PDA

View Full Version : To Mac or not To Mac?

Mxstical
Oct 27, 2005, 08:13 PM
I am a new mac-to-be user, I am just waiting for the shipment of the new PB 17"(HD), i am still in the decision stage. I can see alot of complain on Hardware problem such as the White spot, Soundjacks, Keyboard letters poping out, flickering screen, ect. My question, Is it worth all the hardware hassle? and the risk of getting a defected piece?

I have a choice of getting the existing Powerbook, as opposed to the brighter and sharper Powerbook, any recommendation as to which
one I shall go for?

Thanx in advance

Chundles
Oct 27, 2005, 08:22 PM
I am a new mac-to-be user, I am just waiting for the shipment of the new PB 17"(HD), i am still in the decision stage. I can see alot of complain on Hardware problem such as the White spot, Soundjacks, Keyboard letters poping out, flickering screen, ect. My question, Is it worth all the hardware hassle? and the risk of getting a defected piece?

I have a choice of getting the existing Powerbook, as opposed to the brighter and sharper Powerbook, any recommendation as to which
one I shall go for?

Thanx in advance

The reason many of these forums exist is for the small percentage of Mac users who do have problems to try and get help. The overwhelming majority of us have no problems with our Macs and are pleased as punch that we switched. You have to realise, not many people are going to come onto a Mac forum raving about how much they love their new Mac, we just get going in our new computer world where everything "just works."

As for a purchase option, I'd go for the latest and greatest. Always get the best computer you can afford and from what I've seen of those new screens they look simply stunning. So go for the new one.

PCheese
Oct 27, 2005, 09:03 PM
I have a choice of getting the existing Powerbook, as opposed to the brighter and sharper Powerbook, any recommendation as to which one I shall go for?

I'd go for the brighter and sharper new PowerBook because Apple makes small (or big) hardware fixes with each revision.

If you choose to get a Mac, definitely get AppleCare. You'll end up with 3 total years of warranty coverage, so you can bring your computer to an Apple Store (should any issues crop up) and have it fixed.

wattage
Oct 27, 2005, 11:18 PM
I second the Applecare (and the newest Pbook). The warranty is expensive, but you can call them for anything and get help, a must for a first time mac user. I bought my first mac in fall 2002 667 mhz powerbook and it still works great. I just do simple internet, photos, music etc. I would recommend getting the biggest hard drive you can.

EricNau
Oct 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
I triple the AppleCare, it is a must! (go for the new one)

FFTT
Oct 28, 2005, 02:54 AM
I would get an extended warranty with ANY micro electronics.

Generally your Mac will be trouble free, but over confidence these days
is asking for it. They are assembled under contract, but some components
may develop problems over time. It happens.

This last revision in the PowerBooks is probably going to run quite warm simply because everyone has insisted on higher performance parts that naturally run hotter.
Brighter displays, faster hard drives and beefier graphics cards all add to
that heat.

I would buy AppleCare before the original factory warranty expires, just for peace of mind.

In 2 or 3 years the low power, dual core Intel based Macs with hopefully have proven their worth and you'll still have a great machine to sell or hand down when you're ready to update.

Meanwhile you'll be all grins with that new PowerBook :D

Mxstical
Oct 28, 2005, 05:40 AM
The reason many of these forums exist is for the small percentage of Mac users who do have problems to try and get help. The overwhelming majority of us have no problems with our Macs and are pleased as punch that we switched. You have to realise, not many people are going to come onto a Mac forum raving about how much they love their new Mac, we just get going in our new computer world where everything "just works."

As for a purchase option, I'd go for the latest and greatest. Always get the best computer you can afford and from what I've seen of those new screens they look simply stunning. So go for the new one.

I guess you are right, Thanx all for your answer and thanx Chundle for your help.