PDA

View Full Version : Google went flat and it doesn't look like crap

apollo1444
May 3, 2013, 10:45 AM
enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!

ra4oasis
May 3, 2013, 10:49 AM
My thoughts exactly. Google Maps looks beautiful I think. Very simple, unobtrusive. I trust Jony Ive. The guy is freakin' Knighted because of his design sense. I think he'll do fine.

Simplicated
May 3, 2013, 10:55 AM
People set unrealistic expectations for Apple. But hey, it's a company made by humans, like anyone of us, too.

Jessica Lares
May 3, 2013, 11:14 AM
People are freaking out about the flatness, that is all. All these wannabe designers are to blame really, too many people take the mockups seriously.

Please don't.

Look at the App Store itself, and you'll get an idea of the flatness (a majority of icons already have it, it has been a look that has been in the works since iOS4). iOS and OS X has changed gradually every version. They aren't going to overhaul it so it looks unrecognizable overnight. That's bad design right there, and we all know the consequences Microsoft is facing due to them doing that.

mumph
May 3, 2013, 11:22 AM
Actually Jessica Windows 8 'looks' great, it just works 'crap' hehe.

Digital Dude
May 3, 2013, 11:32 AM
Been using the Mac since 1984 alongside Microsoft. I'm currently running Windows 7 on a separate drive in my Mac Pro and frankly the way things are displayed on the PC side are much more pleasing than the Mac interface. Apple still hasn't figured out how to scale objects on displays to be visually pleasing at the standard distance of 18~24 inches.

Regarding the flat interface, I actually liked my old Windows phone and I think the new Nokia-920 looks fantastic! Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't have the infrastructure that Apple with iTunes has so I find most of its services utterly useless. :(

Radiating
May 3, 2013, 11:35 AM
enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!

The reason people think flat will look bad is because of the play school atrocity that is windows 8. Everyone knows why it's ugly, because it's flat.

The best kind of design is the kind you don't notice, which is why nobody thinks of Google.

I thought it would look terrible too, before I looked past the obvious.

TouchMint.com
May 3, 2013, 11:36 AM

Yea I agree here msft is on the right path with their designs.

charlituna
May 3, 2013, 11:36 AM

Agreed. I downloaded the updated Google Search to test out all the battery claims and it is very flat.

I think some of the issue is that iOS has never been flat and that seems like it would be jarring after we've gotten use to the fancy. Google started off with a flat and simple design way back in the day so it's just returning to its roots.

Then again we don't know that iOS is going flat or even flatter. It's all just rumors based on Jony Ive being involved and several quotes and misquotes about how he hates skeuomorphism. It's possible that all we will see is the removal of fluff like the paper tear or the moving shadows which serve no valid function and are just to look nifty

Digital Dude
May 3, 2013, 01:13 PM
Either way, Apple really does need to give the iPhone an overhaul. Even the iPhone-5 is becoming somewhat dated compared to the competition. Sure, the iPhone infrastructure is much more functional than any other device out there but it needs a bit more screen real estate and a cleaner interface, flat or otherwise.

The Nokia 920 screen with the W8 interface is the most intuitive of anything I've seen, and it would be nice if Apple could come up with her own concept geared in that direction. Heck, now that 'Google Now' is on the iPhone, I see that as a good go-between until Apple wakes up!

Rogifan
May 3, 2013, 01:20 PM
Since when does flat = windows 8? Flat design has been around a lot longer than windows 8 (or ICS/Jellybean).

Digital Dude
May 3, 2013, 01:28 PM
Since when does flat = windows 8? Flat design has been around a lot longer than windows 8 (or ICS/Jellybean).

In practical terms and in context to this thread, I would say since the Windows 7 Phone. Microsoft has the resources to make the W8 phone a formidable device, but they simply don't have the talent to manage a phone-booth with a handful of quarters.

Rogifan
May 3, 2013, 01:58 PM
In practical terms and in context to this thread, I would say since the Windows 7 Phone. Microsoft has the resources to make the W8 phone a formidable device, but they simply don't have the talent to manage a phone-booth with a handful of quarters.

But really it's not about flat vs. non flat. It's about ugly vs. not ugly. The updated podcast app, the passbook app aren't really flat per say, but I think most would agree they're not ugly and certainly better than how they started out.

