PDA

View Full Version : Dual Layer DVDs--Stable?

whiteg
Oct 27, 2005, 10:20 PM
Hi All. I just upgraded to a Dual 2.0 machine and am wondering a bit about the Dual Layer DVD technology;;;;;

mkrishnan
Oct 27, 2005, 10:23 PM
It's far from an exhaustive response, but from what I understand, DL as a format is new to DVDR, but has always been a part of the DVD standard from a reading perspective. There have been DL video DVDs for ages.

Bear
Oct 27, 2005, 10:58 PM
If you files fit on a CD use a CD, otherwise use a DVD. (Not dual layer until they're cost effective. And then only if you need the space for the backup.)

Make at least two backups using different brands of media and don't use Memorex or CompUSA DVD media. I recommend Fuji, TDK, SOny and Maxell.

Keep the backups in a cool place...not damp.. and in the dark for best life.
Also keep a backup off site so in case the worst happens.

TheMonarch
Oct 27, 2005, 11:18 PM
Make a double backup, just in case. Assuming its that important to you.

~Shard~
Oct 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
I, too, have wondered about the overall longevity of DL DVDs. They seem to have entered the market at a bit of an awkward time, where DVDs are the norm, DL DVDs are still a bit pricey (although getting better), and Blu Ray is just around the corner. Will DL DVDs eventually be a passing fad, surpassed by Blu Ray? Or will DVDs themselves fall by the wayside, leaving DL DVDs and Blu Ray?

Sort of off topic, I know, but sort of applicable as well. ;) :cool:

Bear
Oct 28, 2005, 07:36 AM
Or will DVDs themselves fall by the wayside, leaving DL DVDs and Blu Ray?
...Since DVDs and DL DVDs are part of the same specification, they will either both stick around or both go away.

DVDs aren't going away that fast. People won't stand for their video libraries being unusable if their DVD player dies. And as for computer usage, too many things are archived on DVD for it to go away too soon.

BluRay drives should also support reading current DVDs (single and DL). I do know that I will make another copy (or 2) of my photo archive on BluRay recordables when they come out. Partially so I don't have to worry about the longevity question and partially so I can have a copy of the archive on a lot fewer disks. I'll be keeping the old DVD until they're unusable. (Either degraded media or can't get DVD readers anymore.)

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2005, 08:21 AM
Since DVDs and DL DVDs are part of the same specification, they will either both stick around or both go away.

DVDs aren't going away that fast. People won't stand for their video libraries being unusable if their DVD player dies. And as for computer usage, too many things are archived on DVD for it to go away too soon.

BluRay drives should also support reading current DVDs (single and DL). I do know that I will make another copy (or 2) of my photo archive on BluRay recordables when they come out. Partially so I don't have to worry about the longevity question and partially so I can have a copy of the archive on a lot fewer disks. I'll be keeping the old DVD until they're unusable. (Either degraded media or can't get DVD readers anymore.)

All very good points - there is probably nothing to worry about for the foreseeable future.

MacTruck
Oct 28, 2005, 09:11 AM
Blue ray right around the corner? I don't think so. DVDs have been around now for over 10 yrs and we finally are getting DVD burners. I wouldn't expect a blue ray burner for another 5 yrs. Backing up to a hard drive is fine but they can go bad without notice. DVDs can get scratched too. I myself put my important data on 2 backup drives and I burn to DVD. Its the only safe option.

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2005, 09:37 AM
Blue ray right around the corner? I don't think so.

Actually Blu Ray is coming very soon. The PS3 will support it, for one. At least year's CES Pioneer was showing off the technology as well, the display was impressive. Looking forward to seeing what's at this year's CES - already have my ticket booked and everything! :cool:

So yes, Blu Ray is right around the corner. When it will be widely adopted by the masses is another question of course, but that's not what we're talking about here....

DVDs have been around now for over 10 yrs and we finally are getting DVD burners.

