PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Unveils iPad-Compatible Smart Stylus and Digital Ruler

MacRumors
May 6, 2013, 02:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/adobe-unveils-ipad-compatible-smart-stylus-and-digital-ruler/)

Alongside new Creative Cloud (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/adobe-announces-new-creative-cloud-apps-abandons-creative-suite/) software, Adobe today announced (http://xdce.adobe.com/mighty/) two new cloud-enabled hardware offerings: the "Project Mighty" stylus and the "Napoleon" guide and ruler.

The Mighty is a pressure sensitive stylus that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth to allow digital artists to create line drawings with variable widths based on pressure. According to TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/adobe-debuts-project-mighty-smart-stylus-for-tablets-and-napoleon-a-digital-ruler-and-guide/), the pen is able to store a number of preferences and settings, including color palette themes, brushes, and assets saved in a cloud clipboard.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/projectmighty.pngThe Mighty pen itself looks similar to something like the Jot Touch 4 pressure sensitive pen, but with full access to Adobe's Creative Cloud services behind it. It's a little like an entire artist's box in a single device, judging by what Adobe has shown us on stage today. It also takes advantage of non-stylus touch, too, in a way that looks novel, allowing users to do things like erase with their free hand.Adobe's Napoleon is designed to function alongside the stylus, allowing users to draw straight lines and arcs, much like traditional drafting tools.

Both the Mighty and the Napoleon remain in the development phase, with few details available and no launch date announced.

Article Link: Adobe Unveils iPad-Compatible Smart Stylus and Digital Ruler (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/adobe-unveils-ipad-compatible-smart-stylus-and-digital-ruler/)

bushido
May 6, 2013, 02:09 PM
looks neat, if only the iPad screen would be more touch sensitive

Some guy
May 6, 2013, 02:09 PM
This doesn't compensate for what you've done with your Creative Suite, Adobe.

komodrone
May 6, 2013, 02:10 PM
Every inanimate object is getting smarter, and we're all getting dumber.

adildacoolset
May 6, 2013, 02:15 PM
Am I the only one who feels like the name for the ruler is odd? Not that I'm criticising it, but naming a digital ruler after a French emperor who wanted to conquer an entire continent is a bit... strange

----------

I hope adobe release an SDK, and it gets widely adopted. This looks like a good idea

andrew78
May 6, 2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe they'll come out with a gadget that just draws stuff for us.

needfx
May 6, 2013, 02:20 PM
I really hope they are 4g enabled so I can ok-glass them

APlotdevice
May 6, 2013, 02:21 PM
A digital ruler is something I've wanted to see for a long time. Though I don't think a physical device is really necessary. If the pen tip can be distinguished from normal finger input, then a ruler could potentially be created by just placing two or three fingers on the screen.

Anyway, it's good to see one of the big boys finally bringing serious art tools to the iPad. It shocks me that Wacom is still just pumping out rubber-tipped metal rods.

deanbo
May 6, 2013, 02:23 PM

That's called technological progress.

olowott
May 6, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hope we dont have to use the adobe app to make use of this cool looking pen :rolleyes:

needfx
May 6, 2013, 02:32 PM
Hope we dont have to use the adobe app to make use of this cool looking pen :rolleyes:

Alongside new Creative Cloud software, Adobe today announced two new cloud-enabled hardware offerings: the "Project Mighty" stylus and the "Napoleon" guide and ruler.

I don't see them working with any other app

Loyalty4Life
May 6, 2013, 02:37 PM
Who cares? They just alienated a large portion of their user base by switching to this stupid creative cloud junk.

APlotdevice
May 6, 2013, 02:39 PM
Am I the only one who feels like the name for the ruler is odd? Not that I'm criticising it, but naming a digital ruler after a French emperor who wanted to conquer an entire continent is a bit... strange
To be fair these are project names, and so will most likely change before the products are actually released.

RolyPolyBird
May 6, 2013, 02:41 PM
I can't imagine Apple are thrilled with them using the "Mighty" name.

ThunderSkunk
May 6, 2013, 02:44 PM
Or Adobe could just make a decent vector based app, like Inkpad, that allows you to work more accurately and faster with fewer, better optimized drawing commands and requiring no hardware and no monthly subscription fee just to access a few tool settings. But then, where's the bilking in that?

Adobe's really batting em out of the park today...

nagromme
May 6, 2013, 02:54 PM
I can envision a day when I throw up my hands and boycott every Adobe product on the desktop... while enjoying really cool Adobe stuff on my iPad!

iPad Photoshop and Adobe Ideas are both impressive apps already. If their stylus gets third party support (ArtRage, Procreate) then that's probably a sale for me! Hopefully not priced insanely.

(Adobe... hardware?)

dampfnudel
May 6, 2013, 03:02 PM

Speak for yourself.:D

dearlaserworks
May 6, 2013, 03:17 PM

Because he was also a short ruler.

johnny5k
May 6, 2013, 03:18 PM

Funny you should mention that.. I was at the announcement, and the presenter actually said "We called it Napoleon because it's a short ruler." No lie.

EDIT: Gah! Beat to the punchline!

4TheLoveOfTech
May 6, 2013, 03:33 PM
I can't imagine Apple are thrilled with them using the "Mighty" name.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O6eKSMsRP1o/USbtKhlGiZI/AAAAAAAAA1s/RhpazLU51BE/s1600/mighty_mouse2-tm.jpg

I don't think Mighty Mouse was thrilled to have a mouse literally named after him. He probably sued and they changed the name to Apple Mouse.

That darn Mouse is so arrogant. You'd think he would have put a Trademark on his name.

Oh wait they did sue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

"On October 20, 2009, the wireless Mighty Mouse was discontinued and replaced by the multi-touch Magic Mouse. The wired version of the device remains available, but was renamed the "Apple Mouse" as of the same date, due to trademark issues with another manufacturer of a device named "Mighty Mouse".[1]"

Jessica Lares
May 6, 2013, 03:45 PM
I'm really excited about that ruler. I hope it's not limited to just Adobe stuff, because that could be an amazing tool.

mdelvecchio
May 6, 2013, 04:06 PM

like this device, he was small but got a lot done.

RolyPolyBird
May 6, 2013, 04:18 PM
Image (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O6eKSMsRP1o/USbtKhlGiZI/AAAAAAAAA1s/RhpazLU51BE/s1600/mighty_mouse2-tm.jpg)

I don't think Mighty Mouse was thrilled to have a mouse literally named after him. He probably sued and they changed the name to Apple Mouse.

That darn Mouse is so arrogant. You'd think he would have put a Trademark on his name.

Oh wait they did sue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

"On October 20, 2009, the wireless Mighty Mouse was discontinued and replaced by the multi-touch Magic Mouse. The wired version of the device remains available, but was renamed the "Apple Mouse" as of the same date, due to trademark issues with another manufacturer of a device named "Mighty Mouse".[1]"

heheh good old mighty mouse. I forgot all about that.. still seems like a lame name though.

jlc1978
May 6, 2013, 08:17 PM
Because he was also a short ruler.

Oddly enough, Napoleon was of normal height (5' 6") but an error in converting to English units took about 4" off his height; the rest is history.

So, instead of short it may merely be inaccurate...

Solomani
May 6, 2013, 09:46 PM

Could have been worse. They could have given them names like the "Adobe Hitler" or "The Stalin Stylus".

John.B
May 6, 2013, 11:32 PM
Are these subscription only as well? :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo
May 6, 2013, 11:43 PM
I'm really excited about that ruler. I hope it's not limited to just Adobe stuff, because that could be an amazing tool.

It certainly sounds like it is intended to work alongside their cloud based apps. I would love this if not for that. We shall see.

Yield85
May 7, 2013, 01:04 AM
Could have been worse. They could have given them names like the "Adobe Hitler" or "The Stalin Stylus".

How does Napoleon end up in that category? Oh must have been when he was freeing Jewish people from ghettos and trying to set them up in their own homeland. Just like Hitler and Stalin...

I am pretty excited about these products though. Why won't they give us a date!

Solomani
May 7, 2013, 01:24 AM
Are these subscription only as well? :rolleyes:

Even worse. You have to be connected online... connected to "the Cloud" in order to operate the devices. :eek:

ThunderSkunk
May 7, 2013, 02:05 AM
How does Napoleon end up in that category? Oh must have been when he was freeing Jewish people from ghettos and trying to set them up in their own homeland. Just like Hitler and Stalin...!

Or maybe it has less to do with jews, and more to do with when he killed millions of people, many of his own, tried and nearly succeeded carving up and taking over the world, looting, raping and pillaging whole cultures and unleashing brutal hell on millions more people, ruining the lives of unfathomable numbers of people. Americans like to think of the French as sissies, but they conveniently overlook the ruthless effectiveness of a motivated french military.

Anyway, having to use a ruler and straightedge to draw in what is billed as a vector app is an embarrassment.

Bubba Satori
May 7, 2013, 07:40 AM
Who cares? They just alienated a large portion of their user base by switching to this stupid creative cloud junk.

Thank goodness Apple isn't alienating a large portion of their user base by switching to that stupid cloud junk. :rolleyes:

K-Rob
May 7, 2013, 08:36 AM
Pretty damn cool seeing it in action

http://youtu.be/ULKXTKZor3A

Arelunde
May 7, 2013, 12:07 PM
I can't believe Adobe is giving up on traditional programs and going to cloud-ONLY with monthly subscriptions. This isn't for everyone. I run a very small graphics biz and just shelled out the bucks for CS6 in addition to having CS3. NOW they tell us no more support other than bug fixes unless we sign up for monthly fees?????

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, ADOBE??? :(

Amazing Iceman
May 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
I can't believe Adobe is giving up on traditional programs and going to cloud-ONLY with monthly subscriptions. This isn't for everyone. I run a very small graphics biz and just shelled out the bucks for CS6 in addition to having CS3. NOW they tell us no more support other than bug fixes unless we sign up for monthly fees?????

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, ADOBE??? :(

They are thinking ways to make more money... that's all :D

Renzatic
May 7, 2013, 12:32 PM
I can't believe Adobe is giving up on traditional programs and going to cloud-ONLY with monthly subscriptions.

They're not giving up on traditional programs, just traditional ideas of how you own and use them.

To get on topic, this is pretty cool, but I still think it'd be better if Apple just included a digitizer built into the iPad screen. Still, this is a nice "next best thing" option.

Rossatron
May 7, 2013, 12:35 PM
shut up and take my money!