MasterTick
May 6, 2013, 04:55 PM

I assume you haven't actually used Windows 8. Because it doesn't work like "crap"

.Asa
May 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Oops, I think there was a typo in the title. It's supposed to say google went flat and it looks like crap.
I really hate the look of google's apps.

whocaresit
May 6, 2013, 08:14 PM

I've tried using Google Maps today.. the cartoonish-flat style is really terrible looking compared to Apple Maps.

mumph
May 7, 2013, 05:36 AM
I assume you haven't actually used Windows 8. Because it doesn't work like "crap"

You assume wrong. Also a mate of mine who was a staunch Apple hater :rolleyes: was so put off by Windows 8 he's gone and bought an iMac. I NEVER expected that from him. Also... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22439496)

apollo1444
May 7, 2013, 10:54 AM
I've tried using Google Maps today.. the cartoonish-flat style is really terrible looking compared to Apple Maps.

apple maps looks horrible, the navigation system looks alright

WhackyNinja
May 7, 2013, 09:45 PM

You can thank Larry Page the new CEO of Google for that. After Schdmit left Page wanted to redesign all the Google services with a flat design. Before Android 4, Android use to look like crap but now its a beautiful design that I have grown to love.

Reason077
May 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
Google Maps looks beautiful I think.

I disagree. While Google's app designs are functional and efficient, they lack the elegance, beauty, attention to detail and "taste" that Apple's possess.

If Apple were to start copying Google's boring designs it would be a very sad day - there wouldn't be much left to differentiate iOS and Android.

bozzykid
May 10, 2013, 12:31 AM
Some people just don't realize 'flat design' has nothing to do with how well an app is designed. You can use all the flat icons and textures you want, but if the UI sucks it will not matter.

helloimadam
May 10, 2013, 02:30 AM
If a flatter design would involve fewer rounded corners, then I'm for it. Never been a fan of that.

JaySoul
May 10, 2013, 08:53 AM
I much preferred the old iOS Google Maps design over the new app one.

And for driving, I much prefer Apple Maps. The simplicity is foolproof.

It's all a bit mixed up.

Alx9876
May 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
Everyone is going flat tiles because there isn't anything left do to with a UI.

It's all been done so now the talentless hacks at Google and Microsoft are using flash cards on a 1st graders desk then calling it a flat look UI.

Rogifan
May 10, 2013, 07:26 PM
Everyone is going flat tiles because there isn't anything left do to with a UI.

It's all been done so now the talentless hacks at Google and Microsoft are using flash cards on a 1st graders desk then calling it a flat look UI.

Because this looks so much better? If anything looks like its been designed for kids it's iOS :rolleyes:

http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/temporary-friends.jpg?w=604&h=336

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Game-center-mac-app.png

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Art/realistic_contacts.png

http://amychr.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/photo-3-2.png

http://cdn.everythingicafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/iphoto_gallery2.jpg

Alx9876
May 10, 2013, 07:57 PM
I actually agree with you^^. However my post was referring to the icons. Not the actual look of the apps.

No tiles please. Apple is better than that.

watchthisspace
May 11, 2013, 08:17 AM

You won't be seeing 'tiles' on iOS.

Open up the app store and expect icons to look like that if anything.

Oui
May 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
My thoughts exactly. Google Maps looks beautiful I think. Very simple, unobtrusive. I trust Jony Ive. The guy is freakin' Knighted because of his design sense. I think he'll do fine.

This comment literally made me laugh out loud.

Rogifan
May 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
I actually agree with you^^. However my post was referring to the icons. Not what the actual look of the apps.

Agree with you there.

ppeyton1143
May 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
yeah. the new google+ , google play, gmail etc. look very flat and i love 'em, if apple brings out something like that then i'll make sure i'll update as soon as possible.

adildacoolset
May 20, 2013, 05:09 AM

Are you honestly expecting logic to be used on the Internet? You have very high expectations.

otismotive77
May 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
yeah. the new google+ , google play, gmail etc. look very flat and i love 'em, if apple brings out something like that then i'll make sure i'll update as soon as possible.

yeah man, those apps have a flat look and everyone loves them. the new flat iOS will be beautiful. you can never satisfy people, especially when it's apple trying to do something new.

ppeyton1143
May 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
yeah man, those apps have a flat look and everyone loves them. the new flat iOS will be beautiful. you can never satisfy people, especially when it's apple trying to do something new.

haha...agreed. most of the times when apple is about to bring something new, about 60-70% people say bad things about it, and at the end, apple brings out a great product.

