Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
I have been a android user from the very beginning and defended android to no end. Honestly I never game iPhone a fair chance. Well finally today I spent hours on end with it and finally understand why its so popular. Looking at any Android at any size is like looking at a cartoon.
It really is simple and straight forward and I'm willing to sacrifice screen size for the polished iPhone 5.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I have been a android user from the very beginning and defended android to no end. Honestly I never game iPhone a fair chance. Well finally today I spent hours on end with it and finally understand why its so popular. Looking at any Android at any size is like looking at a cartoon.
It really is simple and straight forward and I'm willing to sacrifice screen size for the polished iPhone 5.

When I first had to use an iPhone at work for a period of time, I also understood why the device appeals to so many people. Personally, I don't see myself switching over. There are just too many things that I feel that I would have to give up. Also, some of the things I had to do to set up my wife's iPhone were just annoyingly difficult.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am not sure what you mean by "looking at an Android of any screen size is like looking at a cartoon.", but hey, awesome you gave something new a try and enjoyed it.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Good for you, OP, but by posting this in the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" section, you've just opened yourself up to looking like you're just trying to start a flame war.

This is DEFINITELY in the wrong section.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Good for you, OP, but by posting this in the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" section, you've just opened yourself up to looking like you're just trying to start a flame war.

This is DEFINITELY in the wrong section.

Actually I posted it on the iPhone section and the mod moved it.
I'm going to run for cover but honestly maybe I just needed a change.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Go vanilla android if you want clean and polished.

I like my Nexus 4 - don't get me wrong, but vanilla Android seems almost purposefully unfinished.

Part of the charm with vanilla Android is making it your own - so clean, yes but I wouldn't say polished necessarily - depending on how you look at it. I see it as needing quite a bit of user input (apps, launchers etc.) to make it really usefully and awesome.

There is a certain charm to Apple's polish - which is why it's so popular.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Actually I posted it on the iPhone section and the mod moved it.
I'm going to run for cover but honestly maybe I just needed a change.

LOL...seriously? Then I apologize because you definitely posted it in the right place originally.

Looks like the mods in this section are bored and trying to start trouble so they've got something to do...LMAO. :p

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Yep. iOS and Windows Phone have a level of polish leaps and bounds above Android, but Android has a level of flexibility (in some respects) leaps and bounds above iOS and Windows Phone.

The polish is why I left Android and went to Windows Phone and frankly I dont miss too much besides not having SnapChat and random iOS games people tell me to try (which Android also usually lacks).

Frankly, each has their own reasons for why they are "the best choice", but to deny that Android has a lot of flexibility or that Windows Phone and iOS are not more polished than Android would be foolish.

Even without Android's flexibility I manage to get more done on my Windows Phone than I could on my iPhone or Android simply because I am an Office/OneNote/SkyDrive user so Im reading notes, adding photos to OneNote, or editing Excel sheets from my phone etc.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

iPhones are nice....if you dont mind being limited and having to use iTunes. I hate iTunes myself and of course the screen is just too small........and i hate their keyboard.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
LOL...seriously? Then I apologize because you definitely posted it in the right place originally.

Mod Note:

From a Sticky in the Alternatives forum:
The "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" forum is for discussion of non-Apple smartphones and tablets and their operating systems, as well as comparisons with Apple products.

Since the OP was certainly comparing the iPhone to Android phones, it seemed better suited for the Alternatives forum.

jamesbii

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
I like my Nexus 4 - don't get me wrong, but vanilla Android seems almost purposefully unfinished.

Part of the charm with vanilla Android is making it your own - so clean, yes but I wouldn't say polished necessarily - depending on how you look at it. I see it as needing quite a bit of user input (apps, launchers etc.) to make it really usefully and awesome.

There is a certain charm to Apple's polish - which is why it's so popular.

