PDA

View Full Version : Is there really an iPod heaven?

plasticparadox
Oct 27, 2005, 07:59 PM
So I've been holding on to this scratched up, ratty looking 30 gig 3G iPod for the past 2 years. It won't hold much of a charge - I usually listen to music on my commute, and with this thing, I can only listen on the way to work! :D Really embarrassing!
I've kept it tethered to my Mac at all times and I have a pair of external speakers plugged in to it's dock. It makes a good audio system, as well as the obvious external hard disk.

So anyways, the point is that it's died big time. I can't pull files off of it anymore - it won't copy beyond about half of the file, before the iPod HD chokes and I get an error -36.

This is the output of Disk Utility when verifying the volume.

Verifying volume “iPod”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Incorrect number of thread records
Invalid leaf record count
(It should be 3264 instead of 3267)
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 1517942 instead of 1516722)
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume iPod needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

OK. So I click Repair Disk.

Verify and Repair disk “iPod”
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid leaf record count
(It should be 3264 instead of 3267)
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 1517942 instead of 1516722)
Volume Header needs minor repair
Repairing volume.
Rechecking volume.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Repairing volume.
Rechecking volume.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Repairing volume.
Rechecking volume.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
The volume iPod could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error
Repair attempted on 1 volume
1 volume could not be repaired

Any next steps to take? I still have about 20 gigs of otherwise unbacked up data I want to pull off this disk but I can live without it.

Thanks

mad jew
Oct 28, 2005, 01:49 AM
Sorry but it's dead. If you want to get the maximum amount of data form it as possible, it'll take some time. The thing will get worse as it gets warmer so only get small amounts off at a time and have big cool off periods in between (four hours plus). I realise that you can only get half a file off at the moment but things may better if you let it cool off. Good luck. :)

Once you've got your data off of it, you could try erasing it using Disk Utility. Format as Microsoft DOS or something and use the security options to zero out the hard drive (once over). Hopefully this will let you run the iPod Software Updater again to maybe get it working. :)

pknz
Oct 28, 2005, 02:16 AM
Yes there is an iPod heaven.

mad jew
Oct 28, 2005, 02:19 AM
Yes there is an iPod heaven.

Depends, was it a good iPod? Did it serve you well? :p

Set aside a day or so to get your data back off it. Hopefully you'll be able to scavenge some stuff.

plasticparadox
Oct 28, 2005, 08:17 AM
Sorry but it's dead. If you want to get the maximum amount of data form it as possible, it'll take some time. The thing will get worse as it gets warmer so only get small amounts off at a time and have big cool off periods in between (four hours plus). I realise that you can only get half a file off at the moment but things may better if you let it cool off. Good luck. :)

Once you've got your data off of it, you could try erasing it using Disk Utility. Format as Microsoft DOS or something and use the security options to zero out the hard drive (once over). Hopefully this will let you run the iPod Software Updater again to maybe get it working. :)

Yup, it's exactly as you've said. I can transfer smaller files off the iPod, but pretty much as I hit 150 megs or so, it just stalls and eventually the file transfer is stopped by the Finder with the error code.

Problem is, all that's left on there is a bunch of files, with the smallest being about 250 megs, and the largest topping out at about 3.6 gigs. So evidently I need to find some sort of file manager that will let me pause and resume file copying operations so I can reduce the stress on the poor iPod.

Anyone know of such a program?

Also, I definitely think this iPod is going to heaven. It's served me very well! :D Thanks mad jew.

mad jew
Oct 28, 2005, 08:24 AM
Sorry I can't help you with a program recommendation.

However, I had more luck with my failing iPod when I kept an ice pack on it. Just make sure it doesn't get wet. Keeping it cool seems to help though. :)

As for the program, you might have more luck looking for an app that'll split large files up so you can then take them off in segments. Once again though, I can't think of any personally. I'll see what VersionTracker has to say... :)

Best of luck with it.

plasticparadox
Oct 28, 2005, 08:53 AM
Sorry I can't help you with a program recommendation.

However, I had more luck with my failing iPod when I kept an ice pack on it. Just make sure it doesn't get wet. Keeping it cool seems to help though. :)

As for the program, you might have more luck looking for an app that'll split large files up so you can then take them off in segments. Once again though, I can't think of any personally. I'll see what VersionTracker has to say... :)

Best of luck with it.

I tried the ice recommendation. Didn't seem to affect it really, but maybe I'll try it again after a few hours.

I'm going to give this program (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14778) a try.

mad jew
Oct 28, 2005, 09:12 AM
I tried the ice recommendation. Didn't seem to affect it really, but maybe I'll try it again after a few hours.

Yeah, a failing iPod can be pretty temperamental. They usually get slightly better after leaving them for a few hours so hopefully you'll have more luck later.

I'm going to give this program (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14778) a try.

I don't wanna be a nay-sayer, but it looks like it only works with DMGs (disk image files) though.

Have a look at MacHacha 3.0 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18628), Splitter 1.0 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14956) or Split&Concat 2.4.2 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13072) although this last one isn't free. I haven't tried any of these and don't necessarily endorse them though. Hopefully someone else on these boards will jump in with a bit of personal experience to tell you what works and what doesn't. :)

carpe diem
Oct 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
What is ipod heaven like?:D

jayscheuerle
Oct 28, 2005, 11:17 AM
What is ipod heaven like?:D

Well, everything is white...