RenoG
May 20, 2013, 01:19 PM
As was mentioned Apple IOS already has flatness all over to give you some idea of what they are capable of bringing i.e. app store/ itunes podcast player etc. All the flat they are currently doing is very nice so whats all the hubbub about?

bozzykid
May 20, 2013, 02:05 PM
I see a lot of people are confusing the use of flat elements with UI design. The use of flat elements is only a part of design. While the Google+, Gmail, and other Google apps are using flat elements, what makes them good apps is their interface design. The type of gradients they use has little to do with it being a good design. Utilizing gestures, slide out menus, etc is what makes them useful. This is what Apple needs to focus on, not what the icons look like.

Rogifan
May 20, 2013, 08:24 PM
I see a lot of people are confusing the use of flat elements with UI design. The use of flat elements is only a part of design. While the Google+, Gmail, and other Google apps are using flat elements, what makes them good apps is their interface design. The type of gradients they use has little to do with it being a good design. Utilizing gestures, slide out menus, etc is what makes them useful. This is what Apple needs to focus on, not what the icons look like.

This could very well be what Apple is focusing on. We don't know. Because the rumors obsessed so much over the word "flat" everyone is focusing on that. The Bloomberg article did say that Ive was working on an overhaul of the mail and calendar apps, but they might not be finished in time for iOS 7.

tekboi
May 20, 2013, 11:32 PM
this whole notion that going flat is going to look bad is ridiculous. So far, every implementation of the flat UI in software has been a hit. I'm just mad that apple didn't start the trend. I'm used to Apple being the one to lead trends...

Tar Sniffer
May 21, 2013, 10:44 PM
Take a look at Tim Green's article on the rumoured design of iOS 7. He makes an interesting argument about the recent trend towards flat design, and how Apple could respond. He only provides a one image example, but it looks way better than the Metro influenced ultra flat tiles that have been appearing of late.

https://medium.com/thoughts-and-words/5ccef7b3e1fc

mbushnell
May 22, 2013, 10:55 AM
I kind of like flat design.

MigsVuitton
May 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
Flat design = the new web 2.0

CEO's and execs are going to be asking for flat design but they don't know wtf that means. The term is actually pretty dumb. By flat design do they mean COLOR and vectors???

I prefer that minimal look but I definitely don't see it as flat.

DaffyDuck
May 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

Dude, the felt park texture in Apple Maps looks like it was ripped straight from South Park. They also copied the lack of curves. You just get polygon lakes in Apple maps.

Todd B.
May 30, 2013, 08:15 AM

Uh, yes it does.

Have you even SEEN Google's new "designs"? They're boring, uninspired, and terrible. The last thing people need to do is copy Google's lazy design methods.

Parise
May 30, 2013, 09:56 AM
Uh, yes it does.

Have you even SEEN Google's new "designs"? They're boring, uninspired, and terrible. The last thing people need to do is copy Google's lazy design methods.

I have and they're gorgeous. Google+ and Google Now on iOS are nicer than any app Apple has put out.

If by "boring and uninspired" you mean they don't resemble a poker table or a leather bound portfolio, then sure.

Michael Goff
May 30, 2013, 09:58 AM
Nobody is hitting what I think is the best thing that distinguishes Google flat designs and Apple's skeuomorphism.

Google's apps look -professional-.

Todd B.
May 30, 2013, 10:20 AM
Nobody is hitting what I think is the best thing that distinguishes Google flat designs and Apple's skeuomorphism.

Google's apps look -professional-.

If by "professional", you mean "look like they spent two seconds in Paintbrush and called it a day", then sure.

It's ugly rectangles and... that's it. Hardly anything to be proud of.

If that's professional, then I don't want it anywhere near iOS.

Michael Goff
May 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
If by "professional", you mean "look like they spent two seconds in Paintbrush and called it a day", then sure.

It's ugly rectangles and... that's it. Hardly anything to be proud of.

If that's professional, then I don't want it anywhere near iOS.

You think Skeuomorphism looks professional instead?

It looks like it's made for people who are trying too hard to be "cool".

apollo1444
May 30, 2013, 11:03 AM
Uh, yes it does.

you are alone in the universe. android looks awesome

bushido
May 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
Uh, yes it does.

you must be looking at some ugly custom rom or something because the default looks amazing, clean and simple

Todd B.
May 30, 2013, 11:50 AM
You think Skeuomorphism looks professional instead?

