PDA

View Full Version : dog ate my power cord!

jbstew32
May 3, 2013, 03:34 PM
So my dog is teething, and although I've been pretty careful about what I leave within his grasp, I made a mistake. I left him alone for 10 minutes in a room with my MBA power cord, and he punctured the DC power end (the side that connects to the laptop). My MBA is now dead and cannot be charged.

So, I doubt the Apple store will take any mercy on me and replace it, and thus I am trying to figure out the best option for replacement. My girlfriend has a 2012 MBP that came with the L type magsafe 1 adapter, so here are the options that I see:

1. Buy a used or non-genuine 85W L style magsafe + magsafe 2 adapter, so either laptop can be charged.

2. Buy a used or non-genuine 85W T style magsafe + magsafe 2 adapter, so either laptop can be charged.

3. Buy a used or non-genuine 85W magsafe 2 adapter and be done with it (I see no reason to buy the 45W model since it only works with the MBA)

Anybody have any experience with the magsafe 1 to magsafe 2 adapters? Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do any of the options I've listed? Are non-genuine power adapters bad news?

Any feedback would be awesome. Obviously I'm looking for flexibility (unless those mag-mag2 adapters suck) at best, or just a new power cord at worst, without paying $100 at the apple store

itsOver9000
May 3, 2013, 03:49 PM
So my dog is teething, and although I've been pretty careful about what I leave within his grasp, I made a mistake. I left him alone for 10 minutes in a room with my MBA power cord, and he punctured the DC power end (the side that connects to the laptop). My MBA is now dead and cannot be charged.

you can splice it back together. I've had to do that to quite a few older 60w magsafe 1 chargers, T and L types.

Are non-genuine power adapters bad news?

I've also had to purchase a number of generic 60w magsafe 1 chargers. For the most part they work fine. A few I've had that just didn't work out of the box, or a few that stopped working within 6 months, but otherwise good luck with them.

atarria
May 4, 2013, 08:48 AM
I have a similar problem with one of my cats who like to chew cords. I protect exposed ones with plastic tubing. This cat chewed two speaker cables and shorted out the electronics. You should verify the the computer did not suffer internal damage before investing in cables. Get one from a friend and do a test charge.

jbstew32
May 4, 2013, 10:09 PM
thanks for the feedback guys! it's much appreciated

i've heard a few horror stories on the non-genuine adapters, but I trust the people on this forum and wanted to hear your personal experiences. i'll give it a shot!

also atarria, that's a good call. fortunately, the macbook wasn't plugged in at the time! otherwise that would be a whole other degree of panic :)

Mr. Retrofire
May 5, 2013, 12:52 AM
dog ate my power cord!
Tasty!

stchman
May 5, 2013, 11:49 PM
Here is a used one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-45W-MagSafe-2-Adapter-/261209524709?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item3cd14d09e5

Here is a cord that you could use to replace your chewed cord.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Original-APPLE-45W-60W-85W-Magsafe2-Retina-Display-AC-Adapter-Repair-Cord-/370726029213?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item5650fe479d

Mr Kram
May 5, 2013, 11:52 PM
i wouldn't risk blowing up my MBA with a cheapo third party charger. find a used one if you are on a budget. funny enough i went through 2 magsafe chargers on my old macbook.

PBG4 Dude
May 7, 2013, 12:31 PM
My cat just did this to my MBA power supply last week. the cheapest solution for me was to spend $10 for the magsafe -> magsafe 2 adapter. The magnet in the adapter makes it hold on very strongly to the magsafe 1 power supply.