PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 4 issue

XpandaX
May 5, 2013, 07:08 PM
Hey Everybody,
(first post)

I have a 466 iBook that I wanted to turn into an iTunes jukebox. The HDD is 10 GB and it seems like upgrading is a total pain in the ass. So I have a big SD card plugged in through USB and I wanted to transfer my library onto the card so I can load up some music. The only guides I could find on how to do this were for a lot newer versions of iTunes; I have 4.7. So it would be great if anybody could tell me how to move the library to an external drive.

thanks

eyoungren
May 5, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hey Everybody,
(first post)

I have a 466 iBook that I wanted to turn into an iTunes jukebox. The HDD is 10 GB and it seems like upgrading is a total pain in the ass. So I have a big SD card plugged in through USB and I wanted to transfer my library onto the card so I can load up some music. The only guides I could find on how to do this were for a lot newer versions of iTunes; I have 4.7. So it would be great if anybody could tell me how to move the library to an external drive.

thanks
Move the iTunes library, but make an alias (delete the word alias in the filename) to it and leave it in the same place on your hard drive where the original library was.

I used to do this to fake out an older version of iTunes that my library was local when it was actually sitting on my PowerBook at home (after connecting to the PB via Appletalk).

XpandaX
May 5, 2013, 07:37 PM
How do you actually move the library though? Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

eyoungren
May 5, 2013, 07:46 PM
No problem.

Go here: Macintosh HD>Users>~username>Music. Inside the Music folder is the iTunes Library folder. Grab that folder and drag it to whatever folder you want it in on the external drive. Drop it. It will start copying. When it's done, move the iTunes Library folder on the Mac (not the external drive) to the desktop. On the external drive make an alias of the iTunes Library folder. Move that alias to the Macintosh HD>Users>~username>Music folder. Be sure to delete the word "alias" from the alias file name.

Open iTunes and test to see if this worked. If it does, then you can delete the iTunes Library folder that's on your desktop.

XpandaX
May 5, 2013, 07:48 PM
thanks bunches man

eyoungren
May 5, 2013, 07:55 PM
thanks bunches man
No problem!

MisterKeeks
May 6, 2013, 07:49 PM
Why are you using iTunes 4.7?

Nyy8
May 6, 2013, 08:46 PM
Maybe that's the max his OS supports?

MisterKeeks
May 7, 2013, 08:01 PM
Maybe that's the max his OS supports?

If he really is running 10.1, I really do feel sorry for him.