PDA

View Full Version : EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014

MacRumors
May 6, 2013, 10:53 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/ea-says-the-sims-4-will-be-coming-to-the-mac-in-2014/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/NewImage2.pngEA has announced in a blog post (http://www.ea.com/news/maxis-unveils-the-sims-4) that its Maxis studio will release The Sims 4 for the Mac and PC in 2014.

The company released no other details about the game, but said more information would be forthcoming.
Today we are revealing to our top fans the fact that The Sims(TM) 4 is coming to PC and Mac in 2014.

The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.On another note, the new Sim City will arrive on the Mac (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/10/simcity-arrives-on-the-mac-june-11th-with-cross-platform-servers/) June 11th.

Article Link: EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/ea-says-the-sims-4-will-be-coming-to-the-mac-in-2014/)

lilianeloirinha
May 6, 2013, 10:59 AM
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.

uttamo
May 6, 2013, 11:01 AM
Let's hope it's not as terribly executed as the new SimCity.

Simplicated
May 6, 2013, 11:04 AM
Probably this game will be crippled by yet another always-on DRM. Brace yourself for another launch disaster.

MsQueen
May 6, 2013, 11:08 AM
No one wants your Stay-Online-To-Play crap, EA.

Parasprite
May 6, 2013, 11:11 AM
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.

The Sims and Simcity were pretty cool when I had Windows 95 and games were limited to what your computer could run (and store on your cramped hard drive). That ship has sailed for me a long time ago.

yusukeaoki
May 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
Coming out with PC version! - DELAYED
Coming Spring 2013! - DELAYED
Coming late 2013! - DELAYED
Coming in 2014! - NEW

T'hain Esh Kelch
May 6, 2013, 11:18 AM
"A spokesman from EA told Macrumors that the game will be released in 2014 and be playable in 2015."

madsci954
May 6, 2013, 11:18 AM
I have a few choice words about EA. But seeing as if I say them here I will get the ban-hammer, I'll keep it to myself.

Michael Goff
May 6, 2013, 11:21 AM
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

We shouldn't support this sort of thing at all.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.

Tetra84
May 6, 2013, 11:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

TouchMint.com
May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM
This would be a great chance to bring the "freedom" model to the PC market! ;)

Codyak
Fool me once...

Kissaragi
I know a few people that the main reason they wouldn't get a mac is because they cant run the sims properly without bootcamp and stuff, so this is good news.

Im sure it will be an orgy of EA hate in here but more games are always good thing.

Northgrove
May 6, 2013, 11:41 AM
What sealed this for me was the atrocious AI that's in this game. It's one thing to reverse some "political" DRM decision in the future, but I've seen few, if any, games from EA that have reworked such core concepts. This is one game where I'll look in the history books to make my decision.

Some guy
May 6, 2013, 11:43 AM
EA tried to prevent piracy, and by doing so created a much bigger problem.

Their customers no longer trust them.

baller1308
May 6, 2013, 11:45 AM
I'm sure it won't be released at the same time on both platforms. So I'm guessing late 2014 release for Mac.

Pinkie Pie
May 6, 2013, 11:48 AM
Unless this game is incredible, The Sims 3 will be my last stop. It's been a great 13 years but I'm ready to get off the Sims upgrade treadmill. x_x

ArtOfWarfare
May 6, 2013, 11:51 AM
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.

No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".

Simplicated
May 6, 2013, 11:52 AM

:rolleyes: Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.

Cougarcat
May 6, 2013, 11:56 AM
Let's hope it's not as terribly executed as the new SimCity.

The Sims dev team is different than SimCity's. That said, they are both controlled by EA...

mrxak
May 6, 2013, 12:08 PM
I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be so hilarious watching EA screw up another popular franchise, I really can't wait.

Michael Goff
May 6, 2013, 12:10 PM
No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".

And yet tons of people enjoy those games.

A lot of EA games are fun.

And no, not all whining on the internet is justified. A lot of EA hate isn't.

:rolleyes: Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.

Wait.

A company cares just about money? I mean, it's like you're telling me that the main purpose of a company is to make money or something.

