PDA

View Full Version : New Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad Pokes Fun at iPhone

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
May 3, 2013, 07:58 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/03/new-samsung-galaxy-s4-ad-pokes-fun-at-iphone/)

Samsung's latest ad has made its way online (via CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582827-71/new-galaxy-s4-ad-trashes-apple-iphone-is-so-old/)), once again poking fun at Apple's iPhone in order to promote its new flagship phone, the Galaxy S4.

DlXp41WwpOs
The 93-second ad takes place at a summer pool party and has Galaxy S4 users showing off select features of their phone, like the ability to control a TV, air gestures, the camera and S Beam, which allows users to transfer content between phones by bumping them together.

Like last year's Samsung ad, which poked fun at the iPhone 5 launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/19/samsung-releases-new-galaxy-s-iii-ad-poking-fun-at-iphone-5-launch/), Samsung portrays the iPhone as uncool by having older, parent-like figures using the iPhone 5.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/iphonesamsung.png

Article Link: New Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad Pokes Fun at iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/03/new-samsung-galaxy-s4-ad-pokes-fun-at-iphone/)

Lancer
May 3, 2013, 08:01 PM
Its the whole bully attitude, if you can't be creative then pick on someone. :rolleyes:

Most reviews have not been kind to the S4.

spyguy10709
May 3, 2013, 08:02 PM
You know, you never see Apple making fun of Samsung phones or the company in their ads...
I guess it's just a good gauge of class.

EDIT - WOOSH. Sarcasm. I guess you guys never heard of it? Jesus you people are dense.

HishamAkhtar
Good ad.

All things are equal but some are more equal than others.

aDRock1154
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/03/new-samsung-galaxy-s4-ad-pokes-fun-at-iphone/)

Samsung's latest ad has made its way online (via CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582827-71/new-galaxy-s4-ad-trashes-apple-iphone-is-so-old/)), once again poking fun at Apple's iPhone in order to promote its new flagship phone, the Galaxy S4.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DlXp41WwpOs)
The 93-second ad takes place at a summer pool party and has Galaxy S4 users showing off select features of their phone, like the ability to control a TV, air gestures, the camera and S Beam, which allows users to transfer content between phones by bumping them together.

Like last year's Samsung ad, which poked fun at the iPhone 5 launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/19/samsung-releases-new-galaxy-s-iii-ad-poking-fun-at-iphone-5-launch/), Samsung portrays the iPhone as uncool by having older, parent-like figures using the iPhone 5.

Image (http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/iphonesamsung.png)

Article Link: New Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad Pokes Fun at iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/03/new-samsung-galaxy-s4-ad-pokes-fun-at-iphone/)

Those ribs didn't look half bad..

HishamAkhtar
May 3, 2013, 08:03 PM
You know, you never see Apple making fun of Samsung phones or the company in their ads...

You're joking right?

You clearly missed the "I'm a Mac" campaign.

jesusplay
May 3, 2013, 08:08 PM
innovation is dead. I have no desire to buy another phone after the iphone 5 for a while. I have LTE, I have a great camera, it's not to big. I'll be using this thing for years.

JoeyCloverfield
May 3, 2013, 08:13 PM
Why do they have to make the commercial so boring though?

Skika
May 3, 2013, 08:18 PM
The next big thing is here

Yep, it certainly is big.

mrdjroman
May 3, 2013, 08:20 PM

Yeah they never do it to Samsung, but they have done it to PC VS Mac.

komodrone
May 3, 2013, 08:21 PM
I thought of so many ways to make this ad funnier and more effective.

Karma*Police
May 3, 2013, 08:21 PM
Its the whole bully attitude, if you can't be creative then pick on someone. :rolleyes:

I don't know about bullying... Apple made fun of PCs.

As for reviews, I thought most were positive, but with reservations due to the gimmicks and cheap build quality.

One thing's for sure... When you mix Android + TouchWiz + gimmicky features + dupe features (like 2 app stores), you end up with a very steep, frustrating learning curve and a cluster F of a user experience.

mrdjroman
May 3, 2013, 08:22 PM
I hope Apple reply soon to Samsung's commercials!

But I do have to give credit to Samsung on the commercial!

tjl3
It was mildly humorous. Did it feel longer than 1:30 to anyone else? At about the 30s mark I lost all interest.

If there was one thing I didn't like about the Samsung ads it's that they always seem way too long!

Moshe1010
Android's features are cool, but the question is how productive are they on a daily basis. I prefer OS stability, cellphone material quality, and the ability to sync between my devices than sharing photos with phone touching, answering with hand waving, and turning my TV with my phone (which can be done with any DVR and an app from your cable company).

fpsBeaTt
Abject and grasping.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 08:24 PM
Yep, it certainly is big.

It's actually smaller than the S3. It just doesn't have the huge chin & forehead that all iPhones have.

Orlandoech
May 3, 2013, 08:24 PM
Android's features are cool, but the question is how productive are they on a daily basis. I prefer OS stability, cellphone material quality, and the ability to sync between my devices than sharing photos with phone touching, answering with hand waving, and turning my TV with my phone (which can be done with any DVR and an app from your cable company).

While I agree with everything you just said, Android does have perks more than that. I'm not a fan of the S4 or even S-series phones.

paul4339
May 3, 2013, 08:29 PM
that wave feature is interesting, does anyone know how you would hang up on a call? (do you wave again? or do you have to touch the device?)

Sedulous
May 3, 2013, 08:31 PM
I guess that advertisement manages to show off features and shows how lame old people are. I guess that is what Samsung thinks sells?

While I appreciate Samsung at least trying to introduce novel features, many of them seem like impractical gimmicks. For example, is it really easier to have to bump your phone into another to share a photo?

Aside from gimmicks and a dodgy camera, I have not really heard anything terrible about the GS4. Step it up Apple!

M5RahuL
May 3, 2013, 08:34 PM
that wave feature is interesting, does anyone know how you would hang up on a call? (do you wave again? or do you have to touch the device?)

I'll let ya know tomorrow :D

Sedulous

This is another thing I don't really understand... how useful is this? If you are close enough to gesture, wouldn't you also be close enough to actually touch the screen? I have heard the gestures don't work well in low light conditions. Maybe if tuned well... the motion tracking could be used like a mobile motion controller like the xbox kinect or whatever it is called. Paired with a TV, this would be a clever mobile gaming solution.

Yamcha
I thought the features look pretty darn useful. In my opinion still far ahead of iOS, of course that may change with iOS7, we'll have to see.

As far as Samsung attacking Apple, let's be fair, Apple has done this in the past with Microsoft, and nobody in the forums had an issue with it. Let's try not to be hypocrites shall we? Why was it ok for Apple to attack Microsoft?, yet when a company decides to attack Apple we get on the defensive.

I've never been the type to kiss butt of any company, If I don't like something about Apple products I don't have any issues with admitting it..

Bchagey
Two thousand Thhahhhhh splash lol

Sedulous
May 3, 2013, 08:39 PM
I thought the features look pretty darn useful. In my opinion still far ahead of iOS, of course that may change with iOS7, we'll have to see.

As far as Samsung attacking Apple, let's be fair, Apple has done this in the past with Microsoft, and nobody in the forums had an issue with it. Let's try not to be hypocrites shall we? Why was it ok for Apple to attack Microsoft?, yet when a company decides to attack Apple we get on the defensive.

I've never been the type to kiss butt of any company, If I don't like something about Apple products I don't have any issues with admitting it..

How do you see these features as useful? Holding a pointed finger at the screen to open a txt msg seems slower than actually pressing to open. I suppose if your fingers are covered with delicious BBQ sauce...

fel10
May 3, 2013, 08:43 PM

Right. Kind of like Apple did with the whole I'm a Mac vs I'm a PC ads

----------

Those are some cool features, and you Apple fanboys know that if those features were on the iPhone, you guys would be praising and kissing Apple's ass right now.

JayCee842
May 3, 2013, 08:46 PM
Lol the iPhone 5 is still better doe :D

maxosx
Having taken Apple's example & brought it up to date, this ad is hilarious.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, Apple gets to be the target.

It's just an ad, don't let it upset you ...

Mr Kram
They've been doing that forever now.

cclloyd
May 3, 2013, 08:47 PM
They're doing it wrong.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 08:47 PM
This is another thing I don't really understand... how useful is this? If you are close enough to gesture, wouldn't you also be close enough to actually touch the screen? I have heard the gestures don't work well in low light conditions. Maybe if tuned well... the motion tracking could be used like a mobile motion controller like the xbox kinect or whatever it is called. Paired with a TV, this would be a clever mobile gaming solution.

Think about cold weather. It works with gloves on. There are a lot of examples when you don't want to or can't touch a screen with your bare hands.

Apple & more specifically Jon Ive's is considering `air gestures ` for future iOS feature's. Google it.

maxosx
May 3, 2013, 08:51 PM
Those are some cool features, and you Apple fanboys know that if those features were on the iPhone, you guys would be praising and kissing Apple's ass right now.

This comment made me laugh so hard, you hit the nail on the head.

It's really great when I get to laugh. It's as though the Mac devotees believe its illegal to enjoy both phones. They're so emotionally invested they turn nasty.

WhiteIphone5
May 3, 2013, 08:54 PM
innovation is dead. I have no desire to buy another phone after the iphone 5 for a while. I have LTE, I have a great camera, it's not to big. I'll be using this thing for years.

that's what apple wants you to think.
Then Boom the new Apple iPhone 5S
and you'll be the first in line.

heyyoudvd
May 3, 2013, 08:54 PM
I like how Samsung's last batch of commercials concentrated on how 'uncool' the iPhone is because it appeals to parents, and now this new Samsung commercial is specifically about how appealing the Galaxy S4 is to parents.

kramjam
May 3, 2013, 08:55 PM
Neat video I guess, can't see myself wanting to use those gestures if I had the S4 - and a lot of people are reporting with all the TW features enabled that the phone's performance suffers compared to being off

Serelus
May 3, 2013, 08:56 PM
Think about cold weather. It works with gloves on. There are a lot of examples when you don't want to or can't touch a screen with your bare hands.

Apple & more specifically Jon Ive's is considering `air gestures ` for future iOS feature's. Google it.

All I find are blogposts stating that Apple needs to add these kind of 'usefull' features if it wants to keep up, i'd rather you just source it... because I don't recal reading anywhere Jony ive is considering this.

JAT
May 3, 2013, 08:58 PM

I am far from a Samsung apologist. I see no making fun here, they are simply pointing out new features that the iPhone doesn't have. Their previous commercials have been making fun of iPhone users, I don't think they've made fun of the iPhone or Apple yet.

Although they are wrong about the TV thing, I was controlling mine just tonight when my daughter lost the actual remote.

OTOH, air gestures are stupid. And yes, I will say that if they are in iOS7, too.

Sedulous
May 3, 2013, 08:59 PM

Chances are your phone would be in your pocket and you would have to take it out... often difficult to do with gloves on. Again, I am not saying there is no possible use for gestures, the phone bump feature, or any of the other novel things the Samsung commercial attempts to show. I can imagine with some clever refinement some of these ideas could be really neat. However, as they are now, they appear to have extremely limited value and thus I consider gimmicks.

lolkthxbai

Because they're too lazy to make it worth watching.

Karma*Police

The features look useful in a commercial? I'm shocked.

Jbrumz85
May 3, 2013, 09:01 PM
It's crazy how the S4 is getting bashed in here for all these new features that have never been on a mobile device but when apple does something that's been on androids for years all of a sudden apple did it the right way lol. All of these features can be turned off if you don't want to use them.

EeZeEpEe
May 3, 2013, 09:02 PM
How do you see these features as useful? Holding a pointed finger at the screen to open a txt msg seems slower than actually pressing to open. I suppose if your fingers are covered with delicious BBQ sauce...

