Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkaSocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hey all,

Having a strange reading on my System Information, Storage Tab, regarding the 'Other' bar. While it takes up the majority of my hard drive's disk space, the actual amount says it's zero kb. Anybody have any idea what's going on? Also, is there any way to reduce the amount of space this takes up? It's OS-related, right? About 50GB of my storage is being used up by my 'Library' folder so I assume so.

Screenshot is below. I'm running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3, on a Retina Macbook Pro. Tried verifying the disk in Disk Utility but it didn't change anything.

Thanks for your help.

ScreenShot2013-05-04at133736_zps4c6fb44a.png

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There are some quirks in the System Info panel on Storage devices.

"Other" is everything not represented by the other categories. It therefore includes user documents that aren't audio or video, per-user application data, as well as system files.

You can use a utility like OmniDiskSweeper to find out what's taking up the most space.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

SkaSocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Thanks people, looking into this now. Downloaded OmniDiskSweeper and found a ton of crap I don't need, including several GB of iPhone backups I didn't know were still there. Going to look into this further though, see if there's anything else I can delete.

As you can see from your screenshot, you have selected the STORAGE tab, the MEMORY tab is the one on the right.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":
It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
The above links also apply to SSDs.

Whoops, yep, I meant 'Storage', not Memory. Thanks! Changing the topic to reflect this typo.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Having a strange reading on my System Information, Storage Tab, regarding the 'Other' bar.

Those numbers come from the Spotlight index, which can get corrupted. The give away is that 18.45EB shown for movies.

Just run the command below in Terminal and wait for Spotlight to reindex and check the numbers again and they should be accurate.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.