Nah, that can't be true. It's just EA.

:rolleyes:

Risco
May 6, 2013, 12:13 PM
No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...

Michael Goff
May 6, 2013, 12:16 PM
No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...

This is what we call a 'valid complaint'.

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be that way. Maybe they'll have learned their lesson. We can only wait until the first reviews show up (after release) and hope for the best.

the8thark
May 6, 2013, 12:22 PM

I thought the prime directive of all companies was to earn more money?
Sure EA go about this a lot less ethically then most. To the point people are revolting against them.

Simplicated
May 6, 2013, 12:23 PM
Wait.

A company cares just about money? I mean, it's like you're telling me that the main purpose of a company is to make money or something.

Oh I love people who are in denial. Of course, companies exist to make money, are you implying that companies can make as much money as they want, even unethically? Almost every EA game you see nowadays is riddled with DLCs (and expansion packs) that are unreasonably priced. They also sell expansion packs that cost as much as a full game.

Just look at the Sims 3, they actually are selling the expansion pack, The Sims 3: Pets, of which the concept has already been implemented in The Sims 2: Pets. If this is not blatant money grabbing, what is it?

Maybe you're rich, which I don't care, but I wouldn't support a company that brazenly steals your money.

motoracer1486
May 6, 2013, 12:27 PM
Do not want - EA can keep their DRM ridden games for themselves.

Michael Goff
May 6, 2013, 12:30 PM
Oh I love people who are in denial. Of course, companies exist to make money, are you implying that companies can make as much money as they want, even unethically? Almost every EA game you see nowadays is riddled with DLCs (and expansion packs) that are unreasonably priced. They also sell expansion packs that cost as much as a full game.

Just look at the Sims 3, they actually are selling the expansion pack, The Sims 3: Pets, of which the concept has already been implemented in The Sims 2: Pets. If this is not blatant money grabbing, what is it?

Maybe you're rich, which I don't care, but I wouldn't support a company that brazenly steals your money.

A company being unethical? Yes, it is bad. But just about every company out there, even Apple, does unethical things. If we're going to boycott every company that does something wrong (we probably should, really), then we're not going to have any companies.

spazzcat
May 6, 2013, 12:51 PM
Can't wait to see how bad they mess this one up. Lets just say I will not be preordering it...

----------

A company should be in business to proved a service or product. If they do it well they should be reward by making money.

Kissaragi
May 6, 2013, 12:52 PM

It should be a native build, not a quick and dirty port like sims 3.

acorntoy
May 6, 2013, 12:54 PM
I love the sims.

But I just don't trust EA enough to buy it :-(

----------

A company being unethical? Yes, it is bad. But just about every company out there, even Apple, does unethical things. If we're going to boycott every company that does something wrong (we probably should, really), then we're not going to have any companies.

True, but after many awful wrongs its probably time to send the company a message.

Risco
May 6, 2013, 12:59 PM
It should be a native build, not a quick and dirty port like sims 3.

Mmm, well lets see how Sim City turns out in that case!

Battlefield Fan
May 6, 2013, 01:05 PM
"A spokesman from EA told Macrumors that the game will be released in 2014 and be playable in 2015."

*released early 2014 and playable by LATE 2015 (December 31st)

I preordered SC and got boned :/

ArtOfWarfare
May 6, 2013, 01:26 PM

A lot of EA games are fun.

And no, not all whining on the internet is justified. A lot of EA hate isn't.

Wait.

Better companies are led by visionaries who come up with awesome products then leave it to other people to determine how to maximize profits, IE, Apple led by Steve Jobs.

EA is led by businessmen milking a franchise for all it's worth - whether the products are any good or customers are happy don't factor into their equations, and it doesn't really matter because they have a revolving door market - new people continuly enter to replace the old disassatisfied customers.

Christoffee
May 6, 2013, 01:29 PM
I was just about to moan about always-on-line, DRM crippling. I see you guys are on the ball!

PassiveSmoking
May 6, 2013, 01:44 PM
If it's like Sim City, you'll be able to have 2 sims living in a wardrobe, and when they try to go to their job they'll spend 20 minutes repeatedly walking into the wall.

