PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air and iPad/iPhone

Skippymon
May 4, 2013, 02:16 PM
I've had a MacBook Air for a few months now and absolutely love it. It was my first apple device. I also have an old HTC Desire S Android phone that needs replacing. I am wondering about getting an iPhone 5 as presumably it will sync and work well with my MacBook Air and hopefully make life easy in that respect. However, I could also afford a cheaper Android replacement that will allow me to buy an iPad Mini which i quite fancy. So to anyone who has a MacBook Air AND an iPhone/iPad mini, how do they compliment each other? Is there much overlap between use? Would all 3 be overkill if I could afford it?! Is an Air and an iPhone a 'complete' package? Any thoughts...

PDFierro
May 4, 2013, 03:07 PM
Not if there things you can do with the iPad that you can't or wouldn't want to do on the Air or iPhone.

What do you think you would be using the iPad for? I think the Air and iPhone is the complete package, but for me I kind of want an iPad because I do a bunch of reading and other quick things. So it's a good middle device.

I guess the question is if you want to use a Mac for everything that you don't do on your phone.

nickprete11
May 4, 2013, 03:42 PM
Hello! I have a MBA, iPhone 5, and iPad mini. I love all my devices, and do not think they overlap each other and I use them all. But, I kinda think that the iPad mini is a bit too small anymore. I prefer the iPad 10", but am going to switch when the 5th generation comes out. I HIGHLY recommend that you don't get an Android phone. An iPad mini, MBA and Android phone just won't work well together. If you are getting a new 2 year contract, why don't you get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $99? What Android phone were you looking at? I think if the Android phone you were looking at was free, then get the iPhone 4. If it was $99 or more, get the 4S!

Mrbobb
May 4, 2013, 04:42 PM
I have Air (because Ultrabooks not that much cheaper) and iPhone because I do podcasts and I like how iTunes works, but I really have no need for an iPad, and it's not money. There hasn't been one instance with me where I go, gosh if I had an iPad, this would be easier. I imagine if I do e-books and/or spend lots of time in public transportation, I might. YMMV.

Skippymon
May 4, 2013, 05:01 PM
Interesting, i'm looking at getting an iPhone 5, or something cheap like a Motorola Razr plus an iPad mini. I think the iPhone might compliment the Air better though. Only thing is, I'm an airline pilot and the iPad mini would be rather handy for in-flight access of manuals and other work related stuff which is all digital these days even though we don't get a company issued iPad. I always travel with my Air but sometimes its just not suitable to use, ie stuffed down the back of an easyJet flight or in a taxi on the motorway while at the same time the typical smartphone is a bit small. I'm not really interested in a S4 size smartphone as its far too big for taking on a run or bike ride or even in my pocket on a night out. Guess I'll just have to save up and get the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini!

Mrbobb
May 4, 2013, 05:34 PM
Oh if am airline pilot I would definitely get an iPad, good for people on-the-go. Can do with Air but not as nice. I dunno how u people fit in that flight deck seat much less having a laptop of any size.

If memory serves me it seems like lately there is a movement to ban aircrews from using personal electronics while in-flight, in the U.S. Probly won't go anywhere. Am aware International flights are you are allowed to take a nap, which to me makes sense, if ur tired, that's not good. U.S., lots of B.S.

Skippymon
May 5, 2013, 05:50 AM
Yeah they might regulate personal device use in the future but for now its a common sense approach that works for the vast majority. I'm in the UK anyway. Searching a PDF manual is so much better than wading through a printed manual on the flightdeck.

I'm going to go for the iPhone initially then maybe get a second hand iPad mini in the future. I'll still be able to access all my work pdf documents on the iPhone as I've been doing on my HTC, just have to squint a bit!

Amplelink
May 5, 2013, 12:15 PM
I rarely use my MBA unless it's to do stuff I just can't do on my mini or do as easily. The mini is my primary everything device. I agree with other posters that it's weird to have one non-Apple device. Apple devices play quite nicely with one another.