In her case, she had lotion on her hands. Lots of the features aren't going to be used everyday but they can be handy on occasion.

lolkthxbai
May 3, 2013, 09:07 PM
It was mildly humorous. Did it feel longer than 1:30 to anyone else? At about the 30s mark I lost all interest.

If there was one thing I didn't like about the Samsung ads it's that they always seem way too long!
Yes! Even if they have a good point (which IMO those features shown are not dealbreakers) they can't seem to capture my attention. I watch it once just to see what it looks like and then... poof, I don't care anymore. I was basically forcing myself to watch that garbage.

----------

It's crazy how the S4 is getting bashed in here for all these new features that have never been on a mobile device but when apple does something that's been on androids for years all of a sudden apple did it the right way lol. All of these features can be turned off if you don't want to use them.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised, it's MacRumors...

And although you have a point because using those features is by choice the question becomes then, why is it worth my $500? I mean, Samsung is basically trying to justifying a phone purchase with all these features no? And if I don't want them why not buy a similar yet more affordable phone?

Prohapps
May 3, 2013, 09:09 PM
Just saying...

The answer your phone was a feature motorola phones had 8 years ago.

The NFC sharing came out with the original iPhone (it was bluetooth, but only because NFC technology was not available)

I could control most TVs with my Sony Ericsson T310 9 years ago.

A flap cover, I had that with my Palm IIIc like 15 years ago.

And all those functions worked the same way. No innovation or updates to those features from Samsung.

lolkthxbai
May 3, 2013, 09:11 PM

Yes, let us tap into Google's infinite wisdom about what Ive is certainly doing at Apple.

Prohapps
May 3, 2013, 09:12 PM
Right. Kind of like Apple did with the whole I'm a Mac vs I'm a PC ads

----------

Apple never attacked the users of Windows computers, only the actual Windows OS and it's limitations.

samcraig
May 3, 2013, 09:14 PM
Definitely a little editorial bias/link bait I think too in the article. Fact is - the iPhone is used by all demographics. It's no longer a cool/hip younger generation only. A lot of a parents and older people DO use the iPhone. And quite honestly - there are those don't know what their phone can and can't do. I'd hardly call the commercial knocking on the iPhone for being unhip or only used by older people. They've knocked the hipster before with their ads of people waiting in line.

Also - I don't see much wrong with the ad. Yes it's long, etc - but it shows some clever uses for the phone. And it's not like the entire ad or even most of it is slamming other phones (or iPhone). It's ONE element to the ad.

Mountain meet molehill.

----------

Apple never attacked the users of Windows computers, only the actual Windows OS and it's limitations.

One could argue that by doing so - they undermined the users of those devices for choosing Windows. I wouldn't argue it. But some might. And I'm not sure I would completely disagree

Prohapps
May 3, 2013, 09:14 PM
All those manufacturer wars...

All I want is any Smartphone with more BATTERY LIFE!!

Carlanga
May 3, 2013, 09:19 PM
a little too long, needed to be less than 30 secs, good features, but the ribbing makes the ad look bad IMO.

JoeIsInTheCloud
May 3, 2013, 09:19 PM
You're joking right?

I had no idea the Samsung Galaxy cellphone was a PC! Thank you for opening our eyes.

Sedulous
May 3, 2013, 09:24 PM
In her case, she had lotion on her hands. Lots of the features aren't going to be used everyday but they can be handy on occasion.

I would rather have a voice command feature to operate the phone. That way you can keep it under a towel so it doesn't overheat in the sun (cause if you got to rock that much lotion, there must be some serious sun). Gestures make sense when they relate to a remote object that is the focus of your attention (i.e. a motion controller for a game). Waving your hands in front of a screen that is less than arm-length away seems less functional. I don't want to have to focus on my phone in order to answer/interact with it. Does that make sense?

ArmCortexA8
May 3, 2013, 09:24 PM
Here we go again, Apple vs Samsung Court action still ongoing, and now Samsung is playing kiddy games aimed towards Apple. As if this is going to make Samsung look better when they are attacking another brand, which they supply components for. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Im sure the Judge in the case wont find this too amusing, and adds further ammo that Samsung are so worried about Apple, they will indirectly attack them and even their users.

daneoni
May 3, 2013, 09:28 PM
You're joking right?

Yes, it's not like Apple ever made fun of PCs or anything... Oh wait... Get your head out of your ass.

Don't exaggerate it was only a 4 year, 66 commercial campaign. /s

He said Samsung Phones or the company

wigby
May 3, 2013, 09:29 PM
Am I the only one that feels really embarrassed for Samsung watching this commercial? I know they're trying to have fun with it but it feels like they're trying so hard. I didn't understand half of the features. What did that girl do with her finger on the text and why was it so amazing to the other person? I was seriously waiting for the kid to impress his father by opening the garage door with his phone. What a mess.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 09:31 PM
All I find are blogposts stating that Apple needs to add these kind of 'usefull' features if it wants to keep up, i'd rather you just source it... because I don't recal reading anywhere Jony ive is considering this.

It was on Macrumors quoting Bloomberg article.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/apple-risking-ios-7-delays-with-jony-ives-design-overhaul/

vividmethod
May 3, 2013, 09:33 PM

You missed the part where the guys scarfind down ribs and got a his hands full of grease and sauce.

maccompatible
May 3, 2013, 09:33 PM
You're joking right?

Making fun of problems in the software is completely different than making fun of the people that USE the software.

iheartiphone4
May 3, 2013, 09:35 PM
I don't hate ads that make fun of apple but these ads are just stupid. They're not funny and it doesn't make me want to buy an s4.
A great commercial is the new Microsoft commercial making fun of both apple and samsung. It's funny and it makes me like Microsoft a little bit more. Not ready to buy a Microsoft phone but at least I'm getting closer.

MichaelJohnston
May 3, 2013, 09:36 PM
I would totally love to have those features on my iPhone. There have been plenty of times where my hands had something on them that I didn't want on my phone. The hole instant sharing of pictures thing is so awesome, too.

Good news is, it's very likely that Apple could add all of those features with a software update. Add some Bump-like technology for isnta-sharing and utilize the camera for the gesture stuff. I recall a rumor saying that Jonny Ive was directing some people to work on that sort of stuff.

Harrycooke
May 3, 2013, 09:36 PM
The SHADE of it all. No T, all SHADE.

vividmethod
May 3, 2013, 09:38 PM
Making fun of problems in the software is completely different than making fun of the people that USE the software.

Oh please. Apple has been trying to destroy its competitors through advertising since DAY ONE.

And to render your comment moot, here's another apple ad basically showing every non-apple consumer as a lemming;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYP1Tjgt1Ao

Quite the irony, no?

ArtOfWarfare
May 3, 2013, 09:38 PM

No, it's a good gauge of who has the greater marketshare. Although collectively Android is winning over iOS, Apple has nearly double Samsung's marketshare. People behind in a battle can make fun of those ahead, but those ahead shouldn't make fun back (they inadvertently give the competition more attention than the competition would get otherwise.)

Thus Apple has historically poked fun at Intel (when they used PPC) and Microsoft (when Windows was 10+x as common as OS X.)

Sedulous
May 3, 2013, 09:39 PM
You missed the part where the guys scarfind down ribs and got a his hands full of grease and sauce.

Greezy rib fingers would make it hard to operate phone with touch. I admit that. Unfortunately, I spend far too little time with hands caked with BBQ and grease.

szw-mapple fan
May 3, 2013, 09:40 PM
While I appreciate Samsung at least trying to introduce novel features, many of them seem like impractical gimmicks. For example, is it really easier to have to bump your phone into another to share a photo?

You can always use the bump app; it's far more practical.

EeZeEpEe
May 3, 2013, 09:46 PM

Bump goes through middle man service first. Not true direct phone to phone. So weak mobile data service or none isn't good.

iZac
I wonder how Scott paid for his 'new GS4' ? I bet his parents paid for it. Condescending adults is a stupid way of promoting the phone because they have far more disposable income than their teenage kids.

Also, what the hell is that flap doing hanging off the thing? Lovely.

Simplicated
that's what every company on earth wants you to think.

Fixed that for you.

Sedulous
May 3, 2013, 09:47 PM

Meh, seeking out everyone in person to share photos by bumping phones seems... like a gimmick.

komodrone
May 3, 2013, 09:50 PM

aaaaaaaand the fingerprint sensor comes out, no need for typing a 4 digit code every single damn time.
aaaaaaaand Apple figured out how to fit Lytro into a thin phone.
aaaaaaaand 6G comes out.
aaaaaaaand iWatch only syncs with iPhone 6
aaaaaaaand you can control iPhone 6 using your mind while leaving your thumb on the mind reader sensor.
aaaaaaaand iPhone 6 has a solar panel on the case that's 33.7% efficient so you'll never need to manually charge a phone again
aaaaaaaand iOS 7 runs OS11 and is only compatible with iPhone 6 and up

iZac
May 3, 2013, 09:52 PM
I would rather have a voice command feature to operate the phone. That way you can keep it under a towel so it doesn't overheat in the sun (cause if you got to rock that much lotion, there must be some serious sun). Gestures make sense when they relate to a remote object that is the focus of your attention (i.e. a motion controller for a game). Waving your hands in front of a screen that is less than arm-length away seems less functional. I don't want to have to focus on my phone in order to answer/interact with it. Does that make sense?

Yeah, they pushed the 'sticky fingers' situations to their limit. Most people do the old pinky control, or god forbid - clean their hands.

Schmitty11
May 3, 2013, 09:53 PM
You people are hysterical. You trash Samsung day in and day out, but when Samsung makes an ad poking fun of Apple you lose your minds. Grow up.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 09:57 PM
No, it's a good gauge of who has the greater marketshare. Although collectively Android is winning over iOS, Apple has nearly double Samsung's marketshare. People behind in a battle can make fun of those ahead, but those ahead shouldn't make fun back (they inadvertently give the competition more attention than the competition would get otherwise.)

Thus Apple has historically poked fun at Intel (when they used PPC) and Microsoft (when Windows was 10+x as common as OS X.)

Check your stats. You are iBlind.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1575611

jrlcopy
May 3, 2013, 10:00 PM
So when they first demoed it I couldn't figure out when I'd ever need the hover technology stuff? Answering a phone by waving, using it without touching, but those two moments, when your hands are crazy sticky, or covered in oilly stuff nailed it. Those are perfect examples that people will relate to and actually use.

Bravo ad company, bravo.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 10:03 PM
Bump goes through middle man service first. Not true direct phone to phone. So weak mobile data service or none isn't good.

In the example shown it's using NFC so it doesn't need internet data.
Try again.

lucas107
May 3, 2013, 10:04 PM

Please link one review that has been unkind to the s4

I don't know about bullying... Apple made fun of PCs.

As for reviews, I thought most were positive, but with reservations due to the gimmicks and cheap build quality.

One thing's for sure... When you mix Android + TouchWiz + gimmicky features + dupe features (like 2 app stores), you end up with a very steep, frustrating learning curve and a cluster F of a user experience.

Link anything that says cheap build quality please. Plastic does not mean cheap. Feels cheap maybe but is cheap no. Also the s4 does not have a steep learning curve its actually very easy. Easy as the iphone I would say

S4 does the remote with an IR which means you dont need to have a dvr or a network it just works with the normal IR in the tv/dvdplayer/xbox/VHS. Have all android devices and you can sync between them no problem. You can even sync it with most mac things pretty easily.

I am far from a Samsung apologist. I see no making fun here, they are simply pointing out new features that the iPhone doesn't have. Their previous commercials have been making fun of iPhone users, I don't think they've made fun of the iPhone or Apple yet.