Yvan256
May 6, 2013, 01:51 PM
Always-online, DRM-infested game running in a Windows emulation layer?

Can't wait to buy it! /sarcasm :rolleyes:

JCsHands2
May 6, 2013, 01:51 PM
I hate DRM, but really what I hate about the Sims 3 is that its slow! My rMBP plays it as well as my 4 year old PC does. I gave up on playing it on my Mac, I don't have 40 GBs to dedicate to one game and all of its addons.

komodrone
May 6, 2013, 02:11 PM
everyone says "no thanks, not buying. stupid DRM"
sims 4 gets released: "record sales".

Michael Goff
May 6, 2013, 02:18 PM
Can't wait to see how bad they mess this one up. Lets just say I will not be preordering it...

----------

A company should be in business to proved a service or product. If they do it well they should be reward by making money.

That's a good one.

I love the sims.

But I just don't trust EA enough to buy it :-(

----------

True, but after many awful wrongs its probably time to send the company a message.

And being named "worst company in America" twice in a row isn't a message? I mean, somehow they're supposedly worse than companies that helped wreck the economy.

Better companies are led by visionaries who come up with awesome products then leave it to other people to determine how to maximize profits, IE, Apple led by Steve Jobs.

EA is led by businessmen milking a franchise for all it's worth - whether the products are any good or customers are happy don't factor into their equations, and it doesn't really matter because they have a revolving door market - new people continuly enter to replace the old disassatisfied customers.

And they just happen to make a lot of money off it.

Oh, and they happen to need you to buy iPhones every couple of years for.. errr.. engineering reasons! Yes! I mean, Apple does it because they're the good guys.

Stop kidding yourself. No company is a white knight trying to help everyone. If they do it while they make money, then all the better. But don't assume any company is going to put you ahead of profits.

Pentad
May 6, 2013, 02:30 PM
Before everyone gets too excited, this is the company that is pushing always on Internet DRM.

I pre-ordered the Sims 5 for the PC (Bootcamp) and was psyched to play it. However, the DRM did nothing but kill the enjoyment for me. Please feel free to read through user comments on Amazon to see what it is like here (http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/product-reviews/B007VTVRFA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1).

I am afraid the Sims 4 will have the same or worse DRM. :(

-P

guzhogi
May 6, 2013, 02:42 PM

That's one gripe I have the The Sims line. There are so many expansions. And if you ever get a new computer or even a new hard drive/fresh install, you have to install one expansion pack after another. I'd love an all-in-one deal. If there are 4 expansion/stuff packs, make a bundle that you just have to install one of. I know that EA sometimes bundles The Sims and an expansion pack, but there are still a dozen other packs that you need to install individually.

ValtermcPires
May 6, 2013, 02:52 PM
Beware, DLC are coming!

Brittany246
May 6, 2013, 03:07 PM
How is this news?

lotzosushi
May 6, 2013, 03:25 PM
Well according to The Verge they said there will be no always-online DRM. Hurrah?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/6/4305146/the-sims-4-announced-for-2014

roadbloc
May 6, 2013, 03:57 PM
Ironic that a company with the word Arts in it's name does nothing but deliver the complete opposite.

Kissaragi
May 6, 2013, 04:03 PM
That's one gripe I have the The Sims line. There are so many expansions. And if you ever get a new computer or even a new hard drive/fresh install, you have to install one expansion pack after another. I'd love an all-in-one deal. If there are 4 expansion/stuff packs, make a bundle that you just have to install one of. I know that EA sometimes bundles The Sims and an expansion pack, but there are still a dozen other packs that you need to install individually.

Something like Premium on bf3 would be good for the sims.

Nightarchaon
May 6, 2013, 04:57 PM
Will it charge you in realtime for each wall, texture, item of furniture, item of clothing you use, and will you also get billed quarterly for your sims household bills, electric if you buy them lights, water if you want them to shower or drink, and if you don't pay your taxes the police/fire wont show up if your burgled/on fire , so don't buy them a TV or you have to foot the cable bill.