It looks like it's made for people who are trying too hard to be "cool".

Reminders is a good design.

iPad Calendar is a good design.

iBooks is a good design.

Plain old rectangles and bland colours is not good design. It's borrrrring. Don't want it.

I think that Apple won't make the mistakes that Google did, though. They'll "simplify" it but not make it boring, bland, and colourless.

(Just as long as they don't take away iBooks or Calendar. I use those because they look good - I mean, look at Google calendar. It's just... there.)

Parise
May 30, 2013, 12:08 PM

iBooks is a good design.

Plain old rectangles and bland colours is not good design. It's borrrrring. Don't want it.

I think that Apple won't make the mistakes that Google did, though. They'll "simplify" it but not make it boring, bland, and colourless.

(Just as long as they don't take away iBooks or Calendar. I use those because they look good - I mean, look at Google calendar. It's just... there.)

lol "Look at Google calendar. It's just... there"

I wouldn't say its THAT ugly, but you have somewhat of a point.

http://shesageek.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/google-calendar-android.jpeg

Its a ton more functional though. It looks at any appointments you have for that day, communicates with Google Maps, and shoots you a reminder saying "Hey, you may want to leave now. If you leave any later with this traffic you'll be late."

The People app that I use so much on my iPhone? Garbage.

The Google Contacts app is a design marvel when compared to the iOS implementation.

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ics-jellybean-contacts-app.jpg

I also wouldn't exactly say the Google Books app is ugly.

http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/reviews/3377600/Google_Play_Books_III.png

BvizioN
May 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
you are alone in the universe. android looks awesome

Are you trying to be sarcastic or something? :rolleyes:

Michael Goff
May 30, 2013, 12:19 PM

iBooks is a good design.

I don't like the iPad calendar, nor do I like iBooks. I don't really like reminders all that much either.

Also, as somebody pointed out... look at contacts. *shudder*

Guess we have a difference of opinions?

Parise
May 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
I don't like the iPad calendar, nor do I like iBooks. I don't really like reminders all that much either.

Also, as somebody pointed out... look at contacts. *shudder*

Guess we have a difference of opinions?

Hell, lets just use the Mail app as an example...

:: puke ::

Michael Goff
May 30, 2013, 12:33 PM

I ignore that the mail app exists on my iPad.

>_>

I just use GMail.

apollo1444
May 30, 2013, 06:32 PM
Are you trying to be sarcastic or something? :rolleyes:

not joking, stock android looks clean and very modern.

joegleur
May 31, 2013, 12:21 AM
gradients: web 2.0. the world has moved on beyond that.

i agree with the alleged comment that ive said about skeumorphism. objects-based design may breed familiarity but it doesnt stand the test of time.

google's design sense especially on their iOS apps is beautiful. i absolutely despise the stitches in notification center and folders and dont get me started on the stopwatch function of the stock clocks app. ugh.

just get a team of european or japanese designers into iOS and we're set.

JoeG4
May 31, 2013, 01:24 AM
I think once you get used to whatever comes in iOS 7, you'll find iOS 6 and prior to be kinda brash with the thick plastic gradients later on lol.

Pretty sure of it. :) It's like stepping back to OS X 10.1 now!

http://www.macintouch.com/specialreports/lion/img/aqua/aqua100pb_large.jpg

Dare I say it, I look forward to seeing whatever it is - I've been pretty happy with Jellybean, but I've been using ICS/JB for a long time now, and I'm getting bored of the black, black everywhere thing. Hehe.

BvizioN
May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
not joking, stock android looks clean and very modern.

Yeah, OK. But about a forumer you commented on being alone in a universe with regards to iOS! Guess that was a good joke! I know iOS at the moment may lack few features that Android have but from my experience on using both, I wouldn't even dream of changing it. And no, it is not a fanboyisem! It's me using the platform that suits me best.

In the end it is a matter of preferences.

apollo1444
May 31, 2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah, OK. But about a forumer you commented on being alone in a universe with regards to iOS! Guess that was a good joke! I know iOS at the moment may lack few features that Android have but from my experience on using both, I wouldn't even dream of changing it. And no, it is not a fanboyisem! It's me using the platform that suits me best.

In the end it is a matter of preferences.

