PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls all around

rainman::|:|
Dec 16, 2002, 09:57 AM
Okay, here's my situated. When I started using X, and got my broadband connection, i immediately started using a 3rd party firewall, BrickHouse. I loved it's customizability and selective blocking options, as well as logging abilities. When I upgraded to Jaguar, i stopped using it because Jag has a built-in firewall. My question is this: How reliable is the built-in firewall? Should i turn it off and use something else, for the extra options? or can i simply trust it to do it's job without my intervention at all? it's such a weird thing, i've become so used to lengthy in-depth configurations that i feel lost without them :)

thanks!
pnw

Thirteenva
Dec 16, 2002, 10:15 AM
pre-jaguar versions of OS X also had built in firewalls.

Also brickhouse is not a firewall, its just a graphic interface to easily customize settings of the firewall built into OS X.

So you've been using the built in firewall all along, and you won't need a third party firewall for normal computer use(cruising the web and such). The built in firewall is just fine.

rainman::|:|
Dec 16, 2002, 11:03 AM
That makes sense, i never thought of it. I had been concerned about a certain program that could access the internet without me making an allowance for it, but i just figured out that it uses HTTP commands anyway...

Well, at any rate, i know i'm secure! :)

Thanks!
paul

pantagruel
Dec 16, 2002, 07:36 PM
yeah the firewall in Jag is the same thing you were using before, only know its easier to setup and you dont need a program like brickhouse to make it easier anymore. it works really well actually but Im going to get another one called NetBarrier X.