I am unconvinced ill ever be buying from EA again, going to stick to buying my games from steam, which handily EA don't sell on anymore.

Mass Effect 3 (Turned my RPG into a bad gears of war clone, shoe horned multiplayer in where it wasn't needed), Battlefield 3 (pay to win via unlocks) and the SimCity, always online, Sim-District not sim city off it all spoiled the game.

If it wasn't for the Xbox players of the core EA FPS franchises and the SPorts Franchise that all buy the same game slightly repackaged every year, EA wouldn't make ANY money, would they ?

Michael Goff
May 6, 2013, 04:59 PM
Will it charge you in realtime for each wall, texture, item of furniture, item of clothing you use, and will you also get billed quarterly for your sims household bills, electric if you buy them lights, water if you want them to shower or drink, and if you don't pay your taxes the police/fire wont show up if your burgled/on fire , so don't buy them a TV or you have to foot the cable bill.

I am unconvinced ill ever be buying from EA again, going to stick to buying my games from steam, which handily EA don't sell on anymore.

Mass Effect 3 (Turned my RPG into a bad gears of war clone, shoe horned multiplayer in where it wasn't needed), Battlefield 3 (pay to win via unlocks) and the SimCity, always online, Sim-District not sim city off it all spoiled the game.

If it wasn't for the Xbox players of the core EA FPS franchises and the SPorts Franchise that all buy the same game slightly repackaged every year, EA wouldn't make ANY money, would they ?

You're quite right. If the people that enjoyed their product didn't buy it they'd be out of business. As opposed to every other company, that can do quite well without their established fan-bases buying their products.

rsnapeuk
May 6, 2013, 05:00 PM
Wouldn't go anywhere near EA - after my experience with Simcity. It still doesn't open.

bniu
May 6, 2013, 08:51 PM
Here's my deal with DRM. I don't care if it's there or not. However, if it's there, it needs to stay out of my way, as in, I wouldn't know it was there.

Sims 3 DRM is fine with me, I don't really notice it, it stays in the background. DRM that prevents me from playing my legitimately purchased products is what aggravates me.

If a company is going to sell me a product, that product had better be available on demand when I want to play it. When I sit down to play a game, I want to play, and I don't care what excuses they may have, there is no excuse that is acceptable, I don't even care if their office hosting their server caught fire and burned down, when I bought the game, I wanted to be entertained, and I don't care to understand if they don't deliver.

negativzero
May 6, 2013, 11:14 PM
DRM is fine by me, game developers are definitely entitled to protect their games against piracy.

What irks me is the always-online requirement which is totally unnecessary for most games. Except MMOs.

If EA screws over its fanbase with that BS in Sims4 again, I reckon many people will resort to pirating the game at release.

Solomani
May 6, 2013, 11:36 PM

TS3 is nearly 4 years old, and it's still not playable for the vast majority of OSX gamers that bought the MacOSX version of the game.

(Thanks to the technology known as crappy Cider (Mac) ports).

So here's to hoping that TS4 might possibly be playable by.... 2019! :D

bumblebritches5
May 7, 2013, 02:23 AM
I know a few people that the main reason they wouldn't get a mac is because they cant run the sims properly without bootcamp and stuff, so this is good news.

Im sure it will be an orgy of EA hate in here but more games are always good thing.

********, the Sims 2 and 3 both supported Mac, I tried convincing my sisters to get a Mac with that fact, they of course don't want one because they're expensive as hell and have hardly any apps available.

AppleFanatic10
May 7, 2013, 02:33 AM
Wow, I was actually thinking about buying Sim City for my mac, but since you guys say it's so bad... Maybe that's not such a good idea.

mrxak
May 7, 2013, 03:20 AM
Wow, I was actually thinking about buying Sim City for my mac, but since you guys say it's so bad... Maybe that's not such a good idea.

SimCity is neither a simulation, nor a city. The agents are a lie, the tiny towns you're able to build are a joke, and the game doesn't work very well at all. There's also the complete irrelevance of the always-online thing they force you to have, and their constant dissembling about it's importance to the functioning of the "simulation". Add in bugs, a host of features missing that were staples of previous games in the franchise, and terrible AI.