I have to agree. I have a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5, and I found the Nexus collecting a lot of dust because the iPhone had much more appeal out of the box. The Nexus display was crisp, but colors were faded. The camera was good, but usually lagged behind the picture I got with the iPhone. The built-in speaker was tinny and quiet, and battery life was nowhere near the iPhone's. Then one day I decided to take the full plunge with a root, custom ROM, cutom kernel, etc. I was able to get in the Nexus and do some serious work to change the audio signal processing and get the speaker to amazing volumes without distortion, though the sound can be a bit painful because the response is mostly in the higher frequency range. I changed the compression settings for audio and video recording so the videos come out much, much better with fuller audio. I got a color and gamut calibrator to modify the display and, while the Nexus 4 forums are still working on how to get the settings good enough to match the iPhone, the display is gorgeous now. Dynamic CPU controls save tons of battery and provide boosts up to 1.9ghz if using only one (of the four!) CPU cores. Needless to say it took me several days to do all of this, but if you put it on a store shelf next to the stock version you could easily ask more money for these customizations. The hardware was all there, but the software prevented it from reaching its fullest potential. What I found more strange was that, after developers found ways to correct the complaints about the Nexus display after LG and Google largely ignored them, Google promptly issued an update to render the developers' improvements ineffective. That struck me as an odd move, especially if neither Google nor LG were willing to optimize what should be an absolutely gorgeous display. It has all the makings of a top-notch screen, but just wasn't quite calibrated properly.
I think that is the biggest difference between iOS and the many Android phones I've used. iOS is polished and simple, and the iPhone may not have the best camera, the fastest processor, biggest battery, etc. when compared to every phone on the market, but it is positioned so that it has a good overall package that gives good performance in each area and usually holds its own in head-to-head comparison. Most people tend to compare the one iPhone to the array of other phones and then explain why the iPhone is inferior, forgetting that the comparison they are making would require a Frankenstein version of all the other phones that beat it in one area or another. For example, the HTC One X had a beautiful display, but dismal battery life. The Samsung Galaxy line (used to) have oddly tinted and slightly grainy displays, but awesome cameras with endless options for photo taking. If you're willing to do some tinkering to get the max out of your device and make it distinctly personal, only Android can really provide that. If you prefer to go to the store and have something that is going to hit most marks relatively well with not much effort on your part, then Apple is a better choice for some. I personally think both are robust and entertaining platforms, but the only caveat is that not all Androids are equal--choose wisely! Pick the one you like, does what you need, feels good in your hands, whatever. Most people use only a fraction of the huge abundance of features on their phones anyways. And when in doubt, just get one of each ;-).

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Mod Note:

From a Sticky in the Alternatives forum:

Since the OP was certainly comparing the iPhone to Android phones, it seemed better suited for the Alternatives forum.

You knew this was coming. :rolleyes:

Seriously, how in the world can the original post be considered comparing the iPhone to any Android phone? It's the OP's opinion, but it's far from a comparison.

I stand by my original statement. This should be over in the iPhone section of the forum, NOT the Alternatives section.

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
OP... Most of the users that post here are still iPhone owners that now has android phones. I myself owned all iphone models. I still have my jail broken iPhone 5 but comparing it to my HTC One... I will have to pass on my iPhone 5 this time around.

Congrats to you though for being happy with your iPhone. Its just a lot of us here are moving forward.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Op,

Yes the iPhone is very simple and very straightforward and that's what alot of us love about it. I came from android and yes with all the new cool stuff coming or already here for android I get tempted to sell my iPhone 5 but I always know that once I sell my iPhone and get the new latest android with the latest this and the latest that after a while ill go back to my testy iPhone that just works as is and it's something g I never have to tinker with.

Different strokes for different folks, a droid is cool and loads if fund if you like tinkering with it, different ways to customize it so no android phone is truly unique and the ability to set default apps is something f I love like using tubemate and downloading YouTube videos right to my sd card or setting google maps as my default maps and its something apple needs to loosen up on since the experience is so restricted but the trouble if selling and risk getting owned by some punk kid off Craigslist +plus the fact that the iPhone just works and its just too damn reliable always leads me to keep the iPhone.
If you just want a phone as a communication tool and using useful apps ill argue the iPhone is that but if you're staring at the screen all day, adding new widgets, changing wallpaper and all that stuff get a android phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think it's time to admit that Android is better for more reasons than just customization.

It's simply easier to do most of the same basic functions on a modern day Android device than on an iOS device. I can make a phone call to a very specific person with literally one touch, as oppose to requiring multiple touches and/or holding for Siri and speaking (not always practical in a place you can't or don't want to talk) and waiting for Siri to dial the right person. One touch on Android that is guaranteed the right person.

