PDA

View Full Version : Someone ever tried to put a PowerMac G4 in a Mac Pro Case?

Cox Orange
May 4, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I was thinking about fitting the innards of a G4 into a Mac Pro case and using the extra space and the nice "drawers" for even more Hard Drives than do fit in my G4. Also being able to "redesign" the cooling, using more but quieter fans. (Already did a fan replacement on my G4). I remember some doing it with a G5, but if a Mac Pro would be usable, too...?

philz4life
May 4, 2013, 08:37 PM
I haven't done it, but the Mac Pro case is very similar to the G5, so it's definitely possible. What fan upgrades did you do? I'm interested in getting quieter fans for my G4.

MisterKeeks
May 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
the Mac Pro case is very similar to the G5

Externally, maybe. Internally, no.

lucasfer899
May 5, 2013, 04:13 AM
The Mac Pro is totally different to a G5 case, it would be very complicated to get a G4's innards in there. Why would you want to do that anyway?

666sheep
May 5, 2013, 05:12 AM
It would be interesting and little expensive mod. Definitely doable, though time consuming. Please create a build thread if you'll decide to do it. Good luck!

Cox Orange
May 5, 2013, 06:23 PM
...What fan upgrades did you do? I'm interested in getting quieter fans for my G4.
I did it in a PowerMac G4 "AGP". I used the specifications listed here http://infohost.nmt.edu/~holstien/g4info.html and used a comparison page and first looked at all that would meet the criteria, then I researched a bit (read reviews as far as possible).
Someone said, that the PSU has a small daughtercard, which regulates the speed (which is true) and that you have to not get over the max Watt of the fan that is built in by stock. While there is no proof to it or an explanation why (e.g. if there is a 12V-line that is not stated on the PSU, because the 12V lines shown on the PSU itselfs are ok for more) - I decided to go the save road and eliminate those fans from the list exceeding the stock fans Ampere. Which resulted in loosing some models by Enermax and Noiseblocker. (The thing about the daughtercard was said here http://infohost.nmt.edu/~holstien/g4fanswap.html)
For 80mm I came to this (I have found the site in English for you):
http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/?cmp=447213&cmp=717544&cmp=225538&cmp=809518&cmp=368884&cmp=698426&cmp=698453&cmp=698460&cmp=261130&cmp=323642&cmp=644211&cmp=592140

I decided to go with the noctua NF-R8 and was very, very happy. It seems that the most noise comes from the PSU (although I would have guessed the big case fan). Since I was that happy with it, I did not do anymore testing.
(Some in the list/link are double, because I wanted to have the model-numbers of variations of the same model or when there were not all specifications shown for one model, but I needed the number of the other without the PWM feature for example.)
I would not try the Spire fan and maybe the Coolink one, though it is in the list. The Zaward fan is marketed in the US under Sharkoon silent eagle and other brands (you can easily find them by looking for the dimples in the blades giving them the name "golf").
(if you do look for Nexus and Enermax fans, which I do not have in the list, be aware that they often give the beginning noise level and not that at maximum airflow).

For the 120mm fan (sorry only German, do not find the link I created in English back then):
http://geizhals.de/?cmp=367863&cmp=837131&cmp=534888&cmp=214841&cmp=832233&cmp=729088

I tested the Xigmatek XAF-F1255, which was louder than the stock fan at full speed (stock fan was listed as 38dB(A) and Xigmatek as 26dB(A)). Since I was allready pleased with the PSU fan replacement and did not have the time I did do no further testing. But somewhen, when I feel I like to work on it again I may do that.

The AKASA fan has the same thermistor that the G4 stock fan has and has much more airflow, but my thinking was to try, if it is quieter at the same airflow in beginning, mid and "2nd" mid step (though the max. airflow is much higher and would be as loud as the stock one given the specification sheet).
Those fans, that have more airflow or still a high dB(A) rating I listed, when the are 30dB(A) or less and I planned to use a Zalman fanmate to slow them down to get less noise, less airlfow, but still the same airflow as the stock one).
Well to rely on the numbers given by the manufacturers is useless somehow, but I had to start from somewhere making my selection.

PS: the Silenx 120mm fan is 3,8cm thick, which would fit in behind the metal shield in the G4, where the fan is mounted, but one will have to test, if it can suck enough air and if the slight blowing to the bottom is not needed, though.

Others here have just used a 120mm fan with only 120-130m2/h (divide by 1,68 to get cfm) and did mount a 80mm fan on the airport-bracket (where they used enermax T.B. silence, antec TriCool DBB, Antec TrueQuiet, beQuiet! silent-wings/black-wings).
For a 120mm fan with around 130m2/h I favour the Tacens Ventus II (or ICE II, if you like LED lights), would also test a Silenx Effizio Quiet or Effizio Thermistor, since they are said to be very quiet as well, though the manufacturing quality varies in one production, because they have two plants in two different countries and it was said, that those from one country tend to rattle after a few minutes.
The Mac Pro is totally different to a G5 case, it would be very complicated to get a G4's innards in there. Why would you want to do that anyway?
1. Because the drives on the very left, were there was space reserved for one SCSI-drive, actually, I think, gets very hot (i turned it around with the PCB-Board and chips on top, which lets it stay cooler, but one can't put a sixth one above it).
2. I sometimes swap drives or open the door for other reasons and the SATA cables (connected to a PCI-Card) are somewhat moved/loosened when I close the door again (or to many times), which results in drives not appearing. Well there is very less space for the cables heading out of the drives, horizontally.

So my thought was, that there might be more options for finding places in the Mac Pro, when one could fit the G4 parts in it. There are the drawers, there is the space before that where a G5 has its CPU(s) and fans and there is the top space, where the Mac Pro has its PSU (and a G5 its two Drives).

It would be interesting and little expensive mod. Definitely doable, though time consuming. Please create a build thread if you'll decide to do it. Good luck!
Well, of course I have to look at the price point. I am still watching some defective Mac Pros on Ebay, though I do find only less than a few. But, while I think about it, it might be to much work anyway, so I will more likely not do it.

Thanks, though!