PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchasing used MacBook Air 11.6"

foz405
May 4, 2013, 07:16 AM
I'm hoping some of you may help me. I'm considering purchasing a used MacBook Air, probably the 11.6" as my main computer is a PPC 17" laptop, loaded with programs that I cannot afford to update if I upgrade it.
However, I do need something newer, as I've found situations where I cannot use my PPC. For example downloading maps for a Garman Sat Nav etc.
I'm sure there will be others that come along.
So, I need a cheap reliable secondary machine to cater for all the new stuff.
Can anyone give me advice on the MacBook Air ? Will it perform all the functions of a full size machine ? Can I use a wireless mouse with it ?
Thanking you for any answers you can provide, and the answers to questions I probably haven't asked, or should have.

Grahame

Mrbobb
May 4, 2013, 01:15 PM
That PPC is like what 4 years old? Yes a 2012 (latest) Air will do everything you want except the screen real estate. Go4rit. Nothing else to say, other than a 2013 refresh may come soon.

Jantelagen
May 5, 2013, 05:03 PM
That PPC is like what 4 years old? Yes a 2012 (latest) Air will do everything you want except the screen real estate. Go4rit. Nothing else to say, other than a 2013 refresh may come soon.

The last PPC Mac, the Power Mac G5, was last shipped in 2006. That's not 4 years old, dude, that's 7 years right there. That's also the last time a Power Book 17" shipped, so that's probably how old OP's Mac is.

Bear
May 6, 2013, 08:30 AM
So, I need a cheap reliable secondary machine to cater for all the new stuff.
Can anyone give me advice on the MacBook Air ? Will it perform all the functions of a full size machine ? Can I use a wireless mouse with it ?
Thanking you for any answers you can provide, and the answers to questions I probably haven't asked, or should have.

GrahameThe only difference from a "full size machine" is the size of the display and the processing power. Having said that, a current MBA will probably run rings around your PowerBook. Do make sure you get the right configuration of the Air since the memory is not upgradable and 64GB SSD won't last long space wise. Another choice might be for you to get the 13" cMBP or 13" Air for a slightly larger screen.