Although they are wrong about the TV thing, I was controlling mine just tonight when my daughter lost the actual remote.

OTOH, air gestures are stupid. And yes, I will say that if they are in iOS7, too.

Again this is about the IR in the phone. The iphone does not have one so it cant control pretty much any TV or device with an IR(being pretty much all devices in your home theater)

Yes! Even if they have a good point (which IMO those features shown are not dealbreakers) they can't seem to capture my attention. I watch it once just to see what it looks like and then... poof, I don't care anymore. I was basically forcing myself to watch that garbage.

----------

I'm not sure why you would be surprised, it's MacRumors...

And although you have a point because using those features is by choice the question becomes then, why is it worth my $500? I mean, Samsung is basically trying to justifying a phone purchase with all these features no? And if I don't want them why not buy a similar yet more affordable phone?

You must not be talking about an iphone if your using the phrase more affordable

Yes, let us tap into Google's infinite wisdom about what Ive is certainly doing at Apple.

It was on MacRumors a few days ago do a search dont be lazy

All those manufacturer wars...

All I want is any Smartphone with more BATTERY LIFE!!

Get a Razor Maxx then

I never understood this. I have never had a windows problem. Nothing but smooth sailing for years and I dont even use a virus scan or anything of the sort

jm001
May 3, 2013, 10:05 PM
Chances are your phone would be in your pocket and you would have to take it out... often difficult to do with gloves on. Again, I am not saying there is no possible use for gestures, the phone bump feature, or any of the other novel things the Samsung commercial attempts to show. I can imagine with some clever refinement some of these ideas could be really neat. However, as they are now, they appear to have extremely limited value and thus I consider gimmicks.

I myself don't like to take my phone out while having dinner or a meal with friends/family. 1) kind of rude 2) you risk your phone getting damaged by spills. That's just my experience and opinion. Would it really kill you to put the phone away while eating with friends and family? Or even waiting to clean your hands before taking out your phone and just re-dialing whomever called? As for the remote, would your devices need to be Samsung as well or will the app work as a universal remote like the Harmony remotes?

lobeyonekenobi
May 3, 2013, 10:05 PM
The phone to have at the moment is the HTC One I was at the local shopping mall and played with one for a bit and was very impressed and if I was Samsung I'd worry as it looks better than the S4.

I also admit it appeals more than the iPhone 5 too, good build quality, great screen quality, if I had the money I'd snap it up just a pity it runs Android but I think I could look past that with this phone

cababah
May 3, 2013, 10:06 PM
Copycat phone makes fun of the phone they copied...wow, ok.

The S4's sheer existence is a mark of flattery toward the iPhone.

diazj3
May 3, 2013, 10:08 PM

And by that, you mean two to three years, right? That's what it takes Apple to make previous models obsolete, either by iOS version, or by forcing developers to cut development for older models.

It's sad to see the iPhone pictured as a "old people" device... but that's what market research suggests. Younger generations are going for android phones, making the iPhone no longer the cool one. I wonder what's the reason behind that...

toldaddy
May 3, 2013, 10:13 PM
The most boring quip imaginable.

Great, you paint your user base as the d-bag who answers his phone at the table, and is the dude at the party talking **** on everyone else's phone.

Charming. I must have one.

I WAS the one
May 3, 2013, 10:14 PM
They aren't making fun... They are telling the truth. The iPhone don't do those things. That doesn't means the iPhone is a bad phone it just that the Galaxy S4 do more. Anyway I keep my iPhone.

Simplicated
May 3, 2013, 10:15 PM
The phone to have at the moment is the HTC One I was at the local shopping mall and played with one for a bit and was very impressed and if I was Samsung I'd worry as it looks better than the S4.

I also admit it appeals more than the iPhone 5 too, good build quality, great screen quality, if I had the money I'd snap it up just a pity it runs Android but I think I could look past that with this phone

Same thoughts. The HTC One blows S4 out of the water in every aspect.

If I were to buy a new phone now I'd either get the HTC One or iPhone 5.

Off-topic: Let's see how many pro-Samsung trolls (employed by Samsung) are in this post.

EeZeEpEe
May 3, 2013, 10:17 PM
As for the remote, would your devices need to be Samsung as well or will the app work as a universal remote like the Harmony remotes?
Actually what they didn't show off is how the TV app works. Finding things to watch are a lot quicker and easier to find than the guide of most set top boxes.

lobeyonekenobi
May 3, 2013, 10:18 PM
Same thoughts. The HTC One blows S4 out of the water in every aspect.

If I were to buy a new phone now I'd either get the HTC One or iPhone 5.

Off-topic: Let's see how many pro-Samsung trolls (employed by Samsung) are in this post.

Agreed, sit back and enjoy the show:D

Toltepeceno
May 3, 2013, 10:19 PM

But it was OK making fun of microsoft in the justin long mac ad's? That's too funny.

EeZeEpEe
May 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
They aren't making fun... They are telling the truth. The iPhone don't do those things. That doesn't means the iPhone is a bad phone it just that the Galaxy S4 do more. Anyway I keep my iPhone.
Yeah they've toned down the making fun of compared to last year. Features, whether used everyday, once a week, or nearly never, is a big selling point for any product.

diazj3
May 3, 2013, 10:22 PM
Am I the only one that feels really embarrassed for Samsung watching this commercial? I know they're trying to have fun with it but it feels like they're trying so hard. I didn't understand half of the features. What did that girl do with her finger on the text and why was it so amazing to the other person? I was seriously waiting for the kid to impress his father by opening the garage door with his phone. What a mess.

I disagree, to me it seems they're hardly trying. The ad is lame as hell - I really doubt Samsung couldn't afford a better ad. But the phone seems awesome. Apple, by its nature, has underestimated every competitor... until they become so big that they can hardly fight them. Perhaps it's a Steve Jobs thing.

Ads are not the only feature consumer evaluate. If that was the case, Apple would've gone under a long time ago. I guess Android is here to stay.

Toltepeceno
May 3, 2013, 10:32 PM

Maybe like this?

Gesture Control
Longer term, Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands -- without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.
“If the hardware is going to stay minimalist and reduced, I would say the next step would be to look at three-dimensional interfaces,” said Ross Lovegrove, an industrial designer who has worked with such companies as Apple and Sony Corp.
For now, the priority is getting mobile software done in time for the next iPhone, due to be released as soon as September.
The rush to finish the software running on more than 500 million iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches underscores how decision-making has slowed under the current leadership team.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-01/apple-s-ive-seen-risking-ios-7-delay-on-software-overhaul-tech.html

----------

He said Samsung Phones or the company

He also said they were showing class for not doing it. So class is going after microsoft and not samsung?

----------

It was on Macrumors quoting Bloomberg article.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/apple-risking-ios-7-delays-with-jony-ives-design-overhaul/

Que the "you can't trust anything on macrumors" statements.

CEmajr
May 3, 2013, 10:33 PM
And by that, you mean two to three years, right? That's what it takes Apple to make previous models obsolete, either by iOS version, or by forcing developers to cut development for older models.

It's sad to see the iPhone pictured as a "old people" device... but that's what market research suggests. Younger generations are going for android phones, making the iPhone no longer the cool one. I wonder what's the reason behind that...

The numbers seem to show that teens and college aged people are very heavy into the iPhone. Quite the opposite.

Toltepeceno
May 3, 2013, 10:38 PM
Plastic does not mean cheap. Feels cheap maybe but is cheap no.

Wait. You mean those rifles the US (and many other countries militaries) carried since vietnam have cheap stocks? They held up well for us, I guess a cell phone takes more abuse?

EeZeEpEe
May 3, 2013, 10:39 PM
In the example shown it's using NFC so it doesn't need internet data.
Try again.

Huh? I know that. I'm saying Bump the app does. Not bumping phones with NFC needs data.

Sean4000
May 3, 2013, 10:46 PM
It's good to loosen the old collar every now and then. Good ad.

Now, The wedding commercial from Microsoft ...that was excellent!

wigby
May 3, 2013, 10:52 PM
I disagree, to me it seems they're hardly trying. The ad is lame as hell - I really doubt Samsung couldn't afford a better ad. But the phone seems awesome. Apple, by its nature, has underestimated every competitor... until they become so big that they can hardly fight them. Perhaps it's a Steve Jobs thing.

Ads are not the only feature consumer evaluate. If that was the case, Apple would've gone under a long time ago. I guess Android is here to stay.
You just said the ads were lame but the phone looks great. What are you basing your opinion on? Their weak checklist of "features" disguised as a commercial? How would the commercial look if they were trying? Like an Apple ad?

davester
May 3, 2013, 10:59 PM
Success built off theft. Not a particularly proud feat.

ArtOfWarfare
May 3, 2013, 10:59 PM

It's a matter of picking the numbers to look at. The stats you showed were worldwide for both tables, and the second table was for all mobile phones, not just smart phones (which is the only market of concern since this ad is regarding two different models of smart phone.)

Where is this ad being aired? If it's worldwide, you have me, Samsung is advertising the company that's trailing them. If it's US only, then here's the relevant data:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/03/apples-u-s-smartphone-usage-share-approaches-40/

Apple has 39% to Samsung's 21.7%. Apple's market share is 1.79x as large as Samsung's when it comes to US smartphones, which is where I got my original statistic of "nearly double".

The features all seemed very gimmicky to me. When the heck do you need air gestures? The answer: when you're eating finger food at a table (because otherwise either touching it is fine because you're using silverware, or you're not at a table and so it's impossible to hold your phone and make gestures with the other... unless you like flinging your food around.) They seem to insinuate that you can't use your phone when your hands are wet but... I use my iPhone with wet hands pretty often without issue (other than needing to wipe off the screen on my shirt when it eventually has too much water on it.)

Bump is cool, but it's on the iOS app store.

Controlling your TV? Kind of meh - I suspect that it doesn't work with most TV models or with most of the other devices in your entertainment system, given most of them probably use IR to communicate.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 11:01 PM
Huh? I know that. I'm saying Bump the app does. Not bumping phones with NFC needs data.

No. You didn't, or your post is ignorant with middleman & weak data service comment.

It's EasyPZ.

EeZeEpEe
May 3, 2013, 11:04 PM
No. You didn't, or your post is ignorant with middleman & weak data service comment.

It's EasyPZ.

Try using the "Originally posted by..." links and follow the conversation. And why is my comment about middle man ignorant? Bump is a middleman that needs data :
http://bu.mp/company/faq

lucas107
May 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
Wait. You mean those rifles the US (and many other countries militaries) carried since vietnam have cheap stocks? They held up well for us, I guess a cell phone takes more abuse?

no i was saying plastic does not mean poor quality or cheap like they say here all the time. my old gs2 which is just plastic was dropped more times then i can count and is still in great shape. plastic may feel cheaper in the hands then aluminium but it is by no means a poor material to build with

Toltepeceno
May 3, 2013, 11:24 PM
no i was saying plastic does not mean poor quality or cheap like they say here all the time. my old gs2 which is just plastic was dropped more times then i can count and is still in great shape. plastic may feel cheaper in the hands then aluminium but it is by no means a poor material to build with

I agree my friend. We have 3 t989 sgs2's that we have had since they came out over a year and a half ago and I have dropped mine many times. They all still look new, aluminum would be scratched up. An aluminum frame pistol scratches up much easier than a plastic one like a glock, even anodized aluminum scratches easily.

4TheLoveOfTech
May 3, 2013, 11:32 PM
It's a matter of picking the numbers to look at. The stats you showed were worldwide for both tables, and the second table was for all mobile phones, not just smart phones (which is the only market of concern since this ad is regarding two different models of smart phone.)