I think Sims 4 will be more truer to the franchise than SimCity ended up being. They know what Sims players want and expect. The problem really is that Sims players are already getting screwed on DLC. EA has been milking them for years and they've been going along with it.

Really, it's the Sim's players who encourage EA to try this stuff with their other franchises, since they've been so successful at it.

Nightarchaon
May 7, 2013, 03:43 AM
You're quite right. If the people that enjoyed their product didn't buy it they'd be out of business. As opposed to every other company, that can do quite well without their established fan-bases buying their products.

You mean like apple right ? that was sarcasm right ?

Im getting better at recognizing it i think :D

But seriously, EA play it safe, they release a re-skin, every year, with little to no actual game-play changes , it makes me sad, Mass Effect was a game changer, and i am bitterly disappointing to see it devolve from amazing story driven space opera RPG to gears of war clone.

Seems the trigger happy people who don't want the game to tell a story, they just want to shoot people in an arena, are where EA wants it market to be, sell them the game, then sell them an unlock for better weapons at half the price of the game again, then if you want to play and actually be able to compete, you'll also have to drop more money or live with being cannon fodder for paying masses.

Kissaragi
May 7, 2013, 06:27 AM
********, the Sims 2 and 3 both supported Mac, I tried convincing my sisters to get a Mac with that fact, they of course don't want one because they're expensive as hell and have hardly any apps available.

You might notice i said 'properly'. The sims 3 was a terrible port that runs incredibly badly.

A lot of people are enjoying simcity, it has its problems but I still find it fun.

Michael Goff
May 7, 2013, 09:18 AM
You mean like apple right ? that was sarcasm right ?

Im getting better at recognizing it i think :D

But seriously, EA play it safe, they release a re-skin, every year, with little to no actual game-play changes , it makes me sad, Mass Effect was a game changer, and i am bitterly disappointing to see it devolve from amazing story driven space opera RPG to gears of war clone.

Seems the trigger happy people who don't want the game to tell a story, they just want to shoot people in an arena, are where EA wants it market to be, sell them the game, then sell them an unlock for better weapons at half the price of the game again, then if you want to play and actually be able to compete, you'll also have to drop more money or live with being cannon fodder for paying masses.

Mass Effect 2 was more fun than the original.

I haven't played 3, refuse to because of the Day One DLC thing.

But, yeah, I don't fault EA for playing it safe and raking in tons of cash. Every company wishes they had that ability.

ArmCortexA8
May 7, 2013, 10:09 AM
I will never buy any EA Sims game because I refuse to support or finance anything that uses any method of DRM, or any enforced functionality or application management e.g. forcing people to be online to play offline gaming. I buy a game I decide when and how I decided to play it. I will always work around any DRM schemas, including cracking and patching. EA will not tell me what to do with a game I purchase - ever.

Nightarchaon
May 7, 2013, 10:15 AM
Mass Effect 2 was more fun than the original.

I haven't played 3, refuse to because of the Day One DLC thing.

But, yeah, I don't fault EA for playing it safe and raking in tons of cash. Every company wishes they had that ability.

ME2 was a better balance of RPG and shooting, it hit a sweet spot, ME3 was poor because you could see how the area your character was stood in was a multiplayer arena that they shoehorned a story moment around,

Day one DLC ? it was only day one DLC if you bought the game 2nd hand, it was free to all 1st time purchasers wasn't it (I am assuming you mean the Prothian squad mate ? and quest to get him ?)

i am hoping that the current trend towards microtransactions will, like 3D movies, have a peak then actually start damaging sales and revenue (people are now over the 3D movie gimmick and are choosing to pay less and see a film in 2D, hopefully people will start to avoid microtransaction laden games in favor of a pay-once get everything game)

i have nothing against day one DLC to encourage purchasing new and not 2nd hand, and as a DRM model it doesn't suck too much. I also enjoy well presented DLC like Lair of the shadow broker and bring down the sky, as methods of getting more money down the line out of a franchise.