I agree, but you are talking about usability which I agree 100% not about looks, and look wise iOS looks outdated and very fisher price like, compared to other platforms like Windows Mobile, blackberry 10, and Android which do look flat but they look great

IHailPhilly
May 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
I like the flat concept, I also have faith in Ive! He knows how to do his thing!

sdilley14
May 31, 2013, 03:42 PM
Because this looks so much better? If anything looks like its been designed for kids it's iOS :rolleyes:

Image (http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/temporary-friends.jpg?w=604&h=336)

Image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Game-center-mac-app.png)

Image (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Art/realistic_contacts.png)

Image (http://amychr.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/photo-3-2.png)

Image (http://cdn.everythingicafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/iphoto_gallery2.jpg)

What a joke. Except for the Notepad those are all completely infantile and a pain to look at. And the Notepad isn't far behind. I've been screaming this same thing for a long time now. I'll take "flat / black & white" over these current offerings ANY day!

Todd B.
May 31, 2013, 05:35 PM

What is wrong with the mail app? It's quite nice.

At least it can figure out how to load quickly, not spam notifications for things I've deleted ages ago, and log me out every other day unlike the Gmail app.

Rogifan
May 31, 2013, 08:21 PM
What a joke. Except for the Notepad those are all completely infantile and a pain to look at. And the Notepad isn't far behind. I've been screaming this same thing for a long time now. I'll take "flat / black & white" over these current offerings ANY day!

I'd love a way to easily hide/show apps. On my windows laptop I always have the desktop hidden so all that's on my screen are the couple widgets I have and whatever wallpaper I'm using. I access apps or folders via start menu or task bar. So clean I love it.

ninethirty
Jun 2, 2013, 09:03 AM
Uh, yeah. I've seen Google's new "designs". They're amazing. If anyone's employing a "lazy" attitude to anything, it's Apple (and I say that as a pretty die hard Apple fan).

Here's a fantastic article on Google's recent design changes.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/24/3904134/google-redesign-how-larry-page-engineered-beautiful-revolution

I can't understand how anyone could call that lazy.

I hope Apple shows us something amazing next week, but if they don't, I think I may finally jump ship. Stock Android, and all of Google's apps are beautiful, and they're miles beyond what we've got with iPhone. I only wish Android handsets were as beautiful as Apple's.

Uh, yes it does.

Todd B.
Jun 2, 2013, 09:07 AM
Uh, yeah. I've seen Google's new "designs". They're amazing. If anyone's employing a "lazy" attitude to anything, it's Apple (and I say that as a pretty die hard Apple fan).

Here's a fantastic article on Google's recent design changes.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/24/3904134/google-redesign-how-larry-page-engineered-beautiful-revolution

I can't understand how anyone could call that lazy.

I hope Apple shows us something amazing next week, but if they don't, I think I may finally jump ship. Stock Android, and all of Google's apps are beautiful, and they're miles beyond what we've got with iPhone. I only wish Android handsets were as beautiful as Apple's.

So your "evidence" is an article from someplace that reads like a Google press release?

Seriously boring rectangles and white backgrounds are not "beautiful" or a "revolution".

ninethirty
Jun 2, 2013, 09:12 AM
You clearly didn't read the article.

So your "evidence" is an article from someplace that reads like a Google press release?

Seriously boring rectangles and white backgrounds are not "beautiful" or a "revolution".

Rogifan
Jun 2, 2013, 04:51 PM

Neither is faux leather and green felt.

xcodeaddict
Jun 2, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hands up if you only comment to get people to up-vote your comment? C'mon - be honest! ;)

PBF
Jun 2, 2013, 06:18 PM
I want the next iOS and Mac OS to look and feel like Tweetbot.

The guys behind Tapbots are freaking design gurus.

Parise
Jun 3, 2013, 09:37 AM
What is wrong with the mail app? It's quite nice.

At least it can figure out how to load quickly, not spam notifications for things I've deleted ages ago, and log me out every other day unlike the Gmail app.

How many steps is it to go from your inbox to your sent folder in the Mail app? The usability of it is absolute garbage.

----------

So, what I'm hearing is that because you dislike Google so much, any positive review about their processes will read as a Google press release.

As someone before me asked, did you even read the article?

Todd B.
Jun 3, 2013, 10:04 AM
How many steps is it to go from your inbox to your sent folder in the Mail app? The usability of it is absolute garbage.

Press the "back" arrow, click on the sent items mailbox.

It's the same step as the Gmail app, click on the "menu" button, click on the sent box.

How is that so bad?