Where is this ad being aired? If it's worldwide, you have me, Samsung is advertising the company that's trailing them. If it's US only, then here's the relevant data:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/03/apples-u-s-smartphone-usage-share-approaches-40/

Apple has 39% to Samsung's 21.7%. Apple's market share is 1.79x as large as Samsung's when it comes to US smartphones, which is where I got my original statistic of "nearly double".

The features all seemed very gimmicky to me. When the heck do you need air gestures? The answer: when you're eating finger food at a table (because otherwise either touching it is fine because you're using silverware, or you're not at a table and so it's impossible to hold your phone and make gestures with the other... unless you like flinging your food around.) They seem to insinuate that you can't use your phone when your hands are wet but... I use my iPhone with wet hands pretty often without issue (other than needing to wipe off the screen on my shirt when it eventually has too much water on it.)

Bump is cool, but it's on the iOS app store.

Controlling your TV? Kind of meh - I suspect that it doesn't work with most TV models or with most of the other devices in your entertainment system, given most of them probably use IR to communicate.

Open your eyes. The post is for Worldwide Smartphone Market Share.

S4 uses IR. Check their app & other IR apps on playstore.

theanimaster
May 3, 2013, 11:40 PM
A lot of those 'air' gesture features fail to work properly. They're good for proof-of-concept and showing off, but otherwise so unreliable you won't be using them normally.

whoknows87
May 3, 2013, 11:57 PM
Truth hurts

Coming from a a former iPhone 5 owner, looking at what's out there I made the switch to Android, I'm sorry but Apple is not inventing anymore, get with the times... I couldn't a block a call or a text and there was no app for that .....:confused: no customization, screen size and iOS hmmmm

JGIGS
May 4, 2013, 12:00 AM
I think its a great ad campaign. Shows of some differentiating features from the number one phone in the market with humour and makes you think.

That being said some of the features, probably most, are more gimmicky and you won't use them and iPhone has other pros over the S4 but still a great ad!

tech4all
May 4, 2013, 12:05 AM

C5z0Ia5jDt4

I know plenty of already mentioned this to you, but it's just silly and biased so say such a thing. Apple has made fun of Microsoft with their ads all the time. And now Samsung does it, and they have no class? So by that standard you must admit that Apple themselves have no class. Do you admit to that?

Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Face it, what this ad says its true.

WeegieMac
May 4, 2013, 12:06 AM
Samsung, insulting me as a user isn't going to make me want to switch to your product. Your ads aren't fun, like the I'm a Mac ones were, they're obnoxious and stereotyping.

tech4all
May 4, 2013, 12:06 AM
Sh~t, I had no idea the Samsung Galaxy cellphone was a PC! Thank you for opening our eyes.

Yea you missed the point...:rolleyes:

Samsung, insulting me as a user isn't going to make me want to switch to your product. Your ads aren't fun, like the I'm a Mac ones were, they're obnoxious and stereotyping.

These aren't insulting, they're saying facts. If you take than as an insult, then that's on you.

iPhone boys just getting all pissy cause it's "Samsung" and they've made of Papa Apple and it's iPhone.

roadie.f
May 4, 2013, 12:08 AM

they did put in some sort of eye candy in strategic intervals to keep it interesting...

WeegieMac
May 4, 2013, 12:11 AM
Yea you missed the point...:rolleyes:

These aren't insulting, they're saying facts. If you take than as an insult, then that's on you.

iPhone boys just getting all pissy cause it's "Samsung" and they've made of Papa Apple and it's iPhone.

You don't win over users by insulting them. People keep bringing up the I'm a Mac ads in some kind of retort to this, but these people don't realise PC was the star of those ads, they were light hearted and humorous.

Samsung has a history of belittling and stereotyping in its ads, and all I see is a company relying on comparing itself to another company's product to sell its own product, rather than try to sell it to us on its own merits.

bassfingers
May 4, 2013, 12:18 AM
Useless features nobody will use.

But maybe useless gimmicks are the future. I might consider making refrigerators with temperature settings you can adjust from pay phones

Zachari
May 4, 2013, 12:20 AM
Yes, it's not like Apple ever made fun of PCs or anything... Oh wait... Get your head out of your ass.

There is a big difference between making fun of other products, and making fun of the users. If anyone's head needs to get out of an ass.. It's yours. Be nice.

diazj3
May 4, 2013, 12:25 AM
You just said the ads were lame but the phone looks great. What are you basing your opinion on? Their weak checklist of "features" disguised as a commercial? How would the commercial look if they were trying? Like an Apple ad?

On the phone itself.

No. I'm saying that TV ads are not that relevant these days. Both Samsung and Apple ads are quite lame, but expert reviews, peer recommendation, price, and other marketing tools are more effective.

Cheers!

nutmac
May 4, 2013, 12:26 AM

True but the ad is clearly targeted at Samsung fans (and would be fans) that are more obsessed with spec sheets than user experience.

H2SO4
May 4, 2013, 12:46 AM
I ilke this ad. It ain't gonna make me buy an S4 or any other Samsung for that matter but the ad is good.

gooddog
May 4, 2013, 12:52 AM

I love Apple and have many of their products. I have a little stock too.
I refuse to buy anything Windoze. BUT ...
When I see these adds, my first gut feeling is: "What the he11 is Apple waiting for?" I saw a phone with two strong stereo speakers; one at each end. They fire forward for video watching/hearing. We still have a stupid downward sound stream and have to cup our &#&$&%& 'ng hand around the bottom of the phone to redirect the sound forward. I have complained about this many times. Apple is too minimalist to remedy this stupidity. I'll bet that stereo phone doesn't have any trouble with volume when used on a busy street sidewalk. Many of the jabs at Apple are perfectly well delivered. When will we be able to put our own images on folders so that we don't have to read the tiny print under the stupid things ? And that goes for OSX as well. There was an app (iCoco) that ran under Rosetta and let you make manila folder icons with your own translucent jpeg on it. You could identify each folder instantly without captions. GONE! Is it in Lion? Nahhh. Is it in iOS? Nahhh . There are millions of improvements waiting to be made while Apple busies itself with training us to give up desktops and point with our fat fingers. Why the *&$*&#*#& not a *&(#(*#ng stylus on the iPad so we can use the paint apps with precision ???!!!! Have you ever tried to paint with the current types of iPad stylus ? Its like drawing with the eraser end of a pencil :( !!!! POS !!!! POS !!!! POS !!!! GET OFF THE CAN APPLE !!!!

And I can't wait for Yve to drain all the blood out of the iOS interface and stick us with a piece of veal for a gui.

BTW ... SMART TV OPPORTUNITY IS SLAMMING SHUT ON OUR SNAIL !!!!!

H2SO4
May 4, 2013, 12:54 AM
I agree my friend. We have 3 t989 sgs2's that we have had since they came out over a year and a half ago and I have dropped mine many times. They all still look new, aluminum would be scratched up. An aluminum frame pistol scratches up much easier than a plastic one like a glock, even anodized aluminum scratches easily.

That doesn't mean the quality is any better.
I'm exaggerating of course but would you prefer a well made leather chair or a badly made plastic one that lasted longer?
On the whole, from a perspective of how well something is fabricated Apple products are in a class above the competition regardless of what each might be made from.

In general I'd much rather take extra care over my anodized aluminim or glass product than have a horrid plastic thingy.

Applefanboy8153
May 4, 2013, 12:56 AM
So that's what they are driving at a stupid air wave or something? Big deal even sony phones have that. Infact the air touch in sony fones is awesome that you can play angry birds with it!
Also the camera in the iPhone is way...way better than a crappy samsung one even though the MP difference is quite obvious! This is because the iSight cam allows almost 500% more light to enter giving pictures a touch of reality!!

H2SO4
May 4, 2013, 12:59 AM

I love Apple and have many of their products. I have a little stock too.
I refuse to buy anything Windoze. BUT ...
When I see these adds, my first gut feeling is: "What the he11 is Apple waiting for?" I saw a phone with two strong stereo speakers; one at each end. They fire forward for video watching/hearing. We still have a stupid downward sound stream and have to cup our &#&$&%& 'ng hand around the bottom of the phone to redirect the sound forward. I have complained about this many times. Apple is too minimalist to remedy this stupidity. I'll bet that stereo phone doesn't have any trouble with volume when used on a busy street sidewalk. Many of the jabs at Apple are perfectly well delivered. When will we be able to put our own images on folders so that we don't have to read the tiny print under the stupid things ? And that goes for OSX as well. There was an app (iCoco) that ran under Rosetta and let you make manila folder icons with your own translucent jpeg on it. You could identify each folder instantly without captions. GONE! Is it in Lion? Nahhh. Is it in iOS? Nahhh . There are millions of improvements waiting to be made while Apple busies itself with training us to give up desktops and point with our fat fingers. Why the *&$*&#*#& not a *&(#(*#ng stylus on the iPad so we can use the paint apps with precision ???!!!! Have you ever tried to paint with the current types of iPad stylus ? Its like drawing with the eraser end of a pencil :( !!!! POS !!!! POS !!!! POS !!!! GET OFF THE CAN APPLE !!!!

And I can't wait for Yve to drain all the blood out of the iOS interface and stick us with a piece of veal for a gui.

BTW ... SMART TV OPPORTUNITY IS SLAMMING SHUT ON OUR SNAIL !!!!!
You SAW a phone with great sound, heard a phone with a great display too did you?
Just bustin your balls but really I'm wondering about the OSX folder thing. Why not just copy and paste to the icon in the get info window?

thasan
May 4, 2013, 01:02 AM
You don't win over users by insulting them. People keep bringing up the I'm a Mac ads in some kind of retort to this, but these people don't realise PC was the star of those ads, they were light hearted and humorous.

Samsung has a history of belittling and stereotyping in its ads, and all I see is a company relying on comparing itself to another company's product to sell its own product, rather than try to sell it to us on its own merits.

of course...cause they copy :p

sinned72
May 4, 2013, 01:05 AM
So this is semantics, really, but here goes anyways:

Apple's 'attack' ads versus the PC are not targeting Microsoft for the most part, they are targeting the Personal Computer market that decided in the 80s that Macs were not Personal Computers for some reason. The exception to the Microsoft attacking was Vista which did get 'attacked' by Apple (and pretty much every vendor on the planet including the PC vendors who offered to sell you XP instead.)

Having said that, the Samsung ad is not really that much of an attack ad against Apple and does more to paint Samsung as a bit childish to compare themselves to other phones the way they do. They would be more effective at having the Wow factor by selling people on their features alone without the attempts of subversion. (side note, the I'm a Mac campaign was all done as comedy and in a lighthearted way, this seems more light hearted than the prior Samsung commercial but I am not smiling at the puns or wry amusement they way I did with the I'm A Mac.)

On a different note, I read through the thread as a whole, in order, and I will say that when I read posts about Bump I followed it and understood the it was meaning the app. This was mostly because of the punctuation/capitalization however I can somewhat understand the dilemma created, but the counter arguments I read used a far more extreme tone than would make sense as the statement could be interpreted differently by different people. Think of it how not all math problems have a single answer (think more complicated setups that involve multiple operations - if you are on Facebook for any amount you have seen them and most of the time there are at least two right answers, sometimes more.)

ramm24
May 4, 2013, 01:12 AM

Ummm.. Because this an apple forum?? You should go to android forum to read those kind of comments.

ninadpchaudhari
May 4, 2013, 01:14 AM
It's said , great people don't do different things but do things differently !

Samsung phones just does many many different things ... While apple does things differently !

Remember The Samsung executive mentioning that apple things work awesomely together ! Though the iCloud is not a different thing, it does the cloud thing differently ....