What i don't like is the Horse armor/new outfits DLC, or the spend real money to get resources to make ammo, or to complete a repair NOW instead of waiting 15 minutes, microtransactions that EA seem to be pushing for more and more, hopefully people will avoid these games in the future,

Then we have the sims, a game that's going to take microtransactions to a whole new low..if this releases before the awards for worst company and doesn't get EA its hat trick Worst company award next year ill eat my hat.

Michael Goff
May 7, 2013, 11:14 AM
ME2 was a better balance of RPG and shooting, it hit a sweet spot, ME3 was poor because you could see how the area your character was stood in was a multiplayer arena that they shoehorned a story moment around,

Day one DLC ? it was only day one DLC if you bought the game 2nd hand, it was free to all 1st time purchasers wasn't it (I am assuming you mean the Prothian squad mate ? and quest to get him ?)

i am hoping that the current trend towards microtransactions will, like 3D movies, have a peak then actually start damaging sales and revenue (people are now over the 3D movie gimmick and are choosing to pay less and see a film in 2D, hopefully people will start to avoid microtransaction laden games in favor of a pay-once get everything game)

i have nothing against day one DLC to encourage purchasing new and not 2nd hand, and as a DRM model it doesn't suck too much. I also enjoy well presented DLC like Lair of the shadow broker and bring down the sky, as methods of getting more money down the line out of a franchise.

What i don't like is the Horse armor/new outfits DLC, or the spend real money to get resources to make ammo, or to complete a repair NOW instead of waiting 15 minutes, microtransactions that EA seem to be pushing for more and more, hopefully people will avoid these games in the future,

Then we have the sims, a game that's going to take microtransactions to a whole new low..if this releases before the awards for worst company and doesn't get EA its hat trick Worst company award next year ill eat my hat.

Ah, something learned.

As for the "worst company" award... it is the dumbest competition in the history of competitions.

Rossatron
May 7, 2013, 11:21 AM
i can't understand people who play sims:confused: its more boring than watching paint dry

Kissaragi
May 7, 2013, 11:59 AM
i can't understand people who play sims:confused: its more boring than watching paint dry

Lucky everyone is different or it would be a very boring world.

mslide
May 7, 2013, 12:26 PM
I refuse to support or finance anything that uses any method of DRM, or any enforced functionality or application management

Yet you own Apple products?

Nightarchaon
May 7, 2013, 01:24 PM

You cant watch paint dry, unless you first buy the decorating pack, and watching paint dry pack..

Extra colours other than white are $0.69 each

Rossatron
May 7, 2013, 02:21 PM
You cant watch paint dry, unless you first buy the decorating pack, and watching paint dry pack..

Extra colours other than white are $0.69 each

I laughed IRL :D:D:D

johnnnw
May 7, 2013, 10:45 PM
Are they going to claim it's only playable online again?

bumblebritches5
May 7, 2013, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=Kissaragi;17239554]You might notice i said 'properly'. The sims 3 was a terrible port that runs incredibly badly.

Oh, I never actually tried playing it, I've never been into The Sims lol.

ArmCortexA8
May 8, 2013, 02:53 AM
Yet you own Apple products?

WTF has that got to with DRM for games? I don't support any DRM based games, and I will and do crack / bypass these schemes via various methods. All my music / movies are DRM free.

Nightarchaon
May 8, 2013, 03:24 AM
As for the "worst company" award... it is the dumbest competition in the history of competitions.

its actually quite useful, in that it highlights bad companies to the general public, EAs 2nd win a row hit the international news, along with the reason WHY it had been chosen..

This can only be good in the long run, if people see an EA logo and start to equate that with a bad product, or being ripped-off then EA will have to change its marketing and products to avoid further bad press.

Its easier to get bad press than it is to get good press, the news like failure and cock-ups more than they like success stories.

----------

Are they going to claim it's only playable online again?

EA appears to be saying ALL its future games are only online playable.. its now the DRM of choice for them

Also means that they can choose to turn the servers off and stop you playing the game unless you upgrade to the new version at some point in the future.

