Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triplecrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Toms River, NJ
So I've downloaded the refind binary file and I tried installing but its not working for me. I "./install.sh" and I also tried copying the file from the install folder to terminal and it seemed liked it installed but when I restart OSX comes back up. Anyone have a dumbed down installation process for me?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Did you remember to do a sudo ./install.sh? Also if you hold down Alt before Apple chime on reboot - does it then show refind menu?

triplecrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Toms River, NJ
Did you remember to do a sudo ./install.sh? Also if you hold down Alt before Apple chime on reboot - does it then show refind menu?

I did not do "sudo". This is why I am looking for instructions for "dummies" as I could use some help. I did not try alt on reboot. I'll give that a shot although what's the point of having refind if you still need to hit the alt button.

----------

Hit alt upon reboot and still have the normal boot loader. No refind. If someone can just write down exactly how they installed it, it would make this easier I believe.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
I did not do "sudo". This is why I am looking for instructions for "dummies" as I could use some help. I did not try alt on reboot. I'll give that a shot although what's the point of having refind if you still need to hit the alt button.

----------

Hit alt upon reboot and still have the normal boot loader. No refind. If someone can just write down exactly how they installed it, it would make this easier I believe.

With newer version of refind, it looks like you don't even need to use sudo - it will do that automatically. So as long as you entered your password after running the script and the script said install completed successfully - it should all just work.

The instructions listed here are pretty clear and simple - can you open Terminal.app and run the install.sh as instructed above and copy/paste the output of the script here if it still doesn't work?

triplecrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Toms River, NJ
Last login: Fri May 3 21:02:02 on ttys000
carloss-imac:~ MYNAME$ /Users/MYNAME/refind-bin-0.6.9/install.sh
Not running as root; attempting to elevate privileges via sudo....
Password:
Installing rEFInd on OS X....
Installing rEFInd to the partition mounted at '//'
Copied rEFInd binary files

Notice: Backed up existing icons directory as icons-backup.
Existing refind.conf file found; copying sample file as refind.conf-sample
to avoid overwriting your customizations.

WARNING: If you have an Advanced Format disk, *DO NOT* attempt to check the
bless status with 'bless --info', since this is known to cause disk corruption
on some systems!!

Installation has completed successfully.

carloss-imac:~ MYNAME$

Thanks for the response. Thats what I get after I copy and paste the install.sh file into terminal and run it. I think I get the notice part because I've done it a couple times. The link you posted are the instructions I was following.

----------

Also, when I go to Mac HD in finder there is an EFI folder with refind in it but still no boot manager upon restart.

Last edited:

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Hmm that's weird - it does seem to install successfully. You don't happen to use disk encryption / File Vault do you?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Last resort is to try manual installation per these instructions - if you have an older Mac pay attention to the 32 bit vs 64 bit part. Good luck!

triplecrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Toms River, NJ
Last resort is to try manual installation per these instructions - if you have an older Mac pay attention to the 32 bit vs 64 bit part. Good luck!

I have a late 2012 27" so it would be the 64 bit I know. I just think the manual instructions might be a bit over my head just to have a boot manager. Too many "do this if" or "might not need do this if" lines for this guy. Haha. I'll have to mull it over.

----------

The guy that maintains refind frequents here from time to time. Hopefully this catches his eye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.