Also certainly the Guy who was amazed by the TV thing never knew about the Apple TV

thedeejay
May 4, 2013, 01:17 AM
This might be the phone that finally will make me switch from iPhone to Samsung. Good job Samsung. You have done the unthinkable

majkom
May 4, 2013, 01:19 AM
I don't hate ads that make fun of apple but these ads are just stupid. They're not funny and it doesn't make me want to buy an s4.
A great commercial is the new Microsoft commercial making fun of both apple and samsung. It's funny and it makes me like Microsoft a little bit more. Not ready to buy a Microsoft phone but at least I'm getting closer.

This! Samsung ads are stupid and boring. If you want to make funny and viral one, hire agency that made last lumia ad. But thats samsung, they absolutely have no taste...

Lancer
May 4, 2013, 01:20 AM
Wow you can control a Samsung TV with the S4, um hasn't there been a app for that on the iPhone to control some smart TVs?

VladM
May 4, 2013, 01:26 AM

Yeah, Apple never aired ads making fun of competitors.

Lancer
May 4, 2013, 01:36 AM
Please link one review that has been unkind to the s4.

I just remember some early reviews last week that said the S4 was good but not great calling things like the above screen 'touch' as more of a gimmick and unreliable.

I can see it being useful if you're eating ribs but hey if I've eating ribs my iPhone is more likely to be in my pocket than in the table near sticky ribs.

mrmini78
May 4, 2013, 01:39 AM
You're joking right?

They did not mention brand names in those ads, they were picking on PC's in general. Samsung is directly attacking Apple.

macs4nw
May 4, 2013, 01:45 AM

There must've been a little sarcasm in your post because the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads, were certainly very similar in tone to this ad, ie the bumbling buffoonery of the Pc guy vs the smooth, cool demeanor of Mac's Justin Long. True, those ads weren't 'making fun of SAMSUNG phones or the company', but in their gist, they were of a very similar nature. As much as I love APPLE products, let's call a spade, a spade.

Most companies like to highlight their products in a favorite light compared to their competitor's offerings. Providing they stick to the truth, and don't make it personal, there's nothing wrong with that. Most people make up their own mind, one way or the other.

hirshnoc
May 4, 2013, 01:49 AM
Introducing a new and improved way to look stupid. Wave your hand over a call to answer it. Point at your phone to view a text message. Have phone coitus to share photos. Sounds awesome.

DrewJM
May 4, 2013, 01:51 AM
So bored of the iPhone. This actually makes me want to jump ship.....

ipedro
May 4, 2013, 02:05 AM
As much as I'm an iPhone fan and dislike Samsung, I have to admit that this is an effective ad. It shows off strengths that although gimmicky, play well to the "oh cool!" factor while making iPhone look lacking.

iOS7 really needs to refresh iPhone's image and introduce some desperately needed novelty and innovation. We know that Apple is capable of innovating, but it's very telling that one must strain their memory to recall when Apple was innovating faster than its competitors could catch up, had an apparent insurmountable lead and iPhone killer was used year after year with no bite.

mrsir2009
May 4, 2013, 02:12 AM
You're joking right?

I haven't watched all of those ads, but the difference seemed to be that the "I'm a Mac" ads were quite vague when making fun of the competition. I mean, they were making fun of "PCs", which are pretty much every computer on the planet. Brands were seldom mentioned, and certainly not models.

Samsung, however, is making fun of an Apple iPhone 5. That's a much more direct hit. It's not like they were making fun of other, unspecified smartphones... They were making fun of Apple and one of their products directly.

Not saying that it was ok for Apple to have made fun, but their way seemed less direct.

inscrewtable
The ad makes Americans appear vacant and as thick as two planks. It about as classy as the cheap plastic backs. A throwback to the 80's. It's an ad that would only interest those who would have bought a samsung anyway as for iPhone owners they have already made the choice of a quality life affirming object

Lancer

Here's something to think about first.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/05/02/samsung-galaxy-s4-storage-capacity-annoyance-and-dishonour/

Long story short the S4 uses around 8Gb for it's OS and apps the iPhone uses only 4Gb. So get the base model S4 and you have only 8Gb of storage.

inscrewtable
May 4, 2013, 02:18 AM
I might consider making refrigerators with temperature settings you can adjust from pay phones

Call me when you start making refrigeroasters.

elppa
May 4, 2013, 02:29 AM

Couldn't agree more. Get a Mac was for the most part charming and funny. You can't compare this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbD6PVD6Tc) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9Si26QWko) with the Samsung commerical. They are completely different styles.

praterkeith
May 4, 2013, 02:31 AM
Apple should respond by posting sales numbers.

szw-mapple fan
May 4, 2013, 02:38 AM

Yeah but you have to have NFC for that to work so…:rolleyes:

----------

Meh, seeking out everyone in person to share photos by bumping phones seems... like a gimmick.

Yeah, sort of. In Japan most cell phones can send eachother data through IR (Infrared) and that is more convinient that emailing every thing and it doesn't cost anything(like NFC).

the8thark
May 4, 2013, 02:39 AM

Nope I'd be mad. Saying "comeon Apple you can do better then this ****"

kaielement
May 4, 2013, 02:49 AM
Sad thing is most people won't use half the futures on the s4 because they won't know how to use them or that they even know they exist which is sad. I work for Best Buy Mobile and its sad to see how many people buy phones like this and never learn how to use them much past texting, calling, and maybe Facebook. Is it just me or are we booming lazy as a society? lol........

irnchriz
May 4, 2013, 02:54 AM
Here's something to think about first.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/05/02/samsung-galaxy-s4-storage-capacity-annoyance-and-dishonour/

Long story short the S4 uses around 8Gb for it's OS and apps the iPhone uses only 4Gb. So get the base model S4 and you have only 8Gb of storage.

I don't know how the S4 handles storage but the 8GB free is a non issue because it can take a MicroSD card to expand it, and those only cost a couple of quid these days.

Not that I would ever buy an Android device.

Edit:
Hmm, on further reading it appears that you can only store apps on the internal storage so you would be stuck with only 8GB for apps. That's pretty weak.

ikir
May 4, 2013, 02:55 AM
You're joking right?

It was different. The ads were cool, didn't compare a specific brand, their mission was essentially destroy stupid ideas PC users have like "Mac had no Office" "Mac is incompatible"...

Samsung is really a brand without style, their marketing heads have serious complex with Apple, and these ads are very stupid especially the parents one. The only users I know using Samsung Galaxy are usually the tech retarded and old users and sometime the ultra nerd android evangelist. No one will use these air gestures or care about if their patents have iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia or Samsung Galaxy. The important things are stability, updates, security, easy to use and learn OS, integration: and Ape wins. Samsung could do great ad for its hardware but instead...

Mrjoedot
May 4, 2013, 03:02 AM
That's smart......insulting competitor users.

upthetoffees
May 4, 2013, 03:12 AM
I'm all for competition but that ad was terrible, so bored I had to stop it. That looked like the lamest party I have ever seen.

xmichaelp
May 4, 2013, 03:19 AM
I can't believe Samsung seriously thinks people care about these gimmicky features. This company is so trashy, wouldn't mind seeing them go out of business at all.

fullauto
May 4, 2013, 03:25 AM

Sadly, I had the same feeling :(

12 more months.. if the iP6 doesn't offer a bigger screen I'll seriously consider it.

Lancer
May 4, 2013, 03:27 AM
Apple currently has twice the market share for the iPhone over Samsung.

unlinked
May 4, 2013, 03:28 AM
That's smart......insulting competitor users.

Where do they insult iPhone users? Apart from the smell bit at the beginning I don't see any. Some age stereotyping but the mum clearly gets the smell joke.

Nimrad
May 4, 2013, 03:30 AM
This is a really risky game Samsung is playing. Research show that bashing the competitor in commercials is extremely risky. I, personally like Apple's new commercial a loooot more. And I would have if it was a Samsung ad and Apple made this one bashing Samsung.

The new Apple ad appeals to feelings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCMLaz1yhok

fullauto
May 4, 2013, 03:33 AM

QFT. I wouldn't see half the Samsung news or care about the S3, S4 or Surface if it wasn't for MacRumors..

Is MacRumors secretly owned by Samsung? :eek:

:p

Ubuntu
May 4, 2013, 03:45 AM

But they did the whole "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" campaign, which pretty much involved them making fun of PCs. Of course, not aimed at a specific company but still. This advert isn't actually that bad imo. It shows off some fairly decent uses of the otherwise-gimmicky air gesture features and the iPhone bashing is kept a to a minimum (rather than bashing the actual users like they did in the other adverts).

Winni
May 4, 2013, 04:07 AM

No, Apple only did this with IBM and Microsoft and the entire PC and tablet and smartphone industry...

ryansimmons323
May 4, 2013, 04:38 AM
Stupid gimmicks masked as innovation!!!

sasza
May 4, 2013, 04:49 AM
Does S4 run Safari? No? Then it's not for me. I like things running snappier :D

GWIM2
May 4, 2013, 04:54 AM
I'm not even interested enough to watch the advert. :rolleyes:

Got an iPhone, works seamlessly with all my other iEcosystem. Don't own anything made by Samsung, but might have to check my £50 microwave in case I'm lying ...

Added later...

Microwave is not Samsung, but someone pointed out they make components for the iPhone anyway ...

Switchback666
May 4, 2013, 04:58 AM
Classic friday/weekend article MR :rolleyes:

----------

I'm not even interested enough to watch the advert. :rolleyes:

Got an iPhone, works seamlessly with all my other iEcosystem. Don't own anything made by Samsung, but might have to check my £50 microwave in case I'm not lying ...

Might want to check your apple products, legend tells samsung parts were used to build some.

inselstudent
May 4, 2013, 04:59 AM
Can't deny the gs4 comes with more features than the iPhone, but somehow I doubt the usability of most of them. On the other hand, since Samsung seems to have a hard time shining on the hardware side, so they obviously point out what they think is better software-wise. Too bad it's still Android underneath.

Chaos123x
May 4, 2013, 05:14 AM
I think the commercial is focusing way too much on gimmicky features. Most reviews say all those new features are not working 100% or just are plain annoying.

They should of just focused on "hey we have gigantic screen". Oh well.

Good thing Apple has some real competition finally though.

Teste
May 4, 2013, 05:22 AM
I think the commercial is focusing way too much on gimmicky features. Most reviews say all those new features are not working 100% or just are plain annoying

Just like Siri, iCloud, the Maps app and etc, then?

tann
May 4, 2013, 05:35 AM
I think it is a good, but a bit long advert. The bit in the middle where the woman clearly holds up an iPhone to try and share the pictures is unnecessary, at least the way they portrayed it.

I think the feature set they showed off (air gesture and TV control) will be enough to get people interested in finding out more.

cdmoore74
May 4, 2013, 05:38 AM

These are not Android features; these are Samsung features. If the S4 had stock Android this commercial would not be possible. If you were to load stock Android you lose almost every special function. But some want a pure experience which is possible with a unlocked bootloader. But for me just losing the IR remote would keep me glued to a touchwiz rom. This is the issue I have with my Note 2. I can load the latest version of Android but S-Note will not work. Pen still works but not the Samsung apps.
Can't wait until someone figures out how to properly dual boot roms on Android phones.

suniil
May 4, 2013, 05:42 AM
Very true indeed, that was unnecessary. Yes, air gestures appears to be interesting in practical life. But Macrumors website!! Samsung ads are all over the place, also a bit of google as well. I'm sure the owners of Macrumors secretly loves Samsung a lot!

The bit in the middle where the woman clearly holds up an iPhone to try and share the pictures is unnecessary

millar876
May 4, 2013, 05:45 AM
well i cam use my iPhone 5 to bump photos to my brother in laws S3 using the bump app, i can control all the features of my LG 3D art Tv with Lgs free remote app, control myxbox with the smart glass app, control youtude from my iPhone, use my iPhone as a keyboard, touch pad, plex remote, and iTunes remote and I'm never really dirty enough that there isn't a clean knuckle or something that i can't use to answer a caller text, and siri actually works for me. I've tried s-voice, disaster imo

genovelle
May 4, 2013, 05:47 AM
I hope Apple reply soon to Samsung's commercials!