Kissaragi
May 8, 2013, 07:43 AM
EA appears to be saying ALL its future games are only online playable.. its now the DRM of choice for them

Also means that they can choose to turn the servers off and stop you playing the game unless you upgrade to the new version at some point in the future.

They have infact confirmed sims 4 will be playable offline.

Nightarchaon
May 8, 2013, 08:58 AM
They have infact confirmed sims 4 will be playable offline.

Maybe they are infact capable of learning from the consumer backlash...

but i will wait for launch and see how else they manage to cripple it..

stark93
May 8, 2013, 09:08 AM
If anyone read/listened to the broadcast of the announcement, The Sims 4 WILL be playable offline.

http://www.simified.com/2013/05/07/the-sims-4-to-be-playable-offline/

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 09:11 AM
its actually quite useful, in that it highlights bad companies to the general public, EAs 2nd win a row hit the international news, along with the reason WHY it had been chosen..

This can only be good in the long run, if people see an EA logo and start to equate that with a bad product, or being ripped-off then EA will have to change its marketing and products to avoid further bad press.

Its easier to get bad press than it is to get good press, the news like failure and cock-ups more than they like success stories.

No, it really isn't. Any competition that says a mediocre publishing company is worse than companies that crashed the economy is worthless.

Kissaragi
May 8, 2013, 09:37 AM
No, it really isn't. Any competition that says a mediocre publishing company is worse than companies that crashed the economy is worthless.

It seems if your an angry gamer that messing up the launch of simcity is a worse event than merely crippling the worlds economy.

Rossatron
May 8, 2013, 09:46 AM
wait wait wait

when you say playable offline, d'you mean playing with no internet connection for the DRM, or offline like playing solitaire? because if it's the latter, i can't understand why someone would like to play a human, doing mundane human things, but with no real interaction, just with NPC's.

Nightarchaon
May 8, 2013, 10:48 AM

Its what the company did THAT year, not previous years.

Its like saying no other film should get any Oscar nominations this year except gone with the wind...

Sure the banks screwed us, and continue to screw us, but in the same way the oil, electric, water, gas, power, supermarkets ETC ETC do, EA is finding new and interesting ways to stick two fingers up at us on each new release.

Michael Goff
May 8, 2013, 10:53 AM
It seems if your an angry gamer that messing up the launch of simcity is a worse event than merely crippling the worlds economy.

That's only if you're a self-absorbed idiot.

Its what the company did THAT year, not previous years.

Its like saying no other film should get any Oscar nominations this year except gone with the wind...

Sure the banks screwed us, and continue to screw us, but in the same way the oil, electric, water, gas, power, supermarkets ETC ETC do, EA is finding new and interesting ways to stick two fingers up at us on each new release.

2011 and 2012 had giant banking scandals. Remember the robo-signing? Remember the banks trying to foreclose (and succeeding) on property they didn't even own? I'm sure that somehow a mediocre game is worse than kicking people out of their own homes.

iryanaway
May 8, 2013, 10:26 PM
That's only if you're a self-absorbed idiot.

2011 and 2012 had giant banking scandals. Remember the robo-signing? Remember the banks trying to foreclose (and succeeding) on property they didn't even own? I'm sure that somehow a mediocre game is worse than kicking people out of their own homes.

:eek: How much do they pay you? You obviously must work for them... I can understand defending a company, but Ive been reading through this forum and your comments are only showing the blatant insensitivity that the rest of the people in this forum are so upset with EA about, I truly hope the people at EA do not agree with your posts Michael Goff, because that would be a sad sign for the company

Michael Goff
May 9, 2013, 09:05 AM
:eek: How much do they pay you? You obviously must work for them... I can understand defending a company, but Ive been reading through this forum and your comments are only showing the blatant insensitivity that the rest of the people in this forum are so upset with EA about, I truly hope the people at EA do not agree with your posts Michael Goff, because that would be a sad sign for the company

Insensitivity is saying that people who are kicked out of their homes by robosigning don't have it as bad as people who can't play a freaking game. It's a game, people. If you spent 60$ on it and can't play it for a week, you can still eventually play it. If you've been paying tens of thousands of dollars on a house and it gets foreclosed on for no reason? You're out of a house.