enter your password when it asks, press return, see if it works.

If that fails with the same error, next try:
Code:
4. In the terminal, type sudo chown "your_username "
with "your_username" being whatever the name of your Home User folder is, then:
Code:
Again, enter your password when it asks, press return, see if it works now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.