But I do have to give credit to Samsung on the commercial!

If only the some of the features weren't available on all Apple device via the App Store for two years.

cdmoore74
May 4, 2013, 05:56 AM
Wow you can control a Samsung TV with the S4, um hasn't there been a app for that on the iPhone to control some smart TVs?

The S4 and HTC one has built in IR ports. With the iphone you need a external dongle or blue tooth. By this time next year android should have some pretty powerful IR learning apps.

----------

well i cam use my iPhone 5 to bump photos to my brother in laws S3 using the bump app, i can control all the features of my LG 3D art Tv with Lgs free remote app, control myxbox with the smart glass app, control youtude from my iPhone, use my iPhone as a keyboard, touch pad, plex remote, and iTunes remote and I'm never really dirty enough that there isn't a clean knuckle or something that i can't use to answer a caller text, and siri actually works for me. I've tried s-voice, disaster imo

You can control "some" appliances with the iphone but you need more than one app and the manufacturer has to be on board. A huge percentage of appliances still use IR.
I do agree with your S-voice comment; I only use Google now. S-voice has been stripped from my custom Note 2 Rom.

Lancer
May 4, 2013, 05:56 AM
The S4 and HTC one has built in IR ports. With the iphone you need a external dongle or blue tooth. By this time next year android should have some pretty powerful IR learning apps.

IR is old tech, devices should have BT or use WiFi to communicate. I don't see Apple adding IR now.

iapplelove
May 4, 2013, 06:05 AM

lol this is pretty much exactly what i said during dinner the other night.

Rogifan
May 4, 2013, 06:06 AM
Wouldn't Samsung be cooler if they just ignored Apple all together? I mean its not like Samsung is Mac and Apple is PC in terms of marketshare.

Are there any iPhone or iPad commercials that directly criticize a competitor?

cdmoore74
May 4, 2013, 06:11 AM
IR is old tech, devices should have BT or use WiFi to communicate. I don't see Apple adding IR now.

Exactly; old and cheap tech that is still used in a vast majority of appliances. You "should" use BT or wifi but tell that to the many people not willing to upgrade or to the manufacturers of these devices. My $1000 projector still uses IR. I haven't seen budget home theater projectors use BT or wifi. And yes; Apple will never include a IR receiver.

Rogifan
May 4, 2013, 06:13 AM
But they did the whole "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" campaign, which pretty much involved them making fun of PCs. Of course, not aimed at a specific company but still. This advert isn't actually that bad imo. It shows off some fairly decent uses of the otherwise-gimmicky air gesture features and the iPhone bashing is kept a to a minimum (rather than bashing the actual users like they did in the other adverts).

Difference is what was the market share of Mac vs PC? If Samsung was some scrappy upstart or had really low market share I could maybe understand them poking fun at a competitor this way. But they're not. They sell more phones than any other company in the world. So wouldn't it make sense for them to just ignore Apple all together?

iKane
May 4, 2013, 06:14 AM
Call that a party?

samcraig
May 4, 2013, 06:19 AM
The responses to his ad are funny! Some people are either projecting and/or have some other serious issues.

How is it insulting customers to state that another phone doesn't have a feature. Are some people so wound up because of their previous ad of hipsters waiting in line who were made to look silly for doing so?

This ad alone doesn't make fun of customers of any phone. It positions the S4 as having features other phones (not just he iPhone) doesn't. End of story.

If you - or others - feel that's insulting to you (or others) - all I can say is wow.

Shaun, UK
May 4, 2013, 06:21 AM
Not bothered about the commercial but I like some of the features they showed off like swipe to answer.

I've noticed a lot of people walking around with these Galaxy phones over the past year or so. I just hope Apple have a bigger screen option iPhone 6 in the works for next year.

zachlegomaniac
May 4, 2013, 06:31 AM
Who cares? I'd rather have someone competing against apple than not.;)

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 06:41 AM

And the entire buying public buys products not because they are the best for their needs, but instead, because they think that one or another of the megacorporations who make them have "class".

Keep it classy, Apple! That is all that is necessary in order to dominate!

/s

prowlmedia
May 4, 2013, 06:42 AM

IR is pointless on a phone. I have the new Logitech Harmony Ultimate + 2 more repeaters round the house.

I can use the app to start anything. control the lights / blinds open the garage etc.

All the new TV's and AVRs have Wireless / bluetooth 4 controllers now.

This ad is typical Samsung crap. As pointed out in most of the reviews half that stuff doesn't work! Or worse works when you don't want it to.

And yet another Ad that is basically old and stupid if you own anything other than a samsung. 'Bully' advertising is terrible and just puts peoples backs up.

That one from last with the Queue of people waiting the iphone was the same and scored terribly with the public and actually made watchers feel stupid/angry. But Samsung will never learn. Did that NY launch teach them nothing...

samcraig
May 4, 2013, 06:56 AM
Pointless for YOU.

No - not all new TVs have wireless/bluetooth. Not by a longshot.

There's nothing bullying about this ad. Why do you feel anyone is being victimized? Because a character in a commercial stated that another person's phone doesn't have a feature.

Apple advertises that they only have Siri. That's accurate. So was Samsung's statement. Apple states that Android is fragmented. Is that bullying? Is that insulting customers?

IR is pointless on a phone. I have the new Logitech Harmony Ultimate + 2 more repeaters round the house.

I can use the app to start anything. control the lights / blinds open the garage etc.

All the new TV's and AVRs have Wireless / bluetooth 4 controllers now.

This ad is typical Samsung crap. As pointed out in most of the reviews half that stuff doesn't work! Or worse works when you don't want it to.

And yet another Ad that is basically old and stupid if you own anything other than a samsung. 'Bully' advertising is terrible and just puts peoples backs up.

That one from last with the Queue of people waiting the iphone was the same and scored terribly with the public and actually made watchers feel stupid/angry. But Samsung will never learn. Did that NY launch teach them nothing...

----------

This is a really risky game Samsung is playing. Research show that bashing the competitor in commercials is extremely risky. I, personally like Apple's new commercial a loooot more. And I would have if it was a Samsung ad and Apple made this one bashing Samsung.

The new Apple ad appeals to feelings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCMLaz1yhok

One of the biggest complaints against phones that have Android is that the ads never showed off what the phone could do - they were all robots, futuristic, etc ads that did nothing to sell the phone other than to say "wow - look at this phone."

I give credit to Samsung for showing what the phone can do - and not just with a spec sheet - but real world use cases.

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 07:07 AM
Oh please. Apple has been trying to destroy its competitors through advertising since DAY ONE.

And to render your comment moot, here's another apple ad basically showing every non-apple consumer as a lemming;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYP1Tjgt1Ao

Quite the irony, no?

The very first Mac ad, the 1984 ad, did the same thing. Apple has a long history of bashing their more successful competitors and painting themselves as the scrappy little underdog.

For most of Apple's history, that was the prevailing meme. Once Apple finally made a popular product, the iPod, things changed. At that point, the meme became "Apple is good because so many people buy it".

They are still riding the "we're so popular" wave, most recently with their "Billions of apps downloaded" promotion of the iStore.

At what point will Apple have lost so much marketshare that they will be forced to go back to their "The few, the proud" shtick?

----------

C'mon. Windows is STILL 10x (+/-) as popular as OSX. Nothing has changed there.

Mrjoedot
May 4, 2013, 07:17 AM
as if ppl are actually going to use all those features, on daily basis, even those exisiting on S3 or Note II, I do not actually see any actual users use those features.
I have to admit that not all features are widely used on iPhone as well
buttom line is that Apple smartphone and Samsung smartphone are equally the same

Burger Thing
May 4, 2013, 07:17 AM
Samsung essentially took the S3, upgraded the internals to the latest standard, which everybody was expecting. The design of the phone is , let's face it, downright boring. It doesn't stir any emotions whatsoever.

So they stuffed it with useless gimmicks, which will hardly be used in real world. In fact, the make the OS bloated and slow. With all the processing power it considerable more laggy than, for example, a HTC One.
No wonder Samsung paid students in Taiwan to bash HTC products in public forums. :rolleyes:

Classy, they are not. This ad is another example of Samsung's Modus Operandi

On top of that they introduce this boring rehash around the world in ridiculous shows, like in US -or lately- in India, where the journalist attending the S4 introduction where almost to embarrassed to applaud to what was presented to them.

But the big a$$ Samsung marketing machine is running and they will find enough SSheep to follow their quest. There are plenty of them in this very forum already.

I certainly don't view my Samsung Note through pink glasses. Sometimes to switch apps takes aaaaages, especially the gallery app has become slow and useless. Well, at least with the latest upgrade to JB it won't crash that often anymore and I have to reboot it only once a week. :rolleyes:

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 07:21 AM

Suspect again (or guess again) that it works perfectly well with most TV models and with most other devices. Because the S4 uses IR to communicate.

That is one of the things that killed me when I switched to an iPhone. I was used to my old Palm devices, including my Treo, doubling as a TV remote control. I liked my 3GS for about a day and a half, until those sorts of deficiencies started to show up with increasing regularity. I'm glad to see phones are now going back to having an IR capability.

SeniorGato1
May 4, 2013, 07:22 AM
My 70 year old mom loves her iPhone

Mactendo
May 4, 2013, 07:28 AM
Control TV... accept call when your hands are greasy after eating fat turkey... and 'bump' when you're not smart enough to mail a picture and close enough (0,09% of all cases) to another person with the same phone and issues... In fact these are the features for the older parent-like figures.

E.Lizardo
May 4, 2013, 07:30 AM
An entire ad with zero features I would ever use.

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 07:32 AM
There is a big difference between making fun of other products, and making fun of the users. If anyone's head needs to get out of an ass.. It's yours. Be nice.

PC users are Lemmings. They are so faceless and compliant that they do just what they are told, with fatal consequences. That much has been established.

vic64
May 4, 2013, 07:38 AM

Probably more than her kids. :)

decafjava
May 4, 2013, 07:45 AM
Yeah they never do it to Samsung, but they have done it to PC VS Mac.

Well I never liked the Mac vs. PC commercials although to be fair these were more about the platform while the Samsung ads mock users directly.

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 07:59 AM

Add a 32 gig SD card for $20. Problem solved.

----------

Hmm, on further reading it appears that you can only store apps on the internal storage

That is incorrect.

lucas107
May 4, 2013, 08:02 AM
If only the some of the features weren't available on all Apple device via the App Store for two years.

similar but not nearly as good. bump uses network. as does all the remote apps. while sbeam uses nfc and the remote uses an actual IR.

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 08:15 AM
The only users I know using Samsung Galaxy are usually the tech retarded and old users and sometime the ultra nerd android evangelist.

"As of January 13, 2013, the combined total sales of the Samsung Galaxy S, SII, and SIII have surpassed 100,000,000."

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/01/14/while-samsung-galaxy-s-sales-soar-past-40m-apple-cuts-iphone-orders/

So much for your sweeping awareness of the market. Do the users you know comprise more than .00000000001% of the market?

Maybe .00000000002%? At most?

----------

12 more months.. if the iP6 doesn't offer a bigger screen I'll seriously consider it.

Simply use a magnifying glass. Problem solved.

Meanwhile, those of us who do not have hands the size of dinner plates like the fact that the screen on the iPhone is the perfect size and that we do not need to wear clown pants to fit the phone in our pockets. The vast majority of people do not want a big screen, or, at least, they won't know that they want a big screen until Apple tells them that they do.

/s

----------

They should of just focused on "hey we have gigantic screen". Oh well.

