PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious jab at Apple

appletoandroid
May 3, 2013, 04:14 PM
http://vimeo.com/65360764

Well done imo, it's nice to see Samsung display their features to the public. Score another big win here for them.

Apollo 13
May 3, 2013, 04:20 PM
Forgot the part where its a laggy mess. HTC has a winner

MuffCabbage
May 3, 2013, 04:31 PM
Well, I gotta say they nailed the commercial.

Mirror here: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-samsung-149130

Peterg2
May 3, 2013, 04:33 PM

Well done imo, it's nice to see Samsung display their features to the public. Score another big win here for them.

I already mentioned some time ago that last year I had Samsung's top-of-the-line E8000 plasma and that had voice and gesture controls. Their current F8500 plasma which has just recently been released (and their F8000 LCD model (LED edge-lit) has more.

Unfortunately, they still do not work properly from all accounts. These features are gimmicks. Throw-it-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks. But I am sure it keeps the kids occupied for a few minutes.

Vegastouch
May 3, 2013, 04:55 PM

Cant see that video unless you sign up.

EDIT Now it says it was deleted

joshwithachance
May 3, 2013, 05:12 PM
Pretty funny commercial actually. I still prefer my HTC One though.

Kashsystems
May 3, 2013, 05:17 PM

I turned off most of those features and my phone performance improved.

Joe public will not be happy with the lag, if it wasn't for the removable back, I probably would have gotten a HTC One.

Sylon
May 3, 2013, 05:17 PM
Cant see that video unless you sign up.

EDIT Now it says it was deleted

DlXp41WwpOs

ucfgrad93
May 3, 2013, 05:21 PM
That was pretty good!:D

onthecouchagain
May 3, 2013, 05:44 PM
Can't deny it makes some of those features look -- gasp -- useful.

Giuly
May 3, 2013, 05:44 PM
I don't get it, where's the hilarious part?

snowcrash
May 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
Can't deny it makes some of those features look -- gasp -- useful.

True. I have to admit that wave to answer is a pretty useful function. I've thought of that many times while cooking in the kitchen or eating messy foods and hands are a mess and this commercial knocks that point home totally.

Sylon
May 3, 2013, 08:50 PM
I turned on Air View>Information View on my GS4 and that little bit in the video where the girl reads a text from the lock screen, that doesn't work for me. Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing for that?

EDIT: Disregard, I figured it out. There is a setting in the Messages app that you have to turn on as well.

tjl3
May 3, 2013, 09:18 PM
True. I have to admit that wave to answer is a pretty useful function. I've thought of that many times while cooking in the kitchen or eating messy foods and hands are a mess and this commercial knocks that point home totally.

I liked it, but still too long. Cut out the bit about the IR blaster (save for a later commercial), cut out S-Beam (ffs I don't think we'll ever see a GS commercial w/o this), and cut out some of the useless jokes (b/c we get it already: old people are not bright, not so bright people buy iPhone, iPhone is for old people). If I didn't know anything about the phone, I'd think it was too cluttered of a commercial.

I wonder what the kid will do after he's done eating, I bet his hands are gonna be really greasy to pick up his GS4 ;-)

Also, I didn't know the GS4 wakes up the device after receiving a text/notification! It has always bugged me that Android devices don't do give you this option.

Chodite
May 3, 2013, 09:52 PM
Also, I didn't know the GS4 wakes up the device after receiving a text/notification! It has always bugged me that Android devices don't do give you this option.

There's really no option for this? This is a top 3 annoyance for me so far since making the switch to the GS4 yesterday.

blackhand1001
May 3, 2013, 10:28 PM
I liked it, but still too long. Cut out the bit about the IR blaster (save for a later commercial), cut out S-Beam (ffs I don't think we'll ever see a GS commercial w/o this), and cut out some of the useless jokes (b/c we get it already: old people are not bright, not so bright people buy iPhone, iPhone is for old people). If I didn't know anything about the phone, I'd think it was too cluttered of a commercial.

I wonder what the kid will do after he's done eating, I bet his hands are gonna be really greasy to pick up his GS4 ;-)

The beam part where the mom tries to beam as well is the best part. They definitely should leave that part.

Zwhaler
May 4, 2013, 12:08 AM

He was referencing the iPhone 5 part of the video. I used the GS4 in the store and it was nice but nothing really blew me away, this video makes the "features" look like they work so seamlessly but in reality not all of the new features work totally on point 100% of the time. Not to say they aren't being innovative, though.

tjl3
May 4, 2013, 01:20 AM
Gonna have to eat my own words... I just saw another new Samsung commercial on youtube. 10s ad for the S4 'showing' easy mode... wtf was that?! Not what I intended when I wanted shorter ads =/

edit: hmm, just came across the 30s GS4 spots from early April. Not bad. I like these TYPES of ads, short and to the point. 2 things though: 1) this is kind of gay if you ask me: the team getting pumped up over Icona Pop; 2) how do they rationalize the ad w/ the mom using her GS4 while also releasing an ad about iPhone being for old people?

phoneguru9
May 4, 2013, 06:34 AM

Same here.....still trying to figure it out.....Slow huh!

onthecouchagain
May 4, 2013, 08:20 AM
I can't help but notice nowadays all the times I wish I could wake my phone just to see a message with a gesture. Maybe it's just one of those things that we've always wanted but never realized it was possible or thought about it in such ways until Samsung introduced Quick Glance. Maybe?

Just the other night my hands were greasy and I wanted to access my phone. Thought about Quick Glance.

Irishman
May 4, 2013, 10:00 AM

Well, they're trying really hard to make a case for their new "features". Trouble is Samsung's biggest hurdle to overcome now isn't Apple, it's professional tech reviewers who've been, by and large blah'ed by the GS4.