It's easier to open new tabs, or switch tabs, or start private browsing on Chrome than it is to do any of that in Safari. Safari has tap to go back to the top that is one advantage, but not much else. The freedom of scrolling all the way to the top with one flick in Chrome also helps mitigate this.

Accessing mail is easier through Gmail if you have multiple accounts. Sharing is easier because you can actually share to any app you want, as oppose to iOS only allowing you to share to FB/Twitter. DropBox, for example, I can share directly to if I snap a picture, check it out from the camera gallery, and decide I want to load this onto DropBox. I can do this right away. With iOS, I have to exit and go to DropBox and find the picture again to "upload" it.

Then things like the dedicated menu button or the dedicated back button; always there, always reliable. With iOS, sometimes the settings is in the main iOS Settings area, sometimes it's in the app. With the "back" button on iOS, sometimes it's top left, sometimes top right, sometimes it's a "cancel" button on the center-bottom of screen. You have to "look" for it many times.

These are but a few examples. I can go on about turning on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, the lock screen when I don't need the added security, or quickly changing the volume toggles (yes there's a "vibrate" hardware switch but when in an important meeting, even vibrating can be heard and unwanted) -- all these things are doable with Android with one touch. One.

I can launch any app I want directly from the lock screen. Again, easier, faster access.

And don't get me started on the keyboard...

There are a few exceptions, of course, but it's time people realize that most of the things that iOS used to be better at are now either on fair grounds or has been surpassed by Android this day and age. It's not just customizations anymore -- that's now just a bonus. Android has figured out how to do most of the same basic functions in better, faster, easier ways.

EDIT: This post isn't necessarily directed at the OP. I'm happy you found the phone you want and like. Just saying, throughout the thread, noticing people keep mentioning customizations about Android being the only thing "fun" about it. It is fun, but there's much more to Android now than just customizations, is my point.

Last edited:

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I think it's time to admit that Android is better for more reasons than just customization.

It's simply easier to do most of the same basic functions on a modern day Android device than on an iOS device. I can make a phone call to a very specific person with literally one touch, as oppose to requiring multiple touches and/or holding for Siri and speaking (not always practical in a place you can't or don't want to talk) and waiting for Siri to dial the right person. One touch on Android that is guaranteed the right person.

It's easier to open new tabs, or switch tabs, or start private browsing on Chrome than it is to do any of that in Safari. Safari has tap to go back to the top that is one advantage, but not much else. The freedom of scrolling all the way to the top with one flick in Chrome also helps mitigate this.

Accessing mail is easier through Gmail if you have multiple accounts. Sharing is easier because you can actually share to any app you want, as oppose to iOS only allowing you to share to FB/Twitter. DropBox, for example, I can share directly to if I snap a picture, check it out from the camera gallery, and decide I want to load this onto DropBox. I can do this right away. With iOS, I have to exit and go to DropBox and find the picture again to "upload" it.

Then things like the dedicated menu button or the dedicated back button; always there, always reliable. With iOS, sometimes the settings is in the main iOS Settings area, sometimes it's in the app. With the "back" button on iOS, sometimes it's top left, sometimes top right, sometimes it's a "cancel" button on the center-bottom of screen. You have to "look" for it many times.

These are but a few examples. I can go on about turning on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, the lock screen when I don't need the added security, or quickly changing the volume toggles (yes there's a "vibrate" hardware switch but when in an important meeting, even vibrating can be heard and unwanted) -- all these things are doable with Android with one touch. One.

I can launch any app I want directly from the lock screen. Again, easier, faster access.

There are a few exceptions, of course, but it's time people realize that most of the things that iOS used to be better at are now either on fair grounds or has been surpassed by Android this day and age. It's not just customizations anymore -- that's now just a bonus. Android has figured out how to do most of the same basic functions in better, faster, easier ways.

EDIT: This post isn't necessarily directed at the OP. I'm happy you found the phone you want and like. Just saying, throughout the thread, noticing people keep mentioning customizations about Android being the only thing "fun" about it. It is fun, but there's much more to Android now than just customizations, is my point.

Better is subjective and just depends on the person, it's not "Better" than Iphone imo, imo it is but you have attendancy to push your opinion as gospel around here and people who disagree with you are "sheep".