But everybody already knows that the iPhone has a tiny screen compared with normal cellphones.

mdelvecchio
May 4, 2013, 08:27 AM

what on earth are you talking about? "PC" was not Microsoft nor named makers HP, Dell, etc... it was just a generic PC and never attributed to being any one.

iGrip
May 4, 2013, 08:27 AM

My neighbor's son has Down's syndrome and he can use his iPhone perfectly well.

mdelvecchio
May 4, 2013, 08:28 AM
You're joking right?

oh? and which company's product was named in those ads? Microsoft? Dell? HP? the PC guy represented the entire PC experience, not one maker's.

squeeks
May 4, 2013, 08:31 AM
Back on topic...

Anyone seen this new Nokia commercial? Makes fun of the Apple Samsung battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-U4Yr9UNBo

KALLT
May 4, 2013, 08:43 AM
Of course Samsung would have to pretend that the gap between the S4 and the iPhone 5 is larger than it actually is, while the opposite is true. You may argue that the S4 is superior in terms of hardware and software, as iOS could have gotten some more love recently, but apart from that I think we have reached a bit of a stalemate when it comes to new features. Air gestures and bump-to-share are not going to persuade me to buy another expensive phone anytime soon, neither did the iPhone 5 and iOS 6.

It reminds me of the time when phones were distinguished by the amount of megapixels of the camera, the more the better. Nowadays it seems like trivial features have to satisfy the need the the latest and greatest phone.

aerok
May 4, 2013, 09:00 AM
A lot of those 'air' gesture features fail to work properly. They're good for proof-of-concept and showing off, but otherwise so unreliable you won't be using them normally.

I do admit many of the features do not work well but if there is one that works well and does not fail is air gesture, plase try it before making an unfounded judgement.

----------

Hmm, on further reading it appears that you can only store apps on the internal storage so you would be stuck with only 8GB for apps. That's pretty weak.

That's not really an issue, large games install their largest files on the SD on startup.

----------

Difference is what was the market share of Mac vs PC? If Samsung was some scrappy upstart or had really low market share I could maybe understand them poking fun at a competitor this way. But they're not. They sell more phones than any other company in the world. So wouldn't it make sense for them to just ignore Apple all together?

iPhone 5 has and will hold a much larger marketshare over the S4.

Nebulance
May 4, 2013, 09:13 AM
The ability to answer the phone without touching it is cool. But it still won't get me to buy their phone. It would be cool if Apple could do something similar.

ProVideo
May 4, 2013, 09:13 AM
So you just wave your hand in front of it to answer it? That seems like it opens it up to being accidentally answered a lot more than the slide to unlock. I can think of quite a few awkward situations that opens up, especially if they have a facetime equivalent.

ThunderSkunk
May 4, 2013, 09:20 AM
I just don't like Samsung as a company, and seeing them produce iPhone knockoffs that are progressing faster than iPhones is irritating.

Get on the friggin ball already, Apple.

Though, that holding your finger over something til the cameras figure it out seems fairly corny.

CEmajr
May 4, 2013, 09:23 AM
Pretty weak ad. Most of these features that they're showing off have to be in very specific situations to actually make them practical. It's like they're trying so hard to make people think of their product as the cooler alternative to the iPhone but instead it just comes off looking silly to me.

Toltepeceno
May 4, 2013, 09:28 AM
In general I'd much rather take extra care over my anodized aluminim or glass product than have a horrid plastic thingy.

The point is that a phone made of plastic is not horrid, well some are, but it's not as extreme as that. I don't have a car filled with wood trim and leather seats, it's a honda accord with plastic and cloth seats. It's not horrid at all and the trim does not make the car.

gatearray
May 4, 2013, 09:28 AM
Stupid gimmicks masked as innovation!!!

This is 100% true, and is really no different than when the S3 came out with the same ridiculous "kitchen-sink" approach to building its feature list. For these hypocrites, the S4 is their own, "they moved the headphone jack to the bottom" moment, pot meet kettle...

jm001
May 4, 2013, 09:32 AM
Success built off theft. Not a particularly proud feat.

I guess BOTH companies are guilty as charged...

Even Jobs took some pride in stealing ideas (and making them work better and marketable!).

ChrisNH
May 4, 2013, 09:42 AM
Samsung focus groups found that its customers pick their noses a lot, hence the need for a way to do stuff without touching the glass.

Rogifan
May 4, 2013, 09:43 AM
The responses to his ad are funny! Some people are either projecting and/or have some other serious issues.

How is it insulting customers to state that another phone doesn't have a feature. Are some people so wound up because of their previous ad of hipsters waiting in line who were made to look silly for doing so?

This ad alone doesn't make fun of customers of any phone. It positions the S4 as having features other phones (not just he iPhone) doesn't. End of story.

If you - or others - feel that's insulting to you (or others) - all I can say is wow.

No I just think Samsung's ads are trying way to hard to be hip/cool and portray others as old and stodgy. But my guess is this ad isn't meant for TV or general consumers but for geeks and fanboys and to incite flame wars on tech sites.

nikaru
May 4, 2013, 09:45 AM
Im tired of people saying that Samsung is better, Android is better...im rly tired now. What makes iPhone special is not a stupid camera, LTE or NFC or anything in particular. What makes is great is the whole package.

Pentad
May 4, 2013, 09:46 AM

Tim, you've done a good job here. Pat him on the neck, give him a sugar cube, and refill his Kool-Aid.

Bonte
May 4, 2013, 09:46 AM

I don't know,
- the 'hover' feature can easily be replicated via the camera censor, Apple and the app-makers just don't find it useful
- with a 'bump' i can also share information between iphone and Android, no NFC needed
- TV-remote's a plenty

Not that special to be smarten than a smartphone.

Lukkee24
May 4, 2013, 09:55 AM
You're joking right?

That has nothing to do with Samsung though :p.

Drinahn
May 4, 2013, 10:02 AM

I think you throw it at a wall.

GenesisST
May 4, 2013, 10:02 AM
Reading threads like these make me hope that all the "copycat sayers" drive Fords and not any of those copycat cars...

Last "end-user Samsung" (not including parts) product I owned was in 2000, never had an Android phone, long time Mac user and Windows free since 2006 at home and since 2010 at work. I have TC, AE, aTV, iPhone, iPad, MBP, etc.

Still... copycat comments annoy me to no end.

Rant complete... back to normal now... Time to go outside, it's a beautiful day here. Carry on, carry on.

Braces for impact...

spyguy10709
May 4, 2013, 10:17 AM
You're joking right?

Sarcasm. WOOSH.

cdmoore74
May 4, 2013, 10:21 AM
My neighbor's son has Down's syndrome and he can use his iPhone perfectly well.

That is funny and sad at the same time. No wonder I never owned a iphone.
Apple better add some complexity instead of flatness to iOS 7 or else the cheap plastic Note 3 will be my next device.

imagineadam
May 4, 2013, 10:21 AM
I seriously felt awkward and uncomfortable after watching that! All of those things they were doing with the phone were ridiculous! And they keep promoting that put the phones together to transfer a pic as such a cool thing! Hilarious! Who really cares and would actually use that? The air swipe answering thing... Come on!

JAT
May 4, 2013, 10:23 AM
So when they first demoed it I couldn't figure out when I'd ever need the hover technology stuff? Answering a phone by waving, using it without touching, but those two moments, when your hands are crazy sticky, or covered in oilly stuff nailed it. Those are perfect examples that people will relate to and actually use.

Bravo ad company, bravo.

Unless you happen to not like having private conversations on speakerphone. Or maybe the caller doesn't.

cdmoore74
May 4, 2013, 10:25 AM
Reading threads like these make me hope that all the "copycat sayers" drive Fords and not any of those copycat cars...

Last Samsung product I owned was in 2000, never had an Android phone, long time Mac user and Windows free since 2006 at home and since 2010 at work. I have TC, AE, aTV, iPhone, iPad, MBP, etc.

Still... copycat comments annoy me to no end.

Rant complete... back to normal now... Time to go outside, it's a beautiful day here. Carry on, carry on.

Braces for impact...

I thought Samsung made components for Apple. Technically you have used Samsung products. It was covered up by the Apple logo.

the8thark
May 4, 2013, 10:28 AM
Very true indeed, that was unnecessary. Yes, air gestures appears to be interesting in practical life. But Macrumors website!! Samsung ads are all over the place, also a bit of google as well. I'm sure the owners of Macrumors secretly loves Samsung a lot!

Does not matter if the staff here like samesung a lot or not. Then putting up articles like this just show the silly decisions samesung are making (like this TV ad). And make the people even less likely to buy a samesung phone then they already were.

Reverse Apple advertising by MR here.

Aidyn's X
May 4, 2013, 10:29 AM

I know the original poster was kidding, but it is true. Mac poked fun of PC because PCs were dominating the market. It is always the underdog that pokes fun at the industry leader. Coke never makes fun of Pepsi, iPhone never makes fun of other phones (at least not in the commercials).

theheadguy
May 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
You know, you never see Apple making fun of Samsung phones or the company in their ads... I guess it's just a good gauge of class. EDIT - WOOSH. Sarcasm. I guess you guys never heard of it? Jesus you people are dense.
It's not that. You just had incredibly poor execution.

I thought Samsung made components for Apple. Technically you have used Samsung products. It was covered up by the Apple logo.
http://t.qkme.me/3pexu2.jpg

HishamAkhtar
May 4, 2013, 10:43 AM
Sarcasm. WOOSH.

Clearly your statement was wrong if most people thought you were serious haha

keziapurrs
May 4, 2013, 10:44 AM
It's like politics. Bashing goes both ways.

HishamAkhtar
May 4, 2013, 10:44 AM
oh? and which company's product was named in those ads? Microsoft? Dell? HP? the PC guy represented the entire PC experience, not one maker's.

The premise still stands that they did the same thing.

thatsallfolks
May 4, 2013, 10:50 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_57JzUQCUQ3E/SE2wqCQfwFI/AAAAAAAAAI4/_7053YT5de0/s400/john%2520hodgman%2520out%2520of%2520the%2520box.jpg

Yep, no product was named... :rolleyes:

ebatalha
May 4, 2013, 10:52 AM
First of all, Apple did a campaign against no brand, just against PCs.

Bump app do these file transfers by touching an iPhone to another, I can even do this from my iPhone to my computer and vice-versa.
I can remote my TV and my TVBox too.
No, I can't answer a call while I'm eating like an animal… :)

quietstormSD
May 4, 2013, 10:56 AM
Wow, the S4 kicks the iPhone @ss with some of those features. Funny ad, really brings the point across.

I'm still sticking with iPhone, at least until iPhone 6 comes out. That would be the make or break for me, with the iPhone.

rdlink
May 4, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm never close enough to any of my (very few) friends to bump phones. Guess I'll just have to keep clicking the Share|Message button on my iPhone... ;)

the8thark
May 4, 2013, 11:01 AM
C'mon. Windows is STILL 10x (+/-) as popular as OSX. Nothing has changed there.

A lot of people are forced to use windows. Does not mean they all like using windows.

lucas107
May 4, 2013, 11:26 AM
First of all, Apple did a campaign against no brand, just against PCs.

Bump app do these file transfers by touching an iPhone to another, I can even do this from my iPhone to my computer and vice-versa.
I can remote my TV and my TVBox too.
No, I can't answer a call while I'm eating like an animal… :)

The brand was windows. The PC in question was running windows dont act like it was directed towards linux users. Your iphone cant remote my grandmas tube tv and vcr thou can it? S4 can. Your iphone cant do bump without a network connection can it? S4 can.

I'm never close enough to any of my (very few) friends to bump phones. Guess I'll just have to keep clicking the Share|Message button on my iPhone... ;)

Thats really sad you gotta get some physical contact its actually really good for you. Huge problem with society is lack and fear of physical contact.