DisplacedMic
May 5, 2013, 12:22 PM
i know this isn't really what you asked in your OP, but regarding the topic of mixing devices...

my personal and work computers are all macs.
my tablet is an iPad
my phone is an HTC EVO 4g LTE

all work beautifully and i wouldn't change any of it.
I have nothing against the iPhone- i just vastly prefer android OS.

i dont think i could take my wife's iphone away from her with a crowbar though.

I think OSX is so vastly superior to Windows that I don't see myself switching back to windows in the foreseeable future. My preference for Android is probably just a matter of taste and support for a more open platform.

I don't think too many people regret buying an iphone though :-)

Skippymon
May 5, 2013, 01:20 PM
I don't think too many people regret buying an iphone though :-)

That's lucky as I've ordered an iPhone 5 now, looking forward to it. Playing with a colleague's the other day made my old HTC seem like it was broken...!

Mrbobb
May 5, 2013, 01:29 PM
i know this isn't really what you asked in your OP, but regarding the topic of mixing devices...

So are u saying the HTC syncs with the other 2 devices as seamless as an iPhone?

DisplacedMic
May 5, 2013, 03:42 PM
So are u saying the HTC syncs with the other 2 devices as seamless as an iPhone?

no - i didn't say that at all. if anything i'd say that my Apple devices play beautifully with my droid phone :-)

J.Appleseed
May 5, 2013, 03:58 PM
Hello! I have a MBA, iPhone 5, and iPad mini. I love all my devices, and do not think they overlap each other and I use them all. But, I kinda think that the iPad mini is a bit too small anymore. I prefer the iPad 10", but am going to switch when the 5th generation comes out. I HIGHLY recommend that you don't get an Android phone. An iPad mini, MBA and Android phone just won't work well together. If you are getting a new 2 year contract, why don't you get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $99? What Android phone were you looking at? I think if the Android phone you were looking at was free, then get the iPhone 4. If it was $99 or more, get the 4S!

Hello! I have a MacBook Pro, iPad and Android phone. What makes you think my phone will not sync with my computer and iPad?

By using stock or third-party apps I can sync my iCloud contacts, calendar and mail + even my music and photos wirelessly between all my devices, including my Android phone.

I'd say: go for it, it's a perfect combo!

----------

Yep. See my earlier comment :)

DisplacedMic
May 5, 2013, 04:57 PM
That's lucky as I've ordered an iPhone 5 now, looking forward to it. Playing with a colleague's the other day made my old HTC seem like it was broken...!

yay! congrats

octatonic
May 5, 2013, 04:59 PM
I have all 3, plus a Mac Pro.

The iPad is the thing I use the most out of the house.
The Macbook Air is the thing I use the most in the house.
Mac Pro I use for audio production.
Phone is used as a phone, mostly.

Isamilis
May 8, 2013, 10:44 AM
I have no problem reading on the iPhone, especially during commuter. I bring MBA almost every day. It's very light in your bag and when you have enough space/desk, you can open and have full functional computer. Also, you can charge your iPhone using MBA even when riding the bus / train :)
I rarely use the iPad. I found too many overlaps use between iPhone and iPad. If you're like me no issues reading on the iPhone, then maybe you wouldn't find much extra benefit having the iPad.

Skippymon
May 12, 2013, 04:27 AM
Got my iPhone 5 up and running. Very impressed with it so far, especially the ease with which it syncs mail, calendars, notes, reminders, music & pictures with my Air. I'm finding it odd not having a back button or contextual menus but its all very slick and smooth. It will take some getting used to though, and I need a cover on it as I find it too slippery without; I've ordered an iCarbon skin as I love the one I have on my Air.

I'm away on a 5 day work trip tomorrow, will see how the pair of them fulfil my needs. At the moment I can't see the need to get an iPad Mini although my desire remains!