Nothing is easier and more basic than Iphone....

Most smartphone users don't even turn off wifi or bluetooth or whatever.. they leave it on all day long and forget about it.

How you use your phone you're the minority.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nothing is easier and more basic than Iphone....

Basic? Sure. Easier? Highly debatable.

----------

So where was this argument of "better is all a matter of preference" back when iOS and iPhone were the better phone and operating system?

There was a time it was a pleasure to recommend the iPhone or defend it. Over the past two years, it's gotten harder and harder to do that.

Now that the competition has caught up and in many areas surpassed the iPhone and iOS, then "better" is now just relative and subjective and can't be used to describe any OS.

Just asking the question.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Basic? Sure. Easier? Highly debatable.

----------

So where was this argument of "better is all a matter of preference" back when iOS and iPhone were the better phone and operating system?

There was a time it was a pleasure to recommend the iPhone or defend it. Over the past two years, it's gotten harder and harder to do that.

Now that the competition has caught up and in many areas surpassed the iPhone and iOS, then "better" is now just relative and subjective and can't be used to describe any OS.

Just asking the question.

Like I said that's debatable for the person. Android is more advanced and it can do things that iOS can't do and I gave two examples of that in multitasking and setting default apps but still that doesn't make it a better Os experience.

For the majority those things aren't a issue due to how the majority uses the phone and even with all the advanced android features you still have to deal with a less stable and more buggy experience.

Take the gs4 and the 9 gigs of internal memory. the memory hog know as touch wiz eats up damn near 8gigs alone, you cant install programs on the memory card anymore and even if you did what if the memory card malfunctions? It won't be as fast as installing to internal memory regardless so that's a trade off. Battery life is still a issue on many android phones while you may have improved stand by time, using the phone you drain faster than the iPhone.

You still have to deal with bloat ware, carriers waiting to install and test updates.... Verizon? Hey, where's the Verizon s4 btw?

It's still a trade off bro, people by iPhones because its just a better all in one solution and your opinion won't change for the way some of us think.

Hey, I remember swift key eating up 50mbs on older android phones and producing lag, some android phones still have lag now you just can't expect a open source os to be as smooth as a closed off os wp8 is pretty smooth and more consistent than android.

It's time to just let it go.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Like I said that's debatable for the person. Android is more advanced and it can do things that iOS can't do and I gave two examples of that in multitasking and setting default apps but still that doesn't make it a better Os experience.

For the majority those things aren't a issue due to how the majority uses the phone and even with all the advanced android features you still have to deal with a less stable and more buggy experience.

Take the gs4 and the 9 gigs of internal memory. the memory hog know as touch wiz eats up damn near 8gigs alone, you cant install programs on the memory card anymore and even if you did what if the memory card malfunctions? It won't be as fast as installing to internal memory regardless so that's a trade off. Battery life is still a issue on many android phones while you may have improved stand by time, using the phone you drain faster than the iPhone.

You still have to deal with bloat ware, carriers waiting to install and test updates.... Verizon? Hey, where's the Verizon s4 btw?

It's still a trade off bro, people by iPhones because its just a better all in one solution and your opinion won't change for the way some of us think.

Hey, I remember swift key eating up 50mbs on older android phones and producing lag, some android phones still have lag now you just can't expect a open source os to be as smooth as a closed off os wp8 is pretty smooth and more consistent than android.

It's time to just let it go.

I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things you say there, so I'll let it be. Only thing I'll point out is that Verizon not getting the S4 has nothing to do with Android the OS itself. I mean, Tmobile only recently got the iPhone 5, but I don't use that to discuss iOS' shortcomings.

And time to iet it go? I'm not holding onto anything. Just posting thoughts on a forum about smartphones. All I did here was point out that Android can now be considered better for more than just the fun of customization.

And that I don't know why we suddenly are so sensitive to calling an OS "better" when many people (myself included) were happily doing so when describing iOS/iPhone not that long ago.. iOS was the better operating system and many people said as much and defended it [easily] as such. Now, the tides have changed and it seems to say a competitive platform is better is unacceptable and somehow insults the subjectivity of a user.

Again, just throwing the point out there.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

When you cherry pick use cases and features, you can make any point you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.