A lot of people are forced to use windows. Does not mean they all like using windows.

I love windows. My only computer in the house is my htpc and it works awesome and cost 300$ to build and is inside an old beta deck. Havnt had a windows problem in about 10 years. No blue screens no virus no spyware nothing. Also it plays bluray remuxes perfectly with perfect sync to my tv and hd audio.

Internaut
May 4, 2013, 11:27 AM
Personally, I prefer the HTC One to the S4. Samsung tries to hard IMHO, and this leads them to bring features to market before they are ready for the big time. Could you imagine Apple releasing an eye tracking feature that didn't work flawlessly? The grown up stuff matters, and Apple and HTC do a good job of producing a solid phone that do the things that matter well.

Drunken Master
May 4, 2013, 11:29 AM
That is funny and sad at the same time. No wonder I never owned a iphone.
Apple better add some complexity instead of flatness to iOS 7 or else the cheap plastic Note 3 will be my next device.

Yeah, because that's what I want out of the telephone is complexity. You represent everything that's wrong with society today and I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

marksman
May 4, 2013, 11:30 AM
I thought of so many ways to make this ad funnier and more effective.

They are playing the long con. They will run these ads on nickelodeon and Disney channel so when the galaxy s16 comes out they will want to buy it, running Tizen OS v-Kale

dokujaryu
May 4, 2013, 11:34 AM
I have the S4 now coming from an iPhone 5. It's alright, but the iPhone is easily faster (more responsive, loads apps faster, switches apps faster, gets messages faster, is just plain faster no matter what the synthetic benchmarks say), easier to use, less gimmicky, more rugged, and has a longer lasting battery. I've also had a lot of app crashes. I'd say an app crashed maybe once a month on iPhone, and I've had several a day on the S4. Candy Crush for example was 100% broken for an entire day.

But I'm enjoying trying out Android for the 4th time for sure. This is easily the best android I've ever used. Hopefully it gets 5.0 quickly and that makes it faster.

Be it Windows phones or Samsung phones, you always see an iPhone. /shrug.

marksman
May 4, 2013, 11:35 AM
By the way the main difference between this and apple's Mac / Pc campaign is apple was the huge underdog with no marketshare. By many metrics Samsung is the marketshare leader. As such it is probably a below average concept at best to constantly be attacking second place.

You don't increase your gross margin by attacking your competitor anyways.

dokujaryu
May 4, 2013, 11:41 AM
By the way the main difference between this and apple's Mac / Pc campaign is apple was the huge underdog with no marketshare.

Well, the PC vs. Mac commercials were also about co-existing. The Mac wasn't rejecting the PC guy, and often times the Mac guy would say the PC guy was good at stuff.

Also, the people represented the products, they weren't consumers of the products. It was personification and lampoon, not outright insulting.

tyson12zoll
May 4, 2013, 11:44 AM

People seem to forget the apple ads poked fun at a product, not the people that used them. Big difference.

gijoeinla
May 4, 2013, 11:46 AM
Good ad.

All things are equal but some are more equal than others.

Wave your hand? Touch butts? Am I the only one that *those* look so lame? And I for one would be embarrassed doing it... I mean what they (new same-sung) owners can expect is even you DAWG can answer a call, read a message, etc etc etc... Seems like lots of babies will be answering calls quite quite easily -- lolololol... Talk about gimmicky -- I for one want a company REALIZING our phones are virtual WALLETS into our banking, mail, calls, messages, and photos -- and hey I can already share pics with photo stream - simple and not lame looking. Or Instagram for that matter... These ads alone are like bug repellant to me )).

Btw -- that's the "extent" of their ecosystem...bahahahaha

iChrist
May 4, 2013, 11:52 AM

Yes. Reminds me of those "I'm a Mac" ads.

EeZeEpEe
May 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah but you have to have NFC for that to work so…:rolleyes:

----------

Yeah, sort of. In Japan most cell phones can send eachother data through IR (Infrared) and that is more convinient that emailing every thing and it doesn't cost anything(like NFC).

Uh you must be misinformed about NFC. It uses no data and don't know what you mean by it costing something. It's basically Bluetooth/Wi-Fi direct pairing made easy without the need of pair codes.

marksman
May 4, 2013, 12:04 PM

If you are eating ribs with one hand you are doing it wrong. So if you set the phone down you drip barbecue sauce on it.

I don't really care about the commercials one way or another I just think Samsung could be more effective. That being said samsungs ad budget is what has propelled their phone and phablet business. So it must be effective.

I feel like I see more apple commercials than Samsung commercials but I suspect samsungs ad budget is many multiples of apples in the US in the phone segment. Maybe I am too old to see anything from Samsung.

With Samsung able to make a lot of their hardware and having the foundation os given to them for gratis, I do puzzle at why their margins are so much lower. Those are huge advantages, ones apple should not be able to overcome, yet apple makes significantly more money.

gmanist1000
May 4, 2013, 12:06 PM
Yes. Reminds me of those "I'm a Mac" ads.

Personally, my favorite Apple ads of all time.

Toltepeceno
May 4, 2013, 12:10 PM
I just remember some early reviews last week that said the S4 was good but not great calling things like the above screen 'touch' as more of a gimmick and unreliable.

I can see it being useful if you're eating ribs but hey if I've eating ribs my iPhone is more likely to be in my pocket than in the table near sticky ribs.

I leave mine on the table, just not in the plate with the ribs.

ilmman
May 4, 2013, 12:15 PM
Ahh, reminds me of the Nintendo vs Sega days back in my days,

marksman
May 4, 2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah, they pushed the 'sticky fingers' situations to their limit. Most people do the old pinky control, or god forbid - clean their hands.

Yeah I would always go for the clean hands bit. Any situation where it requires you to instantly use your phone can handle some sauce, because someone should be dying.

I realize that exxageration is a good way to highlight features so I think tearing apart the ad for those things is probably not fair. I think insulting adults who pay for almost all smartphones is not a good road to track.

As for people talking about all the gimmicks. Everyone does this. In this case while the gimmicks are squared off at apple they really target current Samsung owners as well, trying to encourage them to upgrade to get these new features.

Besides insulting all the people with money I think Samsung tries to focus on too much. Obviously a 90 second commercial is not going to run many places so they must have 30 and 60 second edits, but it seems like they focus on too many things. Having a series of commercials that just focus on one or two of these new features might be better.

Also one interesting thing is the HTC One commercial clearly tells us that their device is all metallic. People know apple's quality build but don't people wonder what are Samsung phones made of?

----------

You people are hysterical. You trash Samsung day in and day out, but when Samsung makes an ad poking fun of Apple you lose your minds. Grow up.

Ironically the best ad is for a windows phone. Is it the Nokia lumina where they make fun of apple and Samsung?

It is a horrible commercial from the standpoint of promoting their own product but the most entertaining. By the way there are legitimate issues with Samsung's approach so do not go crazy yourself.

----------

Ironically you pointing that out just makes Samsung look bad.

----------

Bravo ad company, bravo.

I guess. I do not ever recall any time in the last six years where this ever posed a problem for me.

As I said exxageration can be used to show functionality but what percentage of people can relate to this problem? Chronic worriers and the small percentage of people who actually recall a situation where they needed it. But even then if it gets used once every six years how great is it. With anything on your hands good chance both hands are covered which means no holding the phone which means drip drip drip on phone.

Now I could see this being useful as a sort of air controller where you have the screen shared to another device and are looking at that while controlling with gestures.

nemesis4670
May 4, 2013, 12:26 PM
Just saying...

The answer your phone was a feature motorola phones had 8 years ago.

The NFC sharing came out with the original iPhone (it was bluetooth, but only because NFC technology was not available)

I could control most TVs with my Sony Ericsson T310 9 years ago.

A flap cover, I had that with my Palm IIIc like 15 years ago.

And all those functions worked the same way. No innovation or updates to those features from Samsung.

Wow if this is really all you think Samsung and android is then you've clearly never used it. Whether you like these features or not, at least Samsung is actually TRYING. Every single jailbreak tweak that iPhone users drool over are features ripped straight from android. Jailbreaking is essentially a tool that turns iOS into android.

When you have millions of people dying to jailbreak their phone because stock iOS is a snooze fest, there is clearly a problem with the phone that apple refuses to address.

The keyboard doesn't even switch to lowercase letters or have a top number row. You also need a jailbreak just to get an app switcher that doesn't suck. Lets not forget how much harder it is to get a jailbreak for newer devices and you have to sacrifice every incremental update for an entire year if you want to keep jailbreak.

Samsung and HTC are showing apple how its done this year. Samsung even more impressively considering they use PLASTIC and it still outsold the iPhone. Doesn't that tell you fanboys something? All those people aren't stupid. They clearly recognize the great customization and feature set that Samsung provides. Android is also smooth as butter now and rivals iOS smoothness.

Android also has native controller support so playing games and emulators with PS3, 360, and the MOGA Pro is 1000x better than shoddy touch controls once iPhone.

Welcome to 2013. Where android is actually innovating, performing smoothly, and offering devices in all shapes and sizes all while being cost effective.

Apple needs to innovate by the end of this year otherwise they are screwed. iPhone 5 sales only happened because there was a little juice left in the apple loyalist tank. But it's running dry and soon hardcore apple fans won't be so forgiving of regurgitated designs and a lack of new features.

marksman
May 4, 2013, 12:28 PM

It is funny when the most compelling feature of the potentially best android phone is all metallic build. If I were to buy an android phone right now it would probably be the Htc one.

----------

Link to market research please.

j4zb4
May 4, 2013, 12:28 PM

I was going to type this... But I figured it would be a waste of time... The forum is infested with morons... There are no real meaningful discussions anymore...

tjl3
May 4, 2013, 12:32 PM
I realize that exxageration is a good way to highlight features so I think tearing apart the ad for those things is probably not fair. I think insulting adults who pay for almost all smartphones is not a good road to track.

As for people talking about all the gimmicks. Everyone does this. In this case while the gimmicks are squared off at apple they really target current Samsung owners as well, trying to encourage them to upgrade to get these new features.

Besides insulting all the people with money I think Samsung tries to focus on too much. Obviously a 90 second commercial is not going to run many places so they must have 30 and 60 second edits, but it seems like they focus on too many things. Having a series of commercials that just focus on one or two of these new features might be better.

Actually Samsung does cater to adults/older people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UrHYGO7r1rI

Quite a contradiction they have made!

Also one interesting thing is the HTC One commercial clearly tells us that their device is all metallic. People know apple's quality build but don't people wonder what are Samsung phones made of?

HTC is so deceiving! All of their promos are misleading to the fact that the One is not all metal. The plastic sides make it feel less 'premium' to me than the GS4.

harrisondavies
May 4, 2013, 12:37 PM

Perhaps because Gates stole Jobs' baby and made it worse?

Samsung copy, and then add insult to injury by poking fun at the guy they just stole from.

Apple aren't perfect, but they're consistent. Security, stability, and simplicity over gimmicks for me.

unobtainium
May 4, 2013, 12:37 PM
*Not shown in ad*

Clarissa and Melissa are lying by the pool talking about boys. Melissa's phone rings.

Clarissa: Oh god, it's your stupid ex Chad. Don't answer it!
Melissa: I'm not going to. *Accidentally makes hand gesture near phone and answers the call without realizing it*
Melissa: Chad's such a jerk. Plus I slept with his brother.
Chad: What?

duervo
May 4, 2013, 12:38 PM
It was mildly humorous. Did it feel longer than 1:30 to anyone else? At about the 30s mark I lost all interest.!

That's the problem with people nowadays. No attention span whatsoe .. Oh look! Cookies!