AutoUnion39
May 4, 2013, 11:29 AM
Lol this commercial made me laugh. I gave my iPhone5 to my dad and he loves it, but even he wants a Galaxy next. Sammy is hitting it out of the park with marketing

onthecouchagain
May 4, 2013, 11:33 AM
HTC should be way more worried about Samsung marketing. I think it's a useful tactic that Samsung doesn't even bother mentioning or references HTC in their ads.

Have they? I haven't seen one.

Poor HTC, but also not really because they got themselves into this hole. Honestly, I am enjoying my One, but the One alone cannot save them. Might give them a bottom to stop the fall, but it won't bring them back up alone. They'll have to really prove themselves with serious and timely updates...

bmac4
May 4, 2013, 12:38 PM
I find these Samsung commercials great. Iphone fans aways get their panties in a wad about them, but I have no idea why. Have you never heard of marketing before? Oh wait I forgot Apple is all class and never talks about their compotention in their ads. What about Coke and Pepsi? They have been doing this stuff for years, but because Samsung is actually starting to sell some phones and get popular. Apple guy gets mad. Cry some more please.

tjl3
May 4, 2013, 12:52 PM
I find these Samsung commercials great. Iphone fans aways get their panties in a wad about them, but I have no idea why. Have you never heard of marketing before? Oh wait I forgot Apple is all class and never talks about their compotention in their ads. What about Coke and Pepsi? They have been doing this stuff for years, but because Samsung is actually starting to sell some phones and get popular. Apple guy gets mad. Cry some more please.

I'm just surprised they're still on the same marketing campaign after a full year of it tho. The target demographic w/ their ads is surprisingly narrow, imo.

So, do you guys remember this from a couple weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cUiRThvCp8E

I just finished watching it, b/c I didn't really take the time to read the subtitles the first time around. I've always thought Apple is overly metaphoric in their spots on their products. But wtf! Besides for storybook, this did not tell us anything of substance! This guy Dongjun Shin is just high off his ass, and then this: "In Galaxy S4, the form factor was designed with a more rational approach, and the CMF was created with more emotional elements in mind... We examined everything, not overlooking even the smallest 0.01mm details." Bad translations?

bmac4
May 4, 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm just surprised they're still on the same marketing campaign after a full year of it tho. The target demographic w/ their ads is surprisingly narrow, imo.

So, do you guys remember this from a couple weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cUiRThvCp8E

I just finished watching it, b/c I didn't really take the time to read the subtitles the first time around. I've always thought Apple is overly metaphoric in their spots on their products. But wtf! Besides for storybook, this did not tell us anything of substance! This guy Dongjun Shin is just high off his ass, and then this: "In Galaxy S4, the form factor was designed with a more rational approach, and the CMF was created with more emotional elements in mind... We examined everything, not overlooking even the smallest 0.01mm details." Bad translations?

Well I think they are keeping with the same ad campaign because it is working. Look at Apple commercials. They are always the same. Just list off features of the new device. They had the "this is going to change everything" that ran forever. If it is still working why change?

onthecouchagain
May 4, 2013, 01:57 PM

I remember watching that and having to stop half way through. Nothing but fluff.

Similar to Apple's keynote video where Ivy talks about how they radically redesigned the iPhone 5 from the ground up (or something).

All bullocks.

tjl3
May 4, 2013, 03:01 PM
I remember watching that and having to stop half way through. Nothing but fluff.

Similar to Apple's keynote video where Ivy talks about how they radically redesigned the iPhone 5 from the ground up (or something).

All bullocks.

Agreed. The thing about the Apple one is that Ive gets some spotlight, since most consider him very introverted.

b166er
May 4, 2013, 08:13 PM
Samsung can give it a rest at this point I think. Virtually all of their ads are attacking the iPhone user. I think we all get it at this point, they are two very different OS's and to each their own. I think the S4 looks great, and I'm planning on picking one up next week, but these ads are kind of annoying.

The WP8 ad that's going around now sums up the whole argument perfectly!

bmac4
May 4, 2013, 09:38 PM
Samsung can give it a rest at this point I think. Virtually all of their ads are attacking the iPhone user. I think we all get it at this point, they are two very different OS's and to each their own. I think the S4 looks great, and I'm planning on picking one up next week, but these ads are kind of annoying.

The WP8 ad that's going around now sums up the whole argument perfectly!

Well just cause you think it is getting old. That does not mean everyone does. I am still entertained by them. I am sure when someone says "the next big thing is here" you know right off what product is associated with that. The only way those kinds of ads work is if they are played over and over again. Makes us remember them. Which in turn makes remember what product is trying to be sold.

skratch77
May 4, 2013, 10:03 PM
Samsung actually cut marketing spending big time this year,I think I read a 10 billion drop in marketing from what they spent last year on the gs3

Peterg2
May 4, 2013, 10:55 PM
Now and then, but not daily since it is less prominently displayed, I have a look at the various iOS, Mac etc blog articles. I do see that this thread is subject to an iOS blog article and there are over 340 posts already.

Just wondering why this thread is still here and not merged with that as is normally done.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1578377

SlCKB0Y
May 5, 2013, 04:27 AM
I liked it, but...Cut out the bit about the IR blaster...cut out..and cut out some of the useless jokes

Maybe you should produce commercials for multinational corporations?

I'm guessing he will wash his hands?

cnev3
May 5, 2013, 04:57 AM
Samsung sure likes to target Apple a lot in their campaigns.

Inferiority complex much, Samsung?

stridemat
May 5, 2013, 07:30 AM
MOD NOTE

Please direct all discussion on this topic to the front page article.

New Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad Pokes Fun at iPhone (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1578377)