Actually Apple has had Superdrives for quite a number of years now, so this isn't somethnig we are "just getting". :p ;)

I wouldn't expect a blue ray burner for another 5 yrs.

Actually Blu Ray burners were also demonstrated at CES last year, and Blu Ray writeable drives are going to be hitting the shleves for PCs next month. So, 5 years is just a little bit off, how about 5 weeks instead? :p ;)

Sure, they'll be expensive, as any technology is when it is first released, but the fact is, they will be out there, and as I said initially, Blu Ray is definitely around the corner. :cool:

Sdashiki
Oct 28, 2005, 11:50 AM
DVD burners did not come out when they introduced the standard.

And they certainly werent as prevalent as they are today in stock PCs

So I think he meant that burners ARE years off. And hes probably right when it comes down to writing over 2X and not paying $5000 for the burner.

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2005, 12:19 PM
DVD burners did not come out when they introduced the standard.

And they certainly werent as prevalent as they are today in stock PCs

So I think he meant that burners ARE years off. And hes probably right when it comes down to writing over 2X and not paying $5000 for the burner.

Perhaps that may be what he meant, but if so, he was not clear. The original comment was that Blu Ray technology itself was around the corner, and that was the comment he responded to. The comment was not "Blu Ray technology is coming soon however more cost-effective media and burners, etc. will still be a ways off as far as the mainstream public is concerned". As I said above, with any new technology, you pay a premium when it is first released. Regardless, the fact remains, Blu Ray is not 5 years away.

So I think he meant that burners ARE years off.

And as I mentioned above, they are not. Blu Ray writeable drives (although not cheap) begin shipping next month in the Middle East. :cool:

qzak
Oct 28, 2005, 12:34 PM
just to make things clear, Dual Layer DVDs are not something new. The dvds you buy in the stores are DL DVDs.

A single layer dvd is what you're used to using in a dvd burner, and the DL dvds are actually the same thing, but it has a whole nother layer actually glued ontop of the first layer, thus being able to hold twice as much. Yes, all this is obviously microscopic. The difference is the dvds you buy are actually pressed, so it took them a little while to figure out how to be able to burn dual layers with a laser for home use. The drives have been out for a year or so now, but the costs of the blanks are still pretty stiff.

just from reading some of the above posts i got the feeling some people thought DL DVDs were a new format, just wanted to reassure 'em that it's not, it's actually more like what you buy than your previous blank dvds.

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2005, 01:27 PM
just to make things clear, Dual Layer DVDs are not something new. The dvds you buy in the stores are DL DVDs.

just from reading some of the above posts i got the feeling some people thought DL DVDs were a new format, just wanted to reassure 'em that it's not, it's actually more like what you buy than your previous blank dvds.

Thanks for your post, but I don't think anyone here thinks DL is a new format - at least I didn't gather that from any of the initial posts, evidently you did...

aristobrat
Oct 28, 2005, 02:59 PM
2) Is DL DVD so esoteric that it will become like Beta tapes--hard to find a player for or necessary to change media in a few years?
In thinking about what the OP asked above, my answer would have been very simliar to qzak's, in that since DL-DVDs have been out for so long (and are so popular), I don't think it'll suffer the same fate that Beta experienced.

Most of the folks that I've talked to about DVDs had no idea that the movies they by from Wal*Mart or rent from BlockBuster are all almost always DL DVDs. :confused:

whiteg
Oct 28, 2005, 05:14 PM
lllll

~Shard~
Oct 28, 2005, 05:19 PM
As for Blue Ray (whatever that is), it'll just have to wait for my next quadruple dual Intel G8 Powerbook. :)

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Blu Ray (no "e") before. It and HD-DVD are the next major formats for DVDs. Just Google it and you'll find a myriad of information on it - for that matter, just search MacRumors and you'll find cuontless discussions on it as well!

And your welcome for the input, always glad to help... :cool: