PDA

View Full Version : ? about 15" pb harddrive(80gb)

thairs
Oct 27, 2005, 05:10 PM
Well, I recieved my powerbook yesterday and got to dabble around with it all day. I've since installed WoW and a patch that is a total size of about 4gb, and I went to check my total hd space, and it said I have 56gb available. I know that the OS and other main resources feed into that 80gb, with about 74gb of real space to use, but after only installing a 4gb program, 56gb left seems really small. Are there any things I should uninstall, are the install files that need to be removed, or should I have gotten a bigger hd than 80gb?

Dwarf84396
Oct 27, 2005, 05:37 PM
The size of harddrives is a bit misleading nowadays. An 80GB harddrive only has 74GB of usable space after formatting. The OS itself takes up around 4GB, Gargageband another 4GB, and other programs and documents can take up even more space. Usually, straight from the factory, a 80GB PowerBook will only have about 60-62GB of free space on the HD. Hence the reason for the strange free space. (I might be wrong about some of my figures, it's coming from my head from experience, but it does come with a good deal of data pre-installed.)

SuperSnake2012
Oct 27, 2005, 06:32 PM
The size of harddrives is a bit misleading nowadays. An 80GB harddrive only has 74GB of usable space after formatting. The OS itself takes up around 4GB, Gargageband another 4GB, and other programs and documents can take up even more space. Usually, straight from the factory, a 80GB PowerBook will only have about 60-62GB of free space on the HD. Hence the reason for the strange free space. (I might be wrong about some of my figures, it's coming from my head from experience, but it does come with a good deal of data pre-installed.)
Correct. The OS, iLife, Garageband, and all those programs take up quite a bit of space. You can uninstall the things on there you feel unnecessary if you want to free up space. But 56GB is plenty ;)

Squonk
Oct 28, 2005, 11:25 AM

So with the 100GB drives, you'd have approx 80GB left, right? No wonder the largest iPods are still at 60GB - so you can fill it up from the internal drive on the powerbooks... :rolleyes: