PDA

View Full Version : Can Samsung get away with putting down the iPhone in their commercials?

bidoof01
May 6, 2013, 07:30 PM
Can Apple sue for defamatory?

DayOfChaos
May 6, 2013, 07:34 PM
No, because the iPhone isn't mentioned anywhere and nether is Apple's logo. It is only referred to as "my phone" and can mean anything. You know it is an iPhone and that was Samsung's point.

I personally thing Samsung's latest commercials are genius.

Shrink
May 6, 2013, 07:37 PM

Defamatory what??:confused:

No, they can't get away with it. It's a crime. Put the ad guys, the Samsung guys, the cameraman, the director, and every other person involved in jail.:eek:

And now for a serious answer...no, it's not a violation of FCC regulations, and Apple can't sue for defamatory...

:rolleyes:

Troneas
May 6, 2013, 07:42 PM
even if they did mention the iphone and/or show the apple logo - which they clearly didn't... have anything they said in the commercial not true?

osofast240sx
May 6, 2013, 07:50 PM
It's free advertisement for Apple. Amazing how Samsung has to use apple to market their own products.

Michael CM1
May 6, 2013, 07:59 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/apple-leaps-to-6-in-latest-fortune-500-rankings/

Apple = quaking in boots.

Mrbobb
May 6, 2013, 08:09 PM

Channeling John McEnroe: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

I believe someone made a counter-Ad and I think it made it worse.

If u can't take a few, you will have LOTS of trouble in your life.

Applejuiced
May 6, 2013, 08:20 PM

I doubt it.
They were doing the same to Microsoft for years.
You remember those commercials "Hi I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC"

SprSynJn
May 6, 2013, 08:29 PM
It's free advertisement for Apple. Amazing how Samsung has to use apple to market their own products.

That's what I thought when I heard about it. You'd think they'd have enough confidence in their own products without having to resort to that.

JAT
May 6, 2013, 08:35 PM
No, because the iPhone isn't mentioned anywhere and nether is Apple's logo. It is only referred to as "my phone" and can mean anything. You know it is an iPhone and that was Samsung's point.

I personally thing Samsung's latest commercials are genius.

Uh, that's all meaningless. There is a current ad for Windows/Nokia phone that mentions both iPhone and Galaxy by name, and clearly shows both products.

There simply is no defamation in the Samsung ads, they show a few 'new' features that the iPhone doesn't have.

Rajani Isa
May 6, 2013, 08:39 PM
And now for a serious answer...no, it's not a violation of FCC regulations, and Apple can't sue for defamatory...

The OP wasn't talking FCC - but rather more like basic slander/libel laws.

That's what I thought when I heard about it. You'd think they'd have enough confidence in their own products without having to resort to that.

And it's a recycled commercial, basically.

Smearbrick
May 6, 2013, 08:42 PM

Defamation? Is that what you mean?

sarcosis
May 6, 2013, 08:53 PM
They can do it legally as long as they are not lying. It's not illegal to point out your features are better an to exploit stereotypes, but the moment you are caught lying, it becomes slander since its spoken on an tv ad and you can then sue for damages.

Jordan921
May 6, 2013, 09:12 PM
No, it's just free advertisement for Apple.

thekev
May 6, 2013, 09:19 PM
All I see in the OP is a very successful troll.

617aircav
May 6, 2013, 10:18 PM

It's actually a good ad.

aziatiklover
May 6, 2013, 10:25 PM
Apple cant do nada about it! It is like pepsi against coke back in the days.

Mrbobb
May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM
I can't believe the people responding to this thread as in all serious.

taedouni
May 6, 2013, 11:10 PM
Samsung never mentioned Apple in their commercials. I wasn't able to see an Apple logo. And even if they did, they didn't lie in their commercials. They essentially showed their device's features that a competitor can't do.

GoCubsGo
May 6, 2013, 11:49 PM
The things people worry about these days.

adder7712
May 7, 2013, 01:11 AM
Has been done before by other companies (including Apple).

kevinof
May 7, 2013, 02:37 AM
Remember the Coke vs Pepsi ads? its nothing new.

The-Real-Deal82
May 7, 2013, 03:33 AM
They can get away with it but it doesn't send out the right impression for me. Any company that feels the need to put down a rival to boost their own sales has a rather weak marketing strategy IMO. Apple have done this too in the past and I don't think its the right way. The product should speak for itself really and consumers quickly get tired of silly court battles and marketing snipes.

Krimsonmyst
May 7, 2013, 03:51 AM
They can get away with it but it doesn't send out the right impression for me. Any company that feels the need to put down a rival to boost their own sales has a rather weak marketing strategy IMO. Apple have done this too in the past and I don't think its the right way. The product should speak for itself really and consumers quickly get tired of silly court battles and marketing snipes.

I don't think the most recent ad is putting Apple down though. The ad they made outside the Apple store did, but this one just cleverly shows off features that the iPhone doesn't. It's not derogatory, it's not defamatory, it's just clever marketing.

RetepNamenots
May 7, 2013, 03:56 AM

*cough* Mac vs PC *cough*

The-Real-Deal82
May 7, 2013, 04:05 AM
I don't think the most recent ad is putting Apple down though. The ad they made outside the Apple store did, but this one just cleverly shows off features that the iPhone doesn't. It's not derogatory, it's not defamatory, it's just clever marketing.
I saw some of the adverts last year but admit I haven't seen many of the new ones. I must admit when adverts come on I often leave the room to get a drink or pick up the iPad so often miss such things. I was just aware some comapnies do it and coming from a marketing background I just don't think its the strongest approach a company can use. Just my opinion though and forums like this prove people take notice because you wouldn't get so many people passionate about hating a brand they don't buy :)
*cough* Mac vs PC *cough*
Did you not read my post all the way through then? *cough*
Apple have done this too in the past.....

Krimsonmyst
May 7, 2013, 04:22 AM
I saw some of the adverts last year but admit I haven't seen many of the new ones. I must admit when adverts come on I often leave the room to get a drink or pick up the iPad so often miss such things. I was just aware some comapnies do it and coming from a marketing background I just don't think its the strongest approach a company can use. Just my opinion though and forums like this prove people take notice because you wouldn't get so many people passionate about hating a brand they don't buy :)

Did you not read my post all the way through then? *cough*

Google the pool party s4 ad...curious to hear your thoughts

unlinked
May 7, 2013, 04:37 AM

Don't Apple usually put down their competition when they launch iOS products these days. Pretty sure they made fun of the Nexus 7 when they launched the iPad Mini.

The-Real-Deal82
May 7, 2013, 04:52 AM
Don't Apple usually put down their competition when they launch iOS products these days. Pretty sure they made fun of the Nexus 7 when they launched the iPad Mini.
Am I speaking to a brick wall here or something?!

Apple as as bad as anyone. Why are people giving examples of Apple using such tactics like they want me to defend them?

Are you expecting me to turn around and say if Apple do it I agree with it but condemn their rivals for doing exactly the same? My point was to give my opinion on the style of marketing, not to pick sides and throw examples back and forth to justify it like some of you.

----------

Google the pool party s4 ad...curious to hear your thoughts
I haven't seen it. Is it likely to be something I would be pro or against based on my opinions here do you think?

ChazUK
May 7, 2013, 05:16 AM
No.

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/60/52/001002/redmond-photocopiers.jpg

Just no.

eawmp1
May 7, 2013, 05:24 AM

No. Apple will sue for theft of intellectual property because THEY originated the idea of mocking the competition ever since 1984.

Twixt
May 7, 2013, 05:40 AM

Can people sue others for stupidity ?

Shrink
May 7, 2013, 05:55 AM
The OP wasn't talking FCC - but rather more like basic slander/libel laws

I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV), but if I understand the libel law (slander is for spoken offenses), a couple of conditions must be met...the writer must know that the statements are false, and there must be malicious intent.

As I said, not being a lawyer, this is all conjecture on my part, and worth as much as any conjecture is worth...nothing!:p

Can people sue others for stupidity ?

OMG!

Aren't the courts clogged enough already. If that were possible, the entire legal system would grind to a total, and irreversible, halt.

sk1wbw
May 7, 2013, 06:59 AM

Exactly. Apple makes commercials showing what you can DO with their products, and Samsung makes commercials making fun of other products and Microsoft just makes nonsense crap all the time.

walie
May 7, 2013, 07:19 AM

BAHAHAHAHA

have you seen any political ads during election time?

mattopotamus
May 7, 2013, 07:21 AM
I thought it was a good commercial. IMO, it showed the one good use for air gestures, and that is when you are eating. Clearly it worked since we all watched it when it came on.

Krimsonmyst
May 7, 2013, 07:22 AM
Exactly. Apple makes commercials showing what you can DO with their products, and Samsung makes commercials making fun of other products and Microsoft just makes nonsense crap all the time.

Samsung's latest GS4 ad shows the new camera features, air view, preview gestures, NFC beaming and a few other things - so how is that not showing what your phone can do?

KentuckyHouse
May 7, 2013, 07:44 AM
Is this OP for real? C'mon...you're pulling our legs, right OP?

Good lord. :rolleyes:

Fireblade
May 7, 2013, 08:06 AM
I hope they won't stop, with this kind of ads.
But I do hope that Apple will do better ads, because their current ads are just horrible.

TheHateMachine
May 7, 2013, 09:31 AM

Please review the latest S4 ad and even the S3 ads and demonstrate to us how those commercials did not show things the Galaxy phones could do.

Also, I will point you to the old PC vs Mac ads where PCs came off as old, uncool, full of viruses and seemed to be the butt of ever joke while the Mac was the hip thing to use because it came in multiple colours!

sentinelsx
May 7, 2013, 09:33 AM
10/10. Troll school achievement unlocked: Super Troll.

daveathall
May 7, 2013, 10:20 AM
TBH, all they are are commercials, not bothered either way, I find them less annoying but more amusing than the current crop of Apple adverts that every now and again a word is shouted by a group of people.

But thats how adverts work, if they are amusing or annoying one remembers them. (Think "Go compare" in the UK). :)

0dev
May 7, 2013, 10:36 AM
Apple cant do nada about it! It is like pepsi against coke back in the days.

DijFob8vxgI

:p

paulsalter
May 7, 2013, 10:39 AM
Is this a US thing or do I just miss the adverts when they are on in the UK?

When I see an ad for Apple, Samsung, HTC or whatever, they just point out what the product does, no mention of competitors at all

0dev
May 7, 2013, 10:41 AM
Is this a US thing or do I just miss the adverts when they are on in the UK?

When I see an ad for Apple, Samsung, HTC or whatever, they just point out what the product does, no mention of competitors at all

Samsung's famous Apple bashing ads don't get aired in the UK, which is a shame because I actually find them funny. Apple's Mac vs. PC ones used to be aired here years ago back when the campaign was still going.

Here's one of Samsung's anti-Apple ads they air in the US. Like I said, I like these, I think they'd to well in the UK too, it's a shame Samsung is slacking on their UK marketing even when they're so popular here:

QR8A3T6sPzU

paulsalter
May 7, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cheers, will have to check some more out on youtube

Tinmania
May 7, 2013, 10:49 AM
Did you actually watch the S4 ad? It shows what the S4 can DO. Imagine that.

Michael

The-Real-Deal82
May 7, 2013, 11:09 AM
Samsung's famous Apple bashing ads don't get aired in the UK, which is a shame because I actually find them funny. Apple's Mac vs. PC ones used to be aired here years ago back when the campaign was still going.

Here's one of Samsung's anti-Apple ads they air in the US. Like I said, I like these, I think they'd to well in the UK too, it's a shame Samsung is slacking on their UK marketing even when they're so popular here:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QR8A3T6sPzU)
It shows Samsung don't need to approach the UK market by slagging off companies like Apple to get sales. Perhaps we are a little more savvy or their market research showed the UK consumer is turned off by negative marketing?

If sales are good for Samsung and they are, they don't need such methods.

sk1wbw
May 7, 2013, 11:26 AM
Did you actually watch the S4 ad? It shows what the S4 can DO. Imagine that.

Michael

So one commercial negates the whole other **** and filth that Samsung spews?

Dmaynard83
May 7, 2013, 11:29 AM
My gf hates the iphone and always talks crap about it when it's a topic. When an apple commercial came on she was like "what phone is that, I want it..... Dammit (after seeing the apple logo)"

Just saying apples commercials are really good as well.

sentinelsx
May 7, 2013, 11:29 AM
Troll school achievement unlocked: "Master troll (get 3 pages of replies)".

Good job OP.

Tinmania
May 7, 2013, 11:43 AM
So one commercial negates the whole other **** and filth that Samsung spews?
Wow.... you really are taking this to heart, aren't you? This is freaking hilarious. :D:D:D

Michael

sk1wbw
May 7, 2013, 11:46 AM
Wow.... you really are taking this to heart, aren't you? This is freaking hilarious. :D:D:D

Michael

No, you seem to think I am. I think Samsung commercials should focus on what the phone does and they should stay away from the trollish commercials like they have done in the past.

That's pathetic advertising.

bmac4
May 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
No, you seem to think I am. I think Samsung commercials should focus on what the phone does and they should stay away from the trollish commercials like they have done in the past.

That's pathetic advertising.

Is it really pathetic? Is Coke or Pepsi pathetic for using the other one in their commercials? No one seems to have a problem when those companies put each other down. Why is Samsung different? This is marketing it works and a lot of people like it. If Apple did not like it they have every right to do something about it, but guess what they don't. It is only people on these type of forums that even give a crap about these commercials.

paulsalter
May 7, 2013, 12:13 PM
It shows Samsung don't need to approach the UK market by slagging off companies like Apple to get sales. Perhaps we are a little more savvy or their market research showed the UK consumer is turned off by negative marketing?

If sales are good for Samsung and they are, they don't need such methods.

Not sure what the reasons are for it (they would probably get sued over here for that)

For me though, If I watched an ad for a product and all I saw was negativity for the competition I would lose interest in the ad/product

If someone wants to advertise something to me, tell me what it can do, whats good about it, why should I but it, I don't want to hear any comments about the competition

0dev
May 7, 2013, 12:28 PM
Not sure what the reasons are for it (they would probably get sued over here for that)

No they wouldn't, Apple ran their Mac vs. PC ads here without any legal problems.

sk1wbw
May 7, 2013, 12:31 PM
Is it really pathetic? Is Coke or Pepsi pathetic for using the other one in their commercials? No one seems to have a problem when those companies put each other down. Why is Samsung different? This is marketing it works and a lot of people like it. If Apple did not like it they have every right to do something about it, but guess what they don't. It is only people on these type of forums that even give a crap about these commercials.

You market your product by selling it's strengths. Just saying. Everything else is a waste of money imho. Especially that stupid Nokia wedding commercial which does nothing to promote or market the Nokia.

0dev
May 7, 2013, 12:41 PM
Everyone saying "just show what the product does" isn't understanding advertising.

I'll just quote one of my old posts: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16781829#post16781829)

I also want to point out that advertising is not about selling a product, it's about selling a lifestyle.

Apple's current line of ads sell a fantasy land where everything just works instantly and perfectly and you're surrounded by happy family members. Like the one for the panoramic photo feature where the guy takes a photo of a line of kids. The message in all these ads is, you buy this phone, and you will have a seamlessly happy life. This of course reflects Apple's "everything just works" rhetoric.

Notice how there's an underlying tone even in Apple's ads? They are not about the features themselves at all. Who cares about the panorama feature really? We all know every other phone on the market has had it for years. But the demonstration of it in the ad is about the lifestyle of the person using it. And notice how we never see who's using the phone either. That's because you're meant to fill it in with yourself.

The bottom line is, Apple's ads are not meant to make you go "I have to buy this phone because it has a panoramic photo feature" or "I need this noise cancelling mic." It's meant to appeal to your emotions and make you buy the iPhone because at some subconscious level you believe it will make you happier and make your life better. That is how advertising works.

Now look at Samsung's ads here. They're going for a different approach but they're aiming for a similar result. You see these famous actors talk up Samsung and use these phones and you're laughing along. It makes you feel good about Samsung as a company and you think, hey, "these guys are cool, if I get one of those phones I'll be cool as well."

That's why attack ads work so well too. They play to emotions. Ads like this work because they take advantage of the us vs. them mentality of phone geeks and, again, they create comic value.

If anything Samsung's ads are a lot less patronising to their potential customers. They're not saying "we need to sit you down and show you how to use a camera", they're saying "we have the latest features right here, right now, let other people wait a few years and get it yourself today."

If you are going to criticise advertisements you have to keep all this in mind. The golden rule of advertisements is that they do not sell a product, they sell a lifestyle. Whether or not they show what the product does isn't even important. What matters is that they make the viewer associate the right positive emotions towards the company trying to sell whatever it is they're selling.

paulsalter
May 7, 2013, 12:52 PM
Everyone saying "just show what the product does" isn't understanding advertising.

I'll just quote one of my old posts: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16781829#post16781829)

Perhaps I don't understand how advertising works

But I can say for me personally, I want to know what the product I am buying does

I can't think what the new Samsung add looks like, will watch out for it on the TV

The Apple one you mention about taking the panoramic photo, when I see this I just think, AND.....what are you trying to sell me, this way of advertising does not work for me

Phil A.
May 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
Sure - Anyone can sue anyone for anything they want to (including defamation).

However, Apple would have no chance of winning and it would probably get thrown out of court though and they'd get a bit of a slap for bringing a frivolous lawsuit ;)

0dev
May 7, 2013, 01:00 PM
Perhaps I don't understand how advertising works

But I can say for me personally, I want to know what the product I am buying does

I can't think what the new Samsung add looks like, will watch out for it on the TV

The Apple one you mention about taking the panoramic photo, when I see this I just think, AND.....what are you trying to sell me, this way of advertising does not work for me

This is how advertisers think and it's what most people respond to regardless. Most ads on TV today don't demonstrate the product. Just look at the successful Compare the Market ads. They say absolutely nothing about the website they're advertising, they just make people laugh because there's talking Russian meerkats.

paulsalter
May 7, 2013, 01:06 PM
This is how advertisers think and it's what most people respond to regardless. Most ads on TV today don't demonstrate the product. Just look at the successful Compare the Market ads. They say absolutely nothing about the website they're advertising, they just make people laugh because there's talking Russian meerkats.

I agree with you on this, and the ads do get me talking about them

But they don't make me think, "I have to buy that", "I must use compare the meerkat for my car insurance" etc

The current ad for Sony phones, where they are taking pictures in India, I believe, all brightly coloured, doesn't give me any reason to buy a Sony phone, unless I only wanted to use it for photos

0dev
May 7, 2013, 01:10 PM

But they don't make me think, "I have to buy that", "I must use compare the meerkat for my car insurance" etc

The current ad for Sony phones, where they are taking pictures in India, I believe, all brightly coloured, doesn't give me any reason to buy a Sony phone, unless I only wanted to use it for photos

Those meerkat ads do work though. I've seen a lot of people ask about car insurance and get told to "check out the meerkats." And if you're looking for insurance or an energy supplier or something the meerkats thing might jog your memory. They stick in your head and get you talking.

I agree those Sony ads are crappy though, they don't make me laugh, they don't show off the brand or the product, and they're not particularly memorable.

paulsalter
May 7, 2013, 01:26 PM
Those meerkat ads do work though. I've seen a lot of people ask about car insurance and get told to "check out the meerkats." And if you're looking for insurance or an energy supplier or something the meerkats thing might jog your memory. They stick in your head and get you talking.

Understand what you mean, they stick in your sub conscious and then you think about them later

Anytime, time for some good old uk tv now with some annoying ads :)

Rajani Isa
May 7, 2013, 01:29 PM
I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV), but if I understand the libel law (slander is for spoken offenses), a couple of conditions must be met...the writer must know that the statements are false, and there must be malicious intent.

As I said, not being a lawyer, this is all conjecture on my part, and worth as much as any conjecture is worth...nothing!:p

OMG!

Aren't the courts clogged enough already. If that were possible, the entire legal system would grind to a total, and irreversible, halt.

It's still what he/she was asking about - not saying that it would of been a viable lawsuit. Which is why (in part) you don't have Apple initiating such a lawsuit.

And you could sue someone for stupidity if you wanted. Not going to promise you wouldn't get slapped down/fined for it though.

The-Real-Deal82
May 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
If I pushed my company to market our products by criticising our competitors we'd be sued pure and simple. It's a little different to a phone company as people rely on our products to save their lives in operating theatres, well at least the doctors do lol. Unfortunately consumers are swayed by silly tit for tat on adverts and forums and features are often realised once the product is purchased I'm sure.

Tinmania
May 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
I think you are painting all advertising with too broad of a brush. It depends on the product you are trying to sell. As seen on TV ads, for example, absolutely sell on features and product demonstration. There are a heck of a lot of as seen on TV ads.

When the iPhone came out few knew what it was or what it could. So the original ads showed how it worked and what it could do ("this is how you turn it on").

But now that the iPhone is well-known sure it can be sold by lifestyle. One could argue that it has to without major new features. Coke can't sell on features either ;).

Michael

Big Dave
May 7, 2013, 01:38 PM
Whatever inferior product commercial has the scene where the guy rips open his shirt to reveal a giant Apple logo tatoo is my favorite. I honestly don't remember which phone the commercial is for but I think of the folks on MR when the guy shows his tatoo.

Tinmania
May 7, 2013, 01:42 PM
Whatever inferior product commercial has the scene where the guy rips open his shirt to reveal a giant Apple logo tatoo is my favorite. I honestly don't remember which phone the commercial is for but I think of the folks on MR when the guy shows his tatoo.

Kinda funny you don't remember the phone. It was Windows phone making fun of the Apple vs Samsung bickering. :D

Michael

The-Real-Deal82
May 7, 2013, 01:44 PM
I saw that advert too but admit I couldn't remember the intended product. I think it did Apple more favours than they probably intended lol.

onthecouchagain
May 7, 2013, 01:55 PM
even if they did mention the iphone and/or show the apple logo - which they clearly didn't... have anything they said in the commercial not true?

Took the words right out of my mouth. Or the question, rather.

Big Dave
May 7, 2013, 02:00 PM
Kinda funny you don't remember the phone. It was Windows phone making fun of the Apple vs Samsung bickering. :D

Michael

Oh ok. A Windows phone. I am afraid of the word Windows now as it reminds me of my dislike of Vista and Windows 8. Maybe I was mentally blocking.

onthecouchagain
May 7, 2013, 02:06 PM
You market your product by selling it's strengths. Just saying. Everything else is a waste of money imho. Especially that stupid Nokia wedding commercial which does nothing to promote or market the Nokia.

You know very little about marketing. Showing your product being better than a competitor's product is a STAPLE in marketing.

----------

So if that's the example you want to use to claim marketing against the competition is bad or unsuccessful marketing, what do you say to people who don't want to buy everything based on a commercial that does show what the product does?

For example, the iPhone 5 ad that shows the amazing noise cancellation feature did not make me want to buy an iPhone 5. Would you say then that that's an ineffective ad?

Just trying to keep things consistent here.

----------

PS. Where's the Youtube link to one of the first iPhone ads? It didn't show the iPhone in action at all. All it showed was people picking up telephones and saying hello. Then the iPhone came in at the end implying this is the new way you'll pick up your phone.

I think it's a great ad. All these people claiming that a good ad has to show what the phone can do would have to say this is a bad iPhone ad.

Consistency, please.

Found it. So according to a lot of people here, this is a bad ad:

6Bvfs4ai5XU

bmac4
May 7, 2013, 02:36 PM

Samsung promotes it's strengths too. They also promote strengths they think they have over the competition. I am not saying I totally agree with hoe they go about it, but that seems to be the way companies market these days. People singling out Samsung like they are the only company that does it is crazy. Yes I know people get a bit too excited when people talk badly about Apple, but come on.

Look at the Ford commercials that show people driving the Escape or the Fusion. All of them are talking how much better the Ford is then their car. Some people even go as far as to say the name of the car they have. We all know these are not real customers, but paid actors. Do you have a problem with these ads? If people do then why is there not an out cry about it?

Edit: here is one of the Ford commercials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruK8hnpKWDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
How is this any different?

daveathall
May 7, 2013, 02:41 PM
I dont see anything wrong with pointing out a feature, directly or indirect that is on one's own product, that isn't included on one's rivals product in an advertisement.

onthecouchagain
May 7, 2013, 06:18 PM
I dont see anything wrong with pointing out a feature, directly or indirectly comparing a feature that is on one's own product, that isn't included on one's rivals product in an advertisement.

Yup. And like I said earlier, this is a staple technique used very very often.

AppleMark
May 7, 2013, 06:36 PM

No.

How is an advert comparing features and highlighting absent features defamatory?

It is not.

ChazUK
May 7, 2013, 10:37 PM
I don't know about you lot, but this is one of the greatest ads I've seen in a long time.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/07/zachary-quinto-leonard-nimoy-audi-ad/

Even though it's an Audi ad, it features a Mercededs in it prominently! :eek::D

Switchback666
May 7, 2013, 10:49 PM
Never seen the car commercials op ?

paulsalter
May 8, 2013, 03:17 AM
So if that's the example you want to use to claim marketing against the competition is bad or unsuccessful marketing, what do you say to people who don't want to buy everything based on a commercial that does show what the product does?

Not saying it's bad or unsuccessful

Just different

As I mentioned earlier, in the UK we mainly do not point out the negatives of the competition, ads are there to sell a product, by whatever means they chose, but talking about the competition is not one of them

If we go to the US model for ads, then I will ignore them even more than I do now

The-Real-Deal82
May 8, 2013, 03:35 AM
I think the closest thing we have in the UK to putting down competitors is supermarket ads where they point out why they are cheaper and often name rivals to make their point. Its not so much putting the opposition down but producing a price war to get more customers. They all offer different products and people will shop where convenient rather than going out of their way to get something cheaper. Not in every case, we are in a recession after all.

paulsalter
May 8, 2013, 03:41 AM
I think the closest thing we have in the UK to putting down competitors is supermarket ads where they point out why they are cheaper and often name rivals to make their point. Its not so much putting the opposition down but producing a price war to get more customers. They all offer different products and people will shop where convenient rather than going out of their way to get something cheaper. Not in every case, we are in a recession after all.

That the only thing I can think of, but like you say it's not really putting them down

It would be like an o2 ad saying we can sell you an iPhone for 450, if you go to Vodafone it will cost you 500

The-Real-Deal82
May 8, 2013, 03:51 AM
That the only thing I can think of, but like you say it's not really putting them down

It would be like an o2 ad saying we can sell you an iPhone for 450, if you go to Vodafone it will cost you 500
Indeed yeah.
As I said originally I think tit for tat advertising works in some countries and not in others. I think the UK generally gets turned off by negative marketing and people like to know why something is so good, rather than why a rival is so bad if you know what I mean? In my field if we publicly criticised our main competitors, we'd be the laughing stock of the industry. The consumer industry is very different though, and the phones market has developed very much as a team game with consumers it seems. The 'my phone is better than your phone' mentality has evolved unfortunately and this has led to big expectations that the phone companies have to try and live up to. The Samsung S4 is a great phone, but it appears it hasn't created as much excitement as the S3 because its like a iPhone 4S was to the iPhone 4. Its got some fantastic improvements but I got the impression from reading the tech sites the reception was a little muted as the expectation was built right up. That doesn't mean its not one of the best phones on the market of course. :)

Himanshus
May 8, 2013, 05:27 AM
Samsung has reduced Apple's market share by 10%. Obviously Apple will find excises to sue samsung. But this is surely not one.

aerok
May 11, 2013, 01:47 PM

You sincerely don't know how marketing works nowadays.

Some of the most succesful commercials don't talk about the strengths of products, look at GoDaddy, Volkswagen, Red Spice and many more.

0dev
May 11, 2013, 05:04 PM
You sincerely don't know how marketing works nowadays.

Some of the most succesful commercials don't talk about the strengths of products, look at GoDaddy, Volkswagen, Red Spice and many more.

GoDaddy's commercials are terrible but you're completely right, as long as it gets people talking about the ad and sticks in peoples' heads it's a quality ad.

Samsung's ads in particular often do talk about their products though. The Apple attack ones certainly do. So I don't see why that's even relevant to this thread.

Vegastouch
May 11, 2013, 05:58 PM
Apple NEVER put down Windows in their commercials :rolleyes:

0dev
May 12, 2013, 07:22 AM
Apple NEVER put down Windows in their commercials :rolleyes:

Nope, never :p

0GWYaviIzCU

That one is particularly funny because they're now basically in the same situation with Windows 8 :D

Shrink
May 12, 2013, 07:26 AM
When I took an Advertising class as an undergrad (wwwaaaaayyyyy back in the day!:o), we were taught there was an unwritten rule in advertising...never mention the competition.

That rule changed many years ago.

VulchR
May 12, 2013, 08:00 AM

If I understand the UK advertising laws correctly, it is not allowed to broadcast a commercial that ridicules a product from another company. As you note, comparisons are allowed and that is all.

In any case, I find the Samsung ads infantile and misconceived. Or at least these ads are unlikely to cause long-time Apple users to switch. I have never understood the point in mocking and ridiculing the very consumers a company wants to attract. I am considering buying a Android tablet, but I rather doubt that I will buy one from a company like Samsung that is disrespectful of potential customers.

0dev
May 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
If I understand the UK advertising laws correctly, it is not allowed to broadcast a commercial that ridicules a product from another company. As you note, comparisons are allowed and that is all.

Apple's Mac vs. PC ads aired in the UK (in fact Apple went to the expense of filming different versions with British actors) so I don't think this is true unless the ASA has only just added this rule in the past few years.

VulchR
May 12, 2013, 02:12 PM
Apple's Mac vs. PC ads aired in the UK (in fact Apple went to the expense of filming different versions with British actors) so I don't think this is true unless the ASA has only just added this rule in the past few years.

From the ASA's web site (http://www.cap.org.uk/Advertising-Codes/Broadcast-HTML/Section-3-Misleading-advertising.aspx):

'3.42 Advertisements must not discredit or denigrate another product, advertiser or advertisement or a trade mark, trade name or other distinguishing mark. '

I suppose denigrating the a competitor's customers or employees might be fair game... ;)