PDA

View Full Version : iPod Haters

corbin_a2
Oct 27, 2005, 07:57 PM
I just read this and had to laugh. These poser hipsters hate all iPods and for that matter Apple. Good for a chuckle.

http://www.nyunews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/20/43570f088b0ec

Not everyone loves the iPod
by K. Shea O’Rourke
October 20, 2005

If CAS junior Emily Nassberg were ever to receive a free iPod, she knows exactly what she would do with it.

[Note from the moderators: We've removed the rest of this copyrighted story. The link above no longer works, but you can read the full article here (http://media.www.nyunews.com/media/storage/paper869/news/2005/10/20/FeaturescampusLife/Not-Everyone.Loves.The.Ipod-2386977.shtml).]

killuminati
Oct 27, 2005, 08:07 PM
Oh god. I hate those people that hate iPods just because they can't afford one. Going around telling people not to waste their money on an overpriced MP3 Player. :rolleyes: . Are there also people that hate Mercedes because they can't afford one?

Are there groups of people going around telling people don't buy a Mercedes because you can get a Honda for half the price and it will still get you where you have to go! :rolleyes:

Sheesh

clayj
Oct 27, 2005, 08:15 PM
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. There's a difference between thinking the price of something is too high and not being able to afford it... for example, I think the price of filet mignon is too high, but I'll still go out and have a nice steak at least once a month.

Please, PLEASE don't fall into the Apple-cult trap of saying that people who don't like Apple's products are somehow poor or lacking in good taste... these are not the ways to get people onboard.

devilot
Oct 27, 2005, 08:17 PM
I don't know... I think that the college kids in question choose not to own iPods not because of the price but because of the backlash at such a trendy item.

killuminati
Oct 27, 2005, 08:21 PM
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. There's a difference between thinking the price of something is too high and not being able to afford it... for example, I think the price of filet mignon is too high, but I'll still go out and have a nice steak at least once a month.

Please, PLEASE don't fall into the Apple-cult trap of saying that people who don't like Apple's products are somehow poor or lacking in good taste... these are not the ways to get people onboard.

I didn't mean to say that those people can't afford it. What I meant was, why should people care what other people do with their money. So they think that it is to expensive. Don't buy it. If other people do, does it affect those that thought it was too expensive? No. The main reason I hear from people why they hate ipods is because they are too expensive. But those people don't make a club telling other people not to buy it. It just seems kinda dumb to me.

And also, I don't really care about getting other people "onboard". It doesn't really make a difference to me what other people think of Apple. Yes I love their products and think they're a good company, but I really don't care if other people disagree with me.

treblah
Oct 27, 2005, 08:26 PM
Ugh. I know kids just like this at my college.

'Yeah, I used to think the iPod was cool but now everyone has one' is the new 'I used to like The Postal Service before everyone did too.'

:rolleyes:

AmericanIdiot12
Oct 27, 2005, 08:27 PM
hmm....there it is apple "ITS ALL ABOUT THE ADVERTISING"

so maaaaaaaybe it would be a good idea to ADVERTISE your computers (on tv of course)

everyone loves the apple commercials 1984, the imac g4, every ipod commercial, the powermac g5 blowing up the house...

its not that hard apple

huck500
Oct 27, 2005, 08:41 PM
I don't know... I think that the college kids in question choose not to own iPods not because of the price but because of the backlash at such a trendy item.

It always struck me as pretty ironic that some people don't like things because they're popular... you're still letting the trendy kids dictate what you should like (or dislike). :rolleyes:

Having 8000 songs with me is only slightly more convenient than carrying 800 or so cds? Um......no.

Edit: To be clear, this post is directed at the kids in the article, not Devilot...

Dagless
Oct 27, 2005, 08:44 PM
my closest mate hates Apple for no real solid reason. nobody on my course hates the iPod though, people at my university are just different like that. they don't care about anything other than it works with their macs perfectly. Thats all they're after. deep down isn't that what we're all after? well, us Mac users? are there any other MP3 players that sync with everything and its uncle automatically when plugged in? if there is then it isn't marketed correctly.

iMeowbot
Oct 27, 2005, 08:51 PM
For one it was the price. Found in the comments section:
I didn't say I would bash in the iPod. I said I would cash it in.
Emily Nassberg
student
Palladium
:D

dejo
Oct 27, 2005, 08:51 PM
I sure hope these students who think the only reason for the iPod's success is the advertising are not marketing majors. Sure, that's part of the reason. And it's been a good marketing campaign. But it certainly is not the ONLY reason.

zap2
Oct 27, 2005, 08:59 PM
said CAS sophomore Bridget Oliveri of her choice to use a CD player instead of an iPod. “I feel like if I buy one now, [soon] they’re going to come out with an iPod that does everything for you.”

IF you buy one now then you still can use it in 3 years just becuz a new one come sout does not means you going to HAVE to get it. With her logic we should all be using tape players( lol they suck)

2nyRiggz
Oct 27, 2005, 09:02 PM
what! they hating on the ipods? lets grab our iforks and ifire and hit the streets like mad people causing drama to all who dont like apple!

Lets get em!

urban1985_
Oct 28, 2005, 03:04 AM
Hypocrites.

If they were all for practicality and savviness, they wouldn't want to "bash it in" if they got a free one.

It's utter hatred for the product.

BakedBeans
Oct 28, 2005, 04:08 AM
50 people!!!!!

omg

*runs off to post in the "what would destroy apple" thread"

eXan
Oct 28, 2005, 05:18 AM
Have you really seen commercials for other MP3 players?”

Well I never saw the iPod ad on TV (I don't live in US) I just downloaded some of them from interent.

Mind you that I bought iPod not because I saw those ads (it just seems funny :D)

my closest mate hates Apple for no real solid reason.

lol ALL my friends (and not only friends) hate Apple/Macs for no solid reason too. They admit however that iPod rocks!

wide
Oct 28, 2005, 05:53 AM
Blasphemy! Damn the heretics!

giveup
Oct 28, 2005, 06:29 AM
if they ever hate ipods, check out iTunes. No any other jukebox software is better than iTunes.

jdechko
Oct 28, 2005, 08:35 AM
It's funny, to be honest. I used to hate Apple for no reason **Ducks**. I made fun of the iPod commercials even. Then one day I read the PVP storyline about Brent giving Francis an iPod for free, and I read what Scott Kurtz said about the iPod. I started doing research and found that they were quite amazing devices and I ended up buying a 2nd Gen. 10 GB model. This was all before they exploded onto the scene and everyone had one. Almost